Conquer Club

Romney was Better than Obama

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Romney is Better than Obama

Postby Symmetry on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:28 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I thought I was perfectly civil with my "Okay." While I disagree with your analysis, there is no value in responding because you are convinced that you are correct and will not be budged or you are trolling.

In fact, if civility is defined as a response or acknowledgement of a post, then I was more civil than Saxi because I actually responded.

By accusing me of trolling repeatedly. If you didn't want to discuss the stuff you posted, what were your intentions in posting them? Were you convinced that you were correct and couldn't be budged?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:33 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I thought I was perfectly civil with my "Okay." While I disagree with your analysis, there is no value in responding because you are convinced that you are correct and will not be budged or you are trolling.

In fact, if civility is defined as a response or acknowledgement of a post, then I was more civil than Saxi because I actually responded.

By accusing me of trolling repeatedly. If you didn't want to discuss the stuff you posted, what were your intentions in posting them? Were you convinced that you were correct and couldn't be budged?

Based on your recent posting history, I can only make two assumptions. Either you are a moron or you are a troll. I think it's more civil for me to accuse you of trolling me repeatedly, which implies some intelligence, than to accuse you of being a moron, which explicitly states a lack of intelligence. Saxi is accusing you of being a moron; I'm accusing you of being a troll.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Symmetry wrote:

I assume there was an implication of desire for a rational exchange of ideas, not the monopolization of the exchange with a conspiracy theory. When the Port Authority has a public forum, they are interested to hear a variety of views on agenda issues. That doesn't mean they want this guy showing up to spend an hour talking about how he's the reincarnation of Marilyn Monroe -

ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Symmetry on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:40 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Based on your recent posting history, I can only make two assumptions. Either you are a moron or you are a troll. I think it's more civil for me to accuse you of trolling me repeatedly, which implies some intelligence, than to accuse you of being a moron, which explicitly states a lack of intelligence. Saxi is accusing you of being a moron; I'm accusing you of being a troll.

This does seem to be your default response to criticism of late. Did you expect nobody to raise a question about the odd data? Or did you think it was some kind of period point on the discussion?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

This does seem to be your default response to criticism of late. Did you expect nobody to raise a question about the odd data? Or did you think it was some kind of period point on the discussion?

Period point on the discussion because it is not odd data. The only person that thinks it's odd is you.

Postby Symmetry on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:51 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Period point on the discussion because it is not odd data. The only person that thinks it's odd is you.

And the majority of the population of the US if we're going by Johnson's wider polling numbers. Those not employed by Pravda, that was the name of the magazine, right?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:53 pm

Symmetry wrote:And the majority of the population of the US if we're going by Johnson's wider polling numbers. Those not employed by Pravda, that was the name of the magazine, right?

Thanks - this is a great example of what I'm talking about. Either you're a moron or you're trolling.

Postby Symmetry on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:59 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:And the majority of the population of the US if we're going by Johnson's wider polling numbers. Those not employed by Pravda, that was the name of the magazine, right?

Thanks - this is a great example of what I'm talking about. Either you're a moron or you're trolling.

So you think that the entire staff of a company switched from voting roughly along party political lines- some dem, some Repub, and that dude voting Nader, post 2008 to voting Libertarian. Cause they all radically changed party affiliation, and the new boss had nothing to do with it?

I get that you want to call me a moron or a troll rather than discussing your posts, but it seems a bit counterproductive to the thread.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:19 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

So you think that the entire staff of a company switched from voting roughly along party political lines- some dem, some Repub, and that dude voting Nader, post 2008 to voting Libertarian. Cause they all radically changed party affiliation, and the new boss had nothing to do with it?

Very few of Reason's writers are paid employees of the publication. Like New Republic, or The Nation, they rely primarily on contributors. Barton Hinkle, for instance, who switched from Obama in '08 to Johnson in '12 is a columnist for the Richmond Times-Dispatch (whose editorial board endorsed Mitt Romney). Garrett Quinn - another switch - is a reporter for the Boston Globe (whose editorial board endorsed Obama).

