Conquer Club

Showing ID to Vote

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Should ya have to show ID when you vote?

Total votes : 0

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:02 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:I still don't get this Voter ID issue.

Can someone please explain this to me???

Is PS clamoring for something which he doesn't understand?

I can speak of PA, because its a big issue here.

In the past, to vote, you had to show some kind of something... a driver license, free (local) voter ID card, even utility bills would generally suffice -- the list of people eligible to vote was printed out already, so this was just something that showed you were who you said you were. In practice, here, I was only asked for any kind of ID the very first time, when I had first moved here. After that, the election volunteers all knew me from church, etc. IN addition, it is always a requirement that you sign your name.. in every state where I have voted, that is a requirement, be it an electronic version or a paper copy. That is the primary verification, then... to see that the signature matches.

Right now, in order to vote, you have to have a government issued, current ID with a picture and an expiration date. For most people, a driver's license suffices. A segment of other people have non-driving commonwealth IDs, but a lot of people in big cities, particularly poorer people and elderly people, along with a good chunk of elderly people in "rural" areas (some poor people there, though even many of those tend to have IDs, since driving is so necessary).

The claim is that this is needed because there is a big problem or potential problem with voter fraud, but when the data is actually studied, it turns out that the percentage of fraud is very low. Proponents, like jay, etc., claim that those statistics are just wrong because without IDs, it is almost impossible (they say) to track any fraud. They generally (jay seems to be an exception) agree that some people will be hurt, but consider that a reasonable cost to have the system "secured".

Jay's claim of thousands of illegal aliens wanting to vote is, well, plain ridiculous and utterly groundless. I am sure you can find an isolated case, but its an abberation, not a real issue.
For jay's idea to work, for illegal aliens to vote, they would have to both have knowledge of someone eligible to vote, but who was not, AND be able to duplicate their signature. Further, Its just not even logical that a sane person would put their being here at risk for the very tenuous benefit of a vote.

The problems pointed out by opponents are multiple:

First, because those without IDs tend to be Democrats, AND because the places where this is being pushed are particularly those where the prior votes have been relatively close, it looks a lot like discrimination.. and attempt to make voting harder, penalizing the Democratic party far more than Republicans.

Second, while the IDs themselves are generally free (they are in PA), getting the documents you need to attain the ID, as well as paying for transportation to get to the locations where you can sign up does cost money. In some areas, we are not talking about a few dollars for a bus pass, either. In my area, just as an example, there is a driver office open one day a week.. Weds. If you work or just cannot make that day, then you have to travel 30 miles. One way bus fare is between $5 and $10, depending on your exact location.

Third point is that even if cost is not prohibitive, the sheer difficult can be a major impedement. A proposal was put forward to allow people to get IDs at their local state representative's offices, closer for most people and open far more (at least in rural areas) than the driver offices. However, these offices do not have the security needed. (I find that last a bit confusing, since when I have to get child abuse and criminal clearances, that is exactly where I go.. and the information I have to give for those is more complete than that required for a voter ID, BUT that was the official ruling by the state.. not my opinion).

Fourth, as you pointed out, there is additional cost in this. That has gotten the least press here in PA, so it might not be such a big impact.

There are some other, lessor issues, but those are the biggies.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:34 am

Where's the national level data on voter fraud and/or cheating?

I recall there was that WSJ article which mentioned roughly 2000 individual votes... but in 2008, Louisiana had 1500 illegal votes from some organizations allegedly linked to ACORN. I'm pretty sure that the 1500 is not included in that WSJ article; otherwise, it would have been ground-breaking news that in 2008 LA was the only State to have experienced voter fraud... (maybe the dates don't even match-up).

But what's the data on this? Because I haven't found anything accurate and over time..
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby tzor on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:25 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:Where's the national level data on voter fraud and/or cheating?

If someone cheats and gets away with it, how is that going to show up on a database? It's sort of like asking "how many people drive over the legal speed limit?" The fact that no one is enforcing the verification of speed is a good indication that no one is accumulating exceptionally accurate statistics. Basically anything you do see is the tip of the iceberg, gross voter fraud or cases where the election was close enough that you had to go through every ballot two or three times.
Cadet tzor

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:59 am

tzor wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Where's the national level data on voter fraud and/or cheating?

If someone cheats and gets away with it, how is that going to show up on a database? It's sort of like asking "how many people drive over the legal speed limit?" The fact that no one is enforcing the verification of speed is a good indication that no one is accumulating exceptionally accurate statistics. Basically anything you do see is the tip of the iceberg, gross voter fraud or cases where the election was close enough that you had to go through every ballot two or three times.

An investigation is held, culprits are found.

But yes, not all crimes are discovered.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:30 am

From 5 minutes on Bing-Dot-Com, it appears positive ID at time of voting is an international elections standard. Is it possible that both (a) Republicans are attempting to take advantage of the system for their own ends, and, (b) ID requirements are a good idea? Or are the two ideas mutually exclusive?

UK
no ID required
http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/how_do_i_v ... erson.aspx

Australia
no ID required
http://www.aec.gov.au/FAQs/Voting_Australia.htm

New Zealand
government-issued non-photo ID required
http://www.elections.org.nz/voting/voti ... n-day.html

Ireland
http://www.vote.ie/why-vote/how-do-i-vote.html

Belgium
http://brussels.angloinfo.com/informati ... ng/voting/

Canada
government-issued Photo ID required, or 2 forms of non-photo ID, or, 1 personal witness who has photo ID
http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?se ... dex&lang=e

France
government-issued photo ID required
http://www.interieur.gouv.fr/sections/a ... electorale

Israel
http://www.knesset.gov.il/elections17/e ... ec_eng.htm

India
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes ... tituencies

Mexico
http://listanominal.ife.org.mx/consulta ... nte_ln.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/stor ... 52779410/1

South Africa
http://www.sabceducation.co.za/Subsites ... e_q&a.html

Kenya
http://blog.usaid.gov/2010/05/making-every-vote-count/
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:30 am

Carter Center
http://www.cartercenter.org/news/editor ... er_id.html
In 2005, we led a bipartisan Commission on Federal Election Reform and concluded that both parties' concerns were legitimate — a free and fair election requires both ballot security and full access to voting. We offered a proposal to bridge the partisan divide by suggesting a uniform voter photo ID, based on the federal Real ID Act of 2005, to be phased in over five years. To help with the transition, states would provide free voter photo ID cards for eligible citizens; mobile units would be sent out to provide the IDs and register voters. (Of the 21 members of the commission, only three dissented on the requirement for an ID.)
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:34 pm

who votes anyway?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby stahrgazer on Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:40 pm

I still have to ask: How would having a voter i.d. help for absentee or mail-in ballots which are being promoted heavily in many states?
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Symmetry on Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:41 pm

stahrgazer wrote:I still have to ask: How would having a voter i.d. help for absentee or mail-in ballots which are being promoted heavily in many states?

Help who?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Lootifer on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:47 pm

How the f*ck is this even a topic up for debate?!

Surely the obvious and best solution is government funded identification system here? Hell even BBS and the other Anarcholibs will agree with me on this - that is surely organising the actual details of voting and processing is something that the governement should prob be spending money on..?

A system which involes cost free identification is easy to set up. Why would you not use something like that? (Blue countries in Saxis post above).

You can do it with pre-existing forms of ID as well but that does impose a cost on people (argh im agreeing with Sym); so the cost of the NZ or similar systems (blue above) is valid imo.
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Oh wait, you agree with me?

I DISAGREE! WITH EVERYTHING!
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby stahrgazer on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:26 pm

Symmetry wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:I still have to ask: How would having a voter i.d. help for absentee or mail-in ballots which are being promoted heavily in many states?

Help who?

Try this again, Sym.

How would someone "show id" in a mail ballot? If that's not feasible, then requiring id to vote should eliminate voting by mail; otherwise not everyone who votes is having to show i.d. in order to vote. How would that be fair, and moreover, how would that help eliminate fraud in voting?

If the only use of the i.d. is to try to ensure someone doesn't get to vote twice, then, "state your name," should work.

If the use of the i.d. is to try to ensure that the person who says he or she is voting is supposedly really the person, then even "mail in a copy of my voter i.d with my ballot," won't help ensure that the person who's mailing is really that person.

So, for example, someone stationed in Iraq who wants to vote with an absentee ballot, shouldn't be able to do so if "you need an i.d. in order to vote," is in place because there's no way to compare to see that the person who's supposed to be voting really is the one who mailed in the form.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby tzor on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:09 pm

It doesn't. But on the other hand, those votes have a "paper trail." :D

No, seriously, the standard method for voting is that you verify your identity (somehow), you get a ballot, you fill out the ballot and you submit your form. Once you are given a ballot, your vote is divorced from your identity. That is not so with the mail in ballots. If you want to challange a specific voter you can and you can specifically eliminate their vote after the fact. You can't do that with election day ballots since the ballots are not attached to the specific voter in any way.

Two years ago the NY1 district was so close that the mail-in ballots had to decide the election. Questioning the ballots was done on both sides.

Questions of Voter Fraud in NY1 Race
Cadet tzor

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:11 pm

It is/was common practice with provisional ballots in the Southwest as well. They'd give Mexican Americans provisional ballots instead of regular ballots and then let them vote. After the election, they'd throw all the provisional ballots away. If you were one of the Mexican Americans who voted with one, you'd have no idea that your vote didn't count.
In 2004 around one million provisional ballots were thrown away, helping throw the election to Bush. In Ohio they threw out 14,000 of them in 2008. And of course, these ballots only go to the minorities.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:18 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:[*]25% of African Americans don't have photo IDs.

1 - The Brennan Center's figures - which you're probably citing - have been strongly contradicted by more recent data.

2 - Even if the Brennan Center study was accepted, in 2008 35% of African Americans didn't vote. It's probably reasonable to assume that includes almost - if not all - of the population who live without ID. In other words, those who live without ID are in an extreme state of non-integration with society at large - likely due to some combination of endemic poverty, linguistic isolation and geographic disparity (e.g. the Gullah) - and it's an idyllic, white-bread fantasy to think abstract concepts like politics are even in their frame of awareness.

I'm not convinced that this is a fair assessment. Many, if not most elderly blacks in the South were born at home and never received a Birth Certificate. So they can't just go get an ID. And I think we can all agree that the elderly vote more than the young do, so this would disproportionately effect the older black voting demographic.

Interesting side note about Birth Certificates and voter ID - The infamous Mississippi voter ID law says that you have to have a picture ID to vote. But you can't get the picture ID without a birth certificate. If you'd like to get a birth certificate, you have to have a photo ID. It's a horrifying circle-jerk of "black people can't vote in Mississippi."
Even Ronald Reagan could not vote in Mississippi.

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:20 pm

My father and I were debating the merits of voter identification. I am against voter identification, for the reasons stated previously. He is in favor of voter identification and is not perturbed by the potential disenfranchisement of Americans; in fact, he would say it's a good thing (he also made a reverse racism claim: Democrats arguing that blacks would be disenfranchised because they can't get identification is racist... or something like that).

In any event, I commented how in New Jersey I have to sign my name in a book before I vote. He told me that my name is still in the book in my hometown in Pennsylvania. So, I could potentially vote in New Jersey in the morning and then drive to Pennsylvania and vote there in the evening. I might try this, but I'm e-scared of going to jail.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:33 pm

YOU'LL BE KICKED OUT OF THE BAR

I'VE BEEN TO JAIL, YOU DON'T WANT TO GO!

With all the paranoia going around about voter fraud, I wouldn't dare try it. You'd be caught and then they'd use your case as the flagship reason for why we need voter ID and then-uh, everyone would know your name and also hate you.
EXACTLY like Osama.

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:11 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:In 2004 around one million provisional ballots were thrown away, helping throw the election to Bush.

I've never heard any mainstream, non-conspiracy theory, that suggested George Bush absconded with the 2004 election. That's been an argument with 2000, but I'm curious what blog or YouTube video on which you saw this.

Juan_Bottom wrote:most elderly blacks in the South were born at home and never received a Birth Certificate

I'm starting to think you don't know many black Americans. However, I do think you believe you know black Americans from seeing them in such celebrated films as The Color Purple, Roots and Tyler Perry's I Can Do Bad All By Myself.

Juan_Bottom wrote:The infamous Mississippi voter ID law says that you have to have a picture ID to vote. But you can't get the picture ID without a birth certificate. If you'd like to get a birth certificate, you have to have a photo ID.

First, one can obtain a U.S. passport and many other forms of ID with a Certificate of Citizenship in lieu of birth certificate (used frequently for those who have been adopted) from the USCIS, here is the form: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-600.pdf. The Mississippi law accepts driver's license, passports, military ID cards, government employee ID cards, and so forth. Second, the Mississippi law allows for free photo ID to any person who cannot afford a photo ID (see: http://www.sos.ms.gov/Elections/Initiat ... 27text.pdf). Third, the Mississippi law won't even take effect until after the 2012 election.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:28 pm

This is what I was talking about. Mississippi admitted to the problem with the law.

Pamela Weaver, spokeswoman of the Mississippi Secretary of State’s office, today confirmed the catch-22 problem, which the Jackson Free Press learned about from a complaint posted on Facebook. One of the requirements to get the free voter ID cards is a birth certificate, but in order to receive a certified copy of your birth certificate in Mississippi, you must have a photo ID. Not having the photo ID is why most people need the voter ID in the first place.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/0 ... y-need-id/

saxitoxin wrote:I've never heard any mainstream, non-conspiracy theory, that suggested George Bush absconded with the 2004 election. That's been an argument with 2000, but I'm curious what blog or YouTube video on which you saw this.

It's not a conspiracy theory!

show

This is my original post with all the math and whatnot of where the votes disappeared. But you can boil it down to:

Juan_Bottom wrote:The Official count for spoiled votes for the election is 1,855,827 votes. But according to the US Census Bureau's election report, which came out 7 months after the election, 'the census tabulation of voters differs from the ballots tallied by the clerk of the HoR by 3.4 million.
That means that for the 2004 election, 3.4 million votes were cast, but thrown out.
This number does not include the people who legally had the right to vote, but were barred from doing so. These include the people who were purged from the voting registries when their names were put on felon lists... and of course none of them were notified before the election.
So who's 3.4 million+ votes were thrown out?
It breaks down approximately like this - 1,090,729 provisional ballots were thrown out. 1,389,231 votes spoiled. 526,420 absentee ballots disappeared.

And everyone needs to remember, these are all the government's own numbers. This is probably why they don't mention it for 7 months.

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:In 2004 around one million provisional ballots were thrown away, helping throw the election to Bush.

I've never heard any mainstream, non-conspiracy theory, that suggested George Bush absconded with the 2004 election. That's been an argument with 2000, but I'm curious what blog or YouTube video on which you saw this.

I was expecting a lot of cooky conspiracy YouTube videos in response to this question, but not one from a Ron Paul conspiracy theory site. You definitely are throwing some curve balls, JB. :P

Juan_Bottom wrote:This is my original post with all the math and whatnot of where the votes disappeared. But you can boil it down to:

Juan_Bottom wrote: Juan_Bottom wrote:The Official count for spoiled votes for the election is 1,855,827 votes. But according to the US Census Bureau's election report, which came out 7 months after the election, 'the census tabulation of voters differs from the ballots tallied by the clerk of the HoR by 3.4 million.
That means that for the 2004 election, 3.4 million votes were cast, but thrown out.
This number does not include the people who legally had the right to vote, but were barred from doing so. These include the people who were purged from the voting registries when their names were put on felon lists... and of course none of them were notified before the election.
So who's 3.4 million+ votes were thrown out?
It breaks down approximately like this - 1,090,729 provisional ballots were thrown out. 1,389,231 votes spoiled. 526,420 absentee ballots disappeared.

So a 2% invalidation rate, then?

Typically, JB, a conspiracy theorist like yourself will only consume information that reinforces the conspiracy theory. Data that causes the conspiracy theory to be explainable through normal or more mundane reasons is siloed, ignored or - in some cases - attributed to an even larger conspiracy.

French presidential election, 2012 - spoiled/rejected ballots = 5.82%
French presidential election, 2011 - spoiled/rejected ballots = 4.2%
Brazil presidential election, 2010 - spoiled/rejected ballots = 4.4%
Chilean presidential election, 2009 - spoiled/rejected ballots = 2.63%
Singapore presidential election, 2011 - spoiled/rejected ballots = 1.76%
Irish presidential election, 2011 - spoiled/rejected ballots - 1.00%
Polish presidential election, 2010 - spoiled ballots - 1.16%

Juan_Bottom wrote: This is what I was talking about. Mississippi admitted to the problem with the law

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/0 ... y-need-id/

You'd be advised to read the linked-to article this blog sources instead of blindly trusting their summary of it. The original article they sourced confirms my original post. Or maybe just stick to the Tyler Perry movies for now.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Ugh,
You're misrepresenting the facts yet again. Why do I keep responding to you? Bush won by 3 million votes. You're ignoring or are unaware of voter spoilage/toss-out and it's relation to race. You're ignoring the blocked votes who's exact numbers I showed. And also, where the most spoilage occurs - and I did all the work for you. 3.4 million tossed Democratic votes are nothing to scoff at, particularly when the tossed votes are coming from places where Bush won by 2% and 1% of the f*cking votes counted. Why the f*ck would I do all the work to find the exact number of missing votes and match it up to the % Bush won by and the discrepancy in the exit polls? You looked right at the math and pretended like it wasn't there. EVEN your darling Ralph Nader asked for recounts. I cannot believe that you would compare the US to Singapore, Ireland, Brazil, Poland, and France.
FURTHERMORE what is the rate of pitched provisional ballots in France?
By the by, Ohio was later reversed and given to Kerry. Turns out the "conspiratorial" math I showed (from government sources) was right-on. Kerry won in all three of these states, and he won the popular election. Republicans did the same thing that they did in 2000, and that they are trying to do in 2012. But they were smarter about it.

Swing States exit polls
Iowa - Kerry wins by 2%
New Mexico - Kerry wins by 2%
Ohio - Kerry wins by 4%

Swing States votes counted
Iowa - Bush wins by 1%
New Mexico - Bush wins by 1%
Ohio - Bush wins by 2%

Ballots Spoiled in swing states
Iowa - 18,847
New Mexico - 21,084
Ohio - 103,660

Provisional Ballots Uncounted
Iowa - 7,368
New Mexico - 6,593
Ohio - 33,998

Absentee Ballots Uncounted
Iowa - 10,596
New Mexico - 4,217
Ohio - 15,519

Blocked Votes
Iowa - unknown
New Mexico - 5,988
Ohio - 85,950

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:54 pm

Correction

Bush
50.74% of popular vote 286 electoral votes

Kerry
48.27% of popular vote 251 electoral votes

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:01 pm

saxitoxin wrote:You'd be advised to read the linked-to article this blog sources instead of blindly trusting their summary of it. The original article they sourced confirms my original post. Or maybe just stick to the Tyler Perry movies for now.

I don't see an 'original article' being sourced there. I do see the quote from Pamela Weaver that says that I was correct and that you are now wrong. Not that I've ever once seen you accept being wrong before. Usually you just thinly conceal personal attacks until the other person leaves. And I know this not only from personal observation, but from you explaining that it's what you do.

You'd probably noticed that I never said people couldn't get passports and all that other difficult and disenfranchising sh*t that you're defending or whatever the f*ck. It's irrelevant. I was just showing you what I was referencing. If you think it's ok to force elderly people to get passports so that they can vote just so you can win an argument with yourself somehow, that's a whole other discussion for your therapist. I don't even care. I ain't even mad.

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:20 am

Juan_Bottom wrote:Ugh,
You're misrepresenting the facts yet again. Why do I keep responding to you? Bush won by 3 million votes. You're ignoring or are unaware of voter spoilage/toss-out and it's relation to race. You're ignoring the blocked votes who's exact numbers I showed. And also, where the most spoilage occurs - and I did all the work for you. 3.4 million tossed Democratic votes are nothing to scoff at, particularly when the tossed votes are coming from places where Bush won by 2% and 1% of the f*cking votes counted. Why the f*ck would I do all the work to find the exact number of missing votes and match it up to the % Bush won by and the discrepancy in the exit polls? You looked right at the math and pretended like it wasn't there. EVEN your darling Ralph Nader asked for recounts. I cannot believe that you would compare the US to Singapore, Ireland, Brazil, Poland, and France.
FURTHERMORE what is the rate of pitched provisional ballots in France?
By the by, Ohio was later reversed and given to Kerry. Turns out the "conspiratorial" math I showed (from government sources) was right-on. Kerry won in all three of these states, and he won the popular election. Republicans did the same thing that they did in 2000, and that they are trying to do in 2012. But they were smarter about it.

Juan, (a) all elections have a margin of error that is highlighted in close contests and forgotten in blowouts. The U.S. rate of spoilage in 2004 was on-par, or below, peer nations that conduct national elections. (b) Nader asked for a recount in New Hampshire, which has held, and reported he was satisfied with the outcome. He specifically rejected calls for a recount in Florida. (c) Ohio was contested and the contest was rejected in a 1-74 vote by the Senate.

If I missed a point you brought up, forgive me. You kind of wandered into this meandering, wild-eyed rant and it was difficult to follow in places. I think there might have been something about Bigfoot or the Illuminati in there I skipped over, but I think I hit all the important elements of your speech.

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:37 am

Ultimately, a state can't function properly when people are convinced the public bodies have been infiltrated as part of a far-reaching plot by secret cabals.

People who believe in a conspiracy by radicals to secretly raise and implant a Marxist sleeper agent in the White House or those who are convinced that saboteurs have been placed in hundreds of county elections boards and that an arcane math formula proves it in the absence of any documentary evidence are an increasing problem.

Juan actually provides a good example of the dilemma faced by rational society here -

Juan_Bottom wrote:And everyone needs to remember, these are all the government's own numbers. This is probably why they don't mention it for 7 months.

- which Cass Sunstein's thesis "Conspiracy Theories" explains -

Ignoring the conspiracy theory allows its proponents to draw ominous inferences from the government’s silence. If the theory stands unrebutted, one possibility is that it is too ludicrous to need rebuttal, but another is that the government cannot offer relevant evidence to the contrary; the suppliers of the conspiracy theories will propose the second inference. On the other hand, to rebut the theory may be to legitimate it, moving the theory from the zone of claims too ludicrous to be discussed to the zone of claims that, whether or not true, are in some sense worth discussing.

http://wikispooks.com/w/images/3/37/Cas ... racies.pdf

Sunstein goes on to recommend methods of cognitive infiltration by which agents can help deflate the conspiracy theory:

We suggest a role for government agents in introducing such diversity. Government agents (and their allies) might enter chat rooms, online social networks, or even real-space groups and attempt to undermine percolating conspiracy theories by raising doubts about their factual premises, causal logic or implications for political action.

http://wikispooks.com/w/images/3/37/Cas ... racies.pdf
Corporal saxitoxin

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,