Conquer Club

<Removed>

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: What is the Republican Party?

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:48 am

john9blue wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
You must not even know who Senator Murray is considering you used "he".

so??

ignorance has never stopped woody before!

How is this relevant, Mr Moderate?

well, you have an awfully strong opinion for someone who doesn't even know what they're talking about.

So because I don't know whether a specific Senator is a male or a female, that means I "don't know what I'm talking about" on the issue? If the issue wasn't "What is the gender of the specific Senator", then how is that relevant, Mr Moderate? Or does Mr Moderate just want to try to take a potshot without any substance?

Is the Senator's gender relevant to this Veteran's issue?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby john9blue on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:33 am

Woodruff wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

so??

well, you have an awfully strong opinion for someone who doesn't even know what they're talking about.

So because I don't know whether a specific Senator is a male or a female, that means I "don't know what I'm talking about" on the issue? If the issue wasn't "What is the gender of the specific Senator", then how is that relevant, Mr Moderate? Or does Mr Moderate just want to try to take a potshot without any substance?

there's no avoiding the fact that you don't know the facts about the issue and didn't read the article. your ignorance of murray's gender makes that crystal clear.

i'm just saying it's bad form to enter a debate when you haven't made any attempt to understand the issue. and you do that far too often.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:09 pm

john9blue wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

so??

there's no avoiding the fact that you don't know the facts about the issue and didn't read the article. your ignorance of murray's gender makes that crystal clear.

i'm just saying it's bad form to enter a debate when you haven't made any attempt to understand the issue. and you do that far too often.

You believe that I, as a DISABLED MILITARY VETERAN, don't understand the facts about this issue, WHICH IS A DISABLED MILITARY VETERAN ISSUE, simply because I didn't know the gender of a Senator involved?

This tells me that you're irrevokably stupid. There's really no other way to put it, you stupid f*ck.

Something's crystal clear alright, and it's your lack of objectivity, Mr. Moderate.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby tzor on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:24 pm

I haven't been paying attention to this thread. I was going to ask what all the BS was but decided to go back and find the actual cause of the problem instead.

So we are all complaining about a COLA for disabled veterans? I could go into a long and complex rant about the nature of inflation, but Woodruff's right, blocking COLA for disabled veterans is just wrong in every way. Baseline accounting is wrong and should not be used, but for basic people who are dependent on the government who have given themselves to the government (since their disability is in service to the government) having the government then take from their wages because of inflation (caused by the Federal Reserve) is so wrong from a moral standard I'm surprised anyone would be for it.
Cadet tzor

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:30 pm

tzor wrote:I haven't been paying attention to this thread. I was going to ask what all the BS was but decided to go back and find the actual cause of the problem instead.

So we are all complaining about a COLA for disabled veterans? I could go into a long and complex rant about the nature of inflation, but Woodruff's right, blocking COLA for disabled veterans is just wrong in every way. Baseline accounting is wrong and should not be used, but for basic people who are dependent on the government who have given themselves to the government (since their disability is in service to the government) having the government then take from their wages because of inflation (caused by the Federal Reserve) is so wrong from a moral standard I'm surprised anyone would be for it.

I'm not actually sure that anyone has said they're for the idea of blocking the COLA for disabled veterans, other than one Republican Senator. Mostly, the thread has gone like this:

Juan_Bottom made a post trying to incriminate (successfully, in my opinion) one individual from the Republican Party, and probably pretending that it was a wide-scale Republican plan (unsuccessfully).
Night Strike attempted to defend that Senator with some weird excuse while very vaguely trying to say without saying that he thinks the Senator is wrong.
I called Night Strike out on that bit of partisanship.
Phatscotty and john9blue started claiming that because I didn't realize the Senator was female, my entire position in the thread was based on ignorance.
I called the two of them out on their bullshit, knowing that my personal involvement in the issue led me to be very familiar with it.

Sometimes, I wonder if Phatscotty appreciates john9blue's supremely repressed gag reflex.

Postby john9blue on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:37 pm

here's what happened: you saw the title, thought "i'm a disabled veteran too, i want my cost of living adjustment, that anonymous republican is doing a bad thing"

and yes, they probably ARE doing a bad thing

but you just jump right in with your baseless opinions, without even doing the slightest bit of research, and expect us to respect them? why? just because you might be one of the people affected?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

Postby Symmetry on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:48 pm

john9blue wrote:here's what happened: you saw the title, thought "i'm a disabled veteran too, i want my cost of living adjustment, that anonymous republican is doing a bad thing"

but you just jump right in with your baseless opinions, without even doing the slightest bit of research, and expect us to respect them? why? just because you might be one of the people affected?

So you essentially think the Republicans are doing something bad, but don't want someone else pointing it out?

A baseless accusation that you probably agree with?

Hmm.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby john9blue on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Symmetry wrote:
john9blue wrote:here's what happened: you saw the title, thought "i'm a disabled veteran too, i want my cost of living adjustment, that anonymous republican is doing a bad thing"

So you essentially think the Republicans are doing something bad, but don't want someone else pointing it out?

Hmm.

the journey to the right answer is more important than the destination.

people can believe whatever the hell they want, but if it's for the wrong reasons then i will call them out on it. that's why most of my criticism is directed at liberals despite the fact that i often agree with them.
Captain john9blue

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:18 pm

Baseless opinions? Exactly what was it that I said, OTHER THAN A MISTAKE OF GENDER OF A SENATOR, that was baseless, John? Please be precise here. Thanks!

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:19 pm

john9blue wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Hmm.

people can believe whatever the hell they want, but if it's for the wrong reasons then i will call them out on it. that's why most of my criticism is directed at liberals despite the fact that i often agree with them.

The journey to the destination has been my entire adult life, you stupid shit. What about YOUR "journey to the destination" in this thread, Mr Moderate?

You've concluded that my reasons "are the wrong reasons" BECAUSE I WAS MISTAKEN ABOUT THE GENDER OF A SENATOR?

And this is your defense following my clear point that "I don't know anything about the issue" was shot full of holes, right?

Like I said, I hope Phatscotty appreciates your supremely repressed gag reflex.

Postby john9blue on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Woodruff wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Hmm.

The journey to the destination has been my entire adult life, you stupid shit. What about YOUR "journey to the destination" in this thread, Mr Moderate?

You've concluded that my reasons "are the wrong reasons" BECAUSE I WAS MISTAKEN ABOUT THE GENDER OF A SENATOR?

And this is your defense following my clear point that "I don't know anything about the issue" was shot full of holes, right?

i never said you don't know anything about this issue. i said that you shouldn't be commenting on an article that you didn't bother to read. don't you agree?
Captain john9blue

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:34 pm

john9blue wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Hmm.

i never said you don't know anything about this issue. i said that you shouldn't be commenting on an article that you didn't bother to read. don't you agree?

Oh, John...at what point do you just stop? Almost every post you've made in this thread has been a statement about my knowledge of this issue. But here you go, from this thread, Mr Moderate:

john9blue wrote:so??

john9blue wrote:well, you have an awfully strong opinion for someone who doesn't even know what they're talking about.

john9blue wrote:there's no avoiding the fact that you don't know the facts about the issue and didn't read the article. your ignorance of murray's gender makes that crystal clear.

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:54 pm

And aside from all of those quotes, you never did answer me as to why my lack of knowledge of the Senator's gender has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with the issue.

Hell, I could've played the dishonest game and just said that it was a typo on my part and I meant to type "she" there...nobody would've been able to dispute that.

But I didn't. So why are you playing the dishonest game, John?

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Dude, you got busted trolling, HARD. You don't have a clue what you are talking out.

Nothing can repress that

Major Phatscotty

Postby john9blue on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:44 pm

Woodruff wrote:And aside from all of those quotes, you never did answer me as to why my lack of knowledge of the Senator's gender has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with the issue.

Hell, I could've played the dishonest game and just said that it was a typo on my part and I meant to type "she" there...nobody would've been able to dispute that.

for the last time, i don't have a problem with your position on the issue of disabled veterans. i have a problem with you talking about something you don't know about (in this case, an article that you didn't read).

why would i be debating you on the "issue" of COL for veterans if i agreed with you on that issue? doesn't make sense.

it's interesting watching you weasel your way out of situations in which your ignorance has been exposed. your recent claim that tax increases cannot negatively affect businesses comes to mind. i would have more respect for you if you were able to admit when you were clearly and undeniably wrong. but once again you took the low road and got exposed as a child who can't admit his mistakes.
Captain john9blue

Postby Night Strike on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:10 pm

Why should any upward cost of living adjustment (that are never adjusted down, fyi) for anyone getting money from the government be automatic when those same adjustments aren't automatic for private sector employees, especially in a down economy?
Major Night Strike

Postby Symmetry on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Night Strike wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Woodruff wrote:And aside from all of those quotes, you never did answer me as to why my lack of knowledge of the Senator's gender has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with the issue.

But I didn't.[/list] So why are you playing the dishonest game, John?

for the last time, i don't have a problem with your position on the issue of disabled veterans. i have a problem with you talking about something you don't know about (in this case, an article that you didn't read).

why would i be debating you on the "issue" of COL for veterans if i agreed with you on that issue? doesn't make sense.

it's interesting watching you weasel your way out of situations in which your ignorance has been exposed. your recent claim that tax increases cannot negatively affect businesses comes to mind. i would have more respect for you if you were able to admit when you were clearly and undeniably wrong. but once again you took the low road and got exposed as a child who can't admit his mistakes.

Why should any upward cost of living adjustment (that are never adjusted down, fyi) for anyone getting money from the government be automatic when those same adjustments aren't automatic for private sector employees, especially in a down economy?

Surely the government has a degree of responsibility toward those it employs.

I'm not sure that your "pay cuts for marines" rhetoric will play out too well.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby luns101 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Alright, I admit I can't adequately answer all your questions. You'll just have to accept that in my answer(s). My post will undoubtedly be biased as I'm in the conservative wing of the Republican party. I am a Bible-believing Christian as well, which I think transcends any allegiance to a political party. Oh yeah, and I still cheer for the Cubs so factor that into what you may call "blind faith". That being said, I'll attempt to give as much clarity as to what I want the party to be, and try to balance it with what I think it actually is.

bedub1 wrote:Is it the tea-party that wants to shrink government?

Partly. I believe that most of the tea party people have left the Republican party and become independents. They're tired of having to choose between entitlement spending increases (Dems) and small rates in spending reductions (Repubs). They're told by the GOP that if you elect us we'll cut spending, only seeing them cave in as soon as the mainstream media labels them as uncaring. Sure, there's a tea party element within the Republican party, but I think most of them are leaving, with a wait-and-see approach to see how much actual action they'll take in fulfilling campaign promises of less spending.

bedub1 wrote:Is it OWS that wants equality for the common man?

Definitely not. Even the moderate wing of the Republican party does not believe in dictated equality of results.

bedub1 wrote:Is it the religious right that wants the bible to be the constitution?

I object to the characterization unless you're willing to add the 'religious left' into the conversation. What most Bible-believing Christians want (if they're politically involved at all) is an adherence to natural law. We believe the Declaration of Independence outlines that in its basic 3 categories of God-given rights...life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. And no, we don't think that pursuit of happiness means being allowed to do whatever you want in whatever way you wish. American culture/society will never be perfect, but an adherence to the principle of natural law allows others who don't share my exact interpretation of the Scriptures to still be grateful that these rights are naturally given, and it's government's role to protect them. It also motivates others who don't share my exact Biblical Christian worldview to preserve/conserve that principle. The moderate wing is probably not interested in this issue, and most likely embarrassed to discuss it in the terms that I've used.

bedub1 wrote:Is it the bigots that wants to take away peoples rights?

This is so broad and biased how could anyone give a serious response to it? I'm assuming that you're referring to homosexual marriage or abortion. Your question also assumes that whoever the "bigots" are, that they are subject to your definition.

bedub1 wrote:Is it the ron pauls that want equal rights?

There's definitely a libertarian element that's more focused on American not being involved in foreign affairs any more than absolutely necessary as part of our national interest and/or defense. I disagree with them, but they are within the party. My personal belief is that it's more rooted in a cult of personality towards the man himself than what he stands for, but then I'm projecting my own bias into why they like him so much. Their main concern is stopping spending, and getting government out of the business of being a referee on social issues. Not all, but many.

bedub1 wrote:Is it the rmoney's that want to f*ck over the 99% to make the 1% richer?

I think all the different elements of the GOP would disagree and take issue with your premise on this. What I believe is that dictated equality of results can't be achieved is futile. What I don't like is having the top income earners demonized and automatically being labeled as hostile to 'the poor'. They pay more than their 'fair share' in helping society. I believe the best way to get more people off the government dole is to offer the incentive to keep more of what they earn through work. I believe that work is dignified and to be preferred over a perpetual position of dependency to the state [through entitlement programs]. The moderates and conservatives probably agree on this one. Example of what I believe is harmful to the human spirit through dependency.

bedub1 wrote:Is it the angry/scared people that wants to take over the world with a larger army?

I don't want to take over the world, and I think the moderate wing doesn't either. We have enough problems dealing with governing ourselves. Your question also assumes (argues from omniscience) that the motivation for wanting a strong military is based on fear. The best way to contain dictatorships and other types of ruthless regimes is to force them to think twice about attacking us or our allies through military force - not what I like, but it needs to be a reality that they'll suffer a military response if they attempt to intimidate. What I would like to see is peaceful world, but knowing my Bible and believing in its prophecies, I know that ultimately all human efforts at this will fail.

bedub1 wrote:Is it the NSA people who want to watch your every move?

Well maybe, there's a huge element of the Republican party that likes Sting & The Police. There's really no reconciling this between conservatives and liberals because they define interrogation techniques differently, and government's role in protecting vs. providing. Conservatives like myself probably see the NSA people like Jack Bauer, and the liberals probably see them as the govt. agents from V For Vendetta.

bedub1 wrote:Whatever happened to personal responsibility and compassion for your neighbor?

It's always been there. We (actually I, but you know what I'm saying) reject the left's general definition of both terms. Personally, I believe it is wrong to encourage class envy (and yes, I define this 'unfairness' charge as class envy) against those who are risking their capital to provide a good or service in the attempt to make profit. To me, true compassion is providing a temporary safety net for those needing help. Unfortunately, government entitlement programs have become too much of a breeding ground for perpetual dependency. It robs people of their God-given natural right to find dignity through earning profit and pursue the happiness of keeping the property that they've acquired through hard work.

I do think that the moderate wing of the Republican party would only partially agree with me on that point. They think that entitlement programs need to be run more proficiently and executed properly for them to work correctly.

That's the best you're going to get from me anyway. I had time to post, and most of the games I've watched on TV today are boring blowouts because the replacement refs are gone, unable to change the outcomes (teasing guys). It's been awhile since I really wrote anything anways. You should join us, Bedub. We're proud of our first nominee, Lincoln, and are making a major push for him to be included in the next Avengers movie since he's already been known to kill vampires. Any photoshop geniuses want to try to insert Lincoln in that group? Saxi?
Major luns101

Postby Night Strike on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:30 pm

Symmetry wrote:Surely the government has a degree of responsibility toward those it employs.

It also provides those adjustments to people who live off the government without working for the government. And either way, you still didn't address my point: the government gets all its money from the private sector (or through debt), so if the private sector isn't providing cost of living adjustments, why is the government automatically doing so?
Major Night Strike

Postby Symmetry on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Surely the government has a degree of responsibility toward those it employs.

It also provides those adjustments to people who live off the government without working for the government. And either way, you still didn't address my point: the government gets all its money from the private sector (or through debt), so if the private sector isn't providing cost of living adjustments, why is the government automatically doing so?

Source your claims. I'd like proof that the private sector doesn't provide cost of living adjustments, and that the government gets all its money from the private sector (or through debt).

You're getting increasingly ridiculous, so I hope it's time to ask you to back some of your claims up.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:46 pm

What is the Republican Party? Well, here's what they used to be:
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=25838

How the mighty have fallen. <sigh>

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:51 pm

john9blue wrote:

Didn't you, just a few posts ago before I proved you wrong, claim that you didn't say that I didn't know about this issue? And now you're saying it again?

john9blue wrote:why would i be debating you on the "issue" of COL for veterans if i agreed with you on that issue? doesn't make sense.

As far as I've seen, you neither agree nor disagree with me on this issue. I don't believe I've seen you take a stance. All you've done is yell "You don't know what you're talking about" several times, apparently because I didn't know the gender of a particular Senator.

john9blue wrote:it's interesting watching you weasel your way out of situations in which your ignorance has been exposed.

The only "ignorance that's been exposed" is that I didn't know the gender of a particular Senator, which I HAVE REPEATEDLY ADMITTED MYSELF. As far as the actual ISSUE HERE, I have had no ignorance exposed. What has been exposed is your desire to go down in flames while attempting to hang your hat on something that doesn't affect the issue itself in any way at all.

john9blue wrote:i would have more respect for you if you were able to admit when you were clearly and undeniably wrong. but once again you took the low road and got exposed as a child who can't admit his mistakes.

You mean like you're doing in this thread? Thanks, Mr Moderate.

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:51 pm

Night Strike wrote:Why should any upward cost of living adjustment (that are never adjusted down, fyi) for anyone getting money from the government be automatic when those same adjustments aren't automatic for private sector employees, especially in a down economy?

So you don't believe that the US Government should stand by the promises they make to military veterans? That'd make a hell of a recruiting slogan.

Postby Night Strike on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:01 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

Source your claims. I'd like proof that the private sector doesn't provide cost of living adjustments, and that the government gets all its money from the private sector (or through debt).

You're getting increasingly ridiculous, so I hope it's time to ask you to back some of your claims up.

Just doing a quick search shows
In the private sector, contracts with cost-of-living raises have been disappearing over the past several decades. The reasons include the low level of annual inflation, the waning power of unions, and employees' focus on other benefits, like health insurance.

The pay raises companies offer today are more likely to depend on productivity and profitability than on the level of inflation. Employers want to avoid automatic pay increases. They would rather give a one-time bonus to counteract a year of higher inflation than be stuck with permanent increases.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/business/professional-development/cost-of-living-raises1.htm

As for how the government gets money: they get it from the private sector or from debt (printing). There is no other way for the government to get money because they do not create wealth. It's the simple fact of how governments work (unless they're completely Communist and control all the means of production within the country).
Major Night Strike

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:06 pm

Night Strike wrote:Why should any upward cost of living adjustment (that are never adjusted down, fyi) for anyone getting money from the government be automatic when those same adjustments aren't automatic for private sector employees, especially in a down economy?

So you don't believe that the US Government should stand by the promises they make to military veterans? That'd make a hell of a recruiting slogan.

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,