[Official] Classic Revamp [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official] Classic Revamp [Quenched]

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:23 am

Here is a copy of the old map I had stored on my PC, to help make comparisons easier for everyone:

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Here is a copy of the old map I had stored on my PC, to help make comparisons easier for everyone:

--Andy

So the old map must have had XML errors, because it doesn't show the connection. However, we have log proof that the connection was there.
show
Corporal 1st Class DoomYoshi
Entertainment Contributor

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (5)

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:26 pm

There are more than one copy of this map. When I did the revamp on classic article, it has got quite a few variations to it. Remember, all the logs from all classic revamps/remakes are now in as one log I think including Classic, shapes, art, cities and the current classic.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Postby Robinette on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:13 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:In game 2 there was a reinforcement from magadan to Manila (adjacent). This is a newish problem.

Ahhh... the newish problem,
we must come up with a solution for the newish problem...
otherwise, the newish people will take over everything! :P

Seriously though... it's fascinating to see this little detail surface only now!
Brigadier Robinette

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby The_Bishop on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:41 pm

I am really surprised too! More than 600,000 members! How is it possible nobody noticed the missing connection Magadan-Manila? :o
I have just a strong curiosity. How many years did you play this "classic modified" map?

Well, I don't know what you want to do now, but in my opinion the map should be changed to be the "real classic".
If I can give my suggestion... You can change Manila with Shanghai, that is the largest city of China. It's more northern and more suitable to be connected to Magadan (and also to Novosibirsk).

If you don't want to change it, well, no problem for me. I will enjoy the site the same way! :D
Corporal 1st Class The_Bishop

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby The_Bishop on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:29 pm

What an heavy silence...

Standard Achievement (1)

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:34 pm

Honestly I don't think the map will be changed again, at least not so soon.
But who knows!

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby Robinette on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:39 pm

The world is not the same as it was...

Climate Change messed up that connection, without a doubt...
Brigadier Robinette

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby The_Bishop on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:59 pm

Wow funny! :)
Probably the Japan Tsunami messed up that connection...
So now we should get rid of the connection NewYork-Havana because of the hurricane Sandy.

But I agree with waiting to make changes on the map...
In december 21th the World will be completely messed up!!

The Mayan Prophecy is coming! :o Ooohhh
God doesn't play dice with the world!

Standard Achievement (1)

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:54 am

The_Bishop wrote:I am really surprised too! More than 600,000 members! How is it possible nobody noticed the missing connection Magadan-Manila? :o
I have just a strong curiosity. How many years did you play this "classic modified" map?

Well, I don't know what you want to do now, but in my opinion the map should be changed to be the "real classic".
If I can give my suggestion... You can change Manila with Shanghai, that is the largest city of China. It's more northern and more suitable to be connected to Magadan (and also to Novosibirsk).

If you don't want to change it, well, no problem for me. I will enjoy the site the same way! :D

This would work.

However, I'm not sure if we need to change Classic. Who's to say that our version isn't better than the original?

There could always be a completely new map with the Hasbro linkages. Different theme, of course.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 125
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18)
General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:04 am

Dukasaur wrote:
The_Bishop wrote:I am really surprised too! More than 600,000 members! How is it possible nobody noticed the missing connection Magadan-Manila? :o

This would work.

However, I'm not sure if we need to change Classic. Who's to say that our version isn't better than the original?

There could always be a completely new map with the Hasbro linkages. Different theme, of course.

It would inspire new interest in the SoC as they would have to redo all their analyses of territories. It would cause the latent strategy community to publicly surge. It would cause a change in the site meta. This change would be perfect.
show
Corporal 1st Class DoomYoshi

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (5)

Postby The_Bishop on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Personally I don't think it's an improvement, I think that the missed connection creates a little worsening.
Well, the Classic map is not perfect in game-play, but it's where milions of people learn to play.
I think it's surely possible to create a better World map, but the Classic should be as the Classic is.
Or not?
God doesn't play dice with the world!

Standard Achievement (1)

Postby Gilligan on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:09 pm

The_Bishop wrote:Personally I don't think it's an improvement, I think that the missed connection creates a little worsening.
Well, the Classic map is not perfect in game-play, but it's where milions of people learn to play.
I think it's surely possible to create a better World map, but the Classic should be as the Classic is.
Or not?

Remember, Conquer Cluv /=/ R!sk
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 190
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (29) Clan Achievement (7) Challenge Achievement (3)

Postby dudesuprise on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:37 pm

=D>
New Recruit dudesuprise

Postby john9blue on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:45 pm

conquer club isn't risk... it's just a game that plays exactly like risk, has almost the same map, and has "risk" as the first word on its homepage, so that google thinks it's risk
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas