Conquer Club

Snapshots disappearing.

Have suggestion for a new or old tool/enhancement? Come on in!

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Snapshots disappearing.

Postby Woltato on Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:05 am

Snapshots quite often disappear out of Bob. I don't know how to re-create this problem as they just seem to disappear at random.

At first I thought it could be me forgetting to take snapshots but now I always click on both snapshot and snapshot in chat button. Often the snapshots are still there in chat but missing from the snapshot menu on the lhs of the screen (never the other way around) so it seems pretty certain that they are disappearing.

I use Firefox in Windows 7
Sergeant Woltato

Re: Snapshots disappearing.

Postby ender516 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:04 am

I rarely use the non-chat snapshots, as they do not follow me back and forth between home and work, so I have no personal experience here. (I presume you are aware that such snapshots are stored by the browser on a given machine, so if you move from laptop to desktop or work to home, you won't see all your snapshots.) Once you have taken the snapshot, it appears in the Snapshot menu, correct? Do you lose all the snapshots of a given game, or only some? I am just wondering if the Delete Snapshot function is being activated somehow, or if the snapshot is not getting saved to begin with. As you continue to track this problem, double check that the snapshot you just took appears in the menu before moving on. Also, it is possible that something saved by the browser might be lost if the browser is not closed properly. Loading the snapshot you just snapped might encourage the browser to flush any caching and ensure that the information is saved.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Woltato on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Yeah I did know that the snapshots are stored locally and I only rarely use a different computer. It's a bit difficult to track as admittedly I do sometimes forget to do a snapshot. Will keep an eye out and see If I can identify a game it's happened on.

It's not a major problem as the snapshots in chat work fine, it's just more convenient using the ones in the menu for analyzing the board so you don't have to keep scrolling up and down.
Sergeant Woltato

Postby ender516 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:40 pm

Say, that suggests an enhancement to the chat snapshots: a separate scrollable window or dropdown menu with only chat snapshots in it. :cool:

Postby chapcrap on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:04 pm

Maybe you're clicking the snapshot button, but leaving the page before the snapshot has loaded into chat? Are you sure that snap was there?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby ender516 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:40 am

chapcrap wrote:Maybe you're clicking the snapshot button, but leaving the page before the snapshot has loaded into chat? Are you sure that snap was there?

It's not the chat snapshots that are disappearing, it's the other kind that appear under the BOB menu. That is why I suggested a double check that they were getting there.

Postby sherkaner on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:58 am

Hmm, there was an older bug with FF that when it crashes or closes unexpectedly, FF reverts to an older version (probably without the snapshots that weren't made in chat), could something like that be the problem?
Colonel sherkaner

Postby Tripitaka on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:09 pm

I've had the same thing happen to me in the past and then it started again a couple of days ago with a set of new foggy games I started. After I noticed the first two snapshots had disappeared I started taking snaps in both chat and using the Bob menu. While I have the third shot in chat, it has once again disappeared from Bob. I use the same computer all of the time, I check the snapshot is there after I have taken it and I have experienced no crashes or other problems with Firefox.
The nature of Image was irrepressible!
Major Tripitaka

Postby Ace Rimmer on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:33 pm

Trippy, send me some snapshots of you and I'll investigate. If you have a webcam that's even better. Serbia said it's fine with him.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby #1_stunna on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Trippy, send me some snapshots of you and I'll investigate. If you have a webcam that's even better. Serbia said it's fine with him.

I heard him say that.
12:17:31 ‹Pixar› im gonna be fappin to that all night long
10:59:12 ‹rhp 1› holy hell... that did it.. I pissed myself
15:15:52 ‹Ace Rimmer› Sackett58, I think I may get some action this weekend
15:16:05 ‹Sackett58› Right hand or left Ace?
Major #1_stunna

Postby FamBonnet on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

I am having the same problem. Suddenly all my old snapshots in bob are gone. This has happened twice now. I also use firefox and windows 7. Very strange.
Colonel FamBonnet

Postby sherkaner on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:06 am

I could remedy this by using some HTML5 in stead of greasemonkey's own way to save information (which somehow uses a firefox feature which is not as reliable), but it would need some export-code. I'll have a look this weekend.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby frank_tank on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:26 pm

i tried uninstall and reinstall bob and it worked.....

seen this before with other programs!!!
Lieutenant frank_tank

Location: outside of buffalo new york state--CC occasionally lists country as canada

Return to Tools Suggestions