Conquer Club

Illegal Immigrants: Win Pullitzer Prizes, Start Wildfires

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Illegal Immigrants: Win Pullitzer Prizes, Start Wildfire

Postby Symmetry on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:05 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Odd week for the the debate about illegal immigrants.

On the one hand we have the Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas admitting that he was brought into the US aged 11 without proper documentation.

On the other hand, we have John McCain and a few other Arizona Republicans claiming that wildfires in that state were caused by illegal immigrants. When pushed for evidence, however, they were curiously unwilling to provide it. Questions about how they know illegal immigrants started the fires were replied to with the statement:

While Arizonans continue to face the enormous challenges related to these wildfires, it's unfortunate that some are inserting their political agenda into this tragedy.

While I'm unsure if that statement represents some of the most rank hypocrisy I've seen recently, I do think that Americans should be concerned about immigrants coming over and stealing their Pulitzer Prizes.

Irony, yes. However, McCain's statement was not, as you claim without evidence. He made the comment based on statements by Forest Service and state fire fighting agency officials.

As a point of fact, illegal aliens do start some wildfires, not necessarily intentionally, but because they may wind up living in the woods, having campfires, etc. You also have to understand that conditions out west can be so very, very dry that anything from a random piece of debris hitting a car muffler and flying to lawn mowers to, of course, the old improperly tended campfire can cause a wildfire to start. Of course, there are a few arsonists and other idiots among the illegal workers. However, what this really shows another reason to provide some kind of safe housing for illegal workers.

I'm sure they do. Just as black people commit murder. What I object to is a major politician saying that it was caused by illegal immigrants before an investigation had been completed, then claiming that he didn't mean anything political by those statements, and accusing opponents of politicising it all.

Now if there was a murder, and a politician went on stage and said that he, or she, had been told that a black person committed that murder, I don't think it would be wholly unreasonable to ask what evidence that politician had for that allegation.

I'm afraid that "I was told by someone important" just doesn't cut it. There's no way to follow up on that. No way to substantiate the accusation. Indeed, follow ups by the media to McCain's claims to the media have, so far as I know, just stated that the issue was under investigation- they don't know who is responsible yet.

He's got a lovely bit of anti-Immigrant rhetoric going on here. If he's wrong, well, he can say that he didn't mean it and all this controversy is because of his irrational opponents seeking to demonise him (as he's doing at the moment). If nobody gets caught, well, the paranoia has been fueled, and that gets some votes for Repubs in Arizona and other border states. If he's right, and an illegal immigrant does get charged and convicted, then he was right from the very start- he always knew it, just couldn't provide evidence at the time and had to conceal the identities of those who told him.

Win-win really.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:50 pm

Well, I will have to go back to the original statement, because what I heard was not "this fire was started by ...", but some of these fires have been started by...".
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:22 pm

Confessed Illegal Alien Journalist Has License Revoked by Wash. State

He said that he obtained a driverā€™s license in Washington earlier this year after his Oregon license expired

ā€œ
We conducted in an investigation and concluded that he wasnā€™t residing at the address he provided us,ā€ Anthony said.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/update- ... ash-state/
Major Phatscotty

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Night Strike wrote:
radiojake wrote:Always need an 'other' to be able to blame all of our collective problems on -

'It's those damn illegal immigrants/boat people/muslims - they are ruining our society!!'

Kind of like how "Those damn rich people aren't paying enough in taxes."

(Even though the bottom 49% pay 0 income taxes.)

Have you figured out yet how the top 51% are not equivalent to "the rich", Night Strike...since you seem to be ignoring that point.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:27 pm

The top 51% are paying 96% of the bills.

That is called a fair share.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:28 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Symmetry wrote:sometimes you surprise me.

Phatscotty wrote:only when I'm right

Yes- that about sums it up.

I'm wondering if he's going to put that in his signature before he figures out what you mean by it, like he did with the response I made to him about "getting our shit together".
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:41 am

Well known journalist and immigration activist Jose Antonio Vargas, who also happens to be an illegal alien, was arrested at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport for driving without a license.

Hennepin County participates in the Secure Communities program, which allows local law enforcement agencies to cooperate with the federal government in enforcing immigration law by checking arrestees against immigration databases. Immigration and Customs Enforcement could act if the individual is found to be undocumented. Other details about Vargasā€™ arrest are unknown.

Vargas gained national attention for his June 2011 New York Times essay titled ā€œMy Life as an Undocumented Immigrant.ā€ In the essay, he describes what living as an illegal immigrant is like in the United States, though Vargas is an outspoken critic of using the term ā€œillegal immigrant.ā€

Vargas also appeared on the cover of Time Magazine along with dozens of other illegal aliens. The cover read ā€œWe Are Americans ā€” Just Not Legally.ā€œ He publicly ā€came outā€ as an illegal immigrant last year.

Hey Vargas, if you want to be taken seriously in your crusade to ban anything with the word "illegal" in it, maybe you should try to follow at least some of our most basic and fundamental laws, especially when you are an illegal immigrant.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:21 pm

Did he start a wildfire that I'm unaware of?

Also:

Jose Antonio Vargas, the writer and activist who went public last year with his status as an undocumented immigrant, was arrested for a driving infraction in Minnesota on Friday, but federal immigration authorities did not detain him or take any other action, officials said Saturday.

Vargas, a former Washington Post reporter who revealed his status in The New York Times Magazine and touched off a debate in the journalistic community, was initially pulled over by a state trooper for driving while wearing head phones, Eric Roeske, public information officer for the Minnesota state patrol, told POLITICO.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/10 ... z28f8wexW4
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Woodruff on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:52 pm

Symmetry wrote:Did he start a wildfire that I'm unaware of?

Where did this come from?
Last edited by Woodruff on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:54 pm

what a dumbass!

HAHAHAHA

So, he was driving with no license, no insurance, while wearing headphones? I don't think there is anything that screams more loudly "I don't give a shit about your laws or anyone on your roads!!!!!!!!"

This is a perfect example of someone who needs to get kicked the F outta here
Last edited by Phatscotty on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Woodruff wrote:That's Phatscotty changing the titles of his thread again, that's Phatscotty trolling.

IT'S YOUR THREAD, DUMMY!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Symmetry trolled himself! And Woodruff trolled Symm trolling himself, thinking he was trolling me!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What a perfect note to end it on
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Oh, looks like you edited your post...not in time tho

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Major Phatscotty

Postby Woodruff on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Woodruff wrote:That's Phatscotty changing the titles of his thread again, that's Phatscotty trolling.

I did not say this. I DID edit my post once I recognized my error, but this is not remotely what I had said. Why are you so dishonest, Phatscotty?

Postby Woodruff on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:10 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Oh, looks like you edited your post...not in time tho
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Are you laughing at your dishonesty or my honest mistake? Yeah, I should know better than to expect you to admit to anything like that.

It certainly shouldn't be surprising that someone would mistake you for doing that, given your predilection for it.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:33 am

Phatscotty wrote:

IT'S YOUR THREAD, DUMMY!

Symmetry trolled himself! And Woodruff trolled Symm trolling himself, thinking he was trolling me!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What a perfect note to end it on

:lol:

I can't believe it!

And look at Woodruff pumping up the PR!

haha. Good job, PS.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Symmetry on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:04 pm

The right wingers have smelled blood, and the smilies have been placed in motion.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:48 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

IT'S YOUR THREAD!

I can't believe it!

haha. Good job, PS.

Major Phatscotty

Postby Woodruff on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

IT'S YOUR THREAD!

I can't believe it!

haha. Good job, PS.

I guess when the best thing you've got going for you is something that someone else already admitted, you've got a pretty low bar for "the best thing you've got going for you". But congrats on that, at least.

Postby Gillipig on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:14 am

On the one hand we have the Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas admitting that he was brought into the US aged 11 without proper documentation.

On the other hand, we have John McCain and a few other Arizona Republicans claiming that wildfires in that state were caused by illegal immigrants. When pushed for evidence, however, they were curiously unwilling to provide it. Questions about how they know illegal immigrants started the fires were replied to with the statement:

While Arizonans continue to face the enormous challenges related to these wildfires, it's unfortunate that some are inserting their political agenda into this tragedy.

While I'm unsure if that statement represents some of the most rank hypocrisy I've seen recently, I do think that Americans should be concerned about immigrants coming over and stealing their Pulitzer Prizes.

Are you implying that because a Pulitzer prize winner was an illegal immigrant, illegal immigrants can't have started the wildfires? Or is there no connection between the two stories? Why bring them both up in the same thread in that case? What's with "on the other hand"? It sounds as if one should keep the first story in mind when judging the validity of the second, but that makes no sense whatsoever.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Gillipig wrote:

Are you implying that because a Pulitzer prize winner was an illegal immigrant, illegal immigrants can't have started the wildfires? Or is there no connection between the two stories? Why bring them both up in the same thread in that case? What's with "on the other hand"? It sounds as if one should keep the first story in mind when judging the validity of the second, but that makes no sense whatsoever.

They turned up at the same time, on the same day, of the same newspaper. Of course, the OP was about contemporary events more than a year ago.

You got trolled by an infamous necrobumper.

I wonder if I can get you worked up about the President cheating on his wife in the oval office.

Feel free to get irate if you like though.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Gillipig on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:26 am

Symmetry wrote:
Gillipig wrote:

They turned up at the same time, on the same day, of the same newspaper. Of course, the OP was about contemporary events more than a year ago.

You got trolled by an infamous necrobumper.

I wonder if I can get you worked up about the President cheating on his wife in the oval office.

Feel free to get irate if you like though.

Sometimes you just need to rant about something.

You know this better than anyone ;)
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,