Conquer Club

Filter maps in what year they were made

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby Gillipig on Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:23 pm

When you create a new game, instead of showing all maps in alphabetic order I think it would be better to first divide the maps into subgroups. All maps made in 2006 would be at the top (listed in alphabetic order within their subgroup of course, otherwise it would be very hard to find a map that you're looking for.) As you scroll down you find the maps made in 2007 in one subgroup, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and so on all listed in alphabetic order within it's subgroup. Right now it's a big mess with 200+ maps listed in only alphabetic order. If you're looking for new map which has recently been taken off beta you have to go through them all unless you remember what name is had. And if you want to play one of the older more simpler maps that you don't remember the name of you have to do the same. Maps would still be listed in alphabetic order but in a more structured way!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Re: Filter maps in what year they were made

Postby Bones2484 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:09 pm

Because it's much harder to figure out and remember the name of a map than what year it was made, right?
Major Bones2484

Postby chapcrap on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:10 pm

I don't really see the usefulness of this. It will just make it harder to find maps because not only do you have to know the name you have to remember when the map was made. Like anyone wants to go through that trouble for 200 maps.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:40 pm

Rather than this, we need to sort maps into categories according to gameplay.

Then you can browse either all maps, or one or more gameplay categories.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby chapcrap on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:17 pm

natty dread wrote:Rather than this, we need to sort maps into categories according to gameplay.

That is a much better idea. Although, I would still want to be able to have a full list of maps, sorted alphabetically, as it is now.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby DiM on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:23 pm

some very good map filter suggestions were made 4-5 years ago. as you can see we still have our quasi-alphabetical list instead of something much better.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:35 pm

I actually made my own list of when maps were made. I didn't get very far though. Simply use game finder to find complete games. All the maps on the first page (Classic, USA and Asia) get added to the first batch (they were all available at launch although not always in current form).

Then d the game finder again but uncheck those 3 maps. Then you will see the next batch of maps that were made. Some research can reveal exactly when the maps were made. I did about 10 rounds of this. I can send you the first 10 rounds of info if you want.

By the way, I am assuming you want to do this merely for historical curiosity rather than any inherent advantage to maps being sorted by year.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby DiM on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:45 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:I actually made my own list of when maps were made. I didn't get very far though. Simply use game finder to find complete games. All the maps on the first page (Classic, USA and Asia) get added to the first batch (they were all available at launch although not always in current form).

Then d the game finder again but uncheck those 3 maps. Then you will see the next batch of maps that were made. Some research can reveal exactly when the maps were made. I did about 10 rounds of this. I can send you the first 10 rounds of info if you want.

By the way, I am assuming you want to do this merely for historical curiosity rather than any inherent advantage to maps being sorted by year.

or you can go here and see the list of all maps and the times they were made: Gallery Index: Completed Maps :mrgreen:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:22 pm

DiM wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:I actually made my own list of when maps were made. I didn't get very far though. Simply use game finder to find complete games. All the maps on the first page (Classic, USA and Asia) get added to the first batch (they were all available at launch although not always in current form).

or you can go here and see the list of all maps and the times they were made: Gallery Index: Completed Maps :mrgreen:

:oops: Thanks DiM! Here's a scooby snack for you. =D>
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Woodruff on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:43 pm

Gillipig wrote:Filter maps in what year they were made

When you create a new game, instead of showing all maps in alphabetic order I think it would be better to first divide the maps into subgroups. All maps made in 2006 would be at the top (listed in alphabetic order within their subgroup of course, otherwise it would be very hard to find a map that you're looking for.) As you scroll down you find the maps made in 2007 in one subgroup, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and so on all listed in alphabetic order within it's subgroup. Right now it's a big mess with 200+ maps listed in only alphabetic order. If you're looking for new map which has recently been taken off beta you have to go through them all unless you remember what name is had. And if you want to play one of the older more simpler maps that you don't remember the name of you have to do the same. Maps would still be listed in alphabetic order but in a more structured way!

I'm failing to see the justification. It seems like it would add significant confusion to the process.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Gillipig on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:47 am

Woodruff wrote:

I'm failing to see the justification. It seems like it would add significant confusion to the process.

The justification is that it would be a more structured list of our maps. If you want to play the new maps you scroll down to the bottom, if you want to play the old maps you pick one at the top. I think some of you guys forget that they will still be listed in alphabetic order, only further divided into groups. If you want to find a map that you know the name of but don't know what year it was made, the only thing you need to do is to type the first few letters of the map and it will pop up. If I want to play Portugal I don't scroll down to P, I just type in por and in a split second I'm standing on Portugal.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby chapcrap on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:51 am

Gillipig wrote:If I want to play Portugal I don't scroll down to P, I just type in por and in a split second I'm standing on Portugal.

Then why do you need it broken down by year? If you already know that's all you have to do, then why not just do it?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Gillipig on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:57 am

chapcrap wrote:
Gillipig wrote:If I want to play Portugal I don't scroll down to P, I just type in por and in a split second I'm standing on Portugal.

Then why do you need it broken down by year? If you already know that's all you have to do, then why not just do it?

Like I said in the first post it's not always that you remember the name of a new map. You might know that it's new and created in 2011 but you don't know it's name. So instead of going through all 200 maps to find it you can just scroll down to the bottom.

Edit: this example is for maps that have recently come off beta.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Woodruff on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:16 pm

Gillipig wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

The justification is that it would be a more structured list of our maps. If you want to play the new maps you scroll down to the bottom, if you want to play the old maps you pick one at the top. I think some of you guys forget that they will still be listed in alphabetic order, only further divided into groups. If you want to find a map that you know the name of but don't know what year it was made, the only thing you need to do is to type the first few letters of the map and it will pop up. If I want to play Portugal I don't scroll down to P, I just type in por and in a split second I'm standing on Portugal.

Which you can already do. This would seem to contradict your own suggestion.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Gillipig on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:13 am

Woodruff wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Which you can already do. This would seem to contradict your own suggestion.

Not at all!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby tkr4lf on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:18 pm

chapcrap wrote:
natty dread wrote:Rather than this, we need to sort maps into categories according to gameplay.

That is a much better idea. Although, I would still want to be able to have a full list of maps, sorted alphabetically, as it is now.

This is still the best suggestion for organizing the maps.
Major tkr4lf

Postby Criticalwinner on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:40 pm

This idea would help when new maps are founded. However, this adds a brand new level of complexity that would be offputting for the masses. If you split the 20 newest maps into a sub-category; this might work and it would receive your desired effect.
Sergeant 1st Class Criticalwinner

Postby agentcom on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:10 am

DiM wrote:

You can also go here: viewtopic.php?f=358&t=169263 for a much better project on sorting the maps.

I wish that there were better ways on the site to sort various things, but sorting maps by date created would be very low on that list. Based on the comments, I do not believe that I am in the minority. Moving this to REJECTED.
Brigadier agentcom

Postby Gillipig on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Digging deep are we?
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby agentcom on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:37 am

Gillipig wrote:Digging deep are we?

The active suggestions were 6 pages long when I got here. I'd like to get it down quite a bit further. And I can do this type of stuff in a couple minutes while I'm waiting for class to end ;)
Brigadier agentcom

Return to Archived Suggestions