Conquer Club

Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:13 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:What is to be done?

Shall we start a vanguard?

If in this you mean start another risk-based website, if I had the time and the technical know-how to do such a thing I would seriously consider it. I'm that kind of person. ;)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:43 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:What is to be done?

Shall we start a vanguard?

If in this you mean start another risk-based website, if I had the time and the technical know-how to do such a thing I would seriously consider it. I'm that kind of person. ;)

Great. Are you good at mobilizing people into a furor, and can you look scary while shaking your fists?

We might have to break down the doors to lackattack's house and take control.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:47 am

Ahh, a hostile takeover eh?
Now you're talking!

I'm ordering the pitchforks as we speak.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:03 am

Woodruff wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I actually came here to play Risk on maps other than classic.

Me too. For me, the tremendous map variance is why I'm still here. And pretty much the only reason.

I came for the map variety. I stayed because of map variety, off-topics forum, and flat rate and no card games. And you know you love off topics. C'mon Woodruff. Just admit it.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:29 am

I came here to kick ass and and chew bubblegum.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:52 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:I came here to kick ass and and chew bubblegum.

And you're all out of asses?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:41 pm

And the bubblegum is stale.

Life is unbearable.

Wo

is me.

BOO HOO HOO
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby fadedpsychosis on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:46 pm

and now you know the answer to the age old question "does your chewing gum loose it's flavor on the bedpost overnight?"
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:15 pm

fadedpsychosis wrote:and now you know the answer to the age old question "does your chewing gum loose it's flavor on the bedpost overnight?"

One's chewing gum loses flavor overnight but one's ass gains flavor. Go figure.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby jak111 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:20 am

I had a whole page of writing wrote into this box but deleted it all because I think people are not worth the mind to comprehend it.

Basically the community is the problem. People worry about their points and winning so much that the enjoyment is lost. Without new players to play against and with old players gradually leaving. Who will be left to give a sh*t where you're ranked on the high-scores? Will it be worth it when the site closes down due to lack of money because no player is willing to pay for something they do not enjoy?

Don't get me wrong, there's thousands of us left and we all keep it alive so far. But how long will that last? How long until people just give up and leave completely?

If you want my opinion. Add a "credit" feature that you earn "credits" as you play games. Each game win/lose gives you a set amount of "credits" and you buy maps and settings with those "credits". But until you do, ONLY classic settings will be available. This will increase games of more basic set-ups and welcome new players by being able to play them. Also take the premium time things out. Like really? A noob has to pay so he can play a game with 5 min turn lengths? With 24 hours and only 4 games max, with nothing to do for hours he will turn away, finding the site uninteresting and never come back to pay.

If it wasn't for the Mafia forum, I wouldn't have the patience anymore to wait around for turns.
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Postby CBlake on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:07 am

I don't actually know what options there are for new players because its been so long since i've been one.. however is there any sort of tutorial or site guide? That shows what each panel and tab mean?
Also Why are new recruits able to join games with players of such high skill? Shouldn't there be simple games (As said in original post) on classic or a simple map with easy settings?
Kind of like in call of duty, when you first join you can do combat training against other players equally as new and inexperienced.
Couldn't CC auto set up 4 or 5 person classic standard games themselves just for new players, and after they sign up it leads them to the games?? To me its only common sense to have more tutorials and more training options for new players. Like I said im not sure what kind of things CC has for new players, but I'm almost certain it could be more newbie friendly.
dcowboys055 wrote:The alaska PD pwned you brian.
Captain CBlake

Postby blankityblank on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi all, I haven't read all 11 pages of this thread but I have read a fair bit! I have to agree with the first post, as a relatively new user I found the first few games confusing. Also once you complete your first 5 games the join a game tab becomes simply baffling. Their are millions of games I have no idea how you would even go about starting on, I even posted a question about one of the maps on the forum (the Europe map and where specifically Italy can attack) and got some quite useless (and snobby) answers and told to go get BOB. I have since got BOB and it offers a huge advantage, something I imagine a lot of people don't use (especially new people) and therefore are at an immediate disadvantage.

Also whenever I have looked for team games it seems like I can only join games against high ranks and I would play with non-premium cooks. Where is the fun in that? We would obviously get thrashed and so I have no incentive to join these games.

I don't think of my £17 or whatever it was as a waste, however as I play longer I am starting to feel that most games and options are simply there for more experienced people to gain points - nothing more nothing less. As exemplified when you search for 1 v 1 games and one bloke has set up 50 games of the same setting on some weird magic map which from looking at I would have no idea how to play.

Anyway - I have one simple suggestion that could offer new possibilities. Is there scope to set up "unrated games" so that no points would swap hands? This might encourage more mixing amongst different ranks and the opportunity for new people to play with and learn from those who are more experienced.
Sergeant 1st Class blankityblank

Postby CBlake on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:18 pm

blankityblank wrote:.
Anyway - I have one simple suggestion that could offer new possibilities. Is there scope to set up "unrated games" so that no points would swap hands? This might encourage more mixing amongst different ranks and the opportunity for new people to play with and learn from those who are more experienced.

This sounds like a pretty good idea actually to have unranked games for practice, don't know how hard it would be to execute of course.
dcowboys055 wrote:The alaska PD pwned you brian.
Captain CBlake

Postby wreckead on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:08 pm

CBlake wrote:
blankityblank wrote:.

