Conquer Club

Premium Memberhip

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Premium Memberhip

Postby JoniD on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:59 am

Membership is down 5000+ since I fist started. Ever think of revamping membership fees to boost the business aspect of this site? Not getting my $25 or the $125,000 from others apparently...
Captain JoniD

Re: Premium Memberhip

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:41 pm

JoniD wrote:Membership is down 5000+ since I fist started. Ever think of revamping membership fees to boost the business aspect of this site? Not getting my $25 or the $125,000 from others apparently...

I don't think it's the cost of the site that's offsetting some members.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:18 pm

lack needs to either add more premium features or lower the price of premium. There's no reason for it to be stagnant like this.

GIVE US PICK YOUR OWN COLOR AND 12 PLAYER GAMES
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Army of GOD wrote:lack needs to either add more premium features or lower the price of premium. There's no reason for it to be stagnant like this.

I'm not sure what lowering premium would do to increase membership. It might work but its generally bad for a business to lower its rate. I suppose it's worth a shot if things get really bad.

But pick your own color? Are you serious about this? :-s

I'm not trolling you Aog, trying to play nice for a change.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby greenoaks on Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:49 pm

choosing your own colour is a pointless change that would not increase membership.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby rhp 1 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:40 pm

maybe the fact that it costs TENNYFIVE dollars is the problem...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby JoniD on Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:48 pm

Lack probably made his buck and no longer cares. Break even or more is good business at this point.
Captain JoniD

Postby greenoaks on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:02 pm

rhp 1 wrote:maybe the fact that it costs TENNYFIVE dollars is the problem...

25 is cheap for 12 months of entertainment
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Woodruff on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:03 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
JoniD wrote:Membership is down 5000+ since I fist started. Ever think of revamping membership fees to boost the business aspect of this site? Not getting my $25 or the $125,000 from others apparently...

I don't think it's the cost of the site that's offsetting some members.

Agreed. The cost is quite reasonable...cheap, even.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby JoniD on Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:45 am

So it's cheap in your opinion. Why the drop in membership then?
Captain JoniD

Postby notyou2 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 am

Idi Admin
Captain notyou2

Postby Johnny Rockets on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:39 am

Clamping down on the farmers, elimination of flame wars, ban happy mods, and fucking idiot whiners who quit when they can't f*ck around with impunity.

So many reasons really. The core population still has a big enough pool to grow. The game play is as good if not better, so that keeps me around. The social aspect of it? Well you can find a large group of opinionated assholes anywhere on the net.

$25.00 is a great deal for the game play offered. The mistake is when you think it buys you a free ticket to be a douche on the forums.

Jr
Sergeant 1st Class Johnny Rockets

Postby Chewie1 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:20 am

Premium is cheap.
For us Brits its about the cost of 4-5 pints of beer for a whole years gaming.

Membership is down for a number of reasons probably but there are still plenty of members and people joining.
Surely if it got bad for lacks point of view he would go on a recruitment drive.
I seem to come up against new players all the time and familiar players so for me its no big deal at the moment.
Captain Chewie1

Postby ljex on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:32 am

Johnny Rockets wrote:Clamping down on the farmers, elimination of flame wars, ban happy mods, and fucking idiot whiners who quit when they can't f*ck around with impunity.

So many reasons really. The core population still has a big enough pool to grow. The game play is as good if not better, so that keeps me around. The social aspect of it? Well you can find a large group of opinionated assholes anywhere on the net.

$25.00 is a great deal for the game play offered. The mistake is when you think it buys you a free ticket to be a douche on the forums.

Jr

I think the first point you made is spot on. Combine in that the lack of support of clans and i think those are the major reasons for the decline in paying members. When you look at it from a bang for your buck perspective clans need some relatively simple updates and have a lot of paying members. They also seem to be what keeps people here for extended periods of time as people develop friendships with a group of people. This is not to say that other features don't keep people here as well, just that clans seem to be one of the more common reasons.

I also think its important to note that the real issue to me seems that members sign up and quit. I know at one point i myself was one of those people. I made an account looking to play a few speed games of risk found out I couldn't do that and left. The design of the site is also not particularly friendly to new members and their ability to navigate through it and become part of the community. I'm not sure what the solution is, but something needs to be done to encourage people to stay past their first visit and become longstanding members of the site.

Lastly while most of you don't have an appreciation for this, lack really doesn't listen to the moderators. There are countless examples of this but the one that comes most to mind is the sites clickies. When he was designing them he asked for input and I wrote a post outlining why the sites clickies should not be disigned differently from the add-on ones. The basic points of the post were that
1. The site clickes would be way more complicated to use and learn
2. Players could not be as fast on site clickies (important for freestyle)
3. They were designed way to much to try to prevent mistakes instead of allowing a nice and fluent use of clicks/keys to perform a turn.
Now i'm not saying that he had to take my suggestions but he pretty clearly didn't take any of them into consideration. To my knowledge he didn't even respond to my post saying why he chose to go another way with his version of clickies. This is also the same reason for many other moderators getting fed up. JP for example tried for years to get updates for clans and eventually gave up due to lack not doing anything for clans.

I think the overall business model of CC is very interesting. When you really look at it CC is a great value for $25 but for the members that truly add to the community and make the site a more enjoyable experience dedicate a lot of time to being on this site. This caters to a small demographic just based on the fact that many don't have the time be here every day to take their turns. I think the site needs to realize that their success is based largely on their ability to convert someone signing up to a premium membership...something they at this time are not doing very well and keeping premium members here and entertained for a few years. Sure that sounds so simple and vague that many of you might make fun of me for stating the obvious but when we look at the updates over the years not a single one encourages people to stay past their first visit at a rate higher than before. They are missing half of the formula to their success entirely. We can debate all day if the updates have contributed to encouraging people to stay, in my opinion they have not but at least for this factor it is debatable. There have been a ton of suggestions over the years with the goal of keeping people who sign up here longer, maybe lack will finally implement one of them and god willing ask the community to help him decide how to accomplish this goal. There are some brilliant members who would jump at the ability to help, yet for some reason lack has yet to take advantage of this.
Major ljex

Postby rhp 1 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:45 am

greenoaks wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:maybe the fact that it costs TENNYFIVE dollars is the problem...

25 is cheap for 12 months of entertainment

I knew my sarcasm would be lost on someone...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=174761

Of course 25$ is reasonable... 25 bucks a year for unlimited access? great value...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby xeno on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:27 am

Johnny Rockets wrote:Clamping down on the farmers, elimination of flame wars, ban happy mods, and fucking idiot whiners who quit when they can't f*ck around with impunity.

Jr

I don't need to buy premium to feel entitled to be a douche on the forums.
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:38 am

Jr
:cry: <--- Johnny Rockets?

Imagine if cc really does go under, all the past conquerors will disappear, once again, into the realm of complete and utter obscurity. :o
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby tzor on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:47 am

JoniD wrote:So it's cheap in your opinion. Why the drop in membership then?

Membership is down due to a number of reasons; I don't think the "cost" of premium is a driving factor.
Cadet tzor

Postby notyou2 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:33 pm

tzor wrote:
JoniD wrote:So it's cheap in your opinion. Why the drop in membership then?

Membership is down due to a number of reasons; I don't think the "cost" of premium is a driving factor.

What are the reasons in your opinion tzor? Don't leave us hanging like that.
Captain notyou2

Postby rhp 1 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:17 pm

xeno wrote:

Jr

from what I've seen, many forum users are freemiums and many of those have been lifetime freemiums. So I'm not sure why CC would be real concerned about their point of view, I wouldn't if I ran this site... there are milions of places to chat on-line... the forums don't drive this site, premium members do, but often times it's freemiums (not exclusively of course) that do the most whining and complaining... Could CC be imporved? of course... but pandering to people who put nothing in the coffers seems illogical at best....
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby rhp 1 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:20 pm

Army of GOD wrote:lack needs to either add more premium features or lower the price of premium. There's no reason for it to be stagnant like this.

and $25? wow, that's what's keeping you from being premium? where can play a game for 5 cents or less (when you average it out)? right.. nowhere... the price isn't the factor...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby greenoaks on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:02 pm

Major Command charges $20 for 6 months.

this place is a bargain
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby rhp 1 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:10 pm

greenoaks wrote:Major Command charges $20 for 6 months.

this place is a bargain

good point, but irrelevant.... even 40 a year hear would still come out to less than a dime a game (if you played fairly regularly)... it's comical to think 25 is too much you cheap bastards...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:10 pm

rhp 1 wrote:

and $25? wow, that's what's keeping you from being premium? where can play a game for 5 cents or less (when you average it out)? right.. nowhere... the price isn't the factor...

AoG refuses to pay premium not because he is cheap but because the voices in his head told him not to. Wouldn't you do the same?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby xeno on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:32 am

rhp 1 wrote:
xeno wrote:

Jr

from what I've seen, many forum users are freemiums and many of those have been lifetime freemiums. So I'm not sure why CC would be real concerned about their point of view, I wouldn't if I ran this site... there are milions of places to chat on-line... the forums don't drive this site, premium members do, but often times it's freemiums (not exclusively of course) that do the most whining and complaining... Could CC be imporved? of course... but pandering to people who put nothing in the coffers seems illogical at best....

I've bought premium twice during my five year stay here.
Private 1st Class xeno

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion