Why do you hate bicyclists?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

I hate bicyclists because

They ride on the sidewalk
7
8%
They obstruct vehicle traffic
9
10%
They run stop signs
11
12%
They run stop lights
10
11%
They weave in and out of traffic
9
10%
They illegally pass stopped cars and jump to the front of the line
8
9%
They are oblivious to the world around them
9
10%
They ride the wrong way on one-way streets
8
9%
They don't pay taxes to maintain the road
4
4%
They aren't licensed
6
6%
They aren't insured
5
5%
The ride erratically, swerving into traffic without checking other vehicles around them.
7
8%
 
Total votes : 93

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:49 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:They obstruct vehicle traffic
By riding on the road where we're suppose to? For one who complains about people not following laws, in this instance, you conveniently withhold the complaint for following the law. Derp derp derp!


You need to drive on the side of the road. Not in a car lane. Not in the middle of the road. Until riders ride on the side of the road rather than the middle, I will continue to complain.


And if there's no side of the road? Then what?

Riding on sidewalks is dangerous for pedestrians and dangerous for bicycles when using 'pedestrian' walkways at intersections.


And I'll drive in the middle of a lane in areas where people park their cars and frequently open their doors without looking. You seem to imply that I should sacrifice my health so that you can arrive to work about 1 minute earlier. That perspective is cruel, selfish, and dumb. Hopefully, that's not your perspective, but demanding that bicyclists ride in area X ignores the risks which bicyclists may incur in area X. Other risks include running over debris (which is common in the shoulder on roads), and there's problems of people stepping to quickly into the street from the sidewalk without looking, etc.

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:They run stop signs
If there's no one coming, then it's inefficient to stop for no one, and then go. If there's someone coming, but you're way closer to the stop sign then he is, then it makes sense to go. Otherwise, you'd have to stop, then he stops, then you go. That would be pointless.


The first part "[i]f there's no one coming" seems to be important. How does a cyclist determine if no one is coming? By looking both ways, right? How does a cyclist look both ways when he/she zooms through the stop sign or stop light?


If you ever rode a bike, you'd realize that going 10-15mph while being 2 feet from the front of your vehicle makes a huge difference in being able to look around corners and respond accordingly. Therefore, your questions are leading yourself to an imagined scenario. Of course, some bicyclists zoom through with little regard to the "who got there first" order, but in that case, it would be wrong of the bicyclist.

In my informal rules, timing of arrival to stop signs and stop times matter. Of course, that isn't worth expanding on ITT, but it all operates as I view each situation. Granted, there are some bicyclists who roll through stop signs when cars arrived first at the sign. That would be wrong. In circumstances where the bicyclist would arrive first or would have to stop first, then it's correct for him or her to roll through the stop sign.


thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:They weave in and out of traffic
Yeah, if the cars are going slow, I'll pass you up. Sorry if you're jealous.


Define slow. Is 25 mph slow? How about 15 mph?


I dunno, TGD. On the flat streets, I can get up to 25mph (maybe 30?), but that's pushing it for me. Usually in heavily congested areas, cars are going about 10-15, which is a speed I can easily push through and weave in and out of traffic. Somehow that's wrong? No, it isn't. I'm not posing a threat to anyone, and I know how to change lanes while incurring minimal risks to my own life.

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:They are oblivious to the world around them
Some are, most aren't; otherwise, they'd get hit and significantly hurt. If you're surrounded in a frame of steel, how much do you fear being hit--compared to a bicyclist?


I fear hitting


Good for you, but don't you think bedub's characterization of all bicyclists is pretty absurd?

I've noticed that when people are surrounded in a frame of steel, they tend to be more likely to be oblivious, e.g. changing CDs or radio stations, texting, talking on phone, fiddling with their seats/electronics, looking at the GPS, singing, etc.



I guess you had no problem with the other ones?
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4663
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:51 pm

keiths31 wrote:Roads weren't designed to handle both cars/trucks and bikes. My city has put in bike lanes, but not by winding the roads, but squeezing them in. I am nervous as hell driving by a person on a bike as there is not much room. They lose control or swerve in front of me by accident...my van wins. I do agree though that many cyclists ignore many rules of the road with no repercussions. Motorists blows a red light, they get a ticket. Cyclists blows one, it is accepted. Cyclists argue they deserve their share of the road, and I agree that they do, but they also need to follow the rules of the road.


When the rules impose wasteful and unnecessary restrictions on me and provide no benefit to others, then I'll disregard them and create my own rules.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4663
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:04 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:And if there's no side of the road? Then what?

Riding on sidewalks is dangerous for pedestrians and dangerous for bicycles when using 'pedestrian' walkways at intersections.


And I'll drive in the middle of a lane in areas where people park their cars and frequently open their doors without looking. You seem to imply that I should sacrifice my health so that you can arrive to work about 1 minute earlier. That perspective is cruel, selfish, and dumb. Hopefully, that's not your perspective, but demanding that bicyclists ride in area X ignores the risks which bicyclists may incur in area X. Other risks include running over debris (which is common in the shoulder on roads), and there's problems of people stepping to quickly into the street from the sidewalk without looking, etc.


I did not indicate there was no side of the road. There most certainly are sides of the road, at least where I drive in Philadelphia. I can't say the same for whever you ride your unmotorized death vehicle. I'm certainly not suggesting you sacrifice your health so that I can arrive to work (or home) approximately 5 minutes earlier. I didn't force you to ride a bicycle. I also didn't force you to ride your bike in the middle of a car lane when there are perfectly good sides of the road. Perhaps if you weren't in such a hurry to get to the next emo concert or home from your art class, you would pull the cuffs of your skinny jeans up and ride on the side of the road.

BigBallinStalin wrote:If you ever rode a bike, you'd realize that going 10-15mph while being 2 feet from the front of your vehicle makes a huge difference in being able to look around corners and respond accordingly. Therefore, your questions are leading yourself to an imagined scenario. Of course, some bicyclists zoom through with little regard to the "who got there first" order, but in that case, it would be wrong of the bicyclist.

In my informal rules, timing of arrival to stop signs and stop times matter. Of course, that isn't worth expanding on ITT, but it all operates as I view each situation. Granted, there are some bicyclists who roll through stop signs when cars arrived first at the sign. That would be wrong. In circumstances where the bicyclist would arrive first or would have to stop first, then it's correct for him or her to roll through the stop sign.


Why would I have an issue with a cyclist rolling through a stop sign or stop light when it's safe or when there is no one there first? That would be weird. I envision (really, I saw one of these today) the following two scenarios:

Scenario One: Traffic light on a busy intersection in a major metropolitan area. The light for the northbound lane turns green. The light for the westbound lane is red. The vehicle traffic begins to drive northbound, obeying all traffic laws. A bike travelling westbound rides through the red light it has and causes all cars travelling northbound to stop suddenly, nearly causing an accident. It happens regularly and it happened today.

Scenario Two: Stop sign on a not busy intersection in a major metropolitan area. A car arrives at the stop sign, stops, the driver looks both ways, and then proceeds into the intersection. A bike blows by, nearly causing the driver to crash into it.

BigBallinStalin wrote:I dunno, TGD. On the flat streets, I can get up to 25mph (maybe 30?), but that's pushing it for me. Usually in heavily congested areas, cars are going about 10-15, which is a speed I can easily push through and weave in and out of traffic. Somehow that's wrong? No, it isn't. I'm not posing a threat to anyone, and I know how to change lanes while incurring minimal risks to my own life.


You may not be posing a threat of physical harm to someone, but you're certianly threatening drivers. This happened last week - One way, two lane road in a major metrpolitan area. Traffic light turns green and traffic begins moving north. I go to switch lanes (from left lane to right lane) and a bike weaves around me to my right such that I almost hit the cyclist. What if I had hit the cyclist? No physical harm to me, right? But there may be harm to my property (car) and to my livelihood (law suit, court proceedings). Wait with the rest of us or assume the risk and lose in court.

BigBallinStalin wrote:Good for you, but don't you think bedub's characterization of all bicyclists is pretty absurd?

I've noticed that when people are surrounded in a frame of steel, they tend to be more likely to be oblivious, e.g. changing CDs or radio stations, texting, talking on phone, fiddling with their seats/electronics, looking at the GPS, singing, etc.


I have a major problem with drivers such as these as well. I'm one of those very pleasant individuals who honks the horn repeatedly when I find someone talking on their cell phone. But this thread is about cyclists, not drivers. Why don't you create a thread about the annoying habits of drivers?

I only have my personal experience to rely upon with respect to cyclists. I would like to say that most cyclists obey traffic laws and use the roads courteously. But in my experience, 9 out of 10 don't obey traffic laws and use the roads irresponsibly. I have witnessed two accidents with cyclists in seven years working in a major metropolitan area. I have witnessed numerous near accidents with cyclists in those seven years (possibly hundreds). In all cases, the cyclist was at fault for not obeying traffic laws and not using the road responsibly.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby Timminz on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:06 pm

I runned over 3 bicyclists this week. Fuckers acted like they was cars, but they didn't handle a bumper-nudge like one.
jay_a2j wrote:lets not be so quick to judge Hitler
User avatar
Captain Timminz
 
Posts: 5570
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:05 pm
Location: At the store
Medals: 56
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Am I allowed to post since I ride a bicycle frequently and there is no "non hater" option?
When I am driving I get irritated by cyclists who ride like they are driving a car in the road as they can't effectively take part in the regular flow of traffic and create a dangerous situation. For this reason when I ride my bike I get either in the breakdown lane or off the road when a car is passing me. I only ride on the sidewalk when it's empty and traffic makes riding in the road dangerous. As far as obeying stop signs, I agree that the worst that is going to happen is the cyclist is going to get him or herself killed. Riding your bike is a calculated risk but I like to reduce that risk as much as possible.
I actually had a high school friend who struck and killed a priest who was riding his moped in the city. My friend, while feeling rather guilty, was cleared of all charges since it was undeniably the priest's fault for not obeying traffic rules.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:27 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:And if there's no side of the road? Then what?

Riding on sidewalks is dangerous for pedestrians and dangerous for bicycles when using 'pedestrian' walkways at intersections.


And I'll drive in the middle of a lane in areas where people park their cars and frequently open their doors without looking. You seem to imply that I should sacrifice my health so that you can arrive to work about 1 minute earlier. That perspective is cruel, selfish, and dumb. Hopefully, that's not your perspective, but demanding that bicyclists ride in area X ignores the risks which bicyclists may incur in area X. Other risks include running over debris (which is common in the shoulder on roads), and there's problems of people stepping to quickly into the street from the sidewalk without looking, etc.


I did not indicate there was no side of the road. There most certainly are sides of the road, at least where I drive in Philadelphia. I can't say the same for whever you ride your unmotorized death vehicle. I'm certainly not suggesting you sacrifice your health so that I can arrive to work (or home) approximately 5 minutes earlier. I didn't force you to ride a bicycle. I also didn't force you to ride your bike in the middle of a car lane when there are perfectly good sides of the road. Perhaps if you weren't in such a hurry to get to the next emo concert or home from your art class, you would pull the cuffs of your skinny jeans up and ride on the side of the road.


And I likewise am unaware of the intricate problems you face with bicyclists in Philadelphia. Please note that I don't take kindly upon a large number of bicyclists because they drive like idiots, but so do many motorists, so there's that for you. Nevertheless, I won't risk injury or death in order to please some motorist by not riding in the middle of the road intermittently.

Sure, riding my bike is my choice, just as driving your car is your choice; however, we both have a right to most roads, so you can just... deal with it.jpg

My concern is that there's many motorists such as yourself who have no idea of the risks which bicyclists face. This lack of knowing the other fails to deter such motorists from demanding that bicyclists do stupid things. Call it an unintended consequence which you're hopefully aware of by now.

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:If you ever rode a bike, you'd realize that going 10-15mph while being 2 feet from the front of your vehicle makes a huge difference in being able to look around corners and respond accordingly. Therefore, your questions are leading yourself to an imagined scenario. Of course, some bicyclists zoom through with little regard to the "who got there first" order, but in that case, it would be wrong of the bicyclist.

In my informal rules, timing of arrival to stop signs and stop times matter. Of course, that isn't worth expanding on ITT, but it all operates as I view each situation. Granted, there are some bicyclists who roll through stop signs when cars arrived first at the sign. That would be wrong. In circumstances where the bicyclist would arrive first or would have to stop first, then it's correct for him or her to roll through the stop sign.


Why would I have an issue with a cyclist rolling through a stop sign or stop light when it's safe or when there is no one there first? That would be weird. I envision (really, I saw one of these today) the following two scenarios:

Scenario One: Traffic light on a busy intersection in a major metropolitan area. The light for the northbound lane turns green. The light for the westbound lane is red. The vehicle traffic begins to drive northbound, obeying all traffic laws. A bike travelling westbound rides through the red light it has and causes all cars travelling northbound to stop suddenly, nearly causing an accident. It happens regularly and it happened today.


Yeah that bicyclist is an asshole.

thegreekdog wrote:Scenario Two: Stop sign on a not busy intersection in a major metropolitan area. A car arrives at the stop sign, stops, the driver looks both ways, and then proceeds into the intersection. A bike blows by, nearly causing the driver to crash into it.


And that bicyclist is an asshole.

Obviously, we're in agreement here.

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:I dunno, TGD. On the flat streets, I can get up to 25mph (maybe 30?), but that's pushing it for me. Usually in heavily congested areas, cars are going about 10-15, which is a speed I can easily push through and weave in and out of traffic. Somehow that's wrong? No, it isn't. I'm not posing a threat to anyone, and I know how to change lanes while incurring minimal risks to my own life.


You may not be posing a threat of physical harm to someone, but you're certianly threatening drivers. This happened last week - One way, two lane road in a major metrpolitan area. Traffic light turns green and traffic begins moving north. I go to switch lanes (from left lane to right lane) and a bike weaves around me to my right such that I almost hit the cyclist. What if I had hit the cyclist? No physical harm to me, right? But there may be harm to my property (car) and to my livelihood (law suit, court proceedings). Wait with the rest of us or assume the risk and lose in court.


So switching lanes without being perceptive enough is your right? Because that's what seems to be your case here.

While I'm moving through traffic, if the motorist pays attention to their side view mirrors, they should see me. At higher speeds, I hardly swerve around cars and come up right alongside them... maybe the bicyclist was switching behind you--starting from your left side and moving toward your right side--and came up right alongside you?

If that was the case, then that was an unnecessarily risky move for the bicyclist, and so I understand your concern here.

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Good for you, but don't you think bedub's characterization of all bicyclists is pretty absurd?

I've noticed that when people are surrounded in a frame of steel, they tend to be more likely to be oblivious, e.g. changing CDs or radio stations, texting, talking on phone, fiddling with their seats/electronics, looking at the GPS, singing, etc.


I have a major problem with drivers such as these as well. I'm one of those very pleasant individuals who honks the horn repeatedly when I find someone talking on their cell phone. But this thread is about cyclists, not drivers. Why don't you create a thread about the annoying habits of drivers?


I only mention it in regard to bedub's silly comment. Comparing the risks of oblivion seemed useful.

thegreekdog wrote:I only have my personal experience to rely upon with respect to cyclists. I would like to say that most cyclists obey traffic laws and use the roads courteously. But in my experience, 9 out of 10 don't obey traffic laws and use the roads irresponsibly. I have witnessed two accidents with cyclists in seven years working in a major metropolitan area. I have witnessed numerous near accidents with cyclists in those seven years (possibly hundreds). In all cases, the cyclist was at fault for not obeying traffic laws and not using the road responsibly.


Haha, live and learn, I guess. If some bicyclist is driving like an idiot and gets nailed, then I feel bad for the driver for being put through that situation. For the bicyclist, I don't feel much empathy. They get punished for making poor decisions.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4663
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 pm

I think partly what may be going on here is that those people who hate bicyclists are in fact envious of the cyclists. Here they are riding to their dead end jobs in their stinky cars listening to political talk shows(they're already annoyed). The cyclists, on the other hand, are enjoying the fresh air with the wind in their hair, happy as clams in the sand.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby fadedpsychosis on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:26 am

bedub1 wrote:
fadedpsychosis wrote:you think bicycles are bad? try mopeds in F'ing naples! try all of the above, but add in the law that if you hit them and they're wearing a helmet you're at fault regardless of how they're driving... oh, and the locals learn to drive on their mopeds... so they drive their cars the EXACT SAME WAY. stop lights/signs and street lines are an illusion here my friend

That sounds terrible.

driving in naples is absolutely terrifying for me to be honest... it's why I've started carpooling as much as possible. I don't mind paying for someone else's gas if I'm not the one driving
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
User avatar
Private fadedpsychosis
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:12 pm
Location: global

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby deathcomesrippin on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:12 pm

I dont ever post in these forums, but I feel strongly about bikers.

I mainly hate bikers because biking looks stupid. No one looks good biking except hot chicks who already look good. It's goofy, people wear goofy clothes, and the gear looks goofy too. That's all I have to say on the matter. I don't drive and I don't bike, so I have no opinion on that part of it. Bikers just look stupid.
User avatar
Captain deathcomesrippin
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:26 am
Location: Canada
Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10) General Contribution (7)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby maxfaraday on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:18 pm

deathcomesrippin wrote:I dont ever post in these forums, but I feel strongly about bikers.

I mainly hate bikers because biking looks stupid. No one looks good biking except hot chicks who already look good. It's goofy, people wear goofy clothes, and the gear looks goofy too. That's all I have to say on the matter. I don't drive and I don't bike, so I have no opinion on that part of it. Bikers just look stupid.


Foed.
From: Karl_R_Kroenen
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:48 am
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby deathcomesrippin on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:21 pm

maxfaraday wrote:
deathcomesrippin wrote:I dont ever post in these forums, but I feel strongly about bikers.

I mainly hate bikers because biking looks stupid. No one looks good biking except hot chicks who already look good. It's goofy, people wear goofy clothes, and the gear looks goofy too. That's all I have to say on the matter. I don't drive and I don't bike, so I have no opinion on that part of it. Bikers just look stupid.


Foed.


Damn shame.
User avatar
Captain deathcomesrippin
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:26 am
Location: Canada
Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10) General Contribution (7)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:22 pm

deathcomesrippin wrote:I dont ever post in these forums, but I feel strongly about bikers.

I mainly hate bikers because biking looks stupid. No one looks good biking except hot chicks who already look good. It's goofy, people wear goofy clothes, and the gear looks goofy too. That's all I have to say on the matter. I don't drive and I don't bike, so I have no opinion on that part of it. Bikers just look stupid.


Symmetry wrote:Because they're too awesome?





Shamelessly reposted.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby deathcomesrippin on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:26 pm

Symmetry wrote:
deathcomesrippin wrote:I dont ever post in these forums, but I feel strongly about bikers.

I mainly hate bikers because biking looks stupid. No one looks good biking except hot chicks who already look good. It's goofy, people wear goofy clothes, and the gear looks goofy too. That's all I have to say on the matter. I don't drive and I don't bike, so I have no opinion on that part of it. Bikers just look stupid.


Symmetry wrote:Because they're too awesome?





Shamelessly reposted.


Those guys don't look so bad I suppose. But, on the whole, most bikers you see cruising the streets are not doing that.
User avatar
Captain deathcomesrippin
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:26 am
Location: Canada
Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10) General Contribution (7)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:31 pm

deathcomesrippin wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
deathcomesrippin wrote:I dont ever post in these forums, but I feel strongly about bikers.

I mainly hate bikers because biking looks stupid. No one looks good biking except hot chicks who already look good. It's goofy, people wear goofy clothes, and the gear looks goofy too. That's all I have to say on the matter. I don't drive and I don't bike, so I have no opinion on that part of it. Bikers just look stupid.


Symmetry wrote:Because they're too awesome?





Shamelessly reposted.


Those guys don't look so bad I suppose. But, on the whole, most bikers you see cruising the streets are not doing that.


I would hope not.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:47 pm

deathcomesrippin wrote:I dont ever post in these forums, but I feel strongly about bikers.

I mainly hate bikers because biking looks stupid. No one looks good biking except hot chicks who already look good. It's goofy, people wear goofy clothes, and the gear looks goofy too. That's all I have to say on the matter. I don't drive and I don't bike, so I have no opinion on that part of it. Bikers just look stupid.


This is sooo not true..
I bike either in my street clothes or in the nude. I don't believe in all that fancy gear, It cramps my style (wheelies, standing on my seat no hands, riding backwards, etc.).
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby Doc_Brown on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:44 pm

A couple comments:
1) In a fair number of jurisdictions, bicycles are permitted to treat stop signs the same as motor vehicles treat yield signs, and stop lights as stop signs (the later is particularly common since bicycles often aren't heavy enough to trigger the light to change).
2) Bicycles on sidewalks are expected to behave the same as foot traffic, and those on roads are treated as motor vehicle traffic.
3) I will never ride my bike on a sidewalk. It's far more dangerous than riding on the road. The problem is that vehicle drivers don't look for traffic coming down the sidewalks and will only look at the roads. I've been nearly hit several times by drivers pulling into or out of businesses that weren't looking at the sidewalks.
4) By law, bicycles on a roadway without a bike lane are required to ride as close to the right hand edge of the road as is practical. Most cyclists ride approximately in the right-hand tire track from vehicles. Bicycles are permitted to "take the lane" if necessary. I will often slide over to the middle of the lane if I need to make myself more visible, or if someone looks like they're about to pass me as we're going up a hill (I've had cars try to pass me on the way up a hill, only to have another car come the opposite way in the other lane, so they swerve and run me off the road). When I know it's safe to pass me, I'll usually slide well over the right and wave cars by.
5) I think it's a great idea to tax cyclists. Let's tax them in relative terms to automobiles based on how much pollution they produce, how much wear and tear they put on the roads, the amount of mileage they travel, and how much damage stupid cyclists cause to roadways and other vehicles. (Note also that bike lanes and bike paths are usually paid for by property taxes. Also, the vast majority of cyclists also have drivers licenses and cars and pay those taxes.)
6) There are definitely idiot cyclists. The majority of the ones I'm aware of are in urban areas in larger cities, and they're often bicycle couriers. They should be subject to ticketing the same as motor vehicles, and they typically are (I've known cyclists to receive tickets before).
7) Stories of idiot cyclists have been mentioned on here. I could tell story after story of idiot drivers that tried to inflict physical injury on me while I was out riding. Just to clarify, I avoid high traffic roads as much as possible and stick to back roads. Still, I've had people drive past with a guy in the passenger side hanging out trying to kick me as they passed. I've been hit in the back with soft drink cups. I've had people drive slowly by screaming at me. The majority of bike-vehicle accidents I'm aware of result in hit-and-runs (and obviously it isn't the cyclist lying in his blood on the side of the road that's running).
User avatar
Colonel Doc_Brown
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:06 pm
Location: Alabama
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (4) Training Achievement (2)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby Timminz on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:30 pm

Most bicyclists are fine: they obey the rules, and don't cause trouble. There is a minority of them though, who I'm worried I'm going to kill someday, because they do stupid shit like pulling from behind something straight to in front of me while I'm travelling at full-speed, and barely have time to stop before running them the fuck over.

Anyway yeah. Most are great, some are idiot assholes. Same as drivers. Same as pedestrians. Same as almost every group of people.
jay_a2j wrote:lets not be so quick to judge Hitler
User avatar
Captain Timminz
 
Posts: 5570
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:05 pm
Location: At the store
Medals: 56
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby notyou2 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Almost every complaint about cyclists could be said about cars and drivers as well. Timmy is right, it is not the transportation mode that is the problem, it is the operator.
Image
User avatar
Captain notyou2
 
Posts: 3216
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:09 am
Location: In the here and now
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (1)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby nietzsche on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:45 pm

If we had electronics doing the driving, we could change our vehicles already. With crashes being a thing of the past, cars won't need to be 1 ton of steel. They could be gracious bubbles of plastic and we could play CC games while we arrive.
Last edited by nietzsche on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
betiko wrote:it really hurt. I learned a few years later that I was doing it wrong, i was inserting them in my anus

DoomYoshi wrote:ffs nietzche, sitting in the library at school and bam - vaginas all over the screen

betiko wrote:Saxi, you have rotten balls necrosing your sack.
User avatar
Major nietzsche
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Fantasy Cooperstown
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby notyou2 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:13 pm

nietzsche wrote:If we had electronics doing the driving, we could change our vehicles already. We crashes being a thing of the past, cars won't need to be 1 ton of steel. They could be gracious bubbles of plastic and we could play CC games while we arrive.
Sneak back in to California again, They are testing driver-less cars there now.
Image
User avatar
Captain notyou2
 
Posts: 3216
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:09 am
Location: In the here and now
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (1)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby nietzsche on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:17 pm

notyou2 wrote:
nietzsche wrote:If we had electronics doing the driving, we could change our vehicles already. We crashes being a thing of the past, cars won't need to be 1 ton of steel. They could be gracious bubbles of plastic and we could play CC games while we arrive.
Sneak back in to California again, They are testing driver-less cars there now.


Why would you change my post so it looks like I made a grammar mistake?
betiko wrote:it really hurt. I learned a few years later that I was doing it wrong, i was inserting them in my anus

DoomYoshi wrote:ffs nietzche, sitting in the library at school and bam - vaginas all over the screen

betiko wrote:Saxi, you have rotten balls necrosing your sack.
User avatar
Major nietzsche
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Fantasy Cooperstown
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby notyou2 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:35 pm

nietzsche wrote:
notyou2 wrote:
nietzsche wrote:If we had electronics doing the driving, we could change our vehicles already. We crashes being a thing of the past, cars won't need to be 1 ton of steel. They could be gracious bubbles of plastic and we could play CC games while we arrive.
Sneak back in to California again, They are testing driver-less cars there now.


Why would you change my post so it looks like I made a grammar mistake?


I did not change "with" to "we". I had to search out what you were referring to. It must be some sort of CC auto-correct.
Image
User avatar
Captain notyou2
 
Posts: 3216
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:09 am
Location: In the here and now
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (1)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby nietzsche on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:49 pm

notyou2 wrote:
nietzsche wrote:
notyou2 wrote:
nietzsche wrote:If we had electronics doing the driving, we could change our vehicles already. We crashes being a thing of the past, cars won't need to be 1 ton of steel. They could be gracious bubbles of plastic and we could play CC games while we arrive.
Sneak back in to California again, They are testing driver-less cars there now.


Why would you change my post so it looks like I made a grammar mistake?


I did not change "with" to "we". I had to search out what you were referring to. It must be some sort of CC auto-correct.



:lol: :lol: :lol:
betiko wrote:it really hurt. I learned a few years later that I was doing it wrong, i was inserting them in my anus

DoomYoshi wrote:ffs nietzche, sitting in the library at school and bam - vaginas all over the screen

betiko wrote:Saxi, you have rotten balls necrosing your sack.
User avatar
Major nietzsche
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Fantasy Cooperstown
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby notyou2 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:56 pm

nietzsche wrote:
notyou2 wrote:
nietzsche wrote:
notyou2 wrote:
nietzsche wrote:If we had electronics doing the driving, we could change our vehicles already. We crashes being a thing of the past, cars won't need to be 1 ton of steel. They could be gracious bubbles of plastic and we could play CC games while we arrive.
Sneak back in to California again, They are testing driver-less cars there now.


Why would you change my post so it looks like I made a grammar mistake?


I did not change "with" to "we". I had to search out what you were referring to. It must be some sort of CC auto-correct.



:lol: :lol: :lol:


Perhaps the cyber spirit of BBS did it from cyberspace.
Image
User avatar
Captain notyou2
 
Posts: 3216
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:09 am
Location: In the here and now
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (1)

Re: Why do you hate bicyclists?

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:50 pm

People ignore the very real problem here, that bicyclists hate car drivers more
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
User avatar
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 2342
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 94
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login