Conquer Club

Is this "cheating"?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Is this "cheating"?

Postby wombah on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:56 am

Okay, so I was playing a Fog of War game on Supermax Prison Riot. I controlled Cell Block A, and one of my opponents controlled Cell Block C. He stacked his men on 301, and I owned Cell Block C door. He was stacking alot of men, way more than any other player in the game, and the game turned in somewhat of a stalemate for awhile. So I told other players of how many troops he had on that area so other people would be aware of how strong he was. The player accused me of cheating, and he told me I "wasnt respecting the rules". I thought this was well within my right as a strategy.

I just want to hear thoughts on this. If I was in the wrong, I'll apologize and never do it again. I thought I was making a strategic neccessity for the other players. But whatever
Corporal 1st Class wombah

Re: Is this "cheating"?

Postby fadedpsychosis on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:01 am

yeah, this gets covered a lot, like in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=175712
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby Bones2484 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:15 am

No. It is not cheating.

It is only discouraged as "contrary to the spirit of the game" by people who don't understand the importance of game chat.
Major Bones2484

Postby oss spy on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:24 am

Try asking them exactly what you're doing wrong and see what answer they come up with.
2012-04-05 19:05:58 - Eagle Orion: For the record, my supposed irrationality has kept me in the game well enough. Just in rather bizaare fashion.

2012-04-05 19:06:28 - nathanmoore04: Look at your troop count...
Sergeant 1st Class oss spy

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:31 pm

Bones2484 wrote:No. It is not cheating.

It is only discouraged as "contrary to the spirit of the game" by people who don't understand the importance of game chat.

It's only encouraged by spineless players who need to get wins "contrary to the spirit of the game" because their egos are attached to their cc scores. :lol:
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:53 pm

It isn't illegal if the cops don't know it.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:29 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:It isn't illegal if the cops don't know it.

*hammering heard on BBS's cockroach infested apartment door*
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:42 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:It isn't illegal if the cops don't know it.

*hammering heard on BBS's cockroach infested apartment door*

Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby chang50 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:11 am

Of course its not cheating,'contrary to the spirit of the game',is a way too nebulous and ambiguous phrase to have any useful application in practice,as was demonstrated in the recent GLG fiasco.Lets just have clear precise rules consistently implemented and less 'spirit of the game' bullshit.
Captain chang50

Postby fadedpsychosis on Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:44 am

chang50 wrote:

Of course its not cheating,'contrary to the spirit of the game',is a way too nebulous and ambiguous phrase to have any useful application in practice,as was demonstrated in the recent GLG fiasco.Lets just have clear precise rules consistently implemented and less 'spirit of the game' bullshit.

you could easily interpret the 'spirit of the game' as winning on whatever terms suit your fancy at any given moment.
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:33 am

Tired old topic. Not cheating. Conclusively debated to death in at least a dozen threads.

Move along, nothing to see here.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:26 am

Dukasaur wrote:Tired old topic. Not cheating. Conclusively debated to death in at least a dozen threads.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Ok, Scrooge. ;)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Woodruff on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:48 am

wombah wrote:Okay, so I was playing a Fog of War game on Supermax Prison Riot. I controlled Cell Block A, and one of my opponents controlled Cell Block C. He stacked his men on 301, and I owned Cell Block C door. He was stacking alot of men, way more than any other player in the game, and the game turned in somewhat of a stalemate for awhile. So I told other players of how many troops he had on that area so other people would be aware of how strong he was. The player accused me of cheating, and he told me I "wasnt respecting the rules". I thought this was well within my right as a strategy.

I just want to hear thoughts on this. If I was in the wrong, I'll apologize and never do it again. I thought I was making a strategic neccessity for the other players. But whatever

Not only is it not cheating, it's not even unsportsmanlike. Why? Because for all anyone knows, you could be lying about those numbers anyway. Not that I would ever lie in gamechat, I should point out. It is well known that Vulcans are incapable of lying.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:52 am

Woodruff wrote:
wombah wrote:Okay, so I was playing a Fog of War game on Supermax Prison Riot. I controlled Cell Block A, and one of my opponents controlled Cell Block C. He stacked his men on 301, and I owned Cell Block C door. He was stacking alot of men, way more than any other player in the game, and the game turned in somewhat of a stalemate for awhile. So I told other players of how many troops he had on that area so other people would be aware of how strong he was. The player accused me of cheating, and he told me I "wasnt respecting the rules". I thought this was well within my right as a strategy.

Not only is it not cheating, it's not even unsportsmanlike. Why? Because for all anyone knows, you could be lying about those numbers anyway. Not that I would ever lie in gamechat, I should point out. It is well known that Vulcans are incapable of lying.

For some reason, I don't trust you, Woodruff...?!?! ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:58 am

Woodruff wrote:

Yes, well vulcans are also supposed to be logical too so there goes that out the window. :P
You have to admit that while I suppose breaking the silence in fog as a diversion could happen, it rarely does. When the cat is initially let out of the bag its usually in desperation and not some scheme.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Woodruff on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:24 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

For some reason, I don't trust you, Woodruff...?!?! ;)

Highly illogical!
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby fadedpsychosis on Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Woodruff wrote:

you might just tell something that may not be entirely accurate... from a certain point of view
Private fadedpsychosis

Return to Conquer Club Discussion