I could hit you on a dozen basic factual and cognitive errors you're making in addition to this but it's just not worth it because it's very clear you've gotten in way over your head. I'm pretty sure you realize, at this point, how silly you're looking with each new post but you also know you've passed the point of no return and have to try to run this torch across the finish line.
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Symmetry on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:28 pm

saxitoxin wrote:Reason's editorial staff have released who they will be voting for on Tuesday -

Gary Johnson - 17
Refuse to Vote - 9
Won't Disclose - 1
Mitt Romney - 0
Barack Obama - 0
Jill Stein - 0
Virgil Goode - 0
Rocky Anderson - 0

You're arguing with your own stuff now. Are you talking about the editorial staff, or unpaid contributors?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Symm, for the 3,129th time, you don't know jack about America
Major Phatscotty

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Symmetry wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:Reason's editorial staff have released who they will be voting for on Tuesday -

Gary Johnson - 17
Refuse to Vote - 9
Won't Disclose - 1
Mitt Romney - 0
Barack Obama - 0
Jill Stein - 0
Virgil Goode - 0
Rocky Anderson - 0

You're arguing with your own stuff now. Are you talking about the editorial staff, or unpaid contributors?

Regular contributors are synonymous with editorial staff. Most have bios at the link you edited out/deleted, so there should be no confusion or ambiguity. Your claim is that you were confused, despite that. Are you looking for affirmation? If so, then I hereby acknowledge your confusion.

Conspiracy theories generally attribute extraordinary powers to certain agents ā€“ to
    plan, to control others, to maintain secrets, and so forth. Those who believe that those
    agents have such powers are especially unlikely to give respectful attention to debunkers,
    who may, after all, be agents or dupes of those who are responsible for the conspiracy in
    the first instance.
    - Cass Sunstein, "Conspiracy Theories"
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:04 pm

Major Phatscotty

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:09 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

I get that you want to call me a moron or a troll rather than discussing your posts, but it seems a bit counterproductive to the thread.

I've discussed my points at length in this thread. However, because you are a successful troll...

Perhaps you should read the content of the posted link. If you would like I would be happy to give you the name and position of each contributor to that content, as well as who they plan to vote for today and why and who they voted for in 2000, 2004, and 2008.

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:56 pm

Here you go Symm. Care to analyze this from your perspective? Given the reasons for each person's vote as well as their relative titles and who they work for, I would like some additional analysis as to why you think they are voting for Gary Johnson (if they are voting for Johnson) because of editorial pressures. I would also note that many of them are not voting, which seems counterproductive to your conspiracy theory.

(1) Peter Bagge - cartoonist and author of many graphic novels and comic collections, including his compilation of work for Reason magazine.
2012 Vote - Gary Johson "because I agree with him more than any other past or present presidential candidate I can think of
2000 Vote - Browne
2004 Vote - Kerry
2008 Vote - Barr

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has indicated a reason for voting for Gary Johnson. He also changed his vote from Libertarian to Democrat to Libertarian from 2000 to 2004 to 2008.

(2) Ronald Bailey - science correspondent at Reason.
2012 Vote - Gary Johnson. "This dispiriting and especially mendacious presidential race has sorely tempted me to [not vote]. However, as I explained in 2008, I voted for Obama to punish Republicans. I expected Obama to be a disappointment, but not THIS big a disappointment. The GOP has clearly not yet learned to value both economic and social liberty, so Romney and Ryan won't get my vote."
2000 Vote - Bush
2004 Vote - Bush
2008 Vote - Obama

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has indicated a reason for voting for Gary Johnson. He also changed his vote from Republican to Democrat in the 2008 election.

(3) David Boaz - executive vice president of the Cato Institute
2012 Vote - Undisclosed because "I tend to think that think-tank officers should keep their ballots secret."
2000 Vote - Undisclosed
2004 Vote - Undisclosed
2008 Vote - Undisclosed

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Will not disclose voting tendencies for reasons indicated.

(4) Shikha Dalmia - senior analyst at Reason Foundation
2012 Vote - Gary Johnson. "He is a pragmatic libertarian who offers a principled alternative to the statism of the right... and the statism of the left..."
2000 Vote - Unable to vote
2004 Vote - Bush
2008 Vote - Undisclosed

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons for voting Gary Johnson in 2012. Changed vote from Republican to not Republican between 2004 and 2008.

(5) Brian Doherty - senior editor at Reason
Non-voter ever

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons for not voting at all.

(6) Matthew Feeney - assistant editor at Reason 24/7
2012 - Not voting
2000 - Unable to vote
2004 - Unable to vote (would have voted for Kerry)
2008 - Unable to vote (would have voted for Obama)

Cocnlusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons for not voting at all.

(7) Nick Gillespie - editor-in-chief at Reason.com
2012 - Gary Johnson. "For whom I am totally comfortable voting. He won't win, but I hope he has a strong enough showing to make people want to learn more about limited government."
2000 - Libertarian
2004 - Libertarian
2008 - Libertarian

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons for voting for Johnson. Indicated he has voted Libertarian in each election in 2000, 2004, and 2008 "often without much enthusiasm."

(8) Steven Greenhut - vice president of journalism at the Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity. Contributor to Reason, the Orange County Register, Bloomberg, and other publications
2012 - Not voting
2000 - Bush
2004 - Bush
2008 - Obama

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons for not voting. Had reasons for voting for whom he did in 2000, 2004, and 2008 but noted he was shamed by who he voted for.

(9) A. Barton Hinkle - editor and writer for the Richmond Times-Dispatch
2012 - Gary Johnson or Mitt Romney "based on the candidate's positions that matter most in the political realm: the role of government in the life of the individual and society"
2000, 2004, and 2008 voting record intetionally left blank.

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has a reason for voting for Johnson or Romney.

(10) Rob Kampia - co-founder and executive director of the Marijuana Policy Project
2012 - Gary Johnson "because he's the only presidential candidate who intends to shrink the size of the fedreal government, which includes ending federal raids against medical marijuana businesses."
2000 - Browne
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for voting the way he did.

(11) Manny Klausner - lawyer, former editor of Reason, and co-founder of Reason Foundation
2012 - Gary Johnson "because I take liberty seriously, and I live in California - a non-battleground state that Obama will likely win by more than 1,000,000 votes."
2000 - Brown
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for voting the way he did.

(12) Ed Krayewski - associate editor at Reason 24/7
2012 - Gary Johnson "because Mitt Romney's foreign policy is too bellicose and Barack Obama has been a huge disappointment."
2000 - Unable to vote
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Obama

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for voting the way he did. Changed his vote from Libertarian to Democrat to Libertarian from 2004 to 2008 to 2012.

(13) Baylen Linnekin - food law and policy columnist for Reason's website; attorney, adjunct professor, and executive director of Keep Food Legal
2012 - Not voting
2000 - Gore
2004 - Kerry
2008 - Obama

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for his choices. Changed his vote from Democrat to not voting from 2008 to 2012.

(14) Tibor Machan - founder of the Reason Foudation, R.C. Hoiles Chair in Business Ethics at Chapman University
2012 - Gary Johnson "mainly so as to keep the libertarian fire burning - so media can call upon him to spell out libertarian positions, etc."
2000 - Brown
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for his choices.

(15) Katherine Mangu-Ward - managing editor of Reason magazine
2000-2012 - Not voting and has never voted

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for not voting.

(16) Diedre McCloskey - contributing editor for Reason, teaches economics, history, English, and communication at University of Illinois
2012 - Gary Johson "because I always vote Libetarian."
2000 - Brown
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for her choices.

