Conquer Club

WoT Mafia Planned!

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

WoT Mafia Planned!

Postby rishaed on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:55 pm

As soon as I complete my 2 required games of Mafia (Arkham City and HP Lovecraft) I really want to start a LARGE WoT Mafia based on Robert Jordans books. Im thinking of a NV game with new and interesting roles. Such as a role (no naming what it'll be called for possible future fake claimers ;D) that can see through Innocence. Or one that gives a random chance NOT to get killed even when targeted, with an even lesser chance to kill attacker :twisted: I can see that one getting out of hand if he gets lucky. . .
Seeing that Im probably going to do Massively Overpowered Townie rolls, Im going to have to try to balance it out with a nice mix of OP'd Forsaken *Mafia. I'm probably going to give some weaknesses to certain OP'd Forsaken and Townies. I will take a Co-Mod however. Plus I really want to know about the Program and functions people are using to set up Mafia games.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Re: WoT Mafia Planned!

Postby pancakemix on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:14 pm

Well, I'll give you the company line: It would be a good idea to run a simpler setup before trying to do something more complex. If you do decide to go ahead with your complex setup, getting an experienced to co-mod/review the setup. This is, of course, merely suggestion, not law.

Now that that's out of the way, I'll say I have no idea what "WoT" refers to. Would you mind elaborating? Also, if it's not a terribly well-known IP you might have trouble getting a large degree of support. Large games are hard to fill up in their own right. (Not to discourage you in any way, merely giving you fair warning. If you're set on this, follow your dreams)
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby Kanin Usagi on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:24 pm

pancakemix wrote:Well, I'll give you the company line: It would be a good idea to run a simpler setup before trying to do something more complex. If you do decide to go ahead with your complex setup, getting an experienced to co-mod/review the setup. This is, of course, merely suggestion, not law.

Now that that's out of the way, I'll say I have no idea what "WoT" refers to. Would you mind elaborating? Also, if it's not a terribly well-known IP you might have trouble getting a large degree of support. Large games are hard to fill up in their own right. (Not to discourage you in any way, merely giving you fair warning. If you're set on this, follow your dreams)

I assume he means "Wheel of Time," which is a rather large and somewhat popular series of books by Robert Jordan, and later Brandon Sanderson after Mr Jordan's unfortunate death.
Commander9 wrote:
Rodion wrote:Vote Commander9 for being Commander9.

I am convinced by your argument.

Vote Commander9.
Private Kanin Usagi

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:12 am

I'm unfamiliar with the series unfortunately. Also, the more OP you make the roles, the harder it will be to balance without giving either town or mafia some truly gamebreaking combinations of roles. Ambitious idea, but balance could really suffer.
Captain safariguy5

Postby rishaed on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:56 am

safariguy5 wrote:I'm unfamiliar with the series unfortunately. Also, the more OP you make the roles, the harder it will be to balance without giving either town or mafia some truly gamebreaking combinations of roles. Ambitious idea, but balance could really suffer.

Unfortunately I already thought of that . . . and decided to try to make outside of a lucky lynch very few investigative roles, however several other roles to balance GP.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Postby rishaed on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:58 am

Kanin Usagi wrote:I assume he means "Wheel of Time," which is a rather large and somewhat popular series of books by Robert Jordan, and later Brandon Sanderson after Mr Jordan's unfortunate death.

Correct. It just happened to be one of my favorite Epic's. O:)

Postby edocsil on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:47 am

I would be VERY interested in a WoT mafia, I haven't run one myself due to the limited number of people here who has read them. However, to do WoT justice it needs to be a big game. I think you should host a 9-12 player game and then move on to a 25 man game. If you time it right, you might even be able to make it an official CC game, so you can get medals and stuff. Also, besides Rand and the Forsaken, no one would really need to be that OP, just creative. Say Mat has a 75% chance to be immune to a NK and another chance based ability. Perin would be a Tracker or Weaponsmith or both for more power, but only one power could be used per night. Slap Ishmael/Moridin with something awfully OP to counter Rand and boom, fill in the rest of the interesting players with suitable roles.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby rishaed on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:55 am

edocsil wrote:I would be VERY interested in a WoT mafia, I haven't run one myself due to the limited number of people here who has read them. However, to do WoT justice it needs to be a big game. I think you should host a 9-12 player game and then move on to a 25 man game. If you time it right, you might even be able to make it an official CC game, so you can get medals and stuff. Also, besides Rand and the Forsaken, no one would really need to be that OP, just creative. Say Mat has a 75% chance to be immune to a NK and another chance based ability. Perin would be a Tracker or Weaponsmith or both for more power, but only one power could be used per night. Slap Ishmael/Moridin with something awfully OP to counter Rand and boom, fill in the rest of the interesting players with suitable roles.

I was thinking of throwing in Asmodean, Semihrage, Greandal, Morighan, a/o Mesaana in for Forsaken. . . with a possible backdoor on Asmodean from Rand.

Postby soundman on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:47 am

I read the first six (seven?) books and found I couldn't go on... I like fantasy and epics but that series is way too drawn out (and, dare I say it, poorly written) for me. Good luck on the game. I'd suggest getting an experienced player to co-mod it with you.
Lieutenant soundman

Postby aage on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:59 pm

Since we're talking Fantasy Epics... Game of Thrones revisited? Because those books are AWESOME.

(Sorry, never read WoT.)
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby pancakemix on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:10 pm

aage wrote:Since we're talking Fantasy Epics... Game of Thrones revisited? Because those books are AWESOME.

PLEASE. SOMEONE PLEASE. I could actually appreciate it now.

Now that you say Wheel of Time, I have heard of that (though I've not read it). I think it's been tossed around as a game idea before but never executed.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

Postby edocsil on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:03 pm

aage wrote:Since we're talking Fantasy Epics... Game of Thrones revisited? Because those books are AWESOME.

Gah, now there is awful lit. Just because you suck as an author with character development does not give you the right to kill off every single original character besides 1 or 2. I liked the first one a lot, yes the father was a tragedy, but shit the next books come around and everyone dies a pointless little death.

soundman wrote:I read the first six (seven?) books and found I couldn't go on... I like fantasy and epics but that series is way too drawn out (and, dare I say it, poorly written) for me. Good luck on the game. I'd suggest getting an experienced player to co-mod it with you.

There is a slump between 5-7 imo. After that Jordan gets back on his feet.
Edoc'sil

Postby Kanin Usagi on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:18 pm

edocsil wrote:
soundman wrote:I read the first six (seven?) books and found I couldn't go on... I like fantasy and epics but that series is way too drawn out (and, dare I say it, poorly written) for me. Good luck on the game. I'd suggest getting an experienced player to co-mod it with you.

Got back on his feet and unfortunately died. =[ Sanderson is doing the last few books justice though.

If you were to do this, would there be any vanilla roles? Cuz I can't think of a single named character that could be vanilla.
Commander9 wrote:

Vote Commander9.
Private Kanin Usagi

Postby lord voldemort on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:14 pm

People use programs to balance their games :|
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby pancakemix on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:44 pm

Gah, now there is awful lit. Just because you suck as an author with character development does not give you the right to kill off every single original character besides 1 or 2. I liked the first one a lot, yes the father was a tragedy, but shit the next books come around and everyone dies a pointless little death.

Can't speak for the books, but the show is fucking amazing. Like, I was watching two episodes a night for a little over a week and now March 31st needs to get its ass here, like, now.
Epic Win

Postby jonty125 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:52 am

lord voldemort wrote:People use programs to balance their games :|

Same, why was I not informed? :o
War doesn't determine who's right; it determines who's left.
Cook jonty125

Postby aage on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:16 am

edocsil wrote:

Martin can't help it if you identified the wrong characters as protagonists. If you've only read the first two books I don't think you can make judgement that easily. Besides, as is said in the first book, when you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.

(and if you thought the second book contained main-character massacres, you're up for a treat)
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby edocsil on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:36 am

I've read all but the last one. After the King of The north died I was done, but I kept reading thinking it was going to get better. I like My fantasy. Good guys, bad guys. Simple. Perhaps a few change sides, But I was so tired of every single characters lack of of honor.
Edoc'sil

Postby Kanin Usagi on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:24 pm

edocsil wrote:I've read all but the last one. After the King of The north died I was done, but I kept reading thinking it was going to get better. I like My fantasy. Good guys, bad guys. Simple. Perhaps a few change sides, But I was so tired of every single characters lack of of honor.

To be fair, his world mimics the truth of our medieval Europe much more closely than most other series out there.
Commander9 wrote:

Vote Commander9.
Private Kanin Usagi

Postby rishaed on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Kanin Usagi wrote:
edocsil wrote:

Got back on his feet and unfortunately died. =[ Sanderson is doing the last few books justice though.

If you were to do this, would there be any vanilla roles? Cuz I can't think of a single named character that could be vanilla.

See 1st post where it says im thinking of a NV game. . . now maybe a few charactered would be Vanillized by an ability, however i don't think its gonna start that way with Vanilla. :D Plus I like having other flavors in there :mrgreen:

Postby aage on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:58 pm

Kanin Usagi wrote:
edocsil wrote:I've read all but the last one. After the King of The north died I was done, but I kept reading thinking it was going to get better. I like My fantasy. Good guys, bad guys. Simple. Perhaps a few change sides, But I was so tired of every single characters lack of of honor.

To be fair, his world mimics the truth of our medieval Europe much more closely than most other series out there.

That's exactly what I like about it. I was sick of the good guys vs. the bad guys. I love the fact that everyone is out for themselves.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Return to Mafia Discussions