Conquer Club

bob is a racist

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

bob is a racist

Postby Doc_Brown on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:20 pm

"I'm gonna vote for Barrack Obama because I'm not a racist!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbULBAjstBA
Colonel Doc_Brown

Re: bob is a racist

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:22 pm

Last edited by Phatscotty on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Lootifer on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:27 pm

/facepalm

You neocons dont exactly make it easy for us to think highly of you guys when you put out crap like this...

exception: If the main point of the clip is satire then I retract my statement; if there is no political agenda then I have no issue with the clip. However Scottys reply of "Sad but true" says otherwise.
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:31 pm

Lootifer wrote:/facepalm

You neocons dont exactly make it easy for us to think highly of you guys when you put out crap like this...

exception: If the main point of the clip is satire then I retract my statement; if there is no political agenda then I have no issue with the clip. However Scottys reply of "Sad but true" says otherwise.

It is sad and true. But I thought it was more 1984'ish
Major Phatscotty

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Lootifer wrote: If the main point of the clip is satire then I retract my statement; if there is no political agenda then I have no issue with the clip.

Why would that be an either/or proposition? Why can's something be both satire and have a political agenda?
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Lootifer on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:35 pm

Phatscotty wrote:It is sad and true. But I thought it was more 1984'ish

So every supporter of Obama thinks that bob is a racist? It isnt in fact some small minority of idiots (prob equal in size to genuine racists on the romney side - that is two parts of f*ck all)...?
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Lootifer on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:35 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Lootifer wrote: If the main point of the clip is satire then I retract my statement; if there is no political agenda then I have no issue with the clip.

Why would that be an either/or proposition? Why can's something be both satire and have a political agenda?

Because the political agenda is what makes it retarded (from my PoV).

Im all for mocking the idiots who think Bob is a racist for questioning Obama. But the way the clip is arranged that is not the central point. The central point is building a public generalisation of Obama supporters.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Doc_Brown on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Lootifer wrote:/facepalm

/facepalm
And here the libs keep claiming conservatives don't get satire...

Of course it's satire, which doesn't prevent it from saying anything political. It's not unlike the Colbert Report in that respect. Yes it's way over the top, and no, Obama supporters don't think everyone voting against Obama is a racist, though to hear some of them talk sometimes, it's not surprising to understand why the point is in need of satire.

As a side point, I absolutely disclaim the neocon label and would object to that being applied to myself much more strongly than being called a liberal (though neither applies). Conservative or libertarian are fine. Crunchy conservative might be a bit closer, and Paulite wouldn't be too far from the truth either. FWIW, I'm planning to vote third party in this presidential election.
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby Lootifer on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:/facepalm

Of course it's satire, which doesn't prevent it from saying anything political. It's not unlike the Colbert Report in that respect. Yes it's way over the top, and no, Obama supporters don't think everyone voting against Obama is a racist, though to hear some of them talk sometimes, it's not surprising to understand why the point is in need of satire.

As a side point, I absolutely disclaim the neocon label and would object to that being applied to myself much more strongly than being called a liberal (though neither applies). Conservative or libertarian are fine. Crunchy conservative might be a bit closer, and Paulite wouldn't be too far from the truth either. FWIW, I'm planning to vote third party in this presidential election.

Firstly apologies for the label, i just get annoyed at this crap; secondly theres political satire and theres political satire.

Personally I think satire in the political spectrum is only funny when it dwells on the meaningless or superficial; as soon as you get involved with actual ideals it becomes unfunny (for me) - you just come across as though you have an axe to grind or are having a whinge which renders all humor moot (again, for me - maybe a cultural thing?).

That swings both ways - I find much of Juan Bottoms content unfunny as well even though I share many of his views.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Lootifer wrote:
Doc_Brown wrote:/facepalm

Firstly apologies for the label, i just get annoyed at this crap; secondly theres political satire and theres political satire.

Personally I think satire in the political spectrum is only funny when it dwells on the meaningless or superficial; as soon as you get involved with actual ideals it becomes unfunny (for me) - you just come across as though you have an axe to grind or are having a whinge which renders all humor moot (again, for me - maybe a cultural thing?).

That swings both ways - I find much of Juan Bottoms content unfunny as well even though I share many of his views.

I'm the exact opposite. I find the only humour worth anything is humour which tries to illustrate a serious point. Humour which doesn't I find totally unfunny. I have no use for lowest-common-denominator catastrophic moronism like Seinfeld.
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby patches70 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Dukasaur wrote:I'm the exact opposite. I find the only humour worth anything is humour which tries to illustrate a serious point. Humour which doesn't I find totally unfunny. I have no use for lowest-common-denominator catastrophic moronism like Seinfeld.

I agree with this.

Many times, humor is a good way to look at an issue, action or such with a different perception. Hell, some things are just too awkward or horrible to rationally be discussed without humor.
Private patches70

Postby Lootifer on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Dukasaur wrote:I'm the exact opposite. I find the only humour worth anything is humour which tries to illustrate a serious point. Humour which doesn't I find totally unfunny. I have no use for lowest-common-denominator catastrophic moronism like Seinfeld.

Hrmm, not sure if i used the right word/language. I agree, a point or meaning usually adds to the comedy (I think i confused myself/didnt think it thru in my earlier post). I too dont enjoy the classic american sitcoms.

I guess its the obvious nature of the clip that I dont like. The satire is so blunt, the joke so obvious that you can essentially ignore it, and refer to it as purely political. The ratio is all wrong. Its not a good joke with a subtle political stinger; its a piece of political media dressed up in a bit of satire.

It expresses no intelligence in its satire/sarcasm. No subtlty. To me the clip is exactly like Sienfeld: Why make the viewer think about the joke when you can batter them over the head with it?

Therefore I can only come to the conclusion that the joke is secondary (and PS reinforces this point with the sad but true comment). So why even bother with the joke in the first place, just comes across as incredibly lame.

I would honestly enjoy the clip far more and put more effort into understanding the political arguments if it dropped the whole satire thing completely and was actually communicated its point in a level and honest manner (rather than some some condescendly roundabout way of calling democrats stupid - even if the democrats are stupid).
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:42 pm

I take it you're not a populist, amirite, Lootie?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Lootifer on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:I take it you're not a populist, amirite, Lootie?

Im the yin-punk to your yan-punk.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:59 pm

Lootifer wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:I take it you're not a populist, amirite, Lootie?

Im the yin-punk to your yan-punk.

The only way to settle that problem is to settle it irrationally.

Put your dukes up!
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Lootifer on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:01 pm

I thought we were sposed to coexist together in harmony forever balancing everything out?

Stupid commie shit.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:09 pm

It's a zero-sum world, Lootifer. Don't you know anything about economics???
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Symmetry on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:01 am

Dukasaur wrote:

It can, but I do think people should be honest about their political agenda if they're promoting partisan propaganda from a campaign group.

I'm with Lootifer on this. Posting political ads as if they're everyman satire is always gonna be irritating.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:49 am

Symmetry wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

It can, but I do think people should be honest about their political agenda if they're promoting partisan propaganda from a campaign group.

I'm with Lootifer on this. Posting political ads as if they're everyman satire is always gonna be irritating.

I find it's more irritating to be labelled a racist for political views.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Symmetry on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:40 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Kind of a non-sequitur there, if you'll forgive me TGD. As the video is pretty much an argument that Racists vote for Obama from a Republican part campaign group, shouldn't it be made clear that there's a political agenda and this is a propaganda piece?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:58 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Kind of a non-sequitur there, if you'll forgive me TGD. As the video is pretty much an argument that Racists vote for Obama from a Republican part campaign group, shouldn't it be made clear that there's a political agenda and this is a propaganda piece?

I direct your attention to the 2008 Democratic primary; but I digress. Who would you like to make clear that there's a political agenda and that this video is a propaganda piece? The creater of the video? Doc_Brown? Me? The Republican Party? I think it's pretty clear the video holds a political message.

Postby Symmetry on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:00 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

I direct your attention to the 2008 Democratic primary; but I digress. Who would you like to make clear that there's a political agenda and that this video is a propaganda piece? The creater of the video? Doc_Brown? Me? The Republican Party? I think it's pretty clear the video holds a political message.

Who do you think made this video?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Dan Joseph whose handle (at least on Youtube) is BlackandRight.

Postby Symmetry on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:19 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Dan Joseph whose handle (at least on Youtube) is BlackandRight.

Nope. Try again.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:22 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:Dan Joseph whose handle (at least on Youtube) is BlackandRight.

Nope. Try again.

Whoops... you're right. Bob Parks produced the video.

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,