Conquer Club

Showing ID to Vote

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Should ya have to show ID when you vote?

Total votes : 0

Re: Showing ID to Vote

Postby Woodruff on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Minnesota and 12 other states have made it crystal clear that it isn't, and that the Republicans of yesterday will go the way of the Dinosaurs, and the people have taken matters into their own hands to see that the new breed of Republicans are more Liberty oriented and more fiscally Conservative.

They laughed you out of the Convention.

Phatscotty wrote:BTW, are you seriously mouthpiecing for "The Republican Party"? Lmao!

How could you possibly get that idea from what I've said?

Phatscotty wrote:Like a guy who is trying to kick out the Bush Republicans and has done more than mostly anyone to actually change the party on a local level GIVES A FLYING f*ck what "The Republican Party" says...

They laughed you out of the Convention. And you run back to them like a whipped puppy.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:31 pm

How do the poll results feel?

Any comments/interpretations?
Major Phatscotty

Postby jimboston on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:43 am

I thought we already all agreed that Voter ID was a good idea?
Private 1st Class jimboston

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:14 pm

jimboston wrote:I thought we already all agreed that Voter ID was a good idea?

I certainly didn't, and several courts have struck down voter ID laws recently, or postponed their decisions till after the presidential elections. I'm not sure it's as unanimous as you think it is.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/10/29/121029fa_fact_mayer

Is an interesting read if you're interested in the other side of the debate.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:18 pm

Symmetry wrote:

I certainly didn't, and several courts have struck down voter ID laws recently, or postponed their decisions till after the presidential elections. I'm not sure it's as unanimous as you think it is.

Luckily, Symmetry does not have any skin in this game....IE no reason to have an opinion

I bet all the no votes are 90% foreign
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Luckily, Symmetry does not have any skin in this game....IE no reason to have an opinion

You are incorrect, while this has become a US politics dominated thread, the issues involved have long been at play in the UK. British people rioted during the Thatcher years at such an imposition of an effective poll tax- paying for your right to vote.

On the conservative side, and why I find your faux-libertarianism so at odds with your position in this thread, many conservatives oppose the idea of the government collecting so much data on a free citizen for a national ID card needed to exercise the right to vote.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Woodruff on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:42 pm

Phatscotty wrote:I bet all the no votes are 90% foreign

It's becoming clear why you like the Republican Party.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:55 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

You are incorrect, while this has become a US politics dominated thread, the issues involved have long been at play in the UK. British people rioted during the Thatcher years at such an imposition of an effective poll tax- paying for your right to vote.

On the conservative side, and why I find your faux-libertarianism so at odds with your position in this thread, many conservatives oppose the idea of the government collecting so much data on a free citizen for a national ID card needed to exercise the right to vote.

but how do people tell who is a citizen when rights reserved only for citizens, such as voting, are being exercized?

Last edited by Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:57 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

but how do people tell who is a citizen when rights reserved only for citizens, such as voting, are being exercized?

I would ask a counter question- do you believe that bigger government oversight over citizens is the answer?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:04 pm

let me ask you a counter counter question. Why do you forget this is about voter security and accuracy of a necessary and primary at it's core function of government? You think just because good and smart and common sense government cost any money whatsoever, you can attack it with the large government argument?

Voting is a legitimate function of government, and the people get to decide democratically on a local level how much they want to pay for Voter ID security and efficient election systems. Like I said, we balanced our budget. Which means the Democrat governor has already executive ordered 500 billion dollars for stadiums and parks and water fountains. We are also putting a couple million into protecting peoples right to vote and making it more secure. We are aware of the cost, and also of the projections of money saved....
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Phatscotty wrote:let me ask you a counter counter question. Why do you forget this is about voter security and accuracy of a necessary and primary at it's core function of government? You think just because good and smart and common sense government cost any money whatsoever, you can attack it with the large government argument?

Voting is a legitimate function of government, and the people get to decide democratically on a local level how much they want to pay for Voter ID security and efficient election systems. Like I said, we balanced our budget. Which means the Democrat governor has already executive ordered 500 billion dollars for stadiums and parks and water fountains. We are also putting a couple million into protecting peoples right to vote.

You've founded this argument on a false principle- that voter fraud is a significant problem that needs to be dealt with, and that voter ID would help people vote. I posted above a fairly weighty article outlining the problems with that position.

Now, when you read it, if you want, perhaps you can answer my question:

Do you believe that bigger government oversight over citizens is the answer?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:16 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:let me ask you a counter counter question. Why do you forget this is about voter security and accuracy of a necessary and primary at it's core function of government? You think just because good and smart and common sense government cost any money whatsoever, you can attack it with the large government argument?

Voting is a legitimate function of government, and the people get to decide democratically on a local level how much they want to pay for Voter ID security and efficient election systems. Like I said, we balanced our budget. Which means the Democrat governor has already executive ordered 500 billion dollars for stadiums and parks and water fountains. We are also putting a couple million into protecting peoples right to vote.

You've founded this argument on a false principle- that voter fraud is a significant problem that needs to be dealt with, and that voter ID would help people vote. I posted above a fairly weighty article outlining the problems with that position.

yet more and more instances, from both sides, keep popping up of voter fraud...... and it is a problem in my state. A big problem, and guess who decides how big or small a problem it is? People from my state decide, not some Brit from half way around the world who thinks he knows our issues better than we do.

http://thebrennerbrief.com/2012/10/30/c ... ud-update/

COLUMBUS, Ohio ā€“ Three Ohio residents have come forward to confirm on the record their accounts of questionable practices by Democrats to influence voters in Ohio, a crucial swing state in the presidential contest, first reported by Human Events on Oct. 26.

Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

yet more and more instances, from both sides, keep popping up of voter fraud...... and it is a problem in my state. A big problem, and guess who decides how big or small a problem it is? People from my state decide, not some Brit from half way around the world who thinks he knows our issues better than we do.

http://thebrennerbrief.com/2012/10/30/c ... ud-update/

COLUMBUS, Ohio ā€“ Three Ohio residents have come forward to confirm on the record their accounts of questionable practices by Democrats to influence voters in Ohio, a crucial swing state in the presidential contest, first reported by Human Events on Oct. 26.

[youtubeMrERV1dPbI4[/youtube]

I answered you fairly, and you come back with this muck? Phatscotty is a troll.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:23 pm

government size is not the issue. voting accuracy is. I reject flat out your attempts to try to make this an issue about the size of government. Gov't will do their primary functions, and yes that costs money. You can't paint me into an Anarchist who wants no gov't

If you really cared about government size, you would be harping about the programs that cost hundreds of billions, not millions, with projections for future savings.

You true motive is to keep alive the only way the Left can win, and that is by cheating at the polls. The Right does it too (EVERYONE DOES IT) but especially the Left, most especially in Minnesota. Only the most hardcore Liberals and Progressives oppose this common sense issue.
Major Phatscotty

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:30 pm

Just checking in. Appears there is still no evidence that a lack of voter identification laws leads to voter fraud. Talk to you guys in a couple of pages.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:30 pm

Phatscotty wrote:government size is not the issue. voting accuracy is. I reject flat out your attempts to try to make this an issue about the size of government. Gov't will do their primary functions, and yes that costs money. You can't paint me into an Anarchist who wants no gov't

If you really cared about government size, you would be harping about the programs that cost hundreds of billions, not millions, with projections for future savings.

I care about a program that involves the government registering every citizen with a government issue ID in order to vote. It's obviously the point where your libertarianism breaks down in favour of partisan politics, and where my liberalism merges into libertarianism when it's not corrupted by silly right wing political hackery.

Would you support government registration of your fingerprints and iris scans as part of the ID card you want?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:33 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Just checking in. Appears there is still no evidence that a lack of voter identification laws leads to voter fraud. Talk to you guys in a couple of pages.

Aye, at least there's one libertarian still hanging on to to the idea that more government oversight on voting rights is a bad solution to a non-existent problem.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:government size is not the issue. voting accuracy is. I reject flat out your attempts to try to make this an issue about the size of government. Gov't will do their primary functions, and yes that costs money. You can't paint me into an Anarchist who wants no gov't

I care about a program that involves the government registering every citizen with a government issue ID in order to vote. It's obviously the point where your libertarianism breaks down in favour of partisan politics, and where my liberalism merges into libertarianism when it's not corrupted by silly right wing political hackery.

Would you support government registration of your fingerprints and iris scans as part of the ID card you want?

then you have a problem with the concept of voter registration, not voter ID, and certainly not with me or the people of Minnesota
Major Phatscotty

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:37 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:Just checking in. Appears there is still no evidence that a lack of voter identification laws leads to voter fraud. Talk to you guys in a couple of pages.

Aye, at least there's one libertarian still hanging on to to the idea that more government oversight on voting rights is a bad solution to a non-existent problem.

I think you should look at it a different way - Phatscotty isn't actually a libertarian. If he's how you would define a libertarian, you'd also be incorrect.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:41 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

I think you should look at it a different way - Phatscotty isn't actually a libertarian. If he's how you would define a libertarian, you'd also be incorrect.

I can deal with that. I don't care what anybody tries to call me or what they think I am. Perhaps it is time to accept that I actually am an overall Independent, and you will always have a hard time trying to pin whichever label is convenient at the time to label me with and then use to bash me with.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:43 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

While I'm fascinated by the internecine politics of the already vague libertarians, perhaps your criticisms should be directed more toward Scotty and his libertarian party stuff- Ron Paul and the Tea Party. You seem a little bit on the fringe of mainstream US libertarianism.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

I can deal with that. I don't care what anybody tries to call me or what they think I am. Perhaps it is time to accept that I actually am an overall Independent, and you will always have a hard time trying to pin whichever label is convenient at the time to label me with and then use to bash me with.

Symm, the results are in. The things you bring up now have already been brought up many times many different ways. The only thing left now is....

SCOREBOARD!
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:52 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Symm, the results are in. The things you bring up now have already been brought up many times many different ways. The only thing left now is....

SCOREBOARD!

Well, you certainly seem to agree with you.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:55 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

SCOREBOARD!

Well, the overwhelming majority certainly seem to agree with you.

fixed
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:03 pm

but it's common sense that voter ID will crack down on voter fraud
Major Phatscotty

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,