Atlas Shrugged 3 - CO-STARRING RON PAUL!!!

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Hank Meets the Wet Nurse, Shrugs...

Postby john9blue on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:53 pm

nietzsche wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:No, you were constantly trying to argue with someone without having anything to argue about while accusing them of not knowing how to argue.

Says more about you than it does me....



Nope, sorry, I told you I wasn't gonna let you walk away with this one.

You tried to casually implant that Atlas Shrugged is the second most influential western book, which is false. Pretty much as a salesman will little by little, introduce misleading facts further and further, and if you don't stop him later you have that X car is no doubt the best invention ever since sex in the mornings.

Atlas Shrugged is not the second most influential western book, however you want to pile up quotes. That's all.

And if you lie, I will show your lies, and if you try to advance any further Ad Eminem attacks I will show the screenshots I have were you claim to have attained riches by following the trail of money makers and finding the hiding trails and have some sort of hyper mentality and some other bunch of crap that shows how brainwashed you are.

I had deleted a previous comment where I hinted you had told this bunch of get-rich-quick book crap to me, but you chose to keep at it, and now that I remember, you never said that was a secret, so I guess I can share it.


how would you go about determining the most influential books? clearly you don't think a poll is sufficient.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Re: Hank Meets the Wet Nurse, Shrugs...

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:57 pm

nietzsche wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:No, you were constantly trying to argue with someone without having anything to argue about while accusing them of not knowing how to argue.

Says more about you than it does me....



Nope, sorry, I told you I wasn't gonna let you walk away with this one.

You tried to casually implant that Atlas Shrugged is the second most influential western book, which is false. Pretty much as a salesman will little by little, introduce misleading facts further and further, and if you don't stop him later you have that X car is no doubt the best invention ever since sex in the mornings.

Atlas Shrugged is not the second most influential western book, however you want to pile up quotes. That's all.

And if you lie, I will show your lies, and if you try to advance any further Ad Eminem attacks I will show the screenshots I have were you claim to have attained riches by following the trail of money makers and finding the hiding trails and have some sort of hyper mentality and some other bunch of crap that shows how brainwashed you are.

I had deleted a previous comment where I hinted you had told this bunch of get-rich-quick book crap to me, but you chose to keep at it, and now that I remember, you never said that was a secret, so I guess I can share it.


Well, thank you for not letting me get away with sharing the results of a survey taken by the Library of Congress.
Thank you for sharing the irrelevant information about my personal finances. It makes me very glad I tried to help when you asked me for help.

#1) Have you read Atlas Shrugged?
#2) What you are basing your opinion of the influence of Atlas Shrugged on?
#3) Why would you take screen shots of my chatter when I was just trying to help you? :-s
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
User avatar
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 91
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Re: Hank Meets the Wet Nurse, Shrugs...

Postby nietzsche on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:07 am

john9blue wrote:
nietzsche wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:No, you were constantly trying to argue with someone without having anything to argue about while accusing them of not knowing how to argue.

Says more about you than it does me....



Nope, sorry, I told you I wasn't gonna let you walk away with this one.

You tried to casually implant that Atlas Shrugged is the second most influential western book, which is false. Pretty much as a salesman will little by little, introduce misleading facts further and further, and if you don't stop him later you have that X car is no doubt the best invention ever since sex in the mornings.

Atlas Shrugged is not the second most influential western book, however you want to pile up quotes. That's all.

And if you lie, I will show your lies, and if you try to advance any further Ad Eminem attacks I will show the screenshots I have were you claim to have attained riches by following the trail of money makers and finding the hiding trails and have some sort of hyper mentality and some other bunch of crap that shows how brainwashed you are.

I had deleted a previous comment where I hinted you had told this bunch of get-rich-quick book crap to me, but you chose to keep at it, and now that I remember, you never said that was a secret, so I guess I can share it.


how would you go about determining the most influential books? clearly you don't think a poll is sufficient.


A well planned poll could suffice to a certain degrees of accuracy, pretty much how good scientific experiments need to be planned to account for every detail.

But the problem is not only that it was a poll, the problem is who responded to that poll, it's not a a group of people that would account for the the whole western world, present and past.

I believe this question would be more easily answered by some group of scholars, for how can you account for the influence every book has had on the world? You cannot poll dead people.

For instance, think of the influence Marx's books have had in the world, wars, death. What about Principia Mathematica and all his influence in our technology?

I cannot say, but for sure I know Atlas Shrugged, a novel about capitalism and objectivism hasn't influenced the western world enough to be the "second most influential western book".

I believe you are failing to see my point john on showing Scotty's lie, it's precisely because the way he says stuff, like he's not saying anything ambitious, not trying to show anything new, "everybody knows, the Library o Congress said so": my point is not that I don't believe in a poll, my point is that a poll on a number of Americans in the year 2000 will not tell you which book is "the second most influential western book".
Image
User avatar
Major nietzsche
 
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Fantasy Cooperstown
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Hank Meets the Wet Nurse, Shrugs...

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:09 am

you dont believe the survey.....based on what? How do you "for sure know" what Atlas Shrugged is or isn't?

how can it be my lie? Wouldn't it be the library of Congress's?

Do you still think I took the survey myself? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
User avatar
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 91
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Re: Hank Meets the Wet Nurse, Shrugs...

Postby nietzsche on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:28 am

Phatscotty wrote:
Well, thank you for not letting me get away with sharing the results of a survey taken by the Library of Congress.
Thank you for sharing the irrelevant information about my personal finances. It makes me very glad I tried to help when you asked me for help.

#1) Have you read Atlas Shrugged?
#2) What you are basing your opinion of the influence of Atlas Shrugged on?
#3) Why would you take screen shots of my chatter when I was just trying to help you? :-s


Well, thank you for not letting me get away with sharing the results of a survey taken by the Library of Congress.
Haven't I stated here well enough what my point is?

I bet the survey results truthfully account for the scope it was designed. It says a lot about certain people, most likely Americans in the ages from 20 to 60.

Thank you for sharing the irrelevant information about my personal finances. It makes me very glad I tried to help when you asked me for help.
When did I ask you for help and in what? It's relevant because it shows how brainwashed you are, it's not your personal finances I was particularly interested to share, it's all the combination of the shit you told me in those days. It shows that either you are a mental case or that you lie all the time.

#1) Have you read Atlas Shrugged?
No, I admit I was interested once but on knowing it was like 1500 pages I decided not to

#2) What you are basing your opinion of the influence of Atlas Shrugged on?
I'm just making an educated guess. A book written in 19xx cannot have influenced a majority of people in the western world.

#3) Why would you take screen shots of my chatter when I was just trying to help you?
Again, from where do you take you were trying to help you? (Of course, this is you trying to get some public points, in the next posts you will unfold another lie)

To be honest, I was so taken aback from some of your messages that I had to show them to AoG.
Image
User avatar
Major nietzsche
 
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Fantasy Cooperstown
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Hank Meets the Wet Nurse, Shrugs...

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:33 am

Image

nietzsche wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Well, thank you for not letting me get away with sharing the results of a survey taken by the Library of Congress.
Thank you for sharing the irrelevant information about my personal finances. It makes me very glad I tried to help when you asked me for help.

#1) Have you read Atlas Shrugged?
#2) What you are basing your opinion of the influence of Atlas Shrugged on?
#3) Why would you take screen shots of my chatter when I was just trying to help you? :-s


Well, thank you for not letting me get away with sharing the results of a survey taken by the Library of Congress.
Haven't I stated here well enough what my point is?

I bet the survey results truthfully account for the scope it was designed. It says a lot about certain people, most likely Americans in the ages from 20 to 60.

Thank you for sharing the irrelevant information about my personal finances. It makes me very glad I tried to help when you asked me for help.
When did I ask you for help and in what? It's relevant because it shows how brainwashed you are, it's not your personal finances I was particularly interested to share, it's all the combination of the shit you told me in those days. It shows that either you are a mental case or that you lie all the time.

#1) Have you read Atlas Shrugged?
No, I admit I was interested once but on knowing it was like 1500 pages I decided not to

#2) What you are basing your opinion of the influence of Atlas Shrugged on?
I'm just making an educated guess. A book written in 19xx cannot have influenced a majority of people in the western world.

#3) Why would you take screen shots of my chatter when I was just trying to help you?
Again, from where do you take you were trying to help you? (Of course, this is you trying to get some public points, in the next posts you will unfold another lie)

To be honest, I was so taken aback from some of your messages that I had to show them to AoG.


You do know what brainwashed means, right? You keep calling me brainwashed....just wondering if you are aware that you are the one making all kinds of assumptions, stating all kinds of facts, dismissing all kinds of surveys....all without not having a single bit of information to base it on.......

That, my dear friend, is the definition of brainwashed

Thanks for playing
Last edited by Phatscotty on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
User avatar
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 91
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Re: Hank Meets the Wet Nurse, Shrugs...

Postby nietzsche on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:33 am

Phatscotty wrote:you dont believe the survey.....based on what? How do you "for sure know" what Atlas Shrugged is or isn't?

how can it be my lie? Wouldn't it be the library of Congress's?

Do you still think I took the survey myself? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


??????


In previous posts I have said that I bet the survey does good service to its scope.

I'm using large letters now because I think it's now your purpose to misinterpret and misquote me in order to confuse and change what my point is.

You are not going to win this one. ;)
Image
User avatar
Major nietzsche
 
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Fantasy Cooperstown
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Hank Meets the Wet Nurse, Shrugs...

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:39 am

Just f*ck off. I am extremely disappointed that after all the time I took to answer your questions, you just throw it in my face like this and tie it into your troll moves.
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
User avatar
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 91
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Re: Hank Meets the Wet Nurse, Shrugs...

Postby nietzsche on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:42 am

Phatscotty wrote:
nietzsche wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Well, thank you for not letting me get away with sharing the results of a survey taken by the Library of Congress.
Thank you for sharing the irrelevant information about my personal finances. It makes me very glad I tried to help when you asked me for help.

#1) Have you read Atlas Shrugged?
#2) What you are basing your opinion of the influence of Atlas Shrugged on?
#3) Why would you take screen shots of my chatter when I was just trying to help you? :-s


Well, thank you for not letting me get away with sharing the results of a survey taken by the Library of Congress.
Haven't I stated here well enough what my point is?

I bet the survey results truthfully account for the scope it was designed. It says a lot about certain people, most likely Americans in the ages from 20 to 60.

Thank you for sharing the irrelevant information about my personal finances. It makes me very glad I tried to help when you asked me for help.
When did I ask you for help and in what? It's relevant because it shows how brainwashed you are, it's not your personal finances I was particularly interested to share, it's all the combination of the shit you told me in those days. It shows that either you are a mental case or that you lie all the time.

#1) Have you read Atlas Shrugged?
No, I admit I was interested once but on knowing it was like 1500 pages I decided not to

#2) What you are basing your opinion of the influence of Atlas Shrugged on?
I'm just making an educated guess. A book written in 19xx cannot have influenced a majority of people in the western world.

#3) Why would you take screen shots of my chatter when I was just trying to help you?
Again, from where do you take you were trying to help you? (Of course, this is you trying to get some public points, in the next posts you will unfold another lie)

To be honest, I was so taken aback from some of your messages that I had to show them to AoG.


You do know what brainwashed means, right? You keep calling me brainwashed....just wondering if you are aware that you are the one making all kinds of assumptions, stating all kinds of facts, dismissing all kinds of surveys....all without not having a single bit of information to base it on.......

That, my dear friend, is the definition of brainwashed

Thanks for playing



dismissing all kinds of surveys

In previous posts I have said that I bet the survey does good service to its scope.
I'm using large letters now because I think it's now your purpose to misinterpret and misquote me in order to confuse and change what my point is.

I call you brainwashed because a lot of what you were saying to me in those private messages were almost copy paste of get-rich-quick books (yes, sadly I've read a few of them myself).

I also told you already in what I base my assumption that Atlas Shrugged is not the second most influential western book: the western world is normally considered, specially when it comes to books and written records, to be from 1000 B.D. (I don't recall exactly) to this day. The distinction is made because of the differences in culture and books and all that form the eastern traditions. I truly believe that a book written in the 20th century hasn't had the time to influence the world as much as some other books, much more important in content, have.
Image
User avatar
Major nietzsche
 
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Fantasy Cooperstown
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Hank Meets the Wet Nurse, Shrugs...

Postby nietzsche on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:43 am

Phatscotty wrote:Just f*ck off. I am extremely disappointed that after all the time I took to answer your questions, you just throw it in my face like this and tie it into your troll moves.


quoted to prevent malicious editing in the future.
Image
User avatar
Major nietzsche
 
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Fantasy Cooperstown
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Atlas Shrugged II - Opens This Weekend

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:43 am

Image


Image

Jonathan Hoenig on Atlas Shrugged Part II

"Do you have the moral right to your own life, or don't you?"






Savage explores the influence of the novel, wonders why so many people say the book changed their life
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
User avatar
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 91
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Re: Atlas Shrugged II - Opens This Weekend

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:49 pm

Fine day for a movie, ehhhhh?

The setting...2016
"I want you to remember that, to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."
User avatar
Colonel Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 91
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (13)

Re: Atlas Shrugged II - Opens This Weekend

Postby Symmetry on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Atlas Shrugged Part 2-The Strike, rated F

Dagny Taggart’s long journey back to The Shire continues, over the will of the free market, in Atlas Shrugged: Part II—The Strike, the middle installment of an epic six-hour temper tantrum based on Ayn Rand’s Objectivist novel. Picking up right where the last one left off—albeit with a new cast, a new director, and perhaps a little more fiscal discipline in the production budget— Part II hits the current political scene in stride, incorporating the Occupy Wall Street protests into its dystopian vision of makers and takers, the 1 percent who innovate and the 99 percent who sponge off the profits. As with Part I, Rand’s polemics translate awkwardly to drama, making robots out of another corral of veteran character actors. But the specific problem with Part II is that a second act of huffery and puffery don’t get it anywhere: After the cliffhanger of one major industrialist “going Galt,” it offers another two hours of major industrialists going Galt. Those who want to see what these geniuses do will have to wait until Part III. And until then, there’s a wedding-reception toast about the value of money to tide them over.

Proving the theorem from Todd Solondz’s Palindromes that different actors can play the same role without losing much continuity, Samantha Mathis plays Dagny with all the lifelessness Taylor Schilling brought to the original role. In Part I, Dagny revived the Taggart railway company—and her slumbering libido—by getting into business with Henry Reardon (now played by Jason Beghe), a steel-company magnate who laid down magic track across Taggart Tunnel, euphemistically speaking. But with gas prices spiking to $40 per gallon, unemployment on the rise, and global economic collapse imminent, the liberal government, with its Fair Share measures, wants a big piece of both businesses. While other geniuses drop out of society—leaving the cryptic note, “Who Is John Galt?”—Dagny and Henry continue to try to keep their businesses alive and serve the stupidheads who patronize them.

Part II introduces another piece of world-changing magic: a mysterious machine that can harness power from static electricity in the air, thus buffeting Atlas Shrugged’s capitalist utopia of mass transit and alternative energy sources. There’s also some scary business about an emergency government plan to force people to stay employed, shut down the patent office, and sign all inventions over to Big Brother. Atlas Shrugged is premised on the idea that the world only has a few true geniuses—great industrialists, inventors, musicians, and artists, too, albeit plainly none involved in the making of the Atlas Shrugged movies—and “going Galt” means they’re going to take their toys and go home. The arrogance of that is astounding, and it robs both parts of this adaptation of empathy, which is the primordial soup of good drama. Without it, Part II continues to leave Rand’s philosophy to function only in the abstract.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Atlas Shrugged II - Opens This Weekend

Postby john9blue on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:20 pm

Symmetry wrote:Atlas Shrugged Part 2-The Strike, rated F

Dagny Taggart’s long journey back to The Shire continues, over the will of the free market, in Atlas Shrugged: Part II—The Strike, the middle installment of an epic six-hour temper tantrum based on Ayn Rand’s Objectivist novel. Picking up right where the last one left off—albeit with a new cast, a new director, and perhaps a little more fiscal discipline in the production budget— Part II hits the current political scene in stride, incorporating the Occupy Wall Street protests into its dystopian vision of makers and takers, the 1 percent who innovate and the 99 percent who sponge off the profits. As with Part I, Rand’s polemics translate awkwardly to drama, making robots out of another corral of veteran character actors. But the specific problem with Part II is that a second act of huffery and puffery don’t get it anywhere: After the cliffhanger of one major industrialist “going Galt,” it offers another two hours of major industrialists going Galt. Those who want to see what these geniuses do will have to wait until Part III. And until then, there’s a wedding-reception toast about the value of money to tide them over.

Proving the theorem from Todd Solondz’s Palindromes that different actors can play the same role without losing much continuity, Samantha Mathis plays Dagny with all the lifelessness Taylor Schilling brought to the original role. In Part I, Dagny revived the Taggart railway company—and her slumbering libido—by getting into business with Henry Reardon (now played by Jason Beghe), a steel-company magnate who laid down magic track across Taggart Tunnel, euphemistically speaking. But with gas prices spiking to $40 per gallon, unemployment on the rise, and global economic collapse imminent, the liberal government, with its Fair Share measures, wants a big piece of both businesses. While other geniuses drop out of society—leaving the cryptic note, “Who Is John Galt?”—Dagny and Henry continue to try to keep their businesses alive and serve the stupidheads who patronize them.

Part II introduces another piece of world-changing magic: a mysterious machine that can harness power from static electricity in the air, thus buffeting Atlas Shrugged’s capitalist utopia of mass transit and alternative energy sources. There’s also some scary business about an emergency government plan to force people to stay employed, shut down the patent office, and sign all inventions over to Big Brother. Atlas Shrugged is premised on the idea that the world only has a few true geniuses—great industrialists, inventors, musicians, and artists, too, albeit plainly none involved in the making of the Atlas Shrugged movies—and “going Galt” means they’re going to take their toys and go home. The arrogance of that is astounding, and it robs both parts of this adaptation of empathy, which is the primordial soup of good drama. Without it, Part II continues to leave Rand’s philosophy to function only in the abstract.


i want your honest opinion symmetry: do you think the review that you quoted was unbiased?
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Re: Atlas Shrugged II - Opens This Weekend

Postby Symmetry on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:22 pm

john9blue wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Atlas Shrugged Part 2-The Strike, rated F

Dagny Taggart’s long journey back to The Shire continues, over the will of the free market, in Atlas Shrugged: Part II—The Strike, the middle installment of an epic six-hour temper tantrum based on Ayn Rand’s Objectivist novel. Picking up right where the last one left off—albeit with a new cast, a new director, and perhaps a little more fiscal discipline in the production budget— Part II hits the current political scene in stride, incorporating the Occupy Wall Street protests into its dystopian vision of makers and takers, the 1 percent who innovate and the 99 percent who sponge off the profits. As with Part I, Rand’s polemics translate awkwardly to drama, making robots out of another corral of veteran character actors. But the specific problem with Part II is that a second act of huffery and puffery don’t get it anywhere: After the cliffhanger of one major industrialist “going Galt,” it offers another two hours of major industrialists going Galt. Those who want to see what these geniuses do will have to wait until Part III. And until then, there’s a wedding-reception toast about the value of money to tide them over.

Proving the theorem from Todd Solondz’s Palindromes that different actors can play the same role without losing much continuity, Samantha Mathis plays Dagny with all the lifelessness Taylor Schilling brought to the original role. In Part I, Dagny revived the Taggart railway company—and her slumbering libido—by getting into business with Henry Reardon (now played by Jason Beghe), a steel-company magnate who laid down magic track across Taggart Tunnel, euphemistically speaking. But with gas prices spiking to $40 per gallon, unemployment on the rise, and global economic collapse imminent, the liberal government, with its Fair Share measures, wants a big piece of both businesses. While other geniuses drop out of society—leaving the cryptic note, “Who Is John Galt?”—Dagny and Henry continue to try to keep their businesses alive and serve the stupidheads who patronize them.

Part II introduces another piece of world-changing magic: a mysterious machine that can harness power from static electricity in the air, thus buffeting Atlas Shrugged’s capitalist utopia of mass transit and alternative energy sources. There’s also some scary business about an emergency government plan to force people to stay employed, shut down the patent office, and sign all inventions over to Big Brother. Atlas Shrugged is premised on the idea that the world only has a few true geniuses—great industrialists, inventors, musicians, and artists, too, albeit plainly none involved in the making of the Atlas Shrugged movies—and “going Galt” means they’re going to take their toys and go home. The arrogance of that is astounding, and it robs both parts of this adaptation of empathy, which is the primordial soup of good drama. Without it, Part II continues to leave Rand’s philosophy to function only in the abstract.


i want your honest opinion symmetry: do you think the review that you quoted was unbiased?


Nope, it was from a film critic. They tend to pan the crap ones.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Atlas Shrugged II - Opens This Weekend

Postby john9blue on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:28 pm

Symmetry wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Atlas Shrugged Part 2-The Strike, rated F

Dagny Taggart’s long journey back to The Shire continues, over the will of the free market, in Atlas Shrugged: Part II—The Strike, the middle installment of an epic six-hour temper tantrum based on Ayn Rand’s Objectivist novel. Picking up right where the last one left off—albeit with a new cast, a new director, and perhaps a little more fiscal discipline in the production budget— Part II hits the current political scene in stride, incorporating the Occupy Wall Street protests into its dystopian vision of makers and takers, the 1 percent who innovate and the 99 percent who sponge off the profits. As with Part I, Rand’s polemics translate awkwardly to drama, making robots out of another corral of veteran character actors. But the specific problem with Part II is that a second act of huffery and puffery don’t get it anywhere: After the cliffhanger of one major industrialist “going Galt,” it offers another two hours of major industrialists going Galt. Those who want to see what these geniuses do will have to wait until Part III. And until then, there’s a wedding-reception toast about the value of money to tide them over.

Proving the theorem from Todd Solondz’s Palindromes that different actors can play the same role without losing much continuity, Samantha Mathis plays Dagny with all the lifelessness Taylor Schilling brought to the original role. In Part I, Dagny revived the Taggart railway company—and her slumbering libido—by getting into business with Henry Reardon (now played by Jason Beghe), a steel-company magnate who laid down magic track across Taggart Tunnel, euphemistically speaking. But with gas prices spiking to $40 per gallon, unemployment on the rise, and global economic collapse imminent, the liberal government, with its Fair Share measures, wants a big piece of both businesses. While other geniuses drop out of society—leaving the cryptic note, “Who Is John Galt?”—Dagny and Henry continue to try to keep their businesses alive and serve the stupidheads who patronize them.

Part II introduces another piece of world-changing magic: a mysterious machine that can harness power from static electricity in the air, thus buffeting Atlas Shrugged’s capitalist utopia of mass transit and alternative energy sources. There’s also some scary business about an emergency government plan to force people to stay employed, shut down the patent office, and sign all inventions over to Big Brother. Atlas Shrugged is premised on the idea that the world only has a few true geniuses—great industrialists, inventors, musicians, and artists, too, albeit plainly none involved in the making of the Atlas Shrugged movies—and “going Galt” means they’re going to take their toys and go home. The arrogance of that is astounding, and it robs both parts of this adaptation of empathy, which is the primordial soup of good drama. Without it, Part II continues to leave Rand’s philosophy to function only in the abstract.


i want your honest opinion symmetry: do you think the review that you quoted was unbiased?


Nope, it was from a film critic. They tend to pan the crap ones.


i don't think you understand what "biased" means.

bias is a preconceived notion, not a postconceived notion.

try again.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Re: Atlas Shrugged II - Opens This Weekend

Postby Symmetry on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:31 pm

He watched the film, thought it was crap. Reviewed it, said it was crap.

For more reviews:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/atlas_shrugged_part_ii/

"Atlas Shrugged: Part II" is political economy written with crayon.


A stupid person's idea of what a smart movie sounds like.


A disaster as a film, Atlas also is laughable in its presentation of Rand's ideology.


If the novel Atlas Shrugged is ultimate libertarian porn, then the first two installments of the screen adaptation are soggy softcore.


It's consistent with its predecessor as a somewhat awkward translation of Ayn Rand's 1957 novel to our current era, handled with bland telepic-style competency.


I'd quote the positive reviews, but there aren't any. It's a 0%.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Atlas Shrugged II - Opens This Weekend

Postby john9blue on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:09 pm

can't wait for Das Kapital: The Movie to come out and get rave reviews

so just to be clear, you think movie critics aren't biased?
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Re: Atlas Shrugged II - Opens This Weekend

Postby Symmetry on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:12 pm

john9blue wrote:can't wait for Das Kapital: The Movie to come out and get rave reviews

so just to be clear, you think movie critics aren't biased?


Did this question before, they're biased against crap movies. It's kind of their job to be. Next up, J9B argues Battlefield Earth wasn't crap, the critics were just biased against Scientology.

It was crap.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Atlas Shrugged II - Opens This Weekend

Postby john9blue on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:11 pm

Symmetry wrote:
john9blue wrote:can't wait for Das Kapital: The Movie to come out and get rave reviews

so just to be clear, you think movie critics aren't biased?


Did this question before, they're biased against crap movies. It's kind of their job to be. Next up, J9B argues Battlefield Earth wasn't crap, the critics were just biased against Scientology.

It was crap.


have you seen it, or are you making this statement just based on faith?
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Re: Atlas Shrugged II - Opens This Weekend

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:35 am

I did not see AS2, but I did watch AS1 on iTunes and, I hate to say it, the film was a mess, so I'm likely to believe the reviews.

    CONS: I'm somewhat sympathetic - even if I may not totally agree - with Rand's book, but she was a fantastic writer able to weave a story with slowly constructed plotlines that provide convincing context, whereas, the two-hour film only has enough time to to take the thesis from the back cover, knock you over the head with hit and drag you back to its cave. The character development present in the book had all been stripped out in favor of the political treatise leaving a bunch of shallow cartoon characters about which one didn't care at all. In her book, Rand expertly argues for her philosophy by offering rich characters with which you can connect, even if they are of different circumstances.

    That point aside, however, the acting in AS1 was absolutely abysmal. It was like watching a Made-for-TV movie or a soap opera. Honestly, I found myself laughing at some of - what were supposed to have been - the most dramatic moments.

    PROS: great costuming and set design

One can like a book and think the film version was crap. I think this may be why some writers (i.e. J.D. Salinger) refused to let their books be turned into films. After the current hyperbole of the LCD class regaring Ayn Rand has died down again, another generation of college students would have been likely to get into her books, but the film will have the effect of negative promotion. I liked Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass but thank God the box office was bad enough that they'll never make the sequel.
betiko wrote:your sister should know that where you get the most accurate temperature is in your anus
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class saxitoxin
 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:01 am
Location: the American Riviera
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Atlas Shrugged II - Opens This Weekend

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:28 pm

Thanks, sax. You've convinced me not to watch AS1.

For saving me 20-120+ minutes, I debit 200 saxbucks in your saxccount.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4382
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Atlas Shrugged II - Opens This Weekend

Postby saxitoxin on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:56 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Thanks, sax. You've convinced me not to watch AS1.

For saving me 20-120+ minutes, I debit 200 saxbucks in your saxccount.


Well, AS1 is probably worth it just for the costumes and sets. They were fabulous. Just watch it on mute and invent your own dialog in your head.

Also, another criticism - IIRC, in the book, the identity of John Galt was this slowly building mystery throughout the story that increased with momentum the deeper you got into it. In the film, every 10 minutes, someone would randomly pop-into the screen and say "Oi! Who is John Galt?" It was funny until you realized it wasn't supposed to be parody.
betiko wrote:your sister should know that where you get the most accurate temperature is in your anus
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class saxitoxin
 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:01 am
Location: the American Riviera
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Atlas Shrugged II - Opens This Weekend

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:52 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Thanks, sax. You've convinced me not to watch AS1.

For saving me 20-120+ minutes, I debit 200 saxbucks in your saxccount.


Well, AS1 is probably worth it just for the costumes and sets. They were fabulous. Just watch it on mute and invent your own dialog in your head.

Also, another criticism - IIRC, in the book, the identity of John Galt was this slowly building mystery throughout the story that increased with momentum the deeper you got into it. In the film, every 10 minutes, someone would randomly pop-into the screen and say "Oi! Who is John Galt?" It was funny until you realized it wasn't supposed to be parody.


Based on the latest polling data of BBS, 38% are in favor of watching the movie for the lulz and the fab costumes. 20% say NO, 10% say NOU, and the rest keep going on about opportunity cost.

Margin of error is 2%-10%, and 100% are in favor of taking saxi's lunch money.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4382
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Atlas Shrugged II - Opens This Weekend

Postby nietzsche on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm just worried Scotty has not been posting.

I do not deal well with abandonment, I'm an orphan. I have enough dealing with Lootifer not posting, even though I only talked to him once, if Scotty doesn't come back I will blame myself and have sex with any woman that asks me.
Image
User avatar
Major nietzsche
 
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Fantasy Cooperstown
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login