Conquer Club

Announcing Where Players are in Fog Games?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Announcing Where Players are in Fog Games?

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:42 pm

One man's gutter is another man's street evidently! ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:14 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:One man's gutter is another man's street evidently! ;)

--Andy

Yup.
Next time we get into a fist fight I'll start by kicking you in the balls first so as to honor you appropriately.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:38 pm

Campin_Killer wrote:What's the general take on this? I think it's a dick move and cheap, but what's the general opinion on doing this?

CHEATING at worst, lack of honor and respect for the game and the players and the settings at best.

That will get you some unos for ratings
Major Phatscotty

Postby Jippd on Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:21 am

The chat box is a tool for war. People can lie as much as they can tell the truth in the chat in fog of war games.

If you believe everything you read you are a sucker.

If you know how to manipulate and excel at all possible aspects that could equal a win in your game (which includes utilizing the chat as a tool) then you will likely win more games.

I have no feelings either way about people who do or do not talk in fog of war games.

If people give up details about me that I don't want revealed I lie back in the chat and make the other players choose who they want to believe.
Major Jippd

Postby oss spy on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:56 am

Phatscotty wrote:
Campin_Killer wrote:What's the general take on this? I think it's a dick move and cheap, but what's the general opinion on doing this?

CHEATING at worst, lack of honor and respect for the game and the players and the settings at best.

Cheating? What rule does it break?
2012-04-05 19:05:58 - Eagle Orion: For the record, my supposed irrationality has kept me in the game well enough. Just in rather bizaare fashion.

2012-04-05 19:06:28 - nathanmoore04: Look at your troop count...
Sergeant 1st Class oss spy

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:13 pm

oss spy wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

Hmm, lets think on this.
If you are in a road race and you slip some laxatives in your rival's gatorate, it's not necessarily against the written rules of the race but it would be considered by many to be cheating.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:36 am

Mmhm, very analogous. Let's see if we can think up some additional analogies:

It's like responding to one of those radio call-in contests, where you have like 4 mobiles calling in at once to give yourself a better chance. It is not against the rules, but it would be considered by many to be cheating.

Any others? ;)

--Andy

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:18 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Mmhm, very analogous. Let's see if we can think up some additional analogies:

It's like responding to one of those radio call-in contests, where you have like 4 mobiles calling in at once to give yourself a better chance. It is not against the rules, but it would be considered by many to be cheating.

Any others? ;)

--Andy

And you're questioning the relevance of my analogy? ;)

Come on, mine's got some nice implied imagery that can't be ignored and is sure to entertain the kiddies.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:51 am

True, true! :D

--Andy

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Now let's up the ante on Andy's analogy...
What if you had one hundred phones ringing in to the radio call-in? Would this make it any more like cheating? You would be a busy caller shuffling between them but it seems at least possible. Hmm....

Btw, Andy, you aren't by any chance speaking from experience on this one are you? I know I am for the road race but as it happens I wasn't the one who won that rivalry, if you catch my drift. :(
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Woodruff on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
oss spy wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

Hmm, lets think on this.
If you are in a road race and you slip some laxatives in your rival's gatorate, it's not necessarily against the written rules of the race but it would be considered by many to be cheating.

How is that an analogy to this? And no...I'm quite certain that would be LEGITIMATELY CHEATING, not "considered by many".
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:40 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
Hmm, lets think on this.

How is that an analogy to this? And no...I'm quite certain that would be LEGITIMATELY CHEATING, not "considered by many".

Considering there aren't too many real life analogies to risk, I would say it's as good as any(cough...call in contest..).

The analogy revolves around the fact that something that is not necessarily in the "rule book" can still constitute as cheating. Elementary, my dear Woodruff.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:54 pm

This is the dead horse that will never be beaten fully
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal 1st Class MoB Deadly

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:04 pm

MoB Deadly wrote:This is the dead horse that will never be beaten fully

Thanks for your contribution!
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby rhp 1 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:54 pm

Phatscotty wrote:

nonsense... you don't have to tell the truth goodball... it's called war

fog opens up the possibility of deceiving your opponents and gaining an advantage... to suggest it's "cheating" is ludicrous... Is holding back a stack from a boarder cheating? you're representing a single army when there is 30 behind him... Is that cheating? of course not... it's deception... not a perfect analogy for the analogy police, but you get the point...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:08 pm

rhp 1 wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

fog opens up the possibility of deceiving your opponents and gaining an advantage... to suggest it's "cheating" is ludicrous... Is holding back a stack from a boarder cheating? you're representing a single army when there is 30 behind him... Is that cheating? of course not... it's deception... not a perfect analogy for the analogy police, but you get the point...

To be fair it's not war, its a game. Sorry, just a little reality check there.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:28 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

Still, the point of a war game is to simulate war as much as possible without actually killing anyone or setting fire to any real villages.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby rhp 1 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

nonsense... you don't have to tell the truth goofball... it's called war

it's called hyperbole slapshot... sorry you got your panties in a bunch over it... just making a point

and calling people who reveal positions/troop counts in a fog game "cheaters" is another example of hyperbole...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:38 pm

rhp 1 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:To be fair it's not war, its a game. Sorry, just a little reality check there.

it's called hyperbole slapshot... sorry you got your panties in a bunch over it... just making a point

and calling people who reveal positions/troop counts in a fog game "cheaters" is another example of hyperbole...

Remind me whose "panties are in a bunch"?
You realize sarcasm loses its flavor when you hit someone over the head with it, right?

Anyway...
Sounded more like a Freudian slip than hyperbole tbh.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby rhp 1 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:To be fair it's not war, its a game. Sorry, just a little reality check there.

Remind me whose "panties are in a bunch"?
You realize sarcasm loses its flavor when you hit someone over the head with it, right?

Anyway...
Sounded more like a Freudian slip than hyperbole tbh.

sarcasm never loses it's flavor bud... and I don't slip... again, I was making a point, which is lost on you apparently.. oh well, I tried...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:12 am

rhp 1 wrote:
sarcasm never loses it's flavor bud... and I don't slip... again, I was making a point, which is lost on you apparently.. oh well, I tried...

Oops, there go those panties again! :lol:

Btw, your slip is showing with those "bud" and "slapshot" comments.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby fadedpsychosis on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:13 am

um... it's a war game. it has troops and attacks and everything. it simulates the tactics behind war, etc. I think your reality check bounced
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:00 pm

fadedpsychosis wrote:

um... it's a war game. it has troops and attacks and everything. it simulates the tactics behind war, etc. I think your reality check bounced

Touche, faded. :P
I still believe the healthier of the two would be to refer to it as a game rather than war. Generally speaking, war involves actual armies, battles, loss, etc. rather than "imaginary" armies, battles, loss, etc.. Of course, war game is the most appropriate. Durrrrrrrr.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby fadedpsychosis on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:13 pm

it's a better war game than an AI getting into the nukes...
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby oss spy on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:32 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
oss spy wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

Hmm, lets think on this.

Actually, that is written in the rules of the race and likely in the law as well. Tampering with someone's drink is definitely illegal.

Try again.
2012-04-05 19:05:58 - Eagle Orion: For the record, my supposed irrationality has kept me in the game well enough. Just in rather bizaare fashion.

2012-04-05 19:06:28 - nathanmoore04: Look at your troop count...
Sergeant 1st Class oss spy

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion