Conquer Club

[Official]H.P. Lovecraft Mafia Endgame

Housing completed games. Come take a walk through a history of suspicion!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official]H.P. Lovecraft Mafia; Day Two

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:39 pm

Perhaps insanity can be cured. I'd bet that we have some sort of psychiatric role that can cure insanity. It would make town pretty underpowered if people went insane permanently.
Captain safariguy5

Postby jonty125 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:45 pm

To the spot where now I burn.

Vodean, who are you trying to ressurect?
War doesn't determine who's right; it determines who's left.
Cook jonty125

Postby Commander9 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:47 pm

Back after a week hiatus (due to school) and re-reading.
But... It was so artistically done.
Lieutenant Commander9

Postby vodean on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:19 pm

the morning after the havoc was calm and things returned.

i didnt think i would actually be able to ressurect anyone, but hey, it was worth a shot, right!
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Postby ghostly447 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:29 pm

Hes still posting weird crap in every post of his. He is definitely insane, Im just wondering what drove him to that state.
Cadet ghostly447

Postby jak111 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Hmm, I think Edoc may have a similar thing to me, mine did not go through neither.

But I am not insane, so perhaps it is people who do not use their roles who go insane? Or maybe it's neither and scum or third party have a power to MAKE people go insane.. But what I find amusing are people who suggested people going insane back on D1. That's mighty suspicious to be right on in a mafia game...
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Postby ghostly447 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:44 pm

Not really Jak. Going insane, and necromancy, are both mentioned in the mission post. Nothing comes as a surprise to me this time around...
Cadet ghostly447

Postby vodean on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:47 pm

jak111 wrote:Hmm, I think Edoc may have a similar thing to me, mine did not go through neither.

But I am not insane, so perhaps it is people who do not use their roles who go insane? Or maybe it's neither and scum or third party have a power to MAKE people go insane.. But what I find amusing are people who suggested people going insane back on D1. That's mighty suspicious to be right on in a mafia game...

FOS for skimming
Sergeant vodean

Postby pancakemix on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:09 pm

I have a strong distrust of anyone using the language of the Great Old Ones trying to resurrect anyone.

BTW, I have no vote today.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby jak111 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:37 pm

pancakemix wrote:I have a strong distrust of anyone using the language of the Great Old Ones trying to resurrect anyone.

Vote stealer is in play then.

As far as the first post goes, I just took that as flavour not as literal insanity. Also Vodean, you're not posting your list thing? Is that forced or are you doing that to be potentially annoying?
Highest Rank:

Private 1st Class jak111

Postby vodean on Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:03 pm

he who sleeps shall fall, he who falls shall rise, he who rises has conquered.

i dont believe i was using the language of the great old ones, but rather the cosmic language.
and its not necessarily a vote stealer. it could be vote-blocker or ability blocker or something.
remember that this set-up is very non-standard.
Sergeant vodean

Postby pancakemix on Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:55 pm

jak111 wrote:
pancakemix wrote:I have a strong distrust of anyone using the language of the Great Old Ones trying to resurrect anyone.

As far as the first post goes, I just took that as flavour not as literal insanity. Also Vodean, you're not posting your list thing? Is that forced or are you doing that to be potentially annoying?

Based on other circumstances detailed in my PM, I believe my vote is disabled, not stolen.

i dont believe i was using the language of the great old ones, but rather the cosmic language.

Mmmk, but Yog-Sothoth (mentioned in your chant) is Cthulhu's grandparent. Just throwin' that out there.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby LSU Tiger Josh on Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm guessing the insanity would be some kind of horrendous PR since we are still responsible for posting our own thoughts in here.
LSU Tiger Josh
The man, the myth, the legend has returned.
Corporal LSU Tiger Josh

Postby vodean on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:03 pm

pancakemix wrote:
jak111 wrote:

Based on other circumstances detailed in my PM, I believe my vote is disabled, not stolen.

Mmmk, but Yog-Sothoth (mentioned in your chant) is Cthulhu's grandparent. Just throwin' that out there.

great ones know all, see all, do all.

yog sogoth is a god, as per my understanding. perhaps the God.
Sergeant vodean

Postby Iron Butterfly on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:41 pm

jak111 wrote:Hmm, I think Edoc may have a similar thing to me, mine did not go through neither.

From the WIKI HP Lovecraft page.

"The beings of Lovecraft's mythos often have human (or mostly human) servants; Cthulhu, for instance, is worshipped under various names by cults amongst both the Eskimos of Greenland and voodoo circles of Louisiana, and in many other parts of the world.
These worshippers served a useful narrative purpose for Lovecraft. Many beings of the Mythos were too powerful to be defeated by human opponents, and so horrific that direct knowledge of them meant insanity for the victim. When dealing with such beings, Lovecraft needed a way to provide exposition and build tension without bringing the story to a premature end. Human followers gave him a way to reveal information about their "gods" in a diluted form."

What drives people insane is learning the forbidden knowledge of the Old Ones. I do not believe power roles per say cause insanity. I suspect Edocsil hit the nail on the head. I believe Vodean is insane because he sought direct knowledge from an Old One such as Yogsothoth ( I say this because of his rant). It appears he tried to beseech Yogsothoth to raise someone from the dead but that could also be a red herring. he may have tried to beseech knowledge and his rant may be the price.

Jonty also appears to have suffered the consequences of achieving some sort of knowlege though he appears to be more coherent then not.

I stated earlier in the game that there may be varying degrees of insanity dependent on the type of knowledge sought. This is how they handled the varying aspects of insanity in the D&D role playing game. One started with a pool of sanity points, which were used up dependent on the knowledge learned.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby / on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:43 pm

VC

Vodean: 1 vote: edoc

deadline is Wed

To answer the alignment color questions.
Shoggoth was a third party win condition of some sort, if I do not specifically say "town", it is safe to assume they are not specifically "town", special conditions get special colors.
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby jak111 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:51 pm

pancakemix wrote:Based on other circumstances detailed in my PM, I believe my vote is disabled, not stolen.

Hmm, then we have a vote blocker, hopefully town, in scum's hands that'd be a bit powerful of a role to use since they could potentially end the game a day early.

Vote Vodean

I want a reason to your jibberish, not random posts. Are you trying to stall something? Trying to clog us up from a case by deadline? Either way, I wish to hear what you have to say for yourself.
Highest Rank:

Private 1st Class jak111

Postby vodean on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:40 pm

jak111 wrote:
pancakemix wrote:Based on other circumstances detailed in my PM, I believe my vote is disabled, not stolen.

Hmm, then we have a vote blocker, hopefully town, in scum's hands that'd be a bit powerful of a role to use since they could potentially end the game a day early.

Vote Vodean

I want a reason to your jibberish, not random posts. Are you trying to stall something? Trying to clog us up from a case by deadline? Either way, I wish to hear what you have to say for yourself.

the great ones are all knowing

i dont see how i am holding the game back at all.
Sergeant vodean

Postby Rodion on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:07 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Rodion: not posted yet today, likes to lay low until day 3, can we at least get an acknowledgment of the scene? Why didn't you vote for elon yesterday even though you supported the case?

I'm behind. Gonna catch up soon.

Meanwhile, regarding Elon, I never supported the case. I said you had reached an interesting conclusion but it sorely depended on a premise ("all human 'VTs' got the same role PM"). Then I asked you whether you had proof that all "humans" had the same role PM, which would convince me, but you never presented that proof.
General Rodion

Postby Kanin Usagi on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:19 pm

vodean wrote:
jak111 wrote:

Vote Vodean

the great ones are all knowing

i dont see how i am holding the game back at all.

I would be willing to bet that Vodean can't directly address the whole chanting issue. After all, many insane people don't even realize that something is necessarily wrong.

Could be an interesting new game mechanic.
Commander9 wrote:
Rodion wrote:Vote Commander9 for being Commander9.

I am convinced by your argument.

Vote Commander9.
Private Kanin Usagi

Postby ghostly447 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:56 pm

LSU Tiger Josh wrote:I'm guessing the insanity would be some kind of horrendous PR since we are still responsible for posting our own thoughts in here.

LSU. You addressed insanity and then posted "since we are...thoughts in here". Does this mean you are insane and you know for a fact you are still in charge of your own thoughts?
Cadet ghostly447

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:22 pm

I suppose if we were to assume that someone went insane, it might actually be a signal that they're not mafia or a monster third party or whatever. We know monsters don't go insane, and mafia cultists (if there indeed are some) would most likely not be given debilitating insanity PR's. Certainly not ones that would last multiple days.
Captain safariguy5

Postby spiesr on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:35 pm

safariguy5 wrote:I suppose if we were to assume that someone went insane, it might actually be a signal that they're not mafia or a monster third party or whatever. We know monsters don't go insane, and mafia cultists (if there indeed are some) would most likely not be given debilitating insanity PR's. Certainly not ones that would last multiple days.
Although now that you say that it won't work on anyone in the future. As every new case would be WIFOM as to if they are genuine or faking it.
Kanin Usagi wrote:I would be willing to bet that Vodean can't directly address the whole chanting issue. After all, many insane people don't even realize that something is necessarily wrong.
Unfortunately Vodean is being deliberately(?) obtuse in areas unrelated to that as well. So either the hypothetical insanity prevents him from giving a direct answer to anything, in which case is what use is he anymore, or he needs to get his shit together and play competently.
Captain spiesr

Postby vodean on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:22 pm

elder priests be praised, elder gods be powerful. fear is safety, respect is fear.

i do not believe myself to be insane, also, my alignment has probably not changed from what it originally was.
Sergeant vodean

Postby jonty125 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:43 am

Other stars anon shall rise

vote vodean sounds like he's trying to raise the Soggoth with all his praise of the Elder Gods, and that's not good.
War doesn't determine who's right; it determines who's left.
Cook jonty125

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia Archives