Conquer Club

Mediterranean

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Mediterranean

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:15 pm

Map Name:Mediterranean
Mapmaker(s):Maybe me :P
Number of Territories:nknown
Special Features:b unknown
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:a better representation of antiquity

So I really like Napoleonic Europe, with all its little combinations of bonuses. I think the concept could be extended to the Punic Wars and throw in the Macedonian wars too. it would cover the med. with battle markers to indicate battles of the mentioned wars. Many of the bonus regions combine differently, most of them increasing Roman or Carthaginian bonus substantially So as to encourage conflict and expansion and increase the value of acquired territories. Most of the spread would be towards the MidEast, but conflicts could erupt in Spain as well, the trouble is where does Egypt fit in, they were mostly independent until Augustus' time. I'd want them to remain mostly independent yet extremely valuable if acquired like a high neutral starting and a even higher bonus when obtained.

Basically the goal is to put players in a situation of antiquity and let them develop their bases in the traditional ancient empires of late antiquity. then throw away the script and if carthage and Rome don't want to fight three wars, they don't have to. If someone wants to turn Egypt into a major power to rival Rome, which it could have been had it had better leadership, then they can do that. a player in Macedonia can also do the same. So the map would set the stage for 4 major regions of power: Rome, Carthage, Egypt and Greece.

Players start in random places but thew dynamics of troop rewards encourage them to set up on the map empires that are similar to those in antiquity. Perhaps an auto deploy on traditional major cities of significance, so Rome, Carthage, maybe Athens though Pella was the capital of Macedon, Throw inMemphis and Thebes for Egypt. Possibly even add in Jersusalem as it was fairly significant in its time. Babylon also should be in there as an auto deploy for its significance. No barabarians if possible. definitely not groups like the huns or goths, but groups like Dacia could merit a mention as somewhere to be expanded into, same with Gauls.

So thoughts?

And does anyone want to do graphics and let me guide gameplay?
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Re: Mediterranean

Postby ManBungalow on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:30 pm

I drafted a Mediterranean map a while back which I never posted. See, I like doing the graphics, but never have gotten a gameplay stamp.

Here, I'll link what I drafted up. As you can see, I didn't get very far - particularly with the gameplay aspects shown in the second image, and the graphics leave much to be desired.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

This probably doesn't gel too well with your classic wars idea, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Could you draft up a gameplay image and I'll let you know if I'm up for it ?
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:37 pm

If I draw all over the blank to show borders and terr. names, plus bonus regions, would you be interested in doing graphics?

I'm not a fan of the ball and stick approach, so I'll be going in a more classic map style. Something like a thin line to show bonus regions like on Nap. Europe would work well with your already established graphic style in my opinion. Though I like the city icons you've got already, which could work for the key cities I've described already.

I'd probably have to print the map and hand draw over it because its quicker and my stroke pretty much ruined my ability to use photoshop with any skill. Hopefull that wouldn't be a problem, message me if you're interested.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby generalhead on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:49 am

I like the base map. it has an awesome look to it.
the glow on the outside is sweet.
it Kind of looks like this though.
I'm not hating on this idea, I love the Mediterranean. Maybe you could focus a little closer on the Mediterranean?
Maybe Just the area of the Mediterranean. You could have ports on the outside and boats in the middle?
I don't know, just trying to help.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby Nola_Lifer on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:48 am

IH how man maps do you have done and how many unfinished? Would love to see you finish some before you start more! :D
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby ViperOverLord on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:37 am

I'd focus more on the ports and water wars.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:28 am

ViperOverLord wrote:I'd focus more on the ports and water wars.

+2.99683765289

Zoom in onto the water. Have as little of the land as possible.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:16 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
ViperOverLord wrote:I'd focus more on the ports and water wars.

+2.99683765289

Zoom in onto the water. Have as little of the land as possible.

Yeah, I think I'd like that as well. The Med is a difficult shape, so there will either be portions of it left out, or Italy and Spain etc might always just have to be there! Good Luck.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas