Conquer Club

GM Script: chatglove - a floating game chat - version 1.6.16

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: GM Script: chatglove - a floating game chat - version 1.

Postby agentcom on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:13 pm

dwilhelmi wrote:\

One piece of information that would help me to track this down, for anybody who has experienced this issue: does the number of new chats jump up suddenly, or simply not decrement or go up just by 1. For example, lets say you start off with 5 unread chats, and they are all valid unread chats. As you click through them, do you see unread chats go down to 4, then 3, then 2, then at some point BOOM it is back up to 5? Or is it more like 5, then 4, then back up to 5, and it never gets lower than 4 or 5 while you are reading your chats? I hope that makes sense...

More like the latter 2. It will go down by 1, but it quickly starts popping back up. An example might be:

10, (click), 9, (click), 8, 9, (click), 8, (click), 7, (click), 6, (click), 7, 8, (click), 7, (click), 6, (click), 5, (click), 4, 5, (click), 4, (click), 3, (click), 2, 3, 4, 5, (click), 4, (click), 3, (click), 2, (click), 1, (click), none

(click) is where I click the "Game Chat" button to move on to the next chat. After a click it always (or at least nearly always) goes down by 1. But it will seem to get repopulated while I am reading the chat. The sequence above would be a particularly bad episode with 18 clicks to get through the 10 chats plus maybe a couple legit new chats that pop up. Another note is that the number may not ALWAYS go up by one. Obviously, sometimes when it refreshes itself it picks up on more than 1 "new" chat (legit or not).

Final thought ... is there any way that legit new chat somehow reanimates the old chat? I'll have to check whether this has ever occurred where it exclusively cycles through old chat. One of these days when I have 20 or so game chats to read, I'll post a more detailed summary with time stamps.
Brigadier agentcom

Postby Gillipig on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:01 am

With the risk of being a whining bitch. What's the use? I've used the chat quite a lot and I've never felt the need of this script.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Denise on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:19 pm

dwilhelmi wrote:Yes, I am retiring for an indeterminate amount of time. If anybody is interested in taking over support for chatglove, feel free to shoot me a PM.

You could ask Foxglove if she wants it back. She's actively playing now, I believe.
Colonel Denise

Postby agentcom on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:16 am

Denise wrote:
dwilhelmi wrote:Yes, I am retiring for an indeterminate amount of time. If anybody is interested in taking over support for chatglove, feel free to shoot me a PM.

You could ask Foxglove if she wants it back. She's actively playing now, I believe.

She's in at least 1 game against me, so I can verify this.
Brigadier agentcom

Postby Foxglove on Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:27 pm

Denise wrote:

Sorry, I no longer have the time (or desire) to freely contribute to script maintenance.

(I will cry on the inside if chatglove stops working and we're not able to use it anymore!)
Brigadier Foxglove

Postby agentcom on Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:32 pm

Detach chat. Reattach. Can't post public messages. No matter whether the box is ticked or not, it only goes to teams. Detaching it again and I can post public while it is detached, but not after I reattach it. NBD just FYI.
Brigadier agentcom

Postby ender516 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:43 pm

agentcom wrote:Detach chat. Reattach. Can't post public messages. No matter whether the box is ticked or not, it only goes to teams. Detaching it again and I can post public while it is detached, but not after I reattach it. NBD just FYI.

I am not able to replicate this problem. See Game 11502346. The message at CC Time: 2012-08-17 23:35:28 was done while chat was detached, while the one at CC Time: 2012-08-17 23:36:09 was done after restoring it. I did have to clear the checkbox after restoring, and as always, the box is checked again after posting (team-only is the default in a team game like that one). I am using FF 14.0.1 and Greasemonkey 0.9.22.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby agentcom on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:23 pm

Game 11406840

Copy of Game chat

2012-08-18 13:20:53 - agentcom: Trying to recreate a problem I'm having with chat. Ignore below this line - Attached, public
2012-08-18 13:21:00 - agentcom [team]: Attached, Team
2012-08-18 13:21:09 - agentcom [team]: Detached, team
2012-08-18 13:21:14 - agentcom: Detached, public
2012-08-18 13:21:23 - agentcom [team]: Attached, public
2012-08-18 13:21:30 - agentcom [team]: Attached, team
2012-08-18 13:21:35 - agentcom [team]: attached public
2012-08-18 13:21:50 - agentcom: Detached public
2012-08-18 13:21:57 - agentcom [team]: Detached team
2012-08-18 13:22:08 - agentcom [team]: Attached, team
2012-08-18 13:22:14 - agentcom [team]: Attached, public
Brigadier agentcom

Postby ender516 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 am

I wonder if it is complicated by the fog feature.

Postby agentcom on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Could be related to my previous problem, but I just hit "back" and my game chat jumped up from about 8 (most of which, I'm sure were repeats anyway) all the way up to 48! So it basically reset my entire count without me doing anything. I don't know if it was going back that did this or what, but I thought I'd let you know.

Edit: by the way, it took me 51 clicks to scroll through 48 games. That's 3 games that got reanimated during my click-through. Also, only 1 of all those games appeared to have new chat. This isn't a big deal considering that I saw it reset, but prior to the reset the count was at 8 or 9, so among those 8 or 9 that popped up in the last 2 hours or so, 7 or 8 were repeats.
Brigadier agentcom

Postby tkr4lf on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:02 pm

dwilhelmi wrote:Unfortunately, the problem with having multiple tabs open would require practically a rewrite of how the chatsniffer works, and I don't have the time at the moment to do that. For now, we just have to say that if you have multiple tabs open, it is going to mess up your new chat count.

However, the other issue still on the table is when the chat count is unreliable, and multiple tabs are not open.

One piece of information that would help me to track this down, for anybody who has experienced this issue: does the number of new chats jump up suddenly, or simply not decrement or go up just by 1. For example, lets say you start off with 5 unread chats, and they are all valid unread chats. As you click through them, do you see unread chats go down to 4, then 3, then 2, then at some point BOOM it is back up to 5? Or is it more like 5, then 4, then back up to 5, and it never gets lower than 4 or 5 while you are reading your chats? I hope that makes sense...

Basically, I am trying to track down if the data gets corrupted somehow, resulting in a large number of false positives all at once, or if a game simply fails to mark itself as read when you are on that page, causing the overall count to not decrease when you move on. Knowing this would help me track the problem down.

I've had this issue from time to time. Usually for me, it is the first one.

Say I login, I have 5 unread chats. I check them all, the blue number goes away. Then I'll go do something else, read the forum or whatever, and suddenly it will pop back up with 5 new chats. I'll go through them and they are the same ones I checked when I first logged in. Sometimes it only does this with one game, sometimes it's up to 11 games. Other times it doesn't do this at all. It's pretty strange.

It's not a big deal either way, just a minor annoyance. Hope this helped.
Major tkr4lf

Postby agentcom on Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:39 pm

Just thought of a possible solution to the problem of chats reappearing when a person has only 1 window open and is browsing in a linear manner. I noticed that the "Game Chat" button is one of the last things to appear on the page after it loads. IF the problem could possibly be caused by CG not loading all the information before someone navigates away, perhaps it would be best to make the very last line of the code be to show that button. Then it would be impossible to click on the Game Chat button until CG had run through all its calculations.

Any chance that would help?
Brigadier agentcom

Postby darth emperor on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Hey, thanks for maintaing the script... I didn't know pressing game chat it would take you, to the game :lol:

I'm wondering, the problem of the the (read) unread chat, could be related to the cache?
Because, once I had like 5 (no) new game chats, and everytime I pressed all chat read, at the
next click it would come again to 5 new game chats. Then I pressed all chat read, cleared my cache
and the problem was solved, until the next day.
Last edited by darth emperor on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby dwilhelmi on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:51 pm

darth emperor wrote:Hey, thanks for maintaing the script... I didn't know pressing game chat it would take you, to the game :lol:

I'm wondering, the problem of the the (read) unread chat, could be related to the cache?
Because, once I had like 5 (no) new game chats, and everytime I pressed all chat read, at the
next click it would come again to 5 new game chats. Then I pressed all chat read, cleared my cache
and the problem was solved, until the next day.

I wouldn't think so, but anything is possible.
Brigadier dwilhelmi

Postby darth emperor on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:16 am

Maybe its only to me, but I realized, that the random chats its just (99%) appearing in games of 6 or more players. And two of my biggest games
Game 9704340
Game 8719342
ALWAYS (or 93% of the times) appears. But curiosly, is not in all my games of 6 or more players, just in some.

EDIT: Ok I realized, what's the difference between the games of 6 or more players that ussually appears against the ones that never appears. And that is.... that in the latters one practically there hasn't been any chat line (not more than 10) while the formers has a lot of lines

EDIT2: That makes me realize that my games under 6, don't have many lines (except few) but the ones who has, it appears, not many times but they do... (1%)
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby ender516 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:02 pm

I wonder if this is at all related to the (relatively recent) feature of showing only the latest few lines of chat?

Postby agentcom on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:59 am

darth emperor wrote:Maybe its only to me, but I realized, that the random chats its just (99%) appearing in games of 6 or more players. And two of my biggest games
Game 9704340
Game 8719342
ALWAYS (or 93% of the times) appears. But curiosly, is not in all my games of 6 or more players, just in some.

EDIT: Ok I realized, what's the difference between the games of 6 or more players that ussually appears against the ones that never appears. And that is.... that in the latters one practically there hasn't been any chat line (not more than 10) while the formers has a lot of lines

EDIT2: That makes me realize that my games under 6, don't have many lines (except few) but the ones who has, it appears, not many times but they do... (1%)

I agree that it seems to happen much more often with games with lots of chat. For example, my Battle Royales games and games that go into 30+ rounds seem to reappear almost every time.
Brigadier agentcom

Postby agentcom on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Once again ....

I tried to get a count again. It said I had 15. About 10 or 11 of those were actual new chat. About 4 were repeats, where I was the last person to say anything. And about 3 or 4 came back to life while I was looking at those 15. Just now I'm seeing that there are two more, let's have a look ....

Game 11616389 Came back to life
11617226 Came back to life
And now all of a sudden there are 3 more
[Game]11374529 [/Game]
[Game]11517685 [/Game]
[Game]11589305 [/Game]
All back from the dead

This is really frustrating. Happens on a daily basis.
Brigadier agentcom

Postby chapcrap on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:42 pm

I don't have all of the issues that agentcom keeps reporting. I mean, occassionally I had it happen a couple of times, but it rarely happens.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby agentcom on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:30 pm

I think I've ruled out my main suspect. I couldn't get over the thought that my computer was just moving so slowly that I was moving off the page before CG had time to update. But recently, I've been paying attention to how many chats pop up right when I sign in to CC. I'll have zeroed them out the day before (or whenever the last log-in was) and I'm still getting a bunch popping up right when I log in. I doubt this really helps narrow the issue down.

Now my main suspect is really long games or games with lots of chat. But I'm afraid that most of my games fall into that description, so I'm not even sure that that's it.
Brigadier agentcom

Postby chapcrap on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:30 pm

agentcom wrote:I think I've ruled out my main suspect. I couldn't get over the thought that my computer was just moving so slowly that I was moving off the page before CG had time to update. But recently, I've been paying attention to how many chats pop up right when I sign in to CC. I'll have zeroed them out the day before (or whenever the last log-in was) and I'm still getting a bunch popping up right when I log in. I doubt this really helps narrow the issue down.

Now my main suspect is really long games or games with lots of chat. But I'm afraid that most of my games fall into that description, so I'm not even sure that that's it.

I haven't had an issue that I know of in quite a while.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby FreeFalling123 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:08 pm

I'm sure there has been a solution to this problem but I keep getting my chatglove stuck on the top where I can't get it down and then I can't use it.. I don't remember how I've gotten it down but this time it's not working... I can reset it and put it back to normal but not use the detachable chat box.

edit: re-downloaded it now I have a reset chat option.. not sure how my first download didn't get that feature.
Major FreeFalling123

Postby ViperOverLord on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:55 am

I think it would be very helpful if chat glove didn't alert BOB snaps in the Game Chat. I just wanna see chat. Someone taking a snap, I can just see when my turn comes up. So it's a time waste to go through games that are just snaps.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby ender516 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:35 pm

I think chatglove works based on the number of posts in the game chat, without examining the details. I don't see a practical way to weed out snaps.

Postby ViperOverLord on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:34 am

ender516 wrote:I think chatglove works based on the number of posts in the game chat, without examining the details. I don't see a practical way to weed out snaps.

I'm not a programmer. But I figured there's possibly away to omit anything that starts with http and then that would get rid of snaps and perhaps the odd random link.
Major ViperOverLord

PreviousNext

Return to Tool Archives