Mods On Strike?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Mods On Strike?

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:29 am

I'm really sorry If I scared you off Dukasaur, I hadn't considered that my posts were becoming depressing to anyone. Opinionated and abraisive maybe, but I really had no idea. I have been the object of more haters than usual as of late and perhaps its affecting the tone of my posts. This is not an excuse, its an explanation.

All I know, thanks to my haitus, is that I have come back to a different CC than I left. I have to admit that I think my haitus has given me a more vivid comparison between a year ago and now than the average player. I have referred to this phenomenon before as the "rip van winkle effect". The community seems to have shrunk and apathy grown. This notion I gained all by myself without any outside influence. Hencely, I tried to gain as much insight to the reasons by reading the appropriate threads and asking around. Having no other input until now, I was left to work with what I had to make as clear a picture as possible. I am not an apathetic person so my instinct was to try and think of a solution.

From what I understand CC's customer base is dropping and the fact is more or less undeniable. From your list of demands I of course have an opinion regarding all of them but they are not questions that are my responsibilty to answer, they are the site's owner's. There are ways to find out which changes would boost membership but the general consesus of those who are actually paying attention is that the site's owner isn't even looking into what the paying customers, present or future, actually want or need. This takes some effort and involvement that seems to be lacking(pardon the pun). I want, as I hope others want, the site to continue indefinitely. For those who think I have some ulterior motive, I don't know what that might be.

I'm going to have to take some more time to absorb your post which I really appreciate you drawing up. I just wanted to put something up to let you know that I read it and am overjoyed to see that someone is coming on this thread with something real to contribute, contrary to my own views or not. What I've written so far is essentially a response to up to point #3 but this is not to say that I may clarify my thoughts up until that point later. The whole purpose of the thread is to openly discuss a potential solution to a problem, not start a war.

As for the one mod who went on strike, I don't know the circumstances but its pretty hard for one person to fight the power as it were. A strike by nature is a unification of a group in protest towards a goal.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Mod Strike?

Postby jefjef on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:06 am

swimmerdude99 wrote:
jefjef wrote:
swimmerdude99 wrote:
#1_stunna wrote:
Foxglove wrote:
#1_stunna wrote:all your posts drive me fucking ape shit.

Then don't read them?

all your posts drive me fucking ape shit.

I forgot why you were foed... but I think its because either you stopped posting alot or I stopped reading forums as much.

WAY TO RUIN A FUN-LOVING THREAD IN ONE POST
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (9)
Tournament Contribution (2)

Re: Mod Strike?

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:32 am

jefjef wrote:
WAY TO RUIN A FUN-LOVING THREAD IN ONE POST

You said it, jefjef. =D>
Colonel Funkyterrance

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby Johnny Rockets on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:17 am

Wow, Dukasaur! =D>

What an excellent summary of the situation.
Thank you for putting that concise breakdown of the C.C. environment together!

You brought up quite a few points, mainly on improvements and population consensus that really hit the nail on the head, and I think that in general the membership should try to look at things from other than their own perspective to temper their opinions on the changes/ non changes that happen here.

Cognitive Dissonance. It runs rampant here.

One potential partial solution to help reducing it perhaps is for Lack to resurface from time to time to give a "State of the Union" post, or a twice a year interview in the C.C. Newsletter to show the troops on the ground that the "Man" is still around, still working hard, and still dedicated to keeping the site healthy and evolving, and could share his vision on where and what he wants this place to be in the long and short term.

I think that because he is so much behind the scenes, there is a perspective that he is absent, does not care any more, and has left control of the site to others and it's being run into the ground due to his apathy.

I do not think that this is true in any way, but there is a mob here that tends to lean towards that mentality, and without the figurehead of leadership it's hard to quell.

Do you think this would be a helpful exercise?

Johnny Rockets
Sergeant 1st Class Johnny Rockets

Medals: 51
Conquer Cup Silver Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (6)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:47 pm

Johnny Rockets wrote:Wow, Dukasaur! =D>

What an excellent summary of the situation.
Thank you for putting that concise breakdown of the C.C. environment together!

You brought up quite a few points, mainly on improvements and population consensus that really hit the nail on the head, and I think that in general the membership should try to look at things from other than their own perspective to temper their opinions on the changes/ non changes that happen here.

Cognitive Dissonance. It runs rampant here.

One potential partial solution to help reducing it perhaps is for Lack to resurface from time to time to give a "State of the Union" post, or a twice a year interview in the C.C. Newsletter to show the troops on the ground that the "Man" is still around, still working hard, and still dedicated to keeping the site healthy and evolving, and could share his vision on where and what he wants this place to be in the long and short term.

I think that because he is so much behind the scenes, there is a perspective that he is absent, does not care any more, and has left control of the site to others and it's being run into the ground due to his apathy.

I do not think that this is true in any way, but there is a mob here that tends to lean towards that mentality, and without the figurehead of leadership it's hard to quell.

Johnny Rockets

Though I detect a bit of deliberate excess in Johny Rockets's applause, I agree that Dukasaur's post was very informative and helpful.
The problem is that if lack is the one ultimately in charge and is so much "behind the scenes" as Johnny puts it, what are we, the "mob", meant to think? We can only go by what we see/hear, can we not? It's the responsibility of the owner of a site like this to communicate with his customers on a regular basis, else they will naturally begin to view him/her as apathetic. There is a cause/effect relationship between absentee behavior and distention. While JR seems to have absolute faith in lackattack's sincere regard for his paying customers, some of the members here require actual evidence.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Johnny Rockets on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:55 am

Thus the suggestion to come out once and awhile and address the rabble Via newsletter interview or a "state of the union post."

In the meantime, what "faith" are you lacking?
Dukasaur listed several questions in multiple categories in which you decided that you wouldn't bother to answer. Lack has added quite a few extra features to the site over the last 2 years. So despite his non=physical presence, it's obvious he's still invested in C.C.'s future, viability, and improvement.

You are stating that there are changes needed to be made, but are you being clear about what changes should be made? I don't think you are.

You are worried about the decline of membership, but with 14000+ it is still a vibrant community. How has this decline seriously affected you? Are your tournaments not filling? Not enough games available on your settings?
The forums bland and weak? Is this decline serious? Or are we just settling into a phase of a smaller but more devout community?

In short, is this decline truly a problem? ( and if not, what would the population number be where is becomes one?)

JR
Sergeant 1st Class Johnny Rockets

Medals: 51
Conquer Cup Silver Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (6)

Postby The Voice on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:58 am

Are we talking about God or a programmer who developed a few sites?
Colonel The Voice

Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:59 pm

The Voice wrote:Are we talking about God or a programmer who developed a few sites?

+1
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby fadedpsychosis on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:26 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
The Voice wrote:Are we talking about God or a programmer who developed a few sites?

+1

+3.1415927
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:47 pm

fadedpsychosis wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

+1

+3.1415927

Does the unusual quantity of that vote have something to do with skeksis/mystic soul division thing?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby fadedpsychosis on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
fadedpsychosis wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

+1

+3.1415927

Does the unusual quantity of that vote have something to do with skeksis/mystic soul division thing?

*LOL* nah, we just like pi...
good catch on remembering that though
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:17 pm

I don't have a picket, so I can't strike :(
Sergeant 1st Class TheForgivenOne

Medals: 82
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (6)
General Contribution (11)

Postby fadedpsychosis on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:22 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:I don't have a picket, so I can't strike :(

you could go bowling and strike that way... otherwise just loot a fence (if picket fences even still exist anymore...)
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Here you go, TFO:

Give em to your friends too. I'm sure you all can scrounge up a sharpie to make the appropriate changes. ;)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:44 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:

Here you go, TFO:

Give em to your friends too. I'm sure you all can scrounge up a sharpie to make the appropriate changes. ;)

You're implying that Canadians would actually strike.
Sergeant 1st Class TheForgivenOne

Medals: 82
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (6)
General Contribution (11)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion