Conquer Club

[Beta] - Krazy Kingdoms

Maps that may be nearing the end of production. Finalize maps here, while testing.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [D] - Key Updated - (9/25)

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:13 am

Updated the key a lot. It is still in a state of flux with graphics not yet finalized and nothing perfectly lined up. But this should give us an idea if the map is readable and understandable just using symbology and as few words as possible.

=D=

Draft 0.0.9

Click image to enlarge.
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:32 pm

I am taking a couple day break from working on this to concentrate on personal stuff but will be back in a few days to pick up where I left off. I am looking forward to the feedback.

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:36 pm

dolomite, sorry, been a tad busy but can you clear this up for me. On he right, you have the miners symbol as 1=+2 and 3=+2. Which is it? Some of the others are the same way. Cultists, +2 for the nuclear symbol, is this for each or all of them.

I like the idea with the chasms being adjacent but this would only be used for reinforcements, does it seem a good way to use space. Maybe another simple bonus for holding both sides would make taking these territs more feasible.

Will have another look later for you in the week.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby nolefan5311 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:11 pm

I think the land portion of the map looks good as far as bonuses go, though you might want to remove the "+1 for each territory that borders you favored territory" and "+1 for every 3 territories that are neither favored nor adjacent". I don't know that this adds anything particular special to the map, or if its even possible with the current XML (writing a continent bonus that is solely dependent on your starting territory).

As far as the bonuses on the right side, I will need to take a much closer look at them.

Also, a couple minor things...for 2 players games I think you should make it a maximum of 2 starting territories per player instead of the 4 you have now. Makes for more interesting games. And for the chasms, you might want to make those stand out a little more...they're not very noticeable.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:20 pm

koontz1973 wrote:On he right, you have the miners symbol as 1=+2 and 3=+2. Which is it? Some of the others are the same way. Cultists, +2 for the nuclear symbol, is this for each or all of them.

I like the idea with the chasms being adjacent but this would only be used for reinforcements, does it seem a good way to use space. Maybe another simple bonus for holding both sides would make taking these territs more feasible.

The miner get +2 for each mine and whne they have all 3 mines they get an additional +2

1 Mine = +2
2 Mines = +4
3 Mines = +8

The same with the undead. However dwellers get less as the territories with caverns are adjacent. Cultists get +2 per radiation symbol but no extra at all 3 as they have other abilities as well.

The reason for the chasm's is to make the distance you need to go to get to another players start position one territory greater. But for overall balance of the number of territories adjacent to your favored territories for bonus purposes it was necessary to give you a way for that territory across the chasm to be adjacent. That way the territory is valuable to both you and your closest neighbor. Otherwise with no symbol and no way to make it worth anything but part of the standard +1 for 3 bonus of non adjacent territories players may not feel all that compelled to attack it out of fear of reprisal by their neighbor.

nolefan5311 wrote:I think the land portion of the map looks good as far as bonuses go, though you might want to remove the "+1 for each territory that borders you favored territory" and "+1 for every 3 territories that are neither favored nor adjacent". I don't know that this adds anything particular special to the map, or if its even possible with the current XML (writing a continent bonus that is solely dependent on your starting territory).

As far as the bonuses on the right side, I will need to take a much closer look at them.

Also, a couple minor things...for 2 players games I think you should make it a maximum of 2 starting territories per player instead of the 4 you have now. Makes for more interesting games. And for the chasms, you might want to make those stand out a little more...they're not very noticeable.

The "personal continent" concept revolves around your favored territories and the territories adjacent to them Territories that are neither fall into that pool of "others" that make up the +1 for 3. I did because on a small map I wanted their to be a lot of troops possible to make territories change hands alot and controlling the racial bonuses difficult.

The personal continent bonus structure is as follows.

+1 for each favored territory. (+4 bonus)
+4 bonus if you control all four of your favored territories. (+4 bonus)
+1 for each land territory that is adjacent to a favored territory that you control. Territories you control on the opposite sides of a chasm are adjacent. (+13 bonus)
+1 for every 3 land territories that are neither favored nor border a favored territory that you control. (15 territories = +5 bonus)

If you control every territory you would have a bonus of 26 troops.

And yes it's possible to write a "continent" to have a required element for the bonus. Each kingdom would have several continents for bonus purposes. I think it would look something like this.

No Kingdom = +1 for every 3 of any land territories (overridden if you have any of the following)
Kingdom 1 + Favored 1 + Border 1 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 1 + Border 2 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 2 + Border 1 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 2 + Border 2 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 2 + Border 3 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 3 + Border 1 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 3 + Border 2 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 3 + Border 3 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 3 + Border 4 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 4 + Border 1 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 4 + Border 2 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 4 + Border 3 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 4 + Border 4 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 1 + favored 2 + favored 3 + favored 4 = + 4 (favored synergy bonus)
Kingdom 1 + Non Border/Non Favored 1-3 = +1
Kingdom 1 + Non Border/Non Favored 4-6 = +2 (overrides previous)
Kingdom 1 + Non Border/Non Favored 7-9 = +3 (overrides previous)
Kingdom 1 + Non Border/Non Favored 10-12 = +4 (overrides previous)
Kingdom 1 + Non Border/Non Favored 13-15 = +5 (overrides previous)

* The tricky part is what about holding a territory that is adjacent to a favored but not holding the favored... should that count in the +1 for 3 or not.

It is possible that the bonus should be as follows...

+1 for every 3 land territories (32/3 +11)
+2 for each controlled favored land territory (+4)
+1 for each land territory that borders a controlled favored territory (+13)

Which yield almost the same number (28 instead of 26) and grants some bonus even if someone destroys your kingdom via the forbidden lands.

As far as the starts in a 2 player game, well that is set by the game itself I cant help how it splits the drops based on the formula for start territories and neutral starts. Unless there is a setting in the xml that I don't know about to limit the number of starting positions.

In a 2 player game
- both players would have 4 Kingdoms (Races) and 4 Adjacent Favored Territories each set to 3 armies. (8/2) - Player Start Positions
- both players would have 3 Creature Types each set to 1 armies with 5 remainder set to neutral . (11/3) - Random Drops

I've been working with the graphics a bit and want to make the map slightly bigger if I can and the key slightly smaller I will see if I can get a new map out this week.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby nolefan5311 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:37 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:I think the land portion of the map looks good as far as bonuses go, though you might want to remove the "+1 for each territory that borders you favored territory" and "+1 for every 3 territories that are neither favored nor adjacent". I don't know that this adds anything particular special to the map, or if its even possible with the current XML (writing a continent bonus that is solely dependent on your starting territory).

The "personal continent" concept revolves around your favored territories and the territories adjacent to them Territories that are neither fall into that pool of "others" that make up the +1 for 3. I did because on a small map I wanted their to be a lot of troops possible to make territories change hands alot and controlling the racial bonuses difficult.

The personal continent bonus structure is as follows.

+1 for each favored territory. (+4 bonus)
+4 bonus if you control all four of your favored territories. (+4 bonus)
+1 for each land territory that is adjacent to a favored territory that you control. Territories you control on the opposite sides of a chasm are adjacent. (+13 bonus)
+1 for every 3 land territories that are neither favored nor border a favored territory that you control. (15 territories = +5 bonus)

If you control every territory you would have a bonus of 26 troops.

And yes it's possible to write a "continent" to have a required element for the bonus. Each kingdom would have several continents for bonus purposes. I think it would look something like this.

No Kingdom = +1 for every 3 of any land territories (overridden if you have any of the following)
Kingdom 1 + Favored 1 + Border 1 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 1 + Border 2 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 2 + Border 1 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 2 + Border 2 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 2 + Border 3 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 3 + Border 1 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 3 + Border 2 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 3 + Border 3 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 3 + Border 4 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 4 + Border 1 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 4 + Border 2 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 4 + Border 3 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 4 + Border 4 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 1 + favored 2 + favored 3 + favored 4 = + 4 (favored synergy bonus)
Kingdom 1 + Non Border/Non Favored 1-3 = +1
Kingdom 1 + Non Border/Non Favored 4-6 = +2 (overrides previous)
Kingdom 1 + Non Border/Non Favored 7-9 = +3 (overrides previous)
Kingdom 1 + Non Border/Non Favored 10-12 = +4 (overrides previous)
Kingdom 1 + Non Border/Non Favored 13-15 = +5 (overrides previous)

* The tricky part is what about holding a territory that is adjacent to a favored but not holding the favored... should that count in the +1 for 3 or not.

It is possible that the bonus should be as follows... which yield almost the same number and grants a bonus even if someone destroys your kingdom via the forbidden lands.

+1 for every 3 land territories (32/3 - 11)
+2 for each controlled favored land territory (+4)
+1 for each land territory that borders a controlled favored territory (+13)

This would yield 26 bonus possible.

I am aware that It is possible to have a required element for a bonus, but basing that off of a starting position is where my inquiry is directed. I'd like to see what you come up with to see if it works. I do like this suggested bonus structure better as it rewards holding a favored land more than a land bordering a favored territory, and think you could even opt to get rid of the +1 for each land territory that borders a controlled favored territory.

dolomite13 wrote:As far as the starts in a 2 player game, well that is set by the game itself I cant help how it splits the drops based on the formula for start territories and neutral starts. Unless there is a setting in the xml that I don't know about to limit the number of starting positions.

In a 2 player game
- both players would have 4 Kingdoms (Races) and 4 Adjacent Favored Territories each set to 3 armies. (8/2) - Player Start Positions
- both players would have 3 Creature Types each set to 1 armies with 5 remainder set to neutral . (11/3) - Random Drops
=D=

This is possible by coding a max in the starting positions. Check the Conquer Rome xml where the barbarian's are written in. With 8 potential starting territories, it only affects 2 player games.

And you plan on having adjacent favored territories start as n3's as well?
Captain nolefan5311

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:10 pm

I am aware that It is possible to have a required element for a bonus, but basing that off of a starting position is where my inquiry is directed. I'd like to see what you come up with to see if it works. I do like this suggested bonus structure better as it rewards holding a favored land more than a land bordering a favored territory, and think you could even opt to get rid of the +1 for each land territory that borders a controlled favored territory.

I really want to stay with the bordering the controlled favored territory part as I went through a lot of effort to make sure that all of your favored territories were spaced in a way so that no two shared a common bordering territory and so that there was a single "continent" comprised of your favored and bordering territories in that "personal continent" concept. We could consider a smaller bonus so that those bordering territories are important but slightly less so.

+1 for every 3 territories. (32/3 +11)
+1 for every controlled favored territory (+4)
+1 for every 2 territories that border controlled favored territories. (+6)

Max bonus for territory = 21

Btw the player starting bonus would probably be

+1 (1-3 territories)
+1 for favored territory
Autodeploy 1 on kingdom

Unless a minimum +3 were added like in the basic CC game.

This is possible by coding a max in the starting positions. Check the Conquer Rome xml where the barbarian's are written in. With 8 potential starting territories, it only affects 2 player games.

Good to know I like that better than the way I have it.

And you plan on having adjacent favored territories start as n3's as well?

I'm open to start values.

Because the territory that borders your starting territory has no special ability symbol I was thinking that the starts would be as follows.

n = neutral / p=player

- Kingdoms (1p)
- Favored bordering the kingdom (3p)
- Special Ability (1p or 1n)
- Forbidden Lands (20n)
- Non start territories (3n)
- Seas (3n)
- Underworld (6n)
- Bomb (10n)
- Maelstrom (6n)
- Horde (6n)

I will do a proposed starting forces map with the next graphical update

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:18 pm

So your eliminated if you don't control any land territories.

What would the implication be for assassin games if the forbidden lands could not bombard kingdoms or special abilities and instead could bombard all land/sea and the bomb, maelstrom, horde and underworld? would being eliminated from the main land mass eliminate you?

This way you would always have a kingdom for the continent bonuses and your race ability would remain in tact to the end of the game. And take out that strange element of all of a sudden my undead fishermen can no longer fish or now I have generic fishermen.

Probably drop the forbidden lands to 15 if this were the case.

Thoughts?

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:05 pm

dolomite, as for the symbols, say +2 each - and with the 3 symbols +8. This will remove all confusion for players and make it easier to understand.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:30 pm

koontz1973 wrote:dolomite, as for the symbols, say +2 each - and with the 3 symbols +8. This will remove all confusion for players and make it easier to understand.

I do think I agree so I will make that change =)

[symbol] +2 each [symbol][symbol][symbol]+8

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby nolefan5311 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:07 pm

I'm going to go ahead and sticky this for the gameplay stamp. It will be here for about a week to make sure people have ample time to comment, but I poured over this map for the past couple days, and nothing blatant really stands out. Bonus structure, gameplay mechanics, etc., all look good and balanced.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby Robespierre__ on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:38 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:It will be here for about a week to make sure people have ample time to comment, but I poured over this map for the past couple days, and nothing blatant really stands out. Bonus structure, gameplay mechanics, etc., all look good and balanced.

Would love to know what you poured on the map ... am thinking a beverage of some alcoholic content?? :p
Major Robespierre__

Postby nolefan5311 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:14 pm

Robespierre__ wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:It will be here for about a week to make sure people have ample time to comment, but I poured over this map for the past couple days, and nothing blatant really stands out. Bonus structure, gameplay mechanics, etc., all look good and balanced.

Would love to know what you poured on the map ... am thinking a beverage of some alcoholic content?? :p

Ha! Typing too fast I guess (or all that "pouring" fried me brain!)
Captain nolefan5311

Postby macbone on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:14 pm

This is an amazing map, Dolomite. At first glance, I'm kinda reminded of the game Small World with all the varied races and bonuses. I'm looking forward to taking this one for a test drive.
Colonel macbone

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:09 am

I liked it better when the colours were brighter. It's harder now to see the difference between swamp and tundra, for example.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby nolefan5311 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:16 pm

We can go ahead and get this one stamped and moved on up to graphics. Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town for a couple days. Congrats dolomite, look forward to seeing this one progress up.

Captain nolefan5311

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:58 pm

Sorry dolomite, I forgot about this one. I will take a closer look at it in a couple of days. Also please change the title of the thread to read as follows: Krazy Kingdoms v.X [25 Nov 2012] pg.X This will help to know when the last update was done and what page it is on. Thank you.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby nolefan5311 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:06 pm

As it appears development on this map has stalled (see below), this map is being Moved to the Recycling Bin for the time being. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. :)

It's been almost 2 months since you've posted in the thread dolemite, so once you've posted an update, we'll get this moved back for you.
Captain nolefan5311

Re: [Vacation valid until June 2013] Krazy Kingdoms [D]

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:56 pm

I have been sooo busy ... update coming this weekend

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:59 pm

Bloody long weekends you have dolomite.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:57 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Bloody long weekends you have dolomite.

No $#!¥ ... Been having problems at work with a shitty boss so I've been focusing all my free time on freelance work and a job search ... I do expect to update this and Conquer 500 in the next month or two.

Sorry it's taking sooooooo long.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Trumpets Blair!!! - A New Map Has Arrived

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:37 pm

Well it is amazing what you can do when you are out of work ;)

- I made some changes to gameplay in this version but they are minor and fix some balance issues.
- I completely updated all of the text in the first post to reflect the changes.
- I would like to make it so that each player can only start with one kingdom and adjacent territory regardless of number of players. If the XML will allow it.

Hopefully we can take this baby out of mothballs now.

=D=

Current Draft Version 0.0.15
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7459/kk015lg.png
Click image to enlarge.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2190/kk015sm.png

Previous Draft Version 0.0.9 (for comparison)
show
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [27/3] pg 1/5

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:42 am

Back you go dolomite.Lets hope you stay the course now. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:17 am

koontz1973 wrote:Back you go dolomite.Lets hope you stay the course now. ;)

No kidding =) let's hope I don't find a new job too soon.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:22 am

A few concerns about the bonuses

Druid are 2 jungle or 2 forrest for +2 I am thinking it should be 2 of any combination of forest or jungle. I also think elementalists should work the same.

I am not so sure that fishermen arent a little too good as its too hard to dislodge them from seas. Maybe territories that border seas can bombard them?

Also not sure about wizards and their abilities and bonus. Its similar to barbarians but because of the "killer" i gave them a bigger bonus but that could still be too good. I wish they had implemented killer that degrade to 0 by now.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Maps