Conquer Club

Closing out games (no spoils)

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Closing out games (no spoils)

Postby Izual_Rebirth on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:11 am

I was looking for some advice on closing out games from a winning position.

Too many times I've been in control of a game and thrown it away at the very end because either the remaining player(s) decide to ally and go all out attack on me or one person will suicide me and leave the other person to win.

Does anyone have any good advice for closing out games?
Cook Izual_Rebirth

Re: Closing out games (no spoils)

Postby ProStrategos on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:50 am

Could you provide more info for example, to what degree are you in control? Equivalent to both of your opponents in troop count and regions? In a safe, well fortified position, and slightly ahead units? Different 'good' positions would probably have different useful strategies needed to help you win.

For example, if a one person suicide can knock you out of the game, maybe you AREN'T leading as much as you thought.

Map is another factor you have to consider, though for this I can't really help you, since I'm new to CC. However, if you're stuck with Classic I may be able to provide some input once I've got more details. ;D
Brigadier ProStrategos

Postby Izual_Rebirth on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:07 am

I tend to play classic with no spoils.

Most of the time I'll be in a well fortified position, either Aus or South America and have more troops than the other players. It's where to take the game from then really.
Cook Izual_Rebirth

Postby AyeTrain on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:12 am

I find that one of the most difficult positions to play from is being the leader, especially when there are only three players left. The other two are certain to ally against you, and you're certain to have the least experience at playing from the leader position (since in any game, you're more likely to lose than win).

What I do is take it slow: don't scare the other players into an alliance. Build up a non-threatening position of strength before going for the kill. I like to build up a reserve behind the front: even if they can see it in a sunny game, people tend to focus on their own game and don't consider your reserve a threat since it's behind the lines. But it allows you to completely commit your border forces at a time of your choosing, and then reinforce afterwards.

Another tactic I sometimes try is to deliberately allow the #2 player to become stronger than me (in troops per round), thereby causing #3 to attack them instead of me. That's a risky strategy because they can quickly take over if you miscalculate. And, of course, it's only viable if #3 is quite strong themselves.
Lieutenant AyeTrain

Postby Izual_Rebirth on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:00 pm

AyeTrain wrote:I like to build up a reserve behind the front: even if they can see it in a sunny game, people tend to focus on their own game and don't consider your reserve a threat since it's behind the lines. But it allows you to completely commit your border forces at a time of your choosing, and then reinforce afterwards.

I like this idea. I'll try it out for a bit and see how I get on. Looking at this strategy it seems like Africa is a great place because I can build a reinforcement army down in Nairobi meaning I can attack from any of Dakar, Cairo and Dubai and reinforce straight away.
Cook Izual_Rebirth

Postby ProStrategos on Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:09 am

AyeTrain listed a bunch of good strategies I would have used. I usually be careful and keep on building up slowly, and try not to anger the other players in order to prevent them for forming an alliance quickly. Use diplomacy and reasoning such as 'if we get into a war of attrition, the other guy will win - thats why he wants you to join him.'

I'd definitely go for the win when you've got almost the same amount as your opponents combined. After you've defeated one enemy, just make sure to hold chokepoints at the end of the turn to minimize damage from your final opponent.
Brigadier ProStrategos

Postby Kaskavel on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:22 am

ProStrategos wrote:
For example, if a one person suicide can knock you out of the game, maybe you AREN'T leading as much as you thought.

exactly
Colonel Kaskavel

Return to Conquer Club Discussion