(17) Terry Michael - director of the Washington Center for Politics & Journalism and former press secretary for the DNC
2012 - Gary Johnson. "I was a professional Democrat for years... [e]ven with that long Democratic pedigree, this year I will be doing what I believe the Democratic Party's founders, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, would do. I'm voting for Gary Johnson... Obama, who I supported in 2008, ramped up another hideous elective war, rammed through corporate welfare for drug companies as "health care reform" and reneged on slowing preosecutions in the assult on freedom known as the War on Drugs."
2000 - Gore
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Obama

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for his choices. Went from Democrat to Libertarian to Democrat to Libertarian from 2000 to 2012.

(18) Charles Oliver - Reason contributing editor
2000 - 2012 - Has never voted

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for his choice not to vote.

(19) Garrett Quinn - author of the Less is More blog for the Boston Globe and radio host in Boston
2012 - Gary Johnson "because my vote for president in Massachusetts is irrelevant."
2000 - Unable to vote
2004 - Kerry "because he was from Mass."
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for his choices. Changed from Democratic to Libertarian from 2004 to 2008.

(20) Anthony Randazzo - director of economic research at Reason Foundation
2012 - Gary Johnson. "The more third party candidates like Gov. Johnson can draw at the polls, the greater the possibility that the third-party-candidates-don't-stand-a-chance psychology can be broken."
2000 - Unable to vote
2004 - Bush
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for his choices. Changed from Republican to Libertarian from 2004 to 2008.

(21) Mike Riggs - associate editor of Reason.com
2000-2012 - Has never voted.

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons for not voting in the content of the link.

(22) Damon W. Root - senior editor of Reason magazine
2012 - Gary Johnson (no reason given)
2000 - Did not vote
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Did not vote

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Did not provide any reasons for his choices.

(23) Scott Shackford - associate editor of Reason 24/7
2012 - Gary Johnson "probably the first time I won't be embarrassed to admit whom I'm voting for."
2000 - Nader
2004 - Kerry
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Provided reasons for his choices in the content of the link. Changed from Green Party to Democratic Party to Libertarian Party between 2000, 2004, and 2008.

(24) Peter Suderman - Reason senior editor
2012 - Not voting
2000 - Did not vote (laziness)
2004 - Bush
2008 - Did not vote

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Provided reasons for his choices in the content of the link.

(25) Jacob Sullum - Reason senior editor and a nationally syndicated columnist
2012 - Gary Johnson "because his views are closest to mine."
2000 - Browne
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Provided reasons for his choices in the content of the link.

(26) J.D. Tuccille - managing editor at Reason 24/7
2012 - Gary Johnson. "He preresents the closest a comptent, qualified presidential candidate has come in my lifetime to representing my view of the proper, very limted role of government[.]"
2000 - Browne
2004 - Did not vote
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Provided reasons for his choices in the content of the link.

(27) Jess Walker - Reason senior eidtor
2012 - Gary Johsnon (no reason given)
2000 - Browne
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Did not provide reasons for his choices.

(28) Matt Welch - editor in chief of Reason magazine
2012 - Gary Johnson "because he reflects my views more than any presidential candidate I've ever had the chance to vote for[.]"
2000 - Nader
2004 - Kerry
2008 - Did not vote

Conclusion - Is the boss of Reason. Provided reasons for his choices. Changed from Green Party to Democrat to Libertarian from 2000 to 2004 to 2012.

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:13 pm

People reliant upon Reason for a job (not counting the editor in chief) and their 2012 votes:

- Ronald Bailey (Gary Johnson) - provided reasons other than "pressure from boss"
- Shikha Dalmia (Gary Johnson) - provided reasons other than "pressure from boss"
- Brian Doherty (not voting)
- Matthew Feeney (not voting)
- Nick Gillespie (Gary Johnson) - provided reasons other than "pressure from boss"
- Ed Krayewski (Gary Johnson) - provided reasons other than "pressure from boss"
- Katherine Mangu-Ward (not voting)
- Charles Oliver (not voting)
- Anthony Randazzo (Gary Johnson) - provided reasons other than "pressure from boss"
- Mike Riggs (not voting)
- Damon Root (Gary Johnson) - no reason given
- Scott Shackford (Gary Johnson) - provided reasons other than "pressure from boss"
- Peter Suderman (not voting)
- J.D. Tuccille (Gary Johnson) - provided reasons other than "pressure from boss"

Fourteen (14) of the twenty-seven (28) respondents need Reason to be employed. Of those 14 people, eight (8) are voting for Gary Johnson while the other six (6) are not voting. Of the eight (8) people who selected Gary Johnson, seven (7) gave reasons other than "pressure from boss" or something similar.

Therefore there is one (1) person who is dependent upon Reason, is voting for Gary Johnson, and gave no reason - Damon Root. He could be the person pressured by his boss.

For completeness sake, eight people not reliant upon Reason are voting for Gary Johnson. None of them indicated that they are getting "pressure from some Reason guy."

Postby comic boy on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:23 am

Phatscotty wrote:Symm, for the 3,129th time, I don't know jack about American politics

You have seen the light at last , dont say I didn't try to tell you.
Im a TOFU miSfit
Brigadier comic boy

Postby AAFitz on Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:57 am

Another swing and a miss Phatty, though to be fair, you were hardly Romney's biggest fan, and given the nature and results of the election, I think its very clear it was a tough choice, but still...swoosh.
Last edited by AAFitz on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby AAFitz on Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:59 am

Phatscotty wrote:It's all American's duty to give Obama the booty.

Liberty
E. Pluribus Unum
In God We Trust*

*or choose not to trust; or in any manner you should choose to trust without infringing upon the rights of others; or any God you may choose to trust. One of our founding basic principles, and one of the main reasons the country was settled at its very beginnings(minus the fact that it was here, and they were smart enough to time their arrival with the black plague, which really made it possible) was freedom of religion, which very much includes freedom from it.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.

Postby stoicbird on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:04 am

Romney is cleverer than Obama, we've seen that during the debates. Romney has more class by far and more compassion.

Face it america. You're a rapidly changing country. You know have females and immigrants deciding who runs your land. Within the next 4 decades America will not function as she has. She sat and watched the richest nations tear each other apart ignoring everything except her own interests.

I watched as a specially hand-picked group of democrats happily waved their flags waiting for Obama to make his speech. Never have I seen such a bunch of none normals in one place. That's your fucking future America, Good luck!

If I was incharge of trident I'd be giving you some of you useless fucks some friendly fire xxxxx
Captain stoicbird

Location: bedlam or sitting in the pub staring creepily at ladies

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:27 am

stoicbird wrote:Face it america. You're a rapidly changing country. You know have females and immigrants deciding who runs your land. Within the next 4 decades America will not function as she has. She sat and watched the richest nations tear each other apart ignoring everything except her own interests.
(Emphasis, mine)
This may be one of the creepier and funny things I've read in the Off Topics forum. Thanks.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby AAFitz on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:20 pm

stoicbird wrote:Romney is cleverer than Obama, we've seen that during the debates. Romney has more class by far and more compassion.

Face it america. You're a rapidly changing country. You know have females and immigrants deciding who runs your land. Within the next 4 decades America will not function as she has. She sat and watched the richest nations tear each other apart ignoring everything except her own interests.

I watched as a specially hand-picked group of democrats happily waved their flags waiting for Obama to make his speech. Never have I seen such a bunch of none normals in one place. That's your fucking future America, Good luck!

If I was incharge of trident I'd be giving you some of you useless fucks some friendly fire xxxxx

If he was more clevererer he would have won. Instead of embracing the more extreme of the conservative, all he had to do was maintain his obvious and true roots in moderate-land, and he'd have received many more votes, including possibly mine, and I suspect the majority. It was only when he jumped on the ultra-conservative highway, I decided to insure that didn't happen as much as possible. If he even picked a less ultra-conservative running mate, I may have considered it, but he went too far, and paid the price.

I truly, honestly and deeply hope that this has been a real education for everyone, and hopefully this time we can get some compromise instead of bitter in-fighting.

In any case, I would say the closest you should ever come close to being in charge of trident, would be maybe being allowed to chew a pack of it.
Too much. I know.

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:30 pm

thegreekdog wrote:People reliant upon Reason for a job (not counting the editor in chief) and their 2012 votes:

- Ronald Bailey (Gary Johnson) - provided reasons other than "pressure from boss"
- Shikha Dalmia (Gary Johnson) - provided reasons other than "pressure from boss"
- Brian Doherty (not voting)
- Matthew Feeney (not voting)
- Nick Gillespie (Gary Johnson) - provided reasons other than "pressure from boss"
- Ed Krayewski (Gary Johnson) - provided reasons other than "pressure from boss"
- Katherine Mangu-Ward (not voting)
- Charles Oliver (not voting)
- Anthony Randazzo (Gary Johnson) - provided reasons other than "pressure from boss"
- Mike Riggs (not voting)
- Damon Root (Gary Johnson) - no reason given
- Scott Shackford (Gary Johnson) - provided reasons other than "pressure from boss"
- Peter Suderman (not voting)
- J.D. Tuccille (Gary Johnson) - provided reasons other than "pressure from boss"

Fourteen (14) of the twenty-seven (28) respondents need Reason to be employed. Of those 14 people, eight (8) are voting for Gary Johnson while the other six (6) are not voting. Of the eight (8) people who selected Gary Johnson, seven (7) gave reasons other than "pressure from boss" or something similar.

Therefore there is one (1) person who is dependent upon Reason, is voting for Gary Johnson, and gave no reason - Damon Root. He could be the person pressured by his boss.

For completeness sake, eight people not reliant upon Reason are voting for Gary Johnson. None of them indicated that they are getting "pressure from some Reason guy."

Not that I'm endorsing the conspiracy theory here, but if you're being pressured by your boss to appear to support Gary Johnson, including the statement "my boss told me to" next to your vote would make it a little obvious. After all, if we can assume their boss forced them to vote a certain way, we can assume he forced them not to admit they were being forced to vote a certain way.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:43 pm

AAFitz wrote:
stoicbird wrote:Romney is cleverer than Obama, we've seen that during the debates. Romney has more class by far and more compassion.

If he was more clevererer he would have won. Instead of embracing the more extreme of the conservative, all he had to do was maintain his obvious and true roots in moderate-land, and he'd have received many more votes, including possibly mine, and I suspect the majority. It was only when he jumped on the ultra-conservative highway, I decided to insure that didn't happen as much as possible. If he even picked a less ultra-conservative running mate, I may have considered it, but he went too far, and paid the price.

I truly, honestly and deeply hope that this has been a real education for everyone, and hopefully this time we can get some compromise instead of bitter in-fighting.

In any case, I would say the closest you should ever come close to being in charge of trident, would be maybe being allowed to chew a pack of it.

50.4% to 48.1%. I think you're reading into this too much.

Postby Symmetry on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:00 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Here you go Symm. Care to analyze this from your perspective? Given the reasons for each person's vote as well as their relative titles and who they work for, I would like some additional analysis as to why you think they are voting for Gary Johnson (if they are voting for Johnson) because of editorial pressures. I would also note that many of them are not voting, which seems counterproductive to your conspiracy theory.

(1) Peter Bagge - cartoonist and author of many graphic novels and comic collections, including his compilation of work for Reason magazine.
2012 Vote - Gary Johson "because I agree with him more than any other past or present presidential candidate I can think of
2000 Vote - Browne
2004 Vote - Kerry
2008 Vote - Barr

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has indicated a reason for voting for Gary Johnson. He also changed his vote from Libertarian to Democrat to Libertarian from 2000 to 2004 to 2008.

(2) Ronald Bailey - science correspondent at Reason.
2012 Vote - Gary Johnson. "This dispiriting and especially mendacious presidential race has sorely tempted me to [not vote]. However, as I explained in 2008, I voted for Obama to punish Republicans. I expected Obama to be a disappointment, but not THIS big a disappointment. The GOP has clearly not yet learned to value both economic and social liberty, so Romney and Ryan won't get my vote."
2000 Vote - Bush
2004 Vote - Bush
2008 Vote - Obama

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has indicated a reason for voting for Gary Johnson. He also changed his vote from Republican to Democrat in the 2008 election.

(3) David Boaz - executive vice president of the Cato Institute
2012 Vote - Undisclosed because "I tend to think that think-tank officers should keep their ballots secret."
2000 Vote - Undisclosed
2004 Vote - Undisclosed
2008 Vote - Undisclosed

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Will not disclose voting tendencies for reasons indicated.

(4) Shikha Dalmia - senior analyst at Reason Foundation
2012 Vote - Gary Johnson. "He is a pragmatic libertarian who offers a principled alternative to the statism of the right... and the statism of the left..."
2000 Vote - Unable to vote
2004 Vote - Bush
2008 Vote - Undisclosed

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons for voting Gary Johnson in 2012. Changed vote from Republican to not Republican between 2004 and 2008.

(5) Brian Doherty - senior editor at Reason
Non-voter ever

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons for not voting at all.

(6) Matthew Feeney - assistant editor at Reason 24/7
2012 - Not voting
2000 - Unable to vote
2004 - Unable to vote (would have voted for Kerry)
2008 - Unable to vote (would have voted for Obama)

Cocnlusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons for not voting at all.

(7) Nick Gillespie - editor-in-chief at Reason.com
2012 - Gary Johnson. "For whom I am totally comfortable voting. He won't win, but I hope he has a strong enough showing to make people want to learn more about limited government."
2000 - Libertarian
2004 - Libertarian
2008 - Libertarian

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons for voting for Johnson. Indicated he has voted Libertarian in each election in 2000, 2004, and 2008 "often without much enthusiasm."

(8) Steven Greenhut - vice president of journalism at the Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity. Contributor to Reason, the Orange County Register, Bloomberg, and other publications
2012 - Not voting
2000 - Bush
2004 - Bush
2008 - Obama

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons for not voting. Had reasons for voting for whom he did in 2000, 2004, and 2008 but noted he was shamed by who he voted for.

(9) A. Barton Hinkle - editor and writer for the Richmond Times-Dispatch
2012 - Gary Johnson or Mitt Romney "based on the candidate's positions that matter most in the political realm: the role of government in the life of the individual and society"
2000, 2004, and 2008 voting record intetionally left blank.

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has a reason for voting for Johnson or Romney.

(10) Rob Kampia - co-founder and executive director of the Marijuana Policy Project
2012 - Gary Johnson "because he's the only presidential candidate who intends to shrink the size of the fedreal government, which includes ending federal raids against medical marijuana businesses."
2000 - Browne
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Barr

(11) Manny Klausner - lawyer, former editor of Reason, and co-founder of Reason Foundation
2012 - Gary Johnson "because I take liberty seriously, and I live in California - a non-battleground state that Obama will likely win by more than 1,000,000 votes."
2000 - Brown
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Barr

(12) Ed Krayewski - associate editor at Reason 24/7
2012 - Gary Johnson "because Mitt Romney's foreign policy is too bellicose and Barack Obama has been a huge disappointment."
2000 - Unable to vote
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Obama

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for voting the way he did. Changed his vote from Libertarian to Democrat to Libertarian from 2004 to 2008 to 2012.

(13) Baylen Linnekin - food law and policy columnist for Reason's website; attorney, adjunct professor, and executive director of Keep Food Legal
2012 - Not voting
2000 - Gore
2004 - Kerry
2008 - Obama

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for his choices. Changed his vote from Democrat to not voting from 2008 to 2012.

(14) Tibor Machan - founder of the Reason Foudation, R.C. Hoiles Chair in Business Ethics at Chapman University
2012 - Gary Johnson "mainly so as to keep the libertarian fire burning - so media can call upon him to spell out libertarian positions, etc."
2000 - Brown
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for his choices.

(15) Katherine Mangu-Ward - managing editor of Reason magazine
2000-2012 - Not voting and has never voted

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for not voting.

