Conquer Club

Computer Help

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Computer Help

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:29 am

I left my room for about 20 minutes with the laptop open. I came back and my damn cat was laying on the laptop keyboard, again. After yelling at her for being on there for the hundredth time, I noticed that my screen was flickering with a weird green color. It seems like blacks flicker green and whites flicker pink.

I've included a screenshot, not sure if it will show up or not for anybody else, it looks like the problem is evident in the picture, but then I'm viewing it from my laptop where the problem is, so I don't know if you guys will be able to see it too.

Anyway, anyone know how to fix this? I found a forum post somewhere online about changing the monitor's refresh rate, but when I try to do that, there is nothing to change it to. There is only the one option, 60 mhz. Any other ideas?

Click image to enlarge.
Major tkr4lf

Re: Computer Help

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:06 pm

Haha, nevermind.

I got it to work normal again by just hitting the back of the monitor. A very technical procedure, to be sure.
Major tkr4lf

Postby Woodruff on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:07 pm

My grandpa used to tell me "If you can't get something fixed, hit it with a hammer. If that doesn't work, hit it again.".
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby john9blue on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:57 pm

Woodruff wrote:My grandpa used to tell me "If you can't get something fixed, hit it with a hammer. If that doesn't work, hit it again.".

an infinite loop? your grandpa would have made a terrible programmer...
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Maugena on Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:42 pm

john9blue wrote:
Woodruff wrote:My grandpa used to tell me "If you can't get something fixed, hit it with a hammer. If that doesn't work, hit it again.".

Made me giggle, breh. ;D
Renewed yet infused with apathy.
Let's just have a good time, all right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjQii_BboIk
New Recruit Maugena

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:36 am

john9blue wrote:

Eventually it will break, oh wait that's what Microsoft does, nvm.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby fadedpsychosis on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:53 am

tkr4lf wrote:Haha, nevermind.

I got it to work normal again by just hitting the back of the monitor. A very technical procedure, to be sure.

this is what we in the IT field call "percussive maintenance"... most likely you've got a loose cable in there somewhere
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby bedub1 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:49 am

fadedpsychosis wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:Haha, nevermind.

this is what we in the IT field call "percussive maintenance"... most likely you've got a loose cable in there somewhere

I doubt it's a loose cable you can just tighten up. It's probably a cable that is breaking, or one of the soldier points is breaking. This is causing a loss of contact, which causes your color problems. By smacking the back of the monitor you jarred it back into place to re-establish contact, but also weakened the joint. This process will work for awhile, but each time you do it, it will get worse, and harder to get working again, until one day you smack it so hard you break it.

It's too expensive to replace the LCD/video card, as the laptop probably isn't even worth that much. Just use it and once it dies buy a new one.

You can also hook it up to an external monitor to verify if it's an LCD problem, or a video card problem.
Colonel bedub1

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:18 am

I'll sell you a kitten which you can try plugging into the laptop. See if that works, and if it doesn't, then I'll reimburse you, but you have to pay the S&H (no CODs please).
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,