Conquer Club

missing turns

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

missing turns

Postby Alchemistery on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:21 am

Hi all,

I am new to CC and have played a few games now its a great site and some players have been extremely helpful with strategy, tactics and general advice which is cool.

However i have noticed that some players are missing turns twice in a row then using the deferred troops to their advantage once other players have played, does CC condone this as legitimate strategy ?

It does somewhat spoil the game in that the other players are held back by the slow playing by waiting for someone to play then they miss a turn then are faced with up to six deferred troops which can unfairly unbalance a region or territory - I am sure this is not the first time this concern has been raised by other players has there been an attempt by CC to address this in the past?

Is it not possible for the missed turn person to be allocated the three units automatically if they miss a turn on a randomly selected territory when the turn is missed ?

This would prevent players who deliberately miss two turns then being able to use the deferred troops to their advantage and genuine players who miss a turn will still get there units placed for them.

I think this may decrease the frustration for other players in the game and increase the enjoyment overall

best regards

Alchemistery
Major Alchemistery

Re: missing turns

Postby BGtheBrain on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:31 am

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby agentcom on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:55 pm

BGtheBrain wrote:Moved to suggestions

Would have preferred you just answered his question ... there are already too many of these topics and this will just have to get merged with others when somebody (read: me) gets around to it.

The response to the OP is complicated. Some people see it as legitimate strategy, others not. Some people think it often can help to miss a turn, others think that it's exceedingly rare that such instances occur. Some people have been punished for intentionally missing turns under particular circumstances, other missed turns under different circumstances are not punished.

The deferred troop system, though, is not likely to change. There's a long history of suggestions about changing it. The most common suggestion is to eliminate it entirely. That discussion is here: viewtopic.php?f=471&t=136056
Brigadier agentcom

Postby BGtheBrain on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:52 pm

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby stahrgazer on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 pm

I like this idea of having a program randomly place the troops, rather than allow the player to choose where they go.

I've seen suggestions but not this one. Yes, the most common suggestion was eliminate deferred troops, but that was always rejected as unfair to those who didn't miss it deliberately (maybe a storm knocked out their power that night, it's happened to me).

With this suggestion, tho, the player would at least still get troops; but it would minimize any incentive to deliberately miss a turn since the player would not get to choose where the troops go. Wouldn't think programming would be that hard, either, considering that random placement is already a viable function.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:36 pm

yeah this topic is very familiar..
I have noticed personally that in games where I miss turns I have ended up being at a disadvantage in the long run. If you notice someone miss, just play accordingly.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby darth emperor on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:42 am

stahrgazer wrote:I like this idea of having a program randomly place the troops, rather than allow the player to choose where they go.

I've seen suggestions but not this one. Yes, the most common suggestion was eliminate deferred troops, but that was always rejected as unfair to those who didn't miss it deliberately (maybe a storm knocked out their power that night, it's happened to me).

With this suggestion, tho, the player would at least still get troops; but it would minimize any incentive to deliberately miss a turn since the player would not get to choose where the troops go. Wouldn't think programming would be that hard, either, considering that random placement is already a viable function.

It has been suggested and rejected.

The real reason of having deferred troops, is not to have the troops that you should have gotten but to get a defense so you don't lose a lot from missing a turn, but if it's put random, three outcomes are possible:

a- That you get it where you wanted, so it makes no difference.
b- That you get somewhere that can reinforce to the place you wanted, it makes it useless.
c- That you get somewhere that it isn't useful at all, so you can't use these troops, that will make the same as eliminating deffered troops. As you'll be affected as much as someone who lost his turn without getting troops.

Also there's the problem if that you get all the troops in the same place, or each troop is randomly selected. I don't think is worth it to do it.
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby agentcom on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:51 pm

BGtheBrain wrote:Is there a problem moving a suggestion to suggestions or are you suggesting I move this suggestion to questions and answers?

BG, only later did I realize that this got moved from C&A. I thought that it was moved from Q&A (I should have known better given your color).

But yeah, this seems more like a Q&A type post. It has now been MOVED there.

If the OP would like to contribute a suggestion, he can feel free to head over to the suggestions forum and find the appropriate thread to comment on.
Brigadier agentcom

Postby SirSebstar on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Alchemistery wrote:However i have noticed that some players are missing turns twice in a row then using the deferred troops to their advantage once other players have played, does CC condone this as legitimate strategy ?

No, CC does not condone people using this in every single game, and as often as they can, however when it happens, it happens. You can pay attention to someone's attendance score. If they are below 90% odds are he is missing a LOT of turns. Finding people with more then a handfull of games under 90% is exceedingly rare...

Alchemistery wrote:It does somewhat spoil the game in that the other players are held back by the slow playing by waiting for someone to play then they miss a turn then are faced with up to six deferred troops which can unfairly unbalance a region or territory - I am sure this is not the first time this concern has been raised by other players has there been an attempt by CC to address this in the past?

Correct observation. There has to be some incentive to return to the game if you miss a turn, and this rule is likely to stay. However feel welcome to browse over to the suggestions forum and see what suggestions went before, and think about a really really good solution.

also, no comment on the random placement idea.
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Return to Conquer Club Discussion