Conquer Club

[Official] Classic Revamp [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official] Classic Revamp [Quenched]

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:23 am

Here is a copy of the old map I had stored on my PC, to help make comparisons easier for everyone:

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Here is a copy of the old map I had stored on my PC, to help make comparisons easier for everyone:

--Andy

So the old map must have had XML errors, because it doesn't show the connection. However, we have log proof that the connection was there.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:26 pm

There are more than one copy of this map. When I did the revamp on classic article, it has got quite a few variations to it. Remember, all the logs from all classic revamps/remakes are now in as one log I think including Classic, shapes, art, cities and the current classic.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Robinette on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:13 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:In game 2 there was a reinforcement from magadan to Manila (adjacent). This is a newish problem.

Ahhh... the newish problem,
we must come up with a solution for the newish problem...
otherwise, the newish people will take over everything! :P

Seriously though... it's fascinating to see this little detail surface only now!
Brigadier Robinette

Postby The_Bishop on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:41 pm

I am really surprised too! More than 600,000 members! How is it possible nobody noticed the missing connection Magadan-Manila? :o
I have just a strong curiosity. How many years did you play this "classic modified" map?

Well, I don't know what you want to do now, but in my opinion the map should be changed to be the "real classic".
If I can give my suggestion... You can change Manila with Shanghai, that is the largest city of China. It's more northern and more suitable to be connected to Magadan (and also to Novosibirsk).

If you don't want to change it, well, no problem for me. I will enjoy the site the same way! :D
Corporal 1st Class The_Bishop

Postby The_Bishop on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:29 pm

What an heavy silence...

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:34 pm

Honestly I don't think the map will be changed again, at least not so soon.
But who knows!
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Robinette on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:39 pm

The world is not the same as it was...

Climate Change messed up that connection, without a doubt...
Brigadier Robinette

Postby The_Bishop on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:59 pm

Wow funny! :)
Probably the Japan Tsunami messed up that connection...
So now we should get rid of the connection NewYork-Havana because of the hurricane Sandy.

But I agree with waiting to make changes on the map...
In december 21th the World will be completely messed up!!

The Mayan Prophecy is coming! :o Ooohhh
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:54 am

The_Bishop wrote:I am really surprised too! More than 600,000 members! How is it possible nobody noticed the missing connection Magadan-Manila? :o
I have just a strong curiosity. How many years did you play this "classic modified" map?

Well, I don't know what you want to do now, but in my opinion the map should be changed to be the "real classic".
If I can give my suggestion... You can change Manila with Shanghai, that is the largest city of China. It's more northern and more suitable to be connected to Magadan (and also to Novosibirsk).

If you don't want to change it, well, no problem for me. I will enjoy the site the same way! :D

This would work.

However, I'm not sure if we need to change Classic. Who's to say that our version isn't better than the original?

There could always be a completely new map with the Hasbro linkages. Different theme, of course.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:04 am

Dukasaur wrote:
The_Bishop wrote:I am really surprised too! More than 600,000 members! How is it possible nobody noticed the missing connection Magadan-Manila? :o

This would work.

However, I'm not sure if we need to change Classic. Who's to say that our version isn't better than the original?

There could always be a completely new map with the Hasbro linkages. Different theme, of course.

It would inspire new interest in the SoC as they would have to redo all their analyses of territories. It would cause the latent strategy community to publicly surge. It would cause a change in the site meta. This change would be perfect.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby The_Bishop on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Personally I don't think it's an improvement, I think that the missed connection creates a little worsening.
Well, the Classic map is not perfect in game-play, but it's where milions of people learn to play.
I think it's surely possible to create a better World map, but the Classic should be as the Classic is.
Or not?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein

Postby Gilligan on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:09 pm

The_Bishop wrote:Personally I don't think it's an improvement, I think that the missed connection creates a little worsening.
Well, the Classic map is not perfect in game-play, but it's where milions of people learn to play.
I think it's surely possible to create a better World map, but the Classic should be as the Classic is.
Or not?

Remember, Conquer Cluv /=/ R!sk
Captain Gilligan

Postby dudesuprise on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:37 pm

=D>
New Recruit dudesuprise

Postby john9blue on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:45 pm

conquer club isn't risk... it's just a game that plays exactly like risk, has almost the same map, and has "risk" as the first word on its homepage, so that google thinks it's risk
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby The_Bishop on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:58 am

OK, it looks like nobody has interest in this change.

Postby stahrgazer on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:01 am

richardvoyageur wrote:Sorry about bumping an old thread, but as a color blind individual, i'm having a lot of trouble telling the difference between the city names themselves for Africa/Asia & Oceania. Is there any way to use color blind maps instead of the normal one or some other way to help guys like me?

This question came up in the Classic and Classic Style Maps strategy guide.

I'm not color blind, per se, but I also have difficulty reading Africa region names during gameplay - which makes it much harder for those using pulldowns rather than clickies, and I know others have a similar problem.

So, how hard would it be to adjust the color of the Africa zone region names to help folks be able to read the names? Granted, some of the enhanced tools available for Firefox users lessen the problem - and I did suggest these to richard - but still, changing the color of the city names in Africa could help many players actually be able to read the map as they play it.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby aeronautical on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:27 am

hey need a graphic map maker? How is The_Bishop?
Private aeronautical

Postby The_Bishop on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:07 pm

The_Bishop what? Did you ask if I feel good or if I know your graphic skills or what?
Sorry Aero I can't understand. English is not my 1st language.

Previous

Return to The Atlas