Politicians Lying

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What should we do with politicians that lie?

Praise them for winning!
0
No votes
Ignore them
1
14%
Arrest them
3
43%
Kittens never lie
3
43%
 
Total votes : 7

Politicians Lying

Postby bedub1 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:29 pm

Again we have this same topic. Should it be illegal for a politician to lie? What should the punishment be?

IE when rMoney states that his medical plan will cover pre-existing conditions during the debate, but it in fact will not cover them, should he be arrested?

When rMoney states that he won't lower taxes on the rich, but his plan clearly does this, should he be disqualified from the election?

If a government employee tells you something, and you make life decisions based upon that information, but the government employee is lying to you and does the exact opposite, do you have a path for recourse?
Colonel bedub1
 
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:41 am
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Politicians Lying

Postby Night Strike on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:33 pm

bedub1 wrote:When rMoney states that he won't lower taxes on the rich, but his plan clearly does this, should he be disqualified from the election?


He clearly said in the debate that he wouldn't lower the share of taxes paid by the riches, which means the overall percentage of taxes paid by the rich. That is achieved by closing deductions and/or capping them.


By the way, why do you only name Romney in your post as a liar? What about the lies Obama has told about Libya, just to name one?
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant Night Strike
Tournament Director
Tournament Director
 
Posts: 8622
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 pm
Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Re: Politicians Lying

Postby Timminz on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Why is it that political advertisements are the only type of ads that are not bound by "truth in advertising" laws?
jay_a2j wrote:lets not be so quick to judge Hitler
User avatar
Captain Timminz
 
Posts: 5500
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:05 pm
Location: At the store
Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Politicians Lying

Postby bedub1 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:39 pm

Night Strike wrote:By the way, why do you only name Romney in your post as a liar? What about the lies Obama has told about Libya, just to name one?

Because I didn't just read an article about Obama lying. I read one about rMoney lying. Specifically, how it's incredibly difficult to debate somebody when you don't know what his position is. Given it changes on a daily basis, and changes based upon who he's talking to. The reason he "won" the debate is cause he lied his ass off to make himself appeal to lots of people. He backtracked on everything he said during his campaign, and his position has now swung 180 degrees to the other side.

I know that if he is elected, it will swing right back to the other side.
Colonel bedub1
 
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:41 am
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Politicians Lying

Postby bedub1 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Timminz wrote:Why is it that political advertisements are the only type of ads that are not bound by "truth in advertising" laws?

Good point! And if somebody is the Commander in Chief, shouldn't they be held to military standards, for things such as "conduct unbecoming of an officer"?
Colonel bedub1
 
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:41 am
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Politicians Lying

Postby Timminz on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:42 pm

bedub1 wrote:
Timminz wrote:Why is it that political advertisements are the only type of ads that are not bound by "truth in advertising" laws?

Good point! And if somebody is the Commander in Chief, shouldn't they be held to military standards, for things such as "conduct unbecoming of an officer"?


Probably, but as with anything: good luck getting the boss to be held accountable.
jay_a2j wrote:lets not be so quick to judge Hitler
User avatar
Captain Timminz
 
Posts: 5500
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:05 pm
Location: At the store
Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Politicians Lying

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:46 pm

I hear the politicians calling in a drone strike on bedub. Quick, run!


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25042
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: Politicians Lying

Postby bedub1 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:47 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I hear the politicians calling in a drone strike on bedub. Quick, run!


--Andy

Either that or the guys in the black van sent by obooma and the NDAA will just bag and tag me and I'll dissapear forever like a fart in the wind. Fucking obooma.
Colonel bedub1
 
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:41 am
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Politicians Lying

Postby Night Strike on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:49 pm

bedub1 wrote:
Night Strike wrote:By the way, why do you only name Romney in your post as a liar? What about the lies Obama has told about Libya, just to name one?

Because I didn't just read an article about Obama lying. I read one about rMoney lying. Specifically, how it's incredibly difficult to debate somebody when you don't know what his position is. Given it changes on a daily basis, and changes based upon who he's talking to. The reason he "won" the debate is cause he lied his ass off to make himself appeal to lots of people. He backtracked on everything he said during his campaign, and his position has now swung 180 degrees to the other side.

I know that if he is elected, it will swing right back to the other side.


If Romney was lying and it was "so" obvious, why didn't Obama call him out on it? And we know Obama's only line of attack on Romney in the debate was a lie when he claimed Romney would cut taxes by $5 trillion. Even one of his top campaign officials stated that today.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant Night Strike
Tournament Director
Tournament Director
 
Posts: 8622
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 pm
Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Re: Politicians Lying

Postby patches70 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Night Strike wrote:If Romney was lying and it was "so" obvious, why didn't Obama call him out on it? And we know Obama's only line of attack on Romney in the debate was a lie when he claimed Romney would cut taxes by $5 trillion. Even one of his top campaign officials stated that today.


That one is hilarious, and yet, he and other sycophantic obamaphiles are still spouting this lie.

Just on the face of it, 5 trillion should throw alarms bells and the lie-o-meter in people's heads off.

I was talking about this with someone else on another forum, having a good laugh about it. I think I'll copy it here-

show
Corporal patches70
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:44 pm
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Politicians Lying

Postby bedub1 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:01 pm

patches70 wrote:I was talking about this with someone else on another forum, having a good laugh about it. I think I'll copy it here-

show

You should have kept that to yourself.
Colonel bedub1
 
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:41 am
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Politicians Lying

Postby patches70 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:12 pm

bedub1 wrote:You should have kept that to yourself.


Are you serious? You believe Obama wasn't lying when he said Romney wants to give rich people a $5 trillion tax break?

You do know that is a complete lie, right? That the number of five trillion dollars is all BS. Please don't tell me you believe that lie Obama told and is still telling.
Five trillion dollar tax break, it's absurd to even say that out loud. Obama is counting on people to not take a moment and consider exactly what five trillion dollars really is. I'm boggled to how he even came to pick that particularly large number to state. I guess the adage, "the bigger the lie the more likely people will believe it" comes into play, maybe, I dunno.

But if you wanna believe that lie, then have at it. Just keep thinking it's "the other guy" who lies and not "your guy". You'll be well served thinking like that......
Corporal patches70
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:44 pm
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Politicians Lying

Postby bedub1 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:16 pm

patches70 wrote:
bedub1 wrote:You should have kept that to yourself.


Are you serious? You believe Obama wasn't lying when he said Romney wants to give rich people a $5 trillion tax break?

You do know that is a complete lie, right? That the number of five trillion dollars is all BS. Please don't tell me you believe that lie Obama told and is still telling.
Five trillion dollar tax break, it's absurd to even say that out loud. Obama is counting on people to not take a moment and consider exactly what five trillion dollars really is. I'm boggled to how he even came to pick that particularly large number to state. I guess the adage, "the bigger the lie the more likely people will believe it" comes into play, maybe, I dunno.

But if you wanna believe that lie, then have at it. Just keep thinking it's "the other guy" who lies and not "your guy". You'll be well served thinking like that......

It is true that a central facet of Mitt Romney’s economic plan is a 20 percent across-the-board reduction in marginal tax rates, plus elimination of the estate tax and the alternative minimum tax (AMT). Do the math on how much money the federal government would forgo as a result of this, and it’s about $456 billion a year. Over 10 years, that rounds up to $5 trillion. That's the calculus behind the "$5 trillion tax cut" figure that Obama cites.


EDIT: I think it's funny that the reason you seem to dismiss it is because you can't fathom how much 5 trillion dollars is. Just because you can't wrap your brain around the concept of infinity, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

EDIT2: you can read this too: http://www.salon.com/2012/10/04/the_tru ... _tax_plan/

Basically his cuts will amount to 4.8 trillion over 10 years. He says his cuts will be revenue neutral, but we know that is a lie. We know he is telling the truth about cutting taxes for the rich, because that's in line with his overall philosophy. He honestly thinks that his 14% tax rate is too high, and the middle class's 25-35% tax rate is too low, and he needs to lower taxes on the rich and raise taxes on the middle class/poor.
Colonel bedub1
 
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:41 am
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Politicians Lying

Postby Night Strike on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:58 pm

How can tax cuts be "revenue neutral" when every single tax IS revenue.

Besides, Obama's number assumes exactly zero deductions will be cut/capped and that revenues to the government will not possibly increase due to higher productivity in the private sector due to a less burdensome tax policy.

By the way, Obama thinks the 35% tax on the middle class is too low and wants it raised to 40%.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant Night Strike
Tournament Director
Tournament Director
 
Posts: 8622
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 pm
Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Re: Politicians Lying

Postby Nobunaga on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:54 pm

... You want some lies, go to YouTube today and watch anything... the first ads are all anti-Romney bullshite.

... People are so f*cking stupid. As a nation, I guess we deserve what we get.
Last edited by Nobunaga on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:09 am
Location: West of Osaka
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (1)

Next

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login