Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Escape [19/5] Pages 1/9

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Escape [8/9] V9 P1/4

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:01 pm

So, anything new with this, Koontz?

The legend looks great now. It's all organized nicely. Putting everything on the right into boxes worked well. The outer glow you added to the red text helped a lot on the readability issue.

I honestly don't see much else you can do as far as graphics go. I think it looks great.
Major tkr4lf

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:27 pm

At the moment there is nothing new. I think the legend looks OK also and I think the map itself has enough on it. Placement of icons though needs to be double checked then I can go ahead and set about making sure things work OK. Right now, the green doors do not work because of the colour. My laptop shows them up as hard to see whilst on my PC, they look fine. Will get that sorted soon but I think this is going to be in game play for quite a while so the bosses can make sure it should work as it should.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thehippo8 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:30 pm

lounge 3 has a lower case L. And if that's all I can criticise then woohoo!

I think this map is epic, can't wait to play it. You can count me in any Beta testing tourney's you wanna set up!
ImageImageImage
show
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:32 pm

Hmm, the green doors look fine on my laptop. I guess it's different for everybody, though.

What about CB considerations? Do the red/blue/green doors blend too much? I guess the main area that would be a problem if so would be Lab 2 to Test Area 1.

One other thing to consider is the knives. Why the autodeploy for them? I mean, it doesn't seem like a knife would be all that helpful against zombies, so why the extremely useful autodeploy? I guess gameplay wise, it doesn't really matter that it's a knife and not, say, a flamethrower or something else, but thematically, it seems a little strange. An autodeploy is a good idea, I think. Just perhaps not on a knife. Maybe something else? Just some food for thought.
Major tkr4lf

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:41 pm

Cb tests on the doors are fine.

About the knives, with the decay, and the auto deploy, they just cancel themselves out apart from the one in the hallway which decays at -2 so with the knife -1. Sort of giving a sense of security whilst not in actuality.

Not sure if you have played the Resident Evil games (and if you haven't guessed, this map is based around them), but knives are the only weapon given in each game at the start. Flame throwers seem to much like molotovs but if you want a different one, then have a think on what and let me know.

Will get that "l" changed today with the doors.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:49 pm

Nah, the knives are fine. I was just curious about it. Flamethrowers was just something I was using as an example.

And yeah, I played a couple of the Resident Evil games. Fun stuff. I bet this map will be more fun though. Is that sad that a risk map is more fun to me than a video game? I'm getting old...
Major tkr4lf

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:57 pm

That is the truth. Last one I played I put down. Too fast now for me but enjoyed them since the first on the PS1.

EDIT:
Changed the L in lounge.
Colour for green doors works better on my laptop now.
Click image to enlarge.

As for the knives, see if any of these grab you instead.
    Fire axe
    crowbar
    wood plank
All would work just as well.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Escape [15/9] V10 P1/4

Postby thehippo8 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:41 am

While we are on colours of doors ... I find the dark colour hard to see and strange. Why aren't those doors yellow? I know it doesn't take a card carrying Mensa member to work out that the yellow card opens the dark coloured doors ... just curious.
ImageImageImage
show

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:40 am

Good point hippo, the dark doors where just that, doors that did not need a key card at all to get through. Removed them and replaced with normal territ lines to stop that confusion with players. Now, if you want these doors back at anywhere, let me know and what colour they should be.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:24 pm

I'm okay with the regular doors being their own color or having them the same as the white terit lines. Either way seems to work just fine.

As for knives and replacing them...the knives work fine. I guess if you do really want to change them to fit more thematically, then fire axes would work well. It makes a little more sense for a lab to have them about as well. But really, that realistic weapons bit is pretty much out the door when an RPG is laying about. :P
Major tkr4lf

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:28 pm

You have to have an RPG in a government lab. Official documents left over from the Nixon administration say these are the preferred weapons for mad scientist and must be installed in all Labs where the head scientist has a loony scale close to Daffy Duck.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:34 pm

koontz1973 wrote:You have to have an RPG in a government lab. Official documents left over from the Nixon administration say these are the preferred weapons for mad scientist and must be installed in all Labs where the head scientist has a loony scale close to Daffy Duck.

Makes sense to me. :P

Besides, can you think of a more fun way to kill zombies?
Major tkr4lf

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:43 pm

If I could, I would add it. Nothing like the smell of guts flying through the air.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby nolefan5311 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:03 pm

The legend needs a lot of work, but you know that. "Hold the Administration Office" needs to be changed to "Hold the Adminstrator's Office". And the apostrophe needs to be added to all instances in the legend and map. These are things that can be fixed in graphics, but you might think about getting them fixed now.

I think you need to do something to make the door colors more distinguishable. Perhaps have the outlines of the rooms the color, or make the backgrounds have the tint needed or something. But this could be just be me and my colorblindness.

You have a knife (+1 auto) in Hallway 11, but that's also a -2 decay. You'll need to do something about that. In fact, this seems to be theme throughout the map. 5 Hallways are given +2 each, but each one is a -2 decay. I would probably remove these bonuses (the top 2 boxes) since you already have an unusually high tert count bonus. I also don't like that normal rooms decay by 1; seems like an unnecessary amount of work for a playet to keep up with. I like the hallway decay though, but I do think you should trim the amount of total hallways. Hallway 20 for instance provides access to 8 rooms where Hallways 16-19 only provide access to 1 room each, etc.

The antidotes should probably be made more distinguishable. And if the point of this map is to escape this virus, I think the antidote should have a more central role in the GP, don't you think? Maybe make holding an antidote a conditional border to getting to the Helipad. Additionally, the molotov cocktails seem a little out of place and I don't think they add anything to the GP. Of course, this is zombie related, and there is no antidote after you've been bitten, so perhaps they can be removed altogether.

The Atriums take up a large portion of the central part of the map but have little relevancy in the gameplay of the map. The blue card can be had by Sec 1 and Admin 6, and there is only a beretta in the Atrium 1. Is there a chance you can get rid of Hallway 9 & 10 and perhaps funnel the winning condition through the Atrium? And maybe just trim it down to only 1 region instead of 3 of them.

What are your thoughts?
Captain nolefan5311

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:18 am

nolefan5311 wrote:The legend needs a lot of work, but you know that. "Hold the Administration Office" needs to be changed to "Hold the Adminstrator's Office". And the apostrophe needs to be added to all instances in the legend and map. These are things that can be fixed in graphics, but you might think about getting them fixed now.

Will get changed.
I think you need to do something to make the door colors more distinguishable. Perhaps have the outlines of the rooms the color, or make the backgrounds have the tint needed or something. But this could be just be me and my colorblindness.

If you have trouble then it needs to be sorted. Will look into the glow but I find it hard to justify. But it will become clearer.
You have a knife (+1 auto) in Hallway 11, but that's also a -2 decay. You'll need to do something about that. In fact, this seems to be theme throughout the map. 5 Hallways are given +2 each, but each one is a -2 decay. I would probably remove these bonuses (the top 2 boxes) since you already have an unusually high tert count bonus. I also don't like that normal rooms decay by 1; seems like an unnecessary amount of work for a playet to keep up with. I like the hallway decay though, but I do think you should trim the amount of total hallways. Hallway 20 for instance provides access to 8 rooms where Hallways 16-19 only provide access to 1 room each, etc.

The idea behind the decays is that the virus is out and all players become sick depending on where they are. If we had the ability to decay to neutral, I would of added that, but as we do not, it becomes a matter of survival. The rooms because of doors that can be closed have a lower decay of one as there is a barrier but the hallways which are large get the higher decay. I wanted to give the players the ability to have to really think about the deploys. By round 3, all armies will be at one troop so even though all players have a large initial territ count, this becomes a lot smaller very fast. So by round 5, most players should of managed to carve out an area of dominance whilst the weakest fall. The idea behind the knife auto deploys is this. The virus is killing you whilst the weapon gives you the ability to fight the undead. I did not want another bonus so troops can be added anywhere. So the auto deploy cancels out the decay in the dorm rooms and reduces it to -1 in the hallway. Remember, a knife is a weapon, but not a very good one.
The antidotes should probably be made more distinguishable. And if the point of this map is to escape this virus, I think the antidote should have a more central role in the GP, don't you think? Maybe make holding an antidote a conditional border to getting to the Helipad. Additionally, the molotov cocktails seem a little out of place and I don't think they add anything to the GP. Of course, this is zombie related, and there is no antidote after you've been bitten, so perhaps they can be removed altogether.

Will make the antidotes easier to find. As for adding them to the winning condition or making them a border, not sure I like that as it would make a map that is already complicated more so. The cocktails may be an antidote but they are that in name only. Will think about the removal. Will remove the molotovs.
The Atriums take up a large portion of the central part of the map but have little relevancy in the gameplay of the map. The blue card can be had by Sec 1 and Admin 6, and there is only a beretta in the Atrium 1. Is there a chance you can get rid of Hallway 9 & 10 and perhaps funnel the winning condition through the Atrium? And maybe just trim it down to only 1 region instead of 3 of them.

Been thinking about this for a while now. I want it to be a short cut to the main lab so you do not need to go all the way around. Before changing it though, can I get you to look at the placement of cards and doors for me.
What are your thoughts?

What I need is to keep the basic layout but have the doors and keys moved around, add some, lose some so the three main areas of the map are kept separate (offices, dorms, labs). The atrium needs to be a short cut or changed to something different.

It does help to consider this as three maps (offices, dorms, labs), all with different bonuses and abilities. When all three are balanced, then they can be adjusted to become balanced with each other. The doors and keys then need to have the ability to get at weapons and other stuff whilst giving a flow around the map itself. This may require more keys and doors to be made (more colours).
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:49 am

I have lost my passion for this map for the moment. Will try to get it back up and running later in the year, but I cannot see me making an update any time soon for this one. Please put this on vacation for now.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby nolefan5311 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:42 am

Moved

Per mapmakers request. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Cartography Assistants will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made.
Captain nolefan5311

Re: [Vacation Valid until April 2013] Escape [15/9] V10 P1/4

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:48 pm

I hope you regain your interest in this one, Koontz.

I really liked this idea, would love to see it hit Beta.
Major tkr4lf

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:36 am

I will do, but I was coming up against a brick wall creatively. Will find my mojo soon for this map and will get it into play next year.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby tkr4lf on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:44 am

koontz1973 wrote:I will do, but I was coming up against a brick wall creatively. Will find my mojo soon for this map and will get it into play next year.

Cool, looking forward to it.
Major tkr4lf

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:20 am

Not ready for a return but want to see if anyone has anything to add.

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby tkr4lf on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:04 pm

Nice update!

I like the virus carrier graphic, very cool. Not entirely sure they convey the zombie image, but they do their job and they work well with the colors of the map.

I see you got rid of the terit lines in the hallways. This does give it a nice, uncluttered look, and with the way the hallways flow, it shouldn't cause too much confusion about what assaults what.

Was the change from a green key card to a cyanish key card done for CB reasons? It looks fine, I'm just curious.

I especially like the backgrounds for the legend in the bottom-right of the map. They remind me of those sound-proofing tiles offices and whatnot have installed. It makes sense that they'd be present in a lab environment, too.

Other than that, I don't have too much to add. Everything looks nice. I like the updates you've made.

Hope you keep up the work!
Major tkr4lf

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:21 am

Thanks tk, territ lines need to go back in but have not found a style that I like and fits the map.

The cards have have just lost some contrast. That is the reason for the change. Not for CB reason.

The new zombie graphic I also like as well. It does not convey the hordes like the previous one but it is menacing.

Still lots to do but this is showing the way I am going.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:07 am

Still working on this but leave here still please.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thehippo8 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:33 pm

Incidentally, for readability, I wonder if you should make the red text white and the white text red?
ImageImageImage
show

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box