(16) Diedre McCloskey - contributing editor for Reason, teaches economics, history, English, and communication at University of Illinois
2012 - Gary Johson "because I always vote Libetarian."
2000 - Brown
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for her choices.

(17) Terry Michael - director of the Washington Center for Politics & Journalism and former press secretary for the DNC
2012 - Gary Johnson. "I was a professional Democrat for years... [e]ven with that long Democratic pedigree, this year I will be doing what I believe the Democratic Party's founders, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, would do. I'm voting for Gary Johnson... Obama, who I supported in 2008, ramped up another hideous elective war, rammed through corporate welfare for drug companies as "health care reform" and reneged on slowing preosecutions in the assult on freedom known as the War on Drugs."
2000 - Gore
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Obama

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for his choices. Went from Democrat to Libertarian to Democrat to Libertarian from 2000 to 2012.

(18) Charles Oliver - Reason contributing editor
2000 - 2012 - Has never voted

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for his choice not to vote.

(19) Garrett Quinn - author of the Less is More blog for the Boston Globe and radio host in Boston
2012 - Gary Johnson "because my vote for president in Massachusetts is irrelevant."
2000 - Unable to vote
2004 - Kerry "because he was from Mass."
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for his choices. Changed from Democratic to Libertarian from 2004 to 2008.

(20) Anthony Randazzo - director of economic research at Reason Foundation
2012 - Gary Johnson. "The more third party candidates like Gov. Johnson can draw at the polls, the greater the possibility that the third-party-candidates-don't-stand-a-chance psychology can be broken."
2000 - Unable to vote
2004 - Bush
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons indicated in the content of the link for his choices. Changed from Republican to Libertarian from 2004 to 2008.

(21) Mike Riggs - associate editor of Reason.com
2000-2012 - Has never voted.

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Has reasons for not voting in the content of the link.

(22) Damon W. Root - senior editor of Reason magazine
2012 - Gary Johnson (no reason given)
2000 - Did not vote
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Did not vote

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Did not provide any reasons for his choices.

(23) Scott Shackford - associate editor of Reason 24/7
2012 - Gary Johnson "probably the first time I won't be embarrassed to admit whom I'm voting for."
2000 - Nader
2004 - Kerry
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Provided reasons for his choices in the content of the link. Changed from Green Party to Democratic Party to Libertarian Party between 2000, 2004, and 2008.

(24) Peter Suderman - Reason senior editor
2012 - Not voting
2000 - Did not vote (laziness)
2004 - Bush
2008 - Did not vote

(25) Jacob Sullum - Reason senior editor and a nationally syndicated columnist
2012 - Gary Johnson "because his views are closest to mine."
2000 - Browne
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Not reliant upon Reason for a job. Provided reasons for his choices in the content of the link.

(26) J.D. Tuccille - managing editor at Reason 24/7
2012 - Gary Johnson. "He preresents the closest a comptent, qualified presidential candidate has come in my lifetime to representing my view of the proper, very limted role of government[.]"
2000 - Browne
2004 - Did not vote
2008 - Barr

(27) Jess Walker - Reason senior eidtor
2012 - Gary Johsnon (no reason given)
2000 - Browne
2004 - Badnarik
2008 - Barr

Conclusion - Reliant upon Reason for a job. Did not provide reasons for his choices.

(28) Matt Welch - editor in chief of Reason magazine
2012 - Gary Johnson "because he reflects my views more than any presidential candidate I've ever had the chance to vote for[.]"
2000 - Nader
2004 - Kerry
2008 - Did not vote

Conclusion - Is the boss of Reason. Provided reasons for his choices. Changed from Green Party to Democrat to Libertarian from 2000 to 2004 to 2012.

As Saxi pointed out earlier, the folks asked were only people who were editors under the regime, or people who the magazine considered to be solidly libertarian by the editors of the magazine.

Is it really that shocking to you that all of the people employed by the solidly Libertarian Party chief editor and all of the staff went for Johnson or said that they weren't going to vote?

Your poll indicates that my suspicions were correct.
Sergeant Symmetry

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,