This sounds like a pretty good idea actually to have unranked games for practice, don't know how hard it would be to execute of course.

perfect idea....I posted about having practice games years ago but it was ignored :? This is the single biggest thing we need to encourage newbies to go premium.

even though i have been playing on here for many years i still hate to play certain new maps because they just look so damn complicated. It must be easy to setup a non ranking section or fun section so people can play all the crazy new maps and learn to play them without the risk of being farmed. It would make it a much more fun place to be if no one cared about losing points. In all sports and games they practice so it would make sense to have it here also. Many new people would get to enjoy the games and the chat without the stress of getting raged at by rank whores for their bad moves, surely it would even be better for the more experienced played too as they dont get "noobed" as they say :lol:

Also he mentioned about clickies and bob, yes they give a huge advantage especially in the farmers favourite "freestyle" games. Just think how a new guy feels to take his go and end with a nice bonus only to start his next turn and find his opponent has cashed his bonus deployed his troops and took 10 of his territories before he has even had a chance to click start. Yeah freestyle can be fun but not clickies vs non clickies, they rarely would ever have a chance. I personally will not use any script as i feel if its not an integral part of the game then its a "cheat" not in the true sense of the word but certainly an unfair advantage. I some sort of clickies has been incorporated into the actual game itself but it is far inferior in speed to the clickables script which some use. Many high ranking players use these to great advantage in farming points from unsuspecting or honest players, is this a true reflection of their skill or just a person who a number/rank means more to them than a fair good fun game as it should be. "Yes im a colonel/brigadier i farm newbies all day on freestyle" no sir you are the noob, in my opinion :shock: i for one like to feel i have earned my points, we should all at least start on a fair playing field. And before the clickies users get up in arms at me i have no problem with you playing your mass freestyle games with each other, im sure its great fun but is there no way of marking a game for script users or just add whatever to the actual game and ban all other external scripts.

Im a hardcore old school gamer and i dont know many games where scripts are allowed if not positively frowned upon, im all for making the game easier and more fun but not with the loss of fair play.

That leads me to answer the original post, yes clans and very rank hungry people and dodgy game settings can drive people away from this site. There are far too many elitists on here, far more than there used to be, with there own private little clubs of gangers.i have nothing against either but i feel there should be some sort of separation. Also point farming which is rife here must certainly lead some people to think whats the point and also leave.

Practice games would at least allow people to get up to speed and have FUN aint that what we all came here for in the first place?

I dont think there are many people who can say they know all the maps. Help the newbies learn without fear and abuse, unless your scared of the coming competition :lol: or losing out on all them lovely easy points :twisted:

We need practice games...who agrees?

F**k me i've got writers cramp, time for a smoke :-$

PS ... One last point on new guys, if they come on the forums to ask a question or learn something why do certain people just put em down, too many haters. Welcome them into the fold maybe they will stay a while O:)

After all its only a game :D .. Wreck.
Colonel wreckead

Postby JimTapken on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:57 pm

I'm gonna laugh my ass off the day this site shuts down... the biggest complaint I see here is the so called random dice system... I code websites for people... I wrote a random password generator... and guess what... 9 out of 10 times... the passwords generated are not even close to each other... yet here with this "random" dice... you will see 6 after 6 after 6 after 6 come up 10 - 20 times in a row... so calling these dice random is a fraud to all people who walk in here...

bad dice for new users = bye bye shit site...

people certainly do not come in here to get screwed in their first 50 games and they can't get a break with these dice. It becomes discouraging and mundane.. so they leave and word of mouth across this vast universe we call the internet can make or break a site in a heart beat...

Everything has its beginning and end. Everything will reach its apex, then collapse like a house of cards

CC is no exception. and the proof is becoming more visible everyday.
Cook JimTapken

Postby stoicbird on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:13 pm

I agree with people who said they came into the forum as new players to ask for help or info and got sarcastic replies or put downs. Why certain people feel the need to do that is beyond me.

The forum is now a waste of time reading. Running to the mods to complain about what another player said seems to be the norm now. I believe this site has a very good set up but if there was an over 18s section on the forum that could revive this place. Or unban all players that weren't cheats but with a 1 strike and your gone again rule.

The maps are something nobody can complain about really. Its your choice what you play but maybe new players should only be allowed to make games for their first 10 games or so. I've not had a question mark join any game of mine for as long as I can remember.
Captain stoicbird

Location: bedlam or sitting in the pub staring creepily at ladies

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:17 pm

I think part of it is that the game of Risk is becoming less popular? I haven't seen it in stores for a while. It could be just as simple as that.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:I think part of it is that the game of Risk is becoming less popular? I haven't seen it in stores for a while. It could be just as simple as that.

Oh the revolution.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby stoicbird on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:45 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:I think part of it is that the game of Risk is becoming less popular? I haven't seen it in stores for a while. It could be just as simple as that.

Maybe they're all playing it online? Somewhere
Captain stoicbird

Location: bedlam or sitting in the pub staring creepily at ladies

Postby Just_essence on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:25 pm

Funny. Every forum I've ever been on always seems to have this type of thread. Always. There is never one exception. [Well, except for one relatively quiet forum I've been on, but only one.]
Private Just_essence

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:34 am

Just_essence wrote:Funny. Every forum I've ever been on always seems to have this type of thread. Always. There is never one exception. [Well, except for one relatively quiet forum I've been on, but only one.]

It's as if Just_essence arriving at a forum is a portend of doom.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Just_essence on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:53 am

Ahhh crap. I am forever doomed to only be in dying communities! NOOOOOOOOOO-----
Private Just_essence

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Just_essence wrote:Ahhh crap. I am forever doomed to only be in dying communities! NOOOOOOOOOO-----

I'm glad you took that as the joke that it was meant to be, and not the insult it could be contrived as. Let me hereby welcome you the Club.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Just_essence on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:47 pm

It could've been taken as an insult? :-s
Private Just_essence

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Just_essence wrote:It could've been taken as an insult? :-s

Yea, this forum sucks like that sometimes. Have to be careful what is written.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion