Conquer Club

Classic Cities Jakarta [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Vacation - valid until Feb 2013] Classic Cities Jakarta

Postby natty dread on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Things are looking better since I last visited, couple of things

- The title could use some tweaking, since it doesn't really look like a part of the painting, might as well raise it on the same level as the main map
- The legend on the right side - maybe add a very slight drop shadow
- Large map: The bonus names on the minimap are blurry
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re: [Vacation - valid until Feb 2013] Classic Cities Jakarta

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:43 am

natty dread wrote:Things are looking better since I last visited, couple of things

- The title could use some tweaking, since it doesn't really look like a part of the painting, might as well raise it on the same level as the main map
- The legend on the right side - maybe add a very slight drop shadow
- Large map: The bonus names on the minimap are blurry

Done, done and done.
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:50 am

Thanks for the move back whoever. xml is still good to go and is the same as in the thread.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Nola_Lifer on Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:22 am

Look, I am not trying to be an ass but this map doesn't cut it. I can't put my finger on it but it just has the amateurish feel to it. And I am not trying to criticize you koontz. I just feel that this map could be better. :)
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:31 am

Nola_Lifer wrote:Look, I am not trying to be an ass but this map doesn't cut it. I can't put my finger on it but it just has the amateurish feel to it. And I am not trying to criticize you koontz. I just feel that this map could be better. :)

Nola, your not being an ass and do not think me as one when I say, without anything specific, there is not a thing I can or will do. This one has gone through the ringer more than once and as of now, I am more than happy for it to go on unless anything specific can be spotted.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:26 am

Nola_Lifer wrote:Look, I am not trying to be an ass but this map doesn't cut it. I can't put my finger on it but it just has the amateurish feel to it. And I am not trying to criticize you koontz. I just feel that this map could be better. :)

It might be the rounded edge that you see around the gameboard and the legend, as typically maps that have had a background were often more "locked into the same plane" as the background. Could this be what you can't put your finger on?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Nola_Lifer on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:41 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:

It might be the rounded edge that you see around the gameboard and the legend, as typically maps that have had a background were often more "locked into the same plane" as the background. Could this be what you can't put your finger on?

--Andy

This could be it. The blue separating the regions is a bit confusing when it comes to rivers.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:12 am

Nola, now that I can understand. Let me explain.

If you go back to the very early drafts (in the first post) I intended to do this map like so many others and like a few are done now even. Very simple graphics (again, like New Jersey) and a very simple classic game play. After about 3/4 weeks, I lost all interest in it and had it binned. I binned the map because of certain problems I was facing over the map. Things like impassables, breakup of territories and the rivers. When I brought the map back, it was because I had found a painting from Indonesia of a Buddhist temple. This is what got me thinking about the background and how to incorporate it. Why not paint the map straight onto the background and have it as a one level painting. This is why I resisted natty for so long as what he wanted was to bring the playing board away from the painting. As for the rivers, one thing Jakarta has is a lot of them. Main natural rivers, canals, open sewers, man mad rivers etc. If you can think of any open water, Jakarta has it. And this is what got me over the territory breakup, impassables and all of the other problems I faced. This is why some are nearly straight and others are jagged. The reason they are different from the main rivers it that there needs to be a very large difference between the ones you can and cannot cross but both still have an appearance of river/water.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby x-raider on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:16 pm

Thanks Koontz for explaining that.
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby Nola_Lifer on Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:57 am

x-raider wrote:Thanks Koontz for explaining that.

Yes, I see now. Is there a way to show the differences between canals and rivers and other bodies of water?
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:42 am

Nola_Lifer wrote:

Yes, I see now. Is there a way to show the differences between canals and rivers and other bodies of water?

I cannot think of one that would not cause massive confusion to players. It would mean a redraw of each one or a different colour (variation of blue) and then another explanation in the legend (what there is of it). Hopefully, the huge difference between the impassable rivers and the territ line waterways will eliminate that completely.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:18 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
Nola_Lifer wrote:

I cannot think of one that would not cause massive confusion to players. It would mean a redraw of each one or a different colour (variation of blue) and then another explanation in the legend (what there is of it). Hopefully, the huge difference between the impassable rivers and the territ line waterways will eliminate that completely.

Yes, I think that blue will have to change. It doesn't look right on a map with such...somber colours.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Really ManB, the green and gold are a sombre colours on the playing surface. The bridges are also pretty vibrant now also.

As I explained, the blue for the river needs to have this sharp difference so players cannot be confused between the two types of water. That is why I have only reduced the contrast for them by 30% on this version.
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

I see no reason to tone down the rivers more as the benefits may be slight, but the cons may be greater in the longer run.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [13/9] pg 1/21

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:50 am

Just one thing: Baru, on the small.
Move the troops beneath the name, there's lot of space and the numbers will stay within the territory borders. ;)

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:23 am

Thanks boss for that. Just made my day. :D
Moved troops.
Jakartanew.xml
(13.79 KiB) Downloaded 820 times
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:23 pm

tnb80, when this does get put into play, can the full title of Classic City: Jakarta be used? I think cairns also wants to use it as well.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:34 am

koontz1973 wrote:tnb80, when this does get put into play, can the full title of Classic City: Jakarta be used? I think cairns also wants to use it as well.

It should be able to. It isn't that long. But maybe call it "Classic Cities: Jakarta"?
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:14 am

isaiah40 wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:tnb80, when this does get put into play, can the full title of Classic City: Jakarta be used? I think cairns also wants to use it as well.

It should be able to. It isn't that long. But maybe call it "Classic Cities: Jakarta"?

We will discuss about this when the right moment comes. There's a thing that could be related to the same topic that I want to discuss with the whole community this week. Stay tuned! ;)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks guys, looking forward to all chats with you boss. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 am

Beta - Quenching

---The Final Forge period has concluded for the Classic Cities: Jakarta Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Beta Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready for BETA Play. After an extended period of time in BETA and once all quirks and issues have been resolved, the map will be put into Full Play (barring any Lack vetoes).

Conquer Club, enjoy!

While the map is in BETA Play, there are a couple of administrative tasks that are required of the mapmaker(s) in addition to the initial gameplay testing:
    1. Please ensure that the first post of the thread contains all the necessary information to help future visitors to the development thread; it's particularly important to ensure the most recent images are there, along with any helpful guides (such as gameplay quirks/nuances or the location/size of any starting neutrals etc.)
    2. It is the responsibility of the mapmaker(s) to ensure that they respond to further feedback in a timely and constructive manner.
    3. Write a "creative" map description and send it to the Foundry Foreman via PM. You're encouraged to post it into the first post of the thread as well; the description will be used to populate the maps database.

thenobodies80

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:20 am

Goes live?

Now. :D

Thanks boss.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:25 am

The map is live! For now we decided to keep the long name like you asked.
When we have a clear idea of the possibility to add a dedicated tag, we will possibly change it.

Now, let's play ;)

Nobodies

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:32 am

btw can you please write a description to add to the map database and send it to me via PM?

Thanks
Nobodies

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:43 am

Done. Thanks.

Going to set up a few games in the normal games thread (If I can find it). Anyone can join.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Seamus76 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:56 am

Thanks for the invite koontz, and congrats on another great addition!!

I'm sorry I haven't posted for this map before, but just looking at it I can't read the legend text very well at all. I can pretty much figure out the territory names, but maybe it's my monitor or something.

Looking forward to playing.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas