Conquer Club

<Removed>

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: What is the Republican Party?

Postby Juan_Bottom on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:01 pm

I'm sure that crowd of Middle Class Americans with their $77,000 tax-credit Dressage Horses got that message during his speech.

I'm sorry, but his campaign is just so hilarious. I started out thinking Romney was a bad politician who was just.... ambitious. But I don't feel like I need to do a thing to expose him or his policy plans anymore. The man can't go a week without saying something hilariously bad. That man is proof that God wants America to re-elect Barack Obama.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby Night Strike on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Night Strike wrote:Why did you laugh?

Because he essentially shot himself in the foot. Again.

Again....so?

You don't think that someone who doesn't like Romney (as Juan clearly doesn't) wouldn't find that funny? Why not? It seems pretty basic.

And as you ignored the rest of my post, he didn't shoot himself in the foot. He stated the truth about his proposals instead of Obama's distortions.
Major Night Strike

Postby Woodruff on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Again....so?

You don't think that someone who doesn't like Romney (as Juan clearly doesn't) wouldn't find that funny? Why not? It seems pretty basic.

And as you ignored the rest of my post, he didn't shoot himself in the foot.

He certainly did. You don't seem to be paying much attention to the response to this story.

Night Strike wrote:He stated the truth about his proposals instead of Obama's distortions.

Even IF this is true, it doesn't at all change the reality of what I'm saying.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Night Strike on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:31 pm

Woodruff wrote:He certainly did. You don't seem to be paying much attention to the response to this story.

You mean there is a story behind his pretty picture? Maybe he should have posted actual links.
Major Night Strike

Postby Juan_Bottom on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:34 pm

Dude lol this

Postby Woodruff on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:He certainly did. You don't seem to be paying much attention to the response to this story.

You mean there is a story behind his pretty picture? Maybe he should have posted actual links.

It would have been a lot more effective to have simply typed "You are correct.".
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:52 pm

The Cherokee Nation is disappointed in and denounces the disrespectful actions of staffers and supporters of Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown. The conduct of these individuals goes far beyond what is appropriate and proper in political discourse. The use of stereotypical “war whoop chants” and “tomahawk chops” are offensive and downright racist. It is those types of actions that perpetuate negative stereotypes and continue to minimize and degrade all native peoples.

The individuals involved in this unfortunate incident are high ranking staffers in both the senate office and the Brown campaign. A campaign that would allow and condone such offensive and racist behavior must be called to task for their actions.

The Cherokee Nation is a modern, productive society, and I am blessed to be their chief. I will not be silent when individuals mock and insult our people and our great nation.

We need individuals in the United States Senate who respect Native Americans and have an understanding of tribal issues. For that reason, I call upon Sen. Brown to apologize for the offensive actions of his staff and their uneducated, unenlightened and racist portrayal of native peoples.

http://samuel-warde.com/2012/09/cheroke ... offensive/

Postby Woodruff on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:23 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:The Cherokee Nation is disappointed in and denounces the disrespectful actions of staffers and supporters of Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown. The conduct of these individuals goes far beyond what is appropriate and proper in political discourse. The use of stereotypical “war whoop chants” and “tomahawk chops” are offensive and downright racist. It is those types of actions that perpetuate negative stereotypes and continue to minimize and degrade all native peoples.

The individuals involved in this unfortunate incident are high ranking staffers in both the senate office and the Brown campaign. A campaign that would allow and condone such offensive and racist behavior must be called to task for their actions.

The Cherokee Nation is a modern, productive society, and I am blessed to be their chief. I will not be silent when individuals mock and insult our people and our great nation.

We need individuals in the United States Senate who respect Native Americans and have an understanding of tribal issues. For that reason, I call upon Sen. Brown to apologize for the offensive actions of his staff and their uneducated, unenlightened and racist portrayal of native peoples.

http://samuel-warde.com/2012/09/cheroke ... offensive/[/quote]

Yes, this was a thoroughly stupid thing for them to do. No question about it, and the Cherokee nation has every right to criticize them for it.

By the same token, the primary chief of the Cherokee nation happens to be a Democrat who spoke at the DNC. So while I think he's right in saying what he says, I find myself seriously questioning his individual motives in doing so.

Postby Night Strike on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Scott Brown's campaign did not condone those actions as the statement claims.
Major Night Strike

Postby Juan_Bottom on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:37 pm

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Great posts, JB! <pukes>

Median Voter Theorem
The median voter theorem seems to explain a few of the phenomena that occur in majoritarian voting systems. First, it may explain why politicians tend to adopt similar platforms and campaign rhetoric. In order to win the majority vote, politicians must tailor their platforms to the median voter.[2] For example, in the United States, the Democratic and Republican candidates typically move their campaign platforms towards the middle during general elections campaigns. Just as sellers in the private market try to win over their competitor’s customers by making slight changes to better their products, so, too, do politicians deviate only slightly from their opponent’s platform so as to gain votes.[2]

Second, the median voter theorem may explain why radical candidates or parties rarely get elected. If a politician is, for example, an extreme liberal on the very left end of the political spectrum, they will not capture nearly as many votes as the politician whose campaign platforms are more moderate. Finally, the theorem may explain why two major political parties tend to emerge in majoritarian voting systems (Duverger's law). Indeed, in the United States there are countless political parties, but only two major parties play a part in almost every major election: the Democratic and Republican parties. According to the median voter theorem third parties will rarely, if ever, win elections for same reason why extreme candidates do not tend to win. The major parties tend to co-opt the platforms of the minor parties in order to secure more votes.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_voter_theorem

(note the assumptions in the beginning of that link. A bit bold, but for mainstream economists, tractability matters more so than accuracy over all situations. To compensate, there's a weak version and a strong version. See: Explanations, first two paragraphs).
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:49 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Again....so? People who actually pay attention to Romney know that this has always been his plan. There's nothing new here. Obama always claims that Romney's plans will only end up in massive tax cuts to "the rich", yet he always ignores that Romney plans to cut deductions. Romney's simply pointing out the reality of the plan that Obama continues to distort.

It's called class warfare, and it's Obama's hallmarx
Major Phatscotty

Postby Woodruff on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Again....so? People who actually pay attention to Romney know that this has always been his plan. There's nothing new here. Obama always claims that Romney's plans will only end up in massive tax cuts to "the rich", yet he always ignores that Romney plans to cut deductions. Romney's simply pointing out the reality of the plan that Obama continues to distort.

It's called class warfare, and it's Obama's hallmarx

You do realize that "class warfare" isn't the same as "not always getting your way", right?

Postby Woodruff on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:36 pm

According to Sen. Patty Murray, an anonymous Senate Republican is blocking a cost of living increase for America’s disabled veterans.

A Republican senator is using an anonymous hold to block the traditionally bipartisan cost of living adjustment that is given to America’s disabled veterans and their survivors.

Postby Night Strike on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:
According to Sen. Patty Murray, an anonymous Senate Republican is blocking a cost of living increase for America’s disabled veterans.

A Republican senator is using an anonymous hold to block the traditionally bipartisan cost of living adjustment that is given to America’s disabled veterans and their survivors.

While veterans are the only group that the federal government should be providing any sort of continual assistance to, this story just goes to show how everything the government does has become political. Why should cost of living adjustments from the government be automatic when the government has record debts and the private sector has had very little in raises over the past 4 years? No one can even ask these questions because it's all a political game about hating whichever group of people is affected.
Major Night Strike

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:42 pm

Because the cost of living has gone up and these veterans were promised this when they enlisted the first time?

Postby Night Strike on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Because the cost of living has gone up and these veterans were promised this when they enlisted the first time?

Because the government continues to monetize the debt and institute inflation?
Major Night Strike

Postby Woodruff on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:44 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:

While veterans are the only group that the federal government should be providing any sort of continual assistance to, this story just goes to show how everything the government does has become political. Why should cost of living adjustments from the government be automatic when the government has record debts and the private sector has had very little in raises over the past 4 years? No one can even ask these questions because it's all a political game about hating whichever group of people is affected.

Why is it so difficult for you to just say "Senator Murray is wrong on this one"? I mean, you would clearly seem to believe that he is. Why must you reflexively support anything done by a Republican?

Postby Night Strike on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:17 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:

Why is it so difficult for you to just say "Senator Murray is wrong on this one"? I mean, you would clearly seem to believe that he is. Why must you reflexively support anything done by a Republican?

You must not even know who Senator Murray is considering you used "he".
Major Night Strike

Postby john9blue on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:56 pm

Night Strike wrote:

so??

ignorance has never stopped woody before!
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:12 am

Murry is the commenter, the Republican is anonymous.

But that's a deflection away from Woodsruff's point.

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:17 am

Night Strike wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:

I don't. I also don't remember claiming that I did. Is it relevant? Were you going to answer the question, or try to distract from it?

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:18 am

john9blue wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

so??

How is this relevant, Mr Moderate?

Postby john9blue on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:43 am

Woodruff wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

so??

How is this relevant, Mr Moderate?

well, you have an awfully strong opinion for someone who doesn't even know what they're talking about.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,