Conquer Club

The 2s tactic v. the Concentration tactic

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Which is the superior tactic in general?

Total votes : 0

The 2s tactic v. the Concentration tactic

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:49 am

The setting is escalating 6+ player games. By '2s tactic', I mean leaving 2-man garrisons on most of your territories while concentrating the remainder on key positions. By the 'Concentration tactic', I mean leaving only 1-man garrisons (or perhaps very few 2-man garrisons) while concentrating your forces on key positions.

In other words, the trade-off is between 2-man terries and concentrated key positions. (How do you generally allocate your troops?)

The 2s tactic opts for more 2-man territories but consequently lowerconcentration of key positions; whereas, the Concentration tactic opts mostly toward less 2-man terries but a higher concentration of key positions.

(1) Which is the superior tactic in general?

[(a) dropping 2s everywhere, or (b) not doing that]
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Re: The 2s tactic v. the Concentration tactic

Postby JBlombier on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:02 am

In a 6-player escalating game, I'd say the Concentration tactic would work the best. The game is all about elimination and then sweeping, so you'll need every stack you can get to take someone out. Leaving 2's will make it a bit harder to kill you, but also makes it harder to kill someone else.
Colonel JBlombier

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:07 am

I feel as though this poll may be slightly biased.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Jippd on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:34 am

Map?
Major Jippd

Postby Fewnix on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:41 am

2s are defense in depth, when you think you will be a likely target for elimination aka you are likely to lose. In escalating spoils you worry about that when an oppo has now or may have (say by cashing a set) enough force to eliminate you and you are a desireable target for elimination, holding 3 , 4 or 5 spoils,

Concentrating your forces in key locations gives you some defense- how may troops would an oppo need to deploy to be sure to take you if you have say, three or four terts scattered around the map each medium to big stacks, say with 6+ troops o?? none near an oppo tert with 4+ troops on? , but is particularly strong on offense. three or four terts scattered around the map each medium to big stacks, say with 6+ troops on could attack in any number of fronts. Add in you cashing a set at some time, maybe not this turn, but some time, to give you a big deploy n and you could possibly eliminate an oppo, grab a set, sweep the board, yawn, another victory.
Rule 1
show
Private Fewnix

Postby jleonnn on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:26 am

For classic maps, I think it's best to establish card trading agreements.
Major jleonnn

Postby 72o on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 am

I would say the Superior tactic is the Superior tactic. I really can't see how that can be disputed.
Sergeant 72o

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:33 am

I employ all possible tactics at once. I believe this tactic is called the Three Stooges Tactic. It usually creates an impenetrable barrier, much like this:

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby MoB Deadly on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:38 am

JBlombier wrote:In a 6-player escalating game, I'd say the Concentration tactic would work the best. The game is all about elimination and then sweeping, so you'll need every stack you can get to take someone out. Leaving 2's will make it a bit harder to kill you, but also makes it harder to kill someone else.

I have more than once lost because I get some ridiculous fail dice trying to make a sweep. Or lose a couple 4v1s in a row leaving me to "get lucky" to win a 3v1 or 2v1. Every troop is needed to help "guarantee" a sweep. I would rage if I lost a dice battle I should of won, and I see a couple more troops here and there used for 2's that could of been on my stack
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal 1st Class MoB Deadly

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:42 am

Leaving 2 troops everywhere to defend against someone else's stack of 80+. :lol:
Make the stacks big and roll over the lot of them for the win.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby jleonnn on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:31 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Leaving 2 troops everywhere to defend against someone else's stack of 80+. :lol:
Make the stacks big and roll over the lot of them for the win.

Yeah but your leaving 2's down is supposed to prevent that big stack of 80+
Major jleonnn

Return to Conquer Club Discussion