Conquer Club

More Game Types *To-Do*

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

More Game Types *To-Do*

Postby Haydena on Fri May 19, 2006 1:56 pm

I think it may be a good idea to expand on the game types, other than just "Standard" "Doubles" and "Triples"... Maybe change those to Singles, Doubles and Triples in a new category called "Team Sizes", and then have different game modes

Such as "Domination" (Everyone is against each other and the last one standing gets points)...

Urrm, need a name for this one, but basically you get points for the players you kill, not for being the last player standing...

Maybe another one where one player is branded as the player who must be eliminated, and each player must try to eliminate that player, but not knowing who is who (could have interesting results)

Don't know how hard these would be to code, but I for one would like to see more different game modes or options to change the gameplay away from simple Risk...
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby lilwdlnddude on Fri May 19, 2006 2:00 pm

wow. these are very interesting ways to play. lol, i like it.
Captain lilwdlnddude

Postby Haydena on Fri May 19, 2006 2:18 pm

These might come to a bit of a problem with team games though lol... Maybe only in singles games... :)

Postby kingwaffles on Fri May 19, 2006 3:26 pm

Dude, those are some sweet ideas. I would love to have some new gameplay types like that, While we're at it, what about secret mission risk?
Corporal 1st Class kingwaffles

Postby Hoff on Fri May 19, 2006 3:44 pm

Maybe we could include "mission cards" as well. That would be an interesting game type.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby Marvaddin on Fri May 19, 2006 3:56 pm

I feel no lack of mission cards... Im always trying not complete my mission until I can kill all players :twisted: It will be strange: you are the stronggest, and instantly you lose because a pathetic guy have 2 continents, ahhh! As you know, sometimes with some luck and a set you can do it in round 4, no need to do almost nothing.

About taking points for killing other players, we discussed it already... You dont need a good strategy to win, only attack the weakest, etc, etc... It removes the real competition for the first place. All or nothing is my vote.

Anyone with me? :wink:
Major Marvaddin

Postby thegrimsleeper on Fri May 19, 2006 4:06 pm

Haydena wrote:you get points for the players you kill, not for being the last player standing...

This was actually suggested once long ago... And I came up with a great name for it: [color=dark red]Cutthroat[/color].

I still think it's a great idea, and your other ones are intriguing... Except isn't "Domination" the way we're playing now?? :P

I like the "Smear-the-Queer" idea as well.

I bet they'd all get tons of mileage if lack ever found time to implement any of them...
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby Haydena on Sat May 20, 2006 6:09 am

Yeah "Domination", is what is already played, was just a name for it...

I would really like to see different ways of playing this wonderful game, and Marv, if you don't like the sound of these game types then you don't have to play them :)

Postby Marvaddin on Sat May 20, 2006 10:50 am

Haydena wrote:I would really like to see different ways of playing this wonderful game, and Marv, if you don't like the sound of these game types then you don't have to play them :)

Of course, but if I remember well, lack is not inclined to this cutthroat thing... But I know they have it in WaW, so, maybe you are in the wrong site :lol:
(Just kidding)
Major Marvaddin

mission

Postby nascarfan38124 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:01 pm

i enjoy playing the mission risk more because it is usually a shorter game and i would also like to see a capital risk where, if you dont know, each person would pick a capital from their beging territories and the objective is to capture all the capitals and if your capital is captured then you are not out of the game this gives kinda of a second chance

i would like to see these games and you can put a team mode where the teams have one mission and/or capital
Lieutenant nascarfan38124

Postby zorba_ca on Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:45 pm

While I am a fan of new game types, I am NOT a fan of "Mission" risk.

From what I understand, every player has a different "mission" to accomplish and whoever accomplishes it first wins the game.

The trouble with this format is the absence of one central goal. Without knowing what the intent is of the other players the game becomes much more based on luck than on skill (like Marv's example).

Variations such as Cutthroat, or Capitals are interesting. Even if the game had a universal mission - Just not individual missions for every player.
Major zorba_ca

Postby wacicha on Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:05 pm

since i have been on the recieving end of zorba_ca mission in the games now mainly to kick my but and take my points.. i would rather not have a different mission then to get even
Major wacicha

missions

Postby nascarfan38124 on Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:19 pm

zorba_ca wrote:While I am a fan of new game types, I am NOT a fan of "Mission" risk.

From what I understand, every player has a different "mission" to accomplish and whoever accomplishes it first wins the game.

The trouble with this format is the absence of one central goal. Without knowing what the intent is of the other players the game becomes much more based on luck than on skill (like Marv's example).

Variations such as Cutthroat, or Capitals are interesting. Even if the game had a universal mission - Just not individual missions for every player.

yea but the unknown of the missions is the best part of the game i think it makes it more exciting because you are constantly tring to figure out your opponants mission and how to counter and/or defend aganst it while still fullfilling your own mission i would like to see it and if you dont like it much then dont play it but i think it is the best way to play

PS you wrote "from what i heard" which implies you havent played it yet i suggest you should try first then post again
petebob wrote:You should drop out of school immediately--it's impinging on your game!

Re: Extra game types

Postby nascarfan38124 on Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:24 pm

Haydena wrote:I think it may be a good idea to expand on the game types, other than just "Standard" "Doubles" and "Triples"... Maybe change those to Singles, Doubles and Triples in a new category called "Team Sizes", and then have different game modes

Such as "Domination" (Everyone is against each other and the last one standing gets points)...

Urrm, need a name for this one, but basically you get points for the players you kill, not for being the last player standing...

Maybe another one where one player is branded as the player who must be eliminated, and each player must try to eliminate that player, but not knowing who is who (could have interesting results)

Don't know how hard these would be to code, but I for one would like to see more different game modes or options to change the gameplay away from simple Risk...

I like your Ideas and i think that mabye we can adapt modes of play from classic first person shooters like halo, but mabye not, just an idea
petebob wrote:You should drop out of school immediately--it's impinging on your game!

Postby zorba_ca on Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:59 pm

wacicha wrote:since i have been on the recieving end of zorba_ca mission in the games now mainly to kick my but and take my points.. i would rather not have a different mission then to get even

Not sure what that means due to the glaring lack of punctuation. :D

Insult? Compliment? I think we all know you well enough to know you're nothing but a good-hearted guy.

If I have eliminated you recently (and I only recall facing-off in a handful of games) it's not that I targeted you (I don't target anyone)... you were just in my way. :)

Getting even is the best mission there is.

nascarfan38124 wrote:PS you wrote "from what i heard" which implies you havent played it yet i suggest you should try first then post again

I would, but I can't find anyone willing. :lol:
Major zorba_ca

Re: mission

Postby everywhere116 on Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:03 pm

nascarfan38124 wrote:i enjoy playing the mission risk more because it is usually a shorter game and i would also like to see a capital risk where, if you dont know, each person would pick a capital from their beging territories and the objective is to capture all the capitals and if your capital is captured then you are not out of the game this gives kinda of a second chance

i would like to see these games and you can put a team mode where the teams have one mission and/or capital

i like his idea about capitals. Some things i would change is that you know the location of the capitals after everybody has chosen one. Also, each player on a team has a capital, and all the capitals have to be owned by one team to win.
Corporal everywhere116

Postby gulio on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:15 pm

I know it's a bit late, but are you kind of thinking like a "capture" the flag type?

Send an Army in, get the flag, and then make sure you bring that "flag" back to your capitol/flag before an enemy kills that army holding the flag - in that case it'd go back to the original spot it was hiding.
Corporal gulio

Postby wolf_man on Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:40 pm

Here's an idea I thought I'd throw out:

After one team is eliminated in a team game, the remaining team play standard style with the winner getting the lion's share of the points and the others splitting the remainder of the points.

What do you all think?
Cadet wolf_man

Postby adam3b58 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:19 pm

what about a game where, say its 3 ppl, it would be a 2v1, but the board would be treated like a 4 person game, in terms of number of territories given to each person. the 2 person team would each get 1/4, and the 1 person would get 1/2 of them.
Cadet adam3b58

Postby Stoney229 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:37 am

adam3b58 wrote:what about a game where, say its 3 ppl, it would be a 2v1, but the board would be treated like a 4 person game, in terms of number of territories given to each person. the 2 person team would each get 1/4, and the 1 person would get 1/2 of them.

The 1 person would have quite an advantage if they got a full 1/2. the percentages would have to be adjusted a bit.

I like the idea of a speed game, a real-time game where all players play simultaneously (like freestyle with more than one person taking their turn at one time) and rounds last 5 minutes max instead of 24 hours.

It'd also be nice to be able to choose the time limits (currently 24 hours and 1 hour)

Also, I like every idea that http://www.wawgame.com a implemented, but this site is just better b/c it is so much more professional(maybe that's not the right word- basically I think CC's better than WAW despite these things, but if CC implemented these it would have the best of both worlds!). But I'm always a fan for customizeability/freedom/choices as opposed to trying to figure out which is the best 1 way to implement something.

Example of WAW's game options (options in brackets are suggested but not implemented at WAW; custom values would be set by creator with all other settings):

victory type:
standard- world domination
cutthroat- cc's terminator games
[cc's cutthroat- victory goes to first player to elimate another]
paranoia- each player has a random target player. first person to have their target eliminated wins
open paranoia- paranoia, but everybody can see everydoy else's target
doubles- team
triples- team

bank limit (max number of extra armies a player can get for missing a turn... plus there's the option of allowing people to bank some and take some on a given turn):
no bank
limit 2
limit 5
unlimited
[could we do custom?]

turn delay/ time a person must wait before playing a turn again in a freestyle game (or otherwise):
1 hr
6 hrs
12 hrs
[till another player finishes a turn]
[custom?]

deadbeat elimination:
none
[(custom?) number of turns missed to deadbeat]
[(custom?) number of consecutive turns missed to deadbeat]

Bonus cards:
type 0- "no bonus cards. eliminating a player gives you 5 extra armies to deploy"
[type 0b- no bonus cards period.]
[type Xc- any type of bonus cards. plus an amount extra for eliminating a player]
type 1- bonus card progression= 3,5,7,9,12,15,25,30...
type 2- bonus card progression= 2,4,6,8,10...
type 3- equivalent to cc's "flat value"
type 4- random value between 3 and 10
[type 5- single [custom?] value for all sets]

bonus card territory specials:
standard- 2 extra armies on specific territory if you own the territory in the redeemed set
[custom- custom # extra armies on specific territory if you own the territory in the redeemed set]
cards of mass destruction aka CMD- all territories in redeemed set lose all but one battalion regardless of the owner
cards of mass reproduction aka CMR- all territories in redeemed set double battalions regardless of the owner
cards of mass confusion- player chooses CMD or CMR at time of set redemption

on/off options
reinforcement armies awarded to each player based on his/her status at the beginning of the round, as opposed to at the beginning of his/her turn (for freestyle games)
Manual allocation of armies- before gameplay begins, all players must allocate armies to given territories as they choose (as opposed to each territory automatically being assigned 3 armies). Players cannot see the allocation of other players until they have already allocated themselves.
[turn-based manual allocation (better for real-time games)- before gameplay (with attacking) begins, players take turns allocating a predefined (custom?) small amount of armies on their given territories per turn. each player can see all other players' allocations]
[manual territory selection (better for real-time games)- players take turns choosing a territory they would like to start tyhe game with. This could be done until all territories on the map are taken, or done so that each player gets to choose a predefined amount of territories, then the rest are determined randomly]
airlift fortifocations- armies can be fortified/redeployed between any of a player's territories (adjacent or non)
anonymous games- screennames of players are not revealed. (list= "Player 1, Player 2..." not "lackattack, dugcarr, marvaddin...")
war fog- players can only see enemy armies in territories adjacent to their own
capital bonus (maps must have built-in capital territories)- each player, at their reinforcement time (beginning of turn), is awarded 1 army on each capital that they own
[capital strongholds (maps must have built-in capital territories)- dice rolls defending a capital add one to the highest die (a 5,4 roll becomes a 6,4 against the attacking dice)]
[non-capital strongholds (maps must have built in stronghold territories)- stronghold coexist with, but separate from, capital territories]
revolution- a revolt may occur at the beginning of any turn on a territory owned by the player with the most territories. the odds of this happening start at zero with the first turn played [could also be done (and should be IMHO) per round] and increasing with each turn played (5%? custom?). Odds go back to zero after each revolt. I am not sure what happens when a revolt occurs- maybe all battalions in a random territory are lost but one? maybe a random territory is hand to the player w/ the smallest # of territories? maybe a random territory goes neutral?
duplicate IP restriction- a player cannot join a game that has been joined by another player using the same IP address
scoreless- game does not affect player scores.
turn lock- in a freestyle game a player cannot take a turn while another player is taking a turn.
bloodlust- tie goes to attcker instead of defender.

the only problem is.. would this be "stealing" from waw?
Lieutenant Stoney229

Postby Stoney229 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:21 am

Stoney229 wrote:
adam3b58 wrote:what about a game where, say its 3 ppl, it would be a 2v1, but the board would be treated like a 4 person game, in terms of number of territories given to each person. the 2 person team would each get 1/4, and the 1 person would get 1/2 of them.

The 1 person would have quite an advantage if they got a full 1/2. the percentages would have to be adjusted a bit.

Unless it's a small map... then the team would have a definite advantage
Lieutenant Stoney229

Mission Risk - Thumbs up

Postby mczet on Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:20 pm

Mission Risk changes the game from a simple brute force type of game, to one where you have to both try and guess other players objectives, and try to block them, while at the same time, sneak up on your own without other players figuring it out. Its much more competitive with non escalating cards and really does provide for a fluid game. Been playing exactly that way online for a few years now.

Perhaps the best aspect of the game is that is occasionally possible to slip victory right out of the jaws of defeat in a way that is never available in standard brute force games.
Private mczet

Postby Itrade on Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:51 pm

How about a king-of-the hill type game where one continent is the "hill" and has to be defended for a few turns (two or three sounds good). Or perhaps even a specific map for this.
Image My set is a bone coat-of-arms and chandelier! How cool is that?
Sergeant Itrade

Postby Crowley on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:35 am

Itrade wrote:How about a king-of-the hill type game where one continent is the "hill" and has to be defended for a few turns (two or three sounds good). Or perhaps even a specific map for this.

I like this and I've been thinking of the same idea...

If the continent is held for a certain amount of rounds - you win.

Another flavour could be:
Every player gets assigned a random continent designated The Hill (other players can not see which continnet is your hill) and if you hold that continent you get double continent bonus for the round.
Sergeant 1st Class Crowley

Postby Aries on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:45 am

I thought mission risk was already pending or rejected.
Lieutenant Aries

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions