Conquer Club

Father Shoots/Kills Masked Son

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Father Shoots/Kills Masked Son

Postby keiths31 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:24 am

Not sure how this story hasn't shown up in the forum yet.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/united-states/120928/father-shoots-and-kills-his-15-year-old-son-duri

Feel bad for the family...but what was his kid doing?
Corporal 1st Class keiths31

Re: Father Shoots/Kills Masked Son

Postby 72o on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:55 pm

Something he shouldn't have been, obviously.
Sergeant 72o

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:58 pm

Shoot first, ask questions later?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Woodruff on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:06 pm

keiths31 wrote:Not sure how this story hasn't shown up in the forum yet.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/united-states/120928/father-shoots-and-kills-his-15-year-old-son-duri

Damn, that sucks.

Hard to put too much blame on the dad here. Maybe the fact that he left the house with his weapon, but other than that...just a fucked-up set of coincidences. I didn't see where they figured out what the "shiny object" might have been...has that come out?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:27 pm

Woodruff wrote:

Damn, that sucks.

Hard to put too much blame on the dad here. Maybe the fact that he left the house with his weapon, but other than that...just a fucked-up set of coincidences. I didn't see where they figured out what the "shiny object" might have been...has that come out?

So you don't think that shooting and killing your own son might involve some trigger-happiness?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Woodruff on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Damn, that sucks.

So you don't think that shooting and killing your own son might involve some trigger-happiness?

Might? Well sure...but "might" is a pretty wide-open target. But not necessarily, no. Sometimes, you have to make decisions based on the information you have at the time. Sometimes, you find out that the information you had at the time was very faulty, but unfortunately, we don't have time-machines to go back with 20-20 vision on our actions and their results.

Having been in situations where I have had to make split-second decisions in order to protect myself (the father certainly appears to have felt he had to protect himself) gives me the perspective to recognize that "being trigger happy" is not at all the same as "making the wrong decision at the time".
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:48 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Damn, that sucks.

Might? Well sure...but "might" is a pretty wide-open target. But not necessarily, no. Sometimes, you have to make decisions based on the information you have at the time. Sometimes, you find out that the information you had at the time was very faulty, but unfortunately, we don't have time-machines to go back with 20-20 vision on our actions and their results.

Having been in situations where I have had to make split-second decisions in order to protect myself (the father certainly appears to have felt he had to protect himself) gives me the perspective to recognize that "being trigger happy" is not at all the same as "making the wrong decision at the time".

Sounds like he was protecting his personal property, not himself.
Last edited by Funkyterrance on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Woodruff on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:49 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Damn, that sucks.

Sounds like he was protecting his personal property, not himself.

In leaving his house, perhaps (though I think it can be argued he also had his neighbors in mind). However, that changed quickly upon seeing someone with a mask on that appeared to be carrying a weapon. At that point, there's no question that it changed to "protecting himself".

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:00 pm

You know what Woodruff, I can say that under the same circumstances I might do the exact same thing the man did, depending on where I lived. I think I would forever wonder why I didn't shout something out first though, just to make sure I wasn't making a BIG mistake.
You have to admit though it sounds a little fishy. The guy was close enough to see a "shiny object" in the kids hand at 1AM but he didn't recognize the kid or realize he was dealing with someone who was basically a child? Something's not right here. I don't think there was a "shiny object", tbh. If there was no shiny object would you still feel the same about the outcome?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Woodruff on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:26 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:You know what Woodruff, I can say that under the same circumstances I might do the exact same thing the man did, depending on where I lived. I think I would forever wonder why I didn't shout something out first though, just to make sure I wasn't making a BIG mistake.

Shouting out WOULD BE, in and of itself, "a big mistake" in most cases, in my opinion.

Funkyterrance wrote:You have to admit though it sounds a little fishy.

Granted, I'm only going by what's in the article, but it honestly doesn't, to me.

Funkyterrance wrote:The guy was close enough to see a "shiny object" in the kids hand at 1AM but he didn't recognize the kid or realize he was dealing with someone who was basically a child?

It doesn't talk about the kid's size, but he was 15...which means he could be any size between "pretty small" and "definitely adult-sized". So no, I definitely don't believe he should be expected to realize the kid was "basically a child", necessarily. As to recognizing the kid...he had a freaking mask on...short of words being spoken, how is he going to recognize him in the dark?

As to the shiny object, it could easily be seen at a distance if light (even from the moon) happened to hit it just right.

Funkyterrance wrote:Something's not right here. I don't think there was a "shiny object", tbh.

What leads you to believe that the father didn't think he saw a "shiny object"? Just pure suspicion?

Funkyterrance wrote:If there was no shiny object would you still feel the same about the outcome?

If the father didn't believe he saw something that could have been a weapon, of course that changes things drastically. Why wouldn't it?

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:04 pm

Woodruff, this one is yours. You beat me. *feigns getting shot*
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:36 pm

looks like the father raised his kid well at least...
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby / on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:38 pm

All burglars were born as sons or daughters to someone.
If the facts as presented are true, I do not see the event in question as being any more “wrong” than killing a stranger under the same conditions, not that I can say for sure if it's "Right or Wrong" either way.

One thing though, the kid was out in the driveway, unless you think he's a trained assassin; locking the doors and calling the police should be enough, it seems a bit odd to call a neighboring family member to go out with a gun.
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:38 am

Just want to say this is why many municipalities require that squirt guns and toy guns don't look like real guns. (I realize that was not the exact situtation here)
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:16 am

Funkyterrance wrote:Woodruff, this one is yours. You beat me. *feigns getting shot*

Well you shouldn't have been carrying that shiny object.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby 72o on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:47 am

jonesthecurl wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Woodruff, this one is yours. You beat me. *feigns getting shot*

And wearing a mask, and sneaking around houses in the middle of the night.
Sergeant 72o

Postby Woodruff on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:37 am

/ wrote:One thing though, the kid was out in the driveway, unless you think he's a trained assassin; locking the doors and calling the police should be enough, it seems a bit odd to call a neighboring family member to go out with a gun.

I definitely agree with this.

Postby Baron Von PWN on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:50 pm

unintended consequence of high levels of gun ownership?

If he didn't have a gun and just shone a light or yelled at him, maybe the kid would have run away.

Seems like another example of "home defense" going wrong.
Sergeant 1st Class Baron Von PWN

Postby 2dimes on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Woodruff wrote:
/ wrote:One thing though, the kid was out in the driveway, unless you think he's a trained assassin; locking the doors and calling the police should be enough, it seems a bit odd to call a neighboring family member to go out with a gun.

I definitely agree with this.

The only question here is, how long do the police take to respond there?

I would recommend an extremely bright weapon mounted flood light on a multi round shot gun if you're going to go out in the dark to play with intruders.

Good luck shooting me once I turn on my light and bleach out your rods and cones. Shot gun sucks for killing guys but you can tell them to, "Lay down with your hands behind your head unless you want more BBs." while you wait for those cops you phoned.

Get night vision glasses, close you eyes when you shine the bright light at his eyes for a few seconds then switch back and open your eyes if you really want the upper hand.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:13 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:

:lol:
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby MeDeFe on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:55 pm

Baron Von PWN wrote:unintended consequence of high levels of gun ownership?

If he didn't have a gun and just shone a light or yelled at him, maybe the kid would have run away.

Seems like another example of "home defense" going wrong.

I agree with your assessment.

Woodruff wrote:Shouting out WOULD BE, in and of itself, "a big mistake" in most cases, in my opinion.

I would take at least partial cover behind something and shout "stop right there criminal scum". It would totally be worth it.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:02 pm

MeDeFe wrote:I would take at least partial cover behind something and shout "stop right there criminal scum". It would totally be worth it.

You mean you wouldn't just open fire on the unknown person until they lie motionless? What if they had a thermonuclear device? Then you would be sorry.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Symmetry on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:22 pm

Other sources indicate that he was carrying a knife and lunged at his father. The reports that I've read seem hazy on many of the details.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/29/tyler-giuliano-masked-teen-shot-killed-father-jeffrey-giuliano_n_1925224.html

I would say that calling the police would have been the best idea.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby 72o on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:13 pm

I'll put 10 bucks on bath salts.
Sergeant 72o

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,