Conquer Club

Everything we need in a survival bag

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Everything we need in a survival bag

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:59 pm

Please post items that no survivalist can do without. I am attempting to create my own disaster emergency bag and must have great ideas that could save my life. All ideas are appreciated.

Here is what I have so far:

Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Re: Everything we need in a survival bag

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:29 pm

ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby notyou2 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:15 pm

Some ecstasy and a blacklight could come in handy
Captain notyou2

Postby 2dimes on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Space blanket, signal mirrors, flares, rope, good knife, some of those ring saws. I'd have to look, I'm not maintaining mine properly, there's some items that are likely time Xed. I can take pictures if there's an interest?
Corporal 2dimes

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:21 am

Depends on if you are wanting an "on sight" kit or a "grab and go" kit OR things to have when you go hiking/backpacking.

Hiking -- a couple of matches and some fire starter.
They don't have to be waterproof (or you can do it yourself by dipping them in wax), but need to be in a waterproof container. Firestarter can include a bit of paper, dryer lint,-- just about anything.

a whistle
WATER &/or a small water filter (both, really) & container
stocking cap
sweater, jacket, etc --enough to take you through a night for light weight "bang for the buck" -- a pair of nylons is good insulation and very light weight.
a MAP
a snack -- preferably something you don't particularly like so you won't eat it unless it IS an emergency

BACKPACKING
You should have most of what you need, just keep the above with you for "day trips". Also, try to have 1-2 days food and water left over. And, even if you know the area very well, a Topo map is a good idea in case you find you don't know the area so well.

"GRAB AND GO"
Water, preferably enough for 3 days (include washing and cooking!) You can buy it or "make your own" by putting it in clean bottles with a couple drops of chlorine and sealed/tapes. Figure a gallon a person.
soap and/or handwipes You DON'T want to get sick!
medications, plus a valid perscription. *** you should have a week or two's worth of anything critical since you won't necessarily be able to get a refill right away, particularly if you have to go out of state.
Food for 2-3 days You want things your family will eat, best NOT to get unusual stuff, expecially if you have kids. (this is the time for the can of their favorite) Cans are heavy, but usually can be eaten cold if needed. I keep dried jerky, jello with fruit and fruit cups, eradiated milk and cereal. -- but go with your family's likes.
Diapers, change of clothes for little ones any cloth can work for diapers and you can "wash/rinse" them in non-potable water (not too nasty). Blankets/sleeping bags Bare minimum is jackets, space blankets and a tarp. (to stay warm in your car or possibly in the open) A tent is nice, but bulky and expensive if you don't backpack.
Nice, but not absolutely critical: a Change of clothing (or at least underwear) -- but note, a change or two is a necessity for little ones. Toys/coloring books/cards Think simple, lightweight and a lot of different uses.
PETSDon't forget pets! Sure, your life does come first, but plan ahead so you have options. A bag of food and a carrier of some type (even one "jimmy-rigged" from cloth, etc at the last minute) can make them "transportable" at least to a shelter in a safer area.

STAY PUT
basically plan on staying put a minimum of a week, probably 2 without services being fully up and running. Include gas, fuel for stoves, emergency power source, radio, etc.
WATER: Now is the time to fill jugs of water and seal. They should last for a few months just like that. If they get cloudy, the water can be drunk if boiled or sterilized with bleach. (or just used for other things). When you get warning of an emergency, fill your tub and basically any container you havet hat doesn't leak with water (pots, pans.. but even garbage cans). Think not just drinking, but washing.

Toilets -- if the sewage system is working at all you can flush with old wash water, even polluted water (just be careful not to touch it). If not (particularly in floods), use a bucket with charchoal and some plastic bags. The bag is the liner (2-3 is even better), lay charcoal over the waste, use again, make another layer.. until filled. Be careful not to let the smells build up, though, they can make you sick over time. (if you cannot deal with sanitation, its time to leave).
Bleach -- for sterilizing drinking water, cleaning, disinfecting. Most people have this, just think of keeping an extra gallon or two on hand (or buying when an emergency is pending). Iodine tablets work for water, but are expensive and more perishable.
Flashlights and/or lanterns and batteries to run them.. OR get one of those new "crank" or solar powered ones.
Radio-- particularly with the weather channel on it. Again, they have nice ones that can run by battery, hand crank and/or solar power.
First aid kit -- you should have one anyway, but think beyond just bandaids. The key here is to also know how to use it. Doesn't do much good to have splints if you don't really know how to use them!
Medicines*** don't let anything critical get below a 2 week supply.
Food -- Think cooking without utilities. Solar ovens, sterno cans, camping stoves, etc. Few things boost the spirit like decent hot food. You can get fancy kits of either "ready to eat" or "just add water" foods, but in most cases you are better off just sticking with the types of things you eat every day, perhaps somewhat simplified. Even a few "regular" items can make a big difference in how people feel.
Games/books, etc. -- don't forget the entertainment. A deck of cards goes a long way, but think of things your family enjoys normally. Its good to have a "secret stash" of special toys and such to entertain kids in an emergency. They don't have to be fancy, just something that they will enjoy that is different. from their regular toys. (a new Lego, a new coloring book... etc.).
Last edited by PLAYER57832 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Neoteny on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:45 am

Condoms.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby KoolBak on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:05 am

"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant KoolBak

Postby 2dimes on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:14 am

I went over night to kalispell. My bud who is a rye drinker had me buy a 40 ounce bottle of Gibson's finest at duty free. I recomend it.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Nola_Lifer on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:38 am

Matches, a knife, and some kind of water filter and water holder. If you got a machete even better.

Click image to enlarge.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:21 pm

Neoteny wrote:Condoms.

In case all woman are wiped out and the bears become alluring.
saxitoxin wrote:Image

In case the bears are bigger than you. ;)

But you can not go wrong with one of these.

And you might want one of these in case their are more than one bear. :mrgreen:
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby patrickaa317 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:43 pm

taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby ManBungalow on Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:07 pm

A penknife and a submarine.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby notyou2 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:12 pm

Dental floss.....it has so many uses.
Captain notyou2

Postby john9blue on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:36 pm

all you REALLY need is a good knife
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Player has excellent suggestions, especially optioning between shelter-in-place or evacuation.

Also -

- Fruit and Vegetable Seeds - Your emergency food supplies need to be sufficient to last one year, which is how long it will take you to develop alternate food sources. You will also need fruit and vegetable seeds to begin developing said sources.

- Book on Gardening - for above stated reason

- Alcohol Conversion Kit - Your vehicle can be converted to run on alcohol that can be easily distilled from a still that even a person with minimal mechanical knowledge can construct. You will be better off if you have access to a motor vehicle while the rest of the world only can walk. Even if you do not have a car, get a conversion kit. You'll be able to get an abandoned car later from those who didn't survive.

- Firearm - 80% of the U.S. population does not have a firearm; if you are one of the 20% who do, you will not only have access to your own resources but those of 4 other people as well.

- Several Nearby, Trusted Friends - Your chances of survival are increased if part of a group than if by yourself. You are less likely to be harassed or accosted when part of a group. Also a group can divide tasks which will increase personal leisure time. If the exigency lasts long enough, your group - if they are the strongest group in your territory and have firearms - can impose taxes on your neighbors which will increase your comfort level. (No warlording, however. You can keep a majority of what you are able to get from taxes, but will have to return a small percentage [at least 30%] of the resources you get from taxes to the common good or you're likely to face a backlash. [organizing a food bank is a good idea as food will be the most appreciated commodity])

- Small Gold Coins - Some survivalists stupidly buy Credit Suisse gold bars or high value gold coins. Who is going to be able to make change? If investing in gold, better to get small gold trinkets, like jewelry, or lower-value gold coins.
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby notyou2 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:31 pm

5000 Saxibucks would be helpful too.
Captain notyou2

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:28 pm

You guys all had a good point about the matches and I've got saxi covered on the seeds.

Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:31 pm

notyou2 wrote:5000 Saxibucks would be helpful too.

You're totally right notyou2, leaves tend to be a bit scratchy and there's always the risk of accidentally using poison ivy.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:55 am

Snake venum and truth syrum.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Juan_Bottom on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:56 am

Added-

Based on suggestions -

Guns are a given. My immediate family owns about 150+ guns. But I don't live in a city or anything, and everyone in the countryside is armed. I don't feel that in any scenario we would be fighting each other for resources. More like we'd be working together. I also question how useful an edible wild plants book would be. I'm not sure that it's something I should carry?

What kind of knife do I need?
My pocketknife is an American-made Gerber folder, about 3 1/2 inches long, but the hardness is something like a 58. So it's very average steel. It won't hold an edge long. I have a couple other pocketknives, but they're all similar usefulness. But I'll always carry my pocketknife.
What kind of knife would you recommend? For example, a Kukri camp knife for chopping? Or a Ka-Bar and a hatchet? Or a serrated hunting knife? Maybe just a skinner? Or a small folder?

???
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:08 am

Fancy knives are overrated tbh, as long as you have something. Just pack a hone along with your knife and you're golden. A hatchet is way more useful if you are going to pack something as bulky as a kukri or survival knife. And instead of matches one of those flint/magnesium combos(I have one of these) is completely and indefinitely waterproof and tends to burn hotter. Bug dope maybe? A cyanide pill since it sounds like you would probably be fced anyway?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:07 am

Funkyterrance wrote:Fancy knives are overrated tbh, as long as you have something. Just pack a hone along with your knife and you're golden. A hatchet is way more useful if you are going to pack something as bulky as a kukri or survival knife. And instead of matches one of those flint/magnesium combos(I have one of these) is completely and indefinitely waterproof and tends to burn hotter. Bug dope maybe? A cyanide pill since it sounds like you would probably be fced anyway?

For the long term "revolution".. sure, but these measures are for more mundane emergencies, like floods, fire, earthquakesk hurricanes, chemical spills, blizzards, etc. -- even just longer term power outages can be a minor pain or a major threat depending on how well prepared you are.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby zimmah on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:39 am

here's what in my kit:
everything is in a single waterproof bag and some items are inside a smaller waterproof bag inside that bag (like pills and matches)

- fresh bottled water (2 bottles of 0,5L)
- reflecting jacket (to get the attention of rescue teams)
- those small foldable towels in a can
- shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, etc.
- loperamide (look it up if you don't know what it is) it could save your life in certain situations because of poor hygiene in major disasters.
- paracetamol [aka acetaminophen] (can reduce fevers and headache, but in this case it's to prevent fevers from getting out of hand)
- matches
- grain cookies, raisins, candybars, nuts, anything small and edible while still providing enough energy for it's size will do, try to keep it healthy though. oh and it should not rot away within a few days of course.
- extra socks and underwear
- a whistle (to get attention of rescue teams)
- a radio that runs on electricity generated by turning a handle, can also charge a phone with it.
- a phone
- some spare chance
- copy of ID
- tissues
- glasses/contact lenses (if you wear them ofc.)
- waterproof flashlight, preferably one that works on musclepower, otherwise make sure to get PLENTY of batteries. (can also be used to drag attention)

also, it may not be a bad idea to take something like a sudoku puzzle or something with you to keep your mind clear, a calm mind will not panic so easily and that way you won't make deadly mistakes when it counts. (doesn't have to be sudoku, but anything that works for you).

also, make sure to check the bag every now and than to see if the content is still on the best before date (the food, water and the medicines that is)
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby zimmah on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:45 am

note though that what you need can to some degree depend on what kind of emergency you are facing and what kind of area you are living in.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby notyou2 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:03 am

You need a can opener for your towel in a can.

Oh and a generator to run it.

and gas.
Captain notyou2

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,