Conquer Club

LF mapmaker for great original idea!

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

DO you think this map is playable/ Creatable

Total votes : 0

LF mapmaker for great original idea!

Postby rishaed on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Map Name:1650 Fortress or something else that would be passing
Mapmaker(s):Rishaed(Gameplay + an interested mapmaker :D
Number of Territories:
Special Features: Different types of guilds providing different bonuses in terms of information and abilities! They would be the Merchants ( and Black Market) Guilds, Police, Assassins Guild, Thieves Guild. With six different regions (Harbor, Middle, Rich , Royal, Marketplace and Poor districts) in a city environment would be nice. Assassin abilities would be 1 way attacks with the Guild on VIP people in the city. Merchant ability would be to see Police and VIP's. *Black Market Assassins and Thieves Marketplace= no fog with one territory owned in the market. Thieves attack citizens inside of the district or VIP's without Police/Guards. If someone would be willing to help and make a suitable map for this it would be well appreciated!
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:Very unique Ideas for gameplay and no Copywrite infringement! With enough interest I think this could be a very worthwhile map to play!

Map Image:Seeing as I am not graphically talented It would be very hard for me to create an actual decent map! Thus looking for a someone for XML and Map for the general Idea!
(For those who maybe needed a visual i created this photo with Rectangle/ elliptical shapes) However I think for a first map attempt I would like to hand it off to someone who is more experienced. . . That is if anyone is interested).
Last edited by rishaed on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Re: LF mapmaker for great original idea!

Postby rishaed on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:47 pm

I would however appreciate opinions on the gameplay aspect of the map. IF lets say its too complicated or even a good idea to create a map from. Doing a very doodlish image on GIMP (however untalented i am, i can at least doodle) I found that at 640x800 it was slightly cluttered, but that was with unevenly spaced squares. (Having so many different aspects in gameplay also means having more territs specialized for the gameplay). I also thought about having passages only available when controlling Guild HQ and 1 Guild member making more attack options as well as providing more incentive to control different Guilds for example!
Edit: 640x400 sry i was going from a faulty memory >.<
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:08 pm

It is difficult I think for people to comment on gameplay, without a representation of what the gameplay would look like the board. I would suggest spending some time playing around with a mock-up, and then posting it with some guided questions. That can usually get you the best feedback.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby rishaed on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:23 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:It is difficult I think for people to comment on gameplay, without a representation of what the gameplay would look like the board. I would suggest spending some time playing around with a mock-up, and then posting it with some guided questions. That can usually get you the best feedback.

--Andy

Thanks Andy, I was trying really hard how to get feedback or if anyone was interested! :D I will try to put a basic layout of gameplay on the image ASAP! :oops: However i was looking for someone more experienced to say if s/he was interested in taking over map development! 8-[

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:43 pm

You'll still probably want to get a mock-up displayed, since most veterans folks will kind of want to see what you have in mind.

You should also keep in the mind that you may not find anyone to take over development, since map makers, like most artists I think, enjoy creating something of their own!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby rishaed on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:30 am

I created a reeeealllly Ugly way to show gameplay but i hope it helps.
Click image to enlarge.

Some "pointed questions":
Do you think that it focuses too heavily on the different Guilds?
Is XML possible for being able to see (assuming FoW) but not attack. (I may have an idea to go around that if not)
Is the complexity of Gameplay, with information gathering added from the different Merchants guilds, to much?
Do you think the Marketplaces (white areas) as open air (no FoW) is a good idea?
Some notes: In my map i realize the brown area needs to be removed and the walls, grey, need to be thinned. . . This map however is only a temp that can be used for reference if desired, but is not set in stone. . . was just made for visualization for more experienced mapmakers.
Thanks once again!
Rishaed

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:44 pm

rishaed, I am sure what you want can be done within the current xml. And no, the GP is not that complicated, just look at some of cairnswk maps to see how a complex map can be made.

I keep popping in here to see if anything is coming from this, but like Andy said, most map makers like to do there own thing. Find a programme (GIMP is easy for beginners) and learn how to use it if you really want to see this made.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby rishaed on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:53 am

koontz1973 wrote:rishaed, I am sure what you want can be done within the current xml. And no, the GP is not that complicated, just look at some of cairnswk maps to see how a complex map can be made.

I keep popping in here to see if anything is coming from this, but like Andy said, most map makers like to do there own thing. Find a programme (GIMP is easy for beginners) and learn how to use it if you really want to see this made.

I guess i'll have to go through nattydreads GIMP tutorials first lol. . . . might take a bit of time now that i have work again until my next free days :roll: Thanks again for the support!
=D> =D>

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:25 am

nattys GIMP tutorial is great for getting a first draft done but it will not get you a map made. Best advice is to get GIMP and go through the guide. When you are comfortable with that, just keep playing with it. There is so much that natty does not say and the stuff he does is basic simple things. If you want to do something that you do not know how, you can ask in the thread or even look it up on youtube (great way to learn new things).

A couple of other places that you can go for help are...
cartographersguild.com (need to sign up first but free)
cgtextures.com (royalty free textures that you can use)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby rishaed on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:15 am

koontz1973 wrote:A couple of other places that you can go for help are...
cartographersguild.com (need to sign up first but free)
cgtextures.com (royalty free textures that you can use)

I'll Look into them! thanks! and off to work . . . :)

Postby rishaed on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:32 pm

I have been going slowly through the GIMP guide . . . slow internet the most of the problem. I was wondering however what tips there are when creating borders on a nongeographical map. . . plus how to make textures better. I would like to use a decent texture for the walls to make them look at least half realistic.

Postby Gillipig on Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:22 am

There aren't many graphic savy people around here, but there are plenty of ideas. If you want to see something get done you should try to it yourself. Skills can always be learned. Making maps is not an inane ability that you either have or you don't. Check out this guide, it will get you started.
viewtopic.php?f=649&t=140723
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas