Conquer Club

Alternative punishment for Bigotry?

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Alternative punishment for Bigotry?

Postby D00MandD3A7H on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:03 am

BIGOTRY

WoW, 1 warning is enough... But really? Kids are called "these" words in schools everyday, without trouble. How can you honestly ban someone permanently after 3 times... That is too harsh. I know that standards must be set to prevent this behavior, because bigotry is no excuse and intolerable, but, does it really have to be ban-able after 3 shots???

As is currently...

1st-Warning
2nd-30 day vacation
3rd-Permaban... Really???

Maybe Instead...

1st-Warning
2nd-7 days + Stripped Premium (Freemiums are Stripped and must buy Premium)
3rd-30 days + Stripped Premium (Freemiums are Stripped and must buy Premium)
4th-90 days + Stripped Premium (Freemiums are Stripped and must buy Premium)
5th-Permaban

Give these guys some time to heal themselves and think about their mistakes. Plus, this site could earn some extra money from an existing premium account that is stripped. The stripping process, might make them just quit the site anyway. I dont see why this scale is so harsh, it is almost unreasonable. If people get their feelings hurt about other offensive comments that are non-punishable, then what is the difference with bigotry?

Guys I didnt put this post up so you argue. This post is just here to point out a way CC could expolit some extra money. Hell, on the second offense I believe they should Strip the Premium. I am not trying to point out that it is too harsh, I take those words back. My point is CC can be fun, and I just felt the rules werent right, and money could come from these repeat offenders. So, with that said, I am altering my original punishment scale.
Last edited by D00MandD3A7H on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major D00MandD3A7H

Location: Launched from : Florida | Destination : UAC Headquarters on Mars

Re: Alternative punishment for Bigotry?

Postby drunkmonkey on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:50 am

This is the worst suggestion I've ever read.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby kuma32478 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:00 am

drunkmonkey wrote:This is the worst suggestion I've ever read.

+1. Nothing like a suggestion to take bigotry a little lighter. I'd be fine with a one and done policy after a warning.
Private 1st Class kuma32478

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:39 am

I'm fine with harsh treatment of real bigotry, but in most cases that we see, that's not what is being punished. We are simply punishing people for reflexively using words which, as Doom and Death points out, you can hear any day in any children's playground.

Real bigotry is saying "I hate f__s and think they should be publicly flogged like in the good old days!" But someone in an argument sayin "you f__!" is not semantically different from someone saying "you poohead!" It's an interjection signifying annoyance, and not to be taken literally.
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby drunkmonkey on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:01 am

Using that logic, saying "you n_____!" is no different than "you poohead!", because immature idiots do it on xbox live.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby 72o on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:05 am

I said this over in the banning thread.

I personally think people need to develop thicker skin regarding game chat. Just ignore it, or foe the offender and move on. Are you people really that insecure that an insult from a faceless stranger on the intertronz hurts your wittle feelings?

I see this stuff all the time, it's not worth crying to the mods about. Quit being a baby. This game is about competition and domination. When I hear those words I do not think rainbows and unicorns.

Game 11588184
Sergeant 72o

Postby 72o on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:07 am

And, if the site was really so butthurt about certain "bad words" like n*gg__ and f*gg__, it's pretty easy to make a replacement script where f*gg__ is replaced with "hippo" or whatever you want.
Sergeant 72o

Postby agentcom on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:34 am

D00MandD3A7H wrote: bigotry is ... intolerable

I dont see why this scale is so harsh

There's something wrong with this picture
Colonel agentcom

Postby Bones2484 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:40 am

D00MandD3A7H wrote:WoW, 1 warning is enough... But really? Kids are called "these" words in schools everyday, without trouble.

Your entire premise is pathetic and proves how terrible of a suggestion this is. Just because kids use these words, it should be allowed here? Also, kids caught using these words in school are definitely punished (not to mention the emotional trauma it causes to the young recipients of the words).
Major Bones2484

Postby 72o on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:06 am

Won't someone please think of the children?

I mean, surely they never hear offensive language on TV.
Sergeant 72o

Postby Woodruff on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:14 am

D00MandD3A7H wrote:BIGOTRY

WoW, 1 warning is enough... But really? Kids are called "these" words in schools everyday, without trouble. How can you honestly ban someone permanently after 3 times... That is too harsh.

No. Frankly, it's not even harsh enough. Fix the rules, not the punishments.

That being said, the current bigotry "rules" are idiotic. But suggestions to do something about it die a death because apparently nobody cares enough to do anything about it.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Woodruff on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:16 am

72o wrote:I said this over in the banning thread.

I personally think people need to develop thicker skin regarding game chat. Just ignore it, or foe the offender and move on. Are you people really that insecure that an insult from a faceless stranger on the intertronz hurts your wittle feelings?

I see this stuff all the time, it's not worth crying to the mods about. Quit being a baby. This game is about competition and domination. When I hear those words I do not think rainbows and unicorns.

Gotta be honest with you...you DON'T know the real-world situation someone may be in. To simply tell them to get a thicker skin or quit being a baby is about as insensitive and moronic a proposition as I can think of.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:18 am

72o wrote:Won't someone please think of the children?

I mean, surely they never hear offensive language on TV.

The language on tv isn't directed at them. TV is "make pretend".
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby drunkmonkey on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:19 am

Also, they're not banned to "protect the kids". They're banned because, well, bigotry isn't tolerated here.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby 72o on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:54 am

Woodruff wrote:

Gotta be honest with you...you DON'T know the real-world situation someone may be in. To simply tell them to get a thicker skin or quit being a baby is about as insensitive and moronic a proposition as I can think of.

Let's suppose for a minute I'm black and gay. If you were to call me both of the "horrible" slurs I already mentioned in this thread, I'm going to ignore you. I'm not going to go home and tell my mommy that Woodruff was mean to me. If you are any kind of minority, you're going to encounter bigoted people at some time or another. The over-protective mother-hen CC mods can't protect you when some racist a-hole berates you in person. Rather than have the mods of CC fight against the horrible injustices of being called a name, I'd deal with it the same way I do in real life. Ignore that person, and file away the knowledge that that person's opinions are valueless, because they are ignorant and closed-minded.

FTR, I am a minority, and I live in an area where racism and bigotry are as common as grits. Not that that is in any way relevant to this discussion.
Sergeant 72o

Postby IcePack on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:08 pm

72o wrote:And, if the site was really so butthurt about certain "bad words" like n*gg__ and f*gg__, it's pretty easy to make a replacement script where f*gg__ is replaced with "hippo" or whatever you want.

I don't agree with thr suggestion but I gotta say I am quite surprised more words aret filtered. It's very easy to do for forums. (not sure on game chat)

IcePack

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Woodruff on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:13 pm

72o wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Let's suppose for a minute I'm black and gay. If you were to call me both of the "horrible" slurs I already mentioned in this thread, I'm going to ignore you. I'm not going to go home and tell my mommy that Woodruff was mean to me. If you are any kind of minority, you're going to encounter bigoted people at some time or another. The over-protective mother-hen CC mods can't protect you when some racist a-hole berates you in person. Rather than have the mods of CC fight against the horrible injustices of being called a name, I'd deal with it the same way I do in real life. Ignore that person, and file away the knowledge that that person's opinions are valueless, because they are ignorant and closed-minded.

FTR, I am a minority, and I live in an area where racism and bigotry are as common as grits. Not that that is in any way relevant to this discussion.

Again, you don't know the real-world situation a person is in. Just being black and gay doesn't encompass the vast number if situations and issues that may be going on in an individual's life. Frankly, you just come across here like an insensitive jerk who is frustrated that he can't be a bigoted asshole on the site.

Postby Woodruff on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:14 pm

IcePack wrote:
72o wrote:And, if the site was really so butthurt about certain "bad words" like n*gg__ and f*gg__, it's pretty easy to make a replacement script where f*gg__ is replaced with "hippo" or whatever you want.

I don't agree with thr suggestion but I gotta say I am quite surprised more words aret filtered. It's very easy to do for forums. (not sure on game chat)

Filtering words is a useless exercise anyway. It's not like everyone can't figure out what the word was anyway. It truly is one of those fixes that doesn't fix a single thing.

Postby 72o on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Woodruff wrote:
72o wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Again, you don't know the real-world situation a person is in. Just being black and gay doesn't encompass the vast number if situations and issues that may be going on in an individual's life. Frankly, you just come across here like an insensitive jerk who is frustrated that he can't be a bigoted asshole on the site.

Insensitive jerk, probably so. Frustrated that I can't be an asshole, not so much. I can if I want, I'll just be banned. I do talk plenty of shit, but I typically don't insult people based on race, sexual orientation, or anything like that. It'd be fairly dumb, I don't know anything about them so I don't know if it applies or not. I don't really consider "fag" or other homosexual "insults" to be particularly insulting, I'd rather call you a f*ckstick or something. I do think it's funny that "retard" gets thrown around here like it's going out of style, and no one gets bent out of shape about that.

What does a particular person's immediate situation, and 'what's going on in their life' have to do with whether or not they should be able to deal with insults on the interwebz with some level of self-respect? I fail to see how it matters whether my wife beats me, or whether I find male genitalia attractive, or whether my sister's boyfriends' cousin just announced that he was gay, if someone calls me a pussy or a "fag". It doesn't.
Sergeant 72o

Postby 72o on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Woodruff wrote:
IcePack wrote:

Filtering words is a useless exercise anyway. It's not like everyone can't figure out what the word was anyway. It truly is one of those fixes that doesn't fix a single thing.

It's not useless, when the whole point of the rule is to keep people from saying the forbidden word, because people are offended when they see the word. They are not offended when they see the word "hippo".
Sergeant 72o

Postby Woodruff on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:18 pm

72o wrote:
Woodruff wrote:I do think it's funny that "retard" gets thrown around here like it's going out of style, and no one gets bent out of shape about that.

Actually, I have called for this to be considered bigotry, but unfortunately the mods don't think it's possible to be bigoted against the mentally challenged.

72o wrote:What does a particular person's immediate situation, and 'what's going on in their life' have to do with whether or not they should be able to deal with insults on the interwebz with some level of self-respect? I fail to see how it matters whether my wife beats me, or whether I find male genitalia attractive, or whether my sister's boyfriends' cousin just announced that he was gay, if someone calls me a pussy or a "fag". It doesn't.

It doesn't TO YOU. Which is good, in my opinion. But not everyone is you, and that sort of thing absolutely can affect someone very strongly.

Postby Woodruff on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:19 pm

72o wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
IcePack wrote:

It's not useless, when the whole point of the rule is to keep people from saying the forbidden word, because people are offended when they see the word. They are not offended when they see the word "hippo".

If the meaning of the subtitute word doesn't change the meaning of the sentence, then it is useless.

Postby 72o on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Woodruff wrote:
72o wrote:
Woodruff wrote:I do think it's funny that "retard" gets thrown around here like it's going out of style, and no one gets bent out of shape about that.

Actually, I have called for this to be considered bigotry, but unfortunately the mods don't think it's possible to be bigoted against the mentally challenged.

72o wrote:What does a particular person's immediate situation, and 'what's going on in their life' have to do with whether or not they should be able to deal with insults on the interwebz with some level of self-respect? I fail to see how it matters whether my wife beats me, or whether I find male genitalia attractive, or whether my sister's boyfriends' cousin just announced that he was gay, if someone calls me a pussy or a "fag". It doesn't.

It doesn't TO YOU. Which is good, in my opinion. But not everyone is you, and that sort of thing absolutely can affect someone very strongly.

Some people are allergic to peanuts, and being around peanuts affects them very strongly. Maybe peanuts should be banned so those people aren't at risk.

Some people can't speak English, and might be upset if they don't understand what I am saying. Maybe we should ban English so that they aren't left out of conversations.
Sergeant 72o

Postby Woodruff on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:02 pm

72o wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
72o wrote:

Some people are allergic to peanuts, and being around peanuts affects them very strongly. Maybe peanuts should be banned so those people aren't at risk.

Peanuts ARE banned in certain environments where it is deemed appropriate to do so. Much as bigotry is banned in this environment because it is deemed appropriate to do so.

72o wrote:Some people can't speak English, and might be upset if they don't understand what I am saying. Maybe we should ban English so that they aren't left out of conversations.

That actually makes sense to you as a viable argument?

Postby The Voice on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:14 pm

Some words rarely need context to know they are said with the intent to harm. CC has to be black-and-white with regards to said words because cyber bullying is a legitimate problem. As a writer, I'm a huge advocate for free speech, but even I draw the line between myself and these words. Allowing them to be used without reprimand gives us the ability to viciously torment others.

There's a big difference between this and trash-talking, regardless of the fact that some of us wouldn't take offense to or would ignore being labeled such things.
Last edited by The Voice on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major The Voice

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions