Conquer Club

The Movie of 2012

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

The Movie of 2012

Postby x-raider on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:59 am

In 10-15 years, what do you think will be commonly recorded as "The Movie of 2012"?

Just some thoughts:

Already made box-office records this year:

The Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises

Not sure if they'll still be popular then

and coming up...
The Hobbit (Part 1)
Les Miserables (An epic adaption of the musical starring Hugh Jackman and Russel Crowe... and Anne Hathaway if you like)
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Re: The Movie of 2012

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:55 am

For the record, I hate super hero movies...but TDKR is the best movie of the year, easily and for alllll time!

The movie mirrors reality in so many ways, tis truly a work of art!
Major Phatscotty

Postby dyrtydog on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:04 pm

how do you insert video clips like that? I see people inserting pictures and video, and am curious how it is done.

I think the Hobbit will be the year's best movie...look what Lord of the Rings did !
Lieutenant dyrtydog

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:09 pm

SKYFALL
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:32 pm

DJANGO UNCHAINED MOTHERFUCKER
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Gilligan on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:40 pm

dyrtydog wrote:how do you insert video clips like that? I see people inserting pictures and video, and am curious how it is done.

I think the Hobbit will be the year's best movie...look what Lord of the Rings did !

I agree.

As amazing as The Avengers and The Dark Knight Returns were, Lord of the Rings has left a tremendous mark on film making. And after its 9 year hiatus or whatnot, I can't imagine this movie NOT being a hit even if it isn't as good as the original trilogy.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Gilligan wrote:
dyrtydog wrote:how do you insert video clips like that? I see people inserting pictures and video, and am curious how it is done.

I agree.

As amazing as The Avengers and The Dark Knight Returns were, Lord of the Rings has left a tremendous mark on film making. And after its 9 year hiatus or whatnot, I can't imagine this movie NOT being a hit even if it isn't as good as the original trilogy.

It's Dark Knight RISES!!!

Major Phatscotty

Postby whitestazn88 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:00 am

Hobbit or Les Mis will probably have the longest lasting appeal.

TDKR and Avengers were good, but will undoubtedly be rebooted for the next generation of kids, thereby nullifying their status

Django Unchained, Prometheus, Skyfall are also worthy contenders, but the first two only because of our society's current infatuation with the directors, a feeling which could change with time, and infatuation with the character in the latter, also something that could change with time.

I'm sure there are a bunch of other great films to be considered. I for one have Moonrise Kingdom up there (Wes Anderson fanboy), Argo was great (Ben Affleck as director fanboy), and Looper was both impressive and original.

Then again, whatever movies are nominated for Best Picture will probably stand the test of time longest, as people will have reason to go back and watch them (as trivial as it may be to just watch the Best Picture winner and/or nominees just for the sake of it).
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:35 pm

Why is Django unchained mentioned here?

The movie isn't even out yet?????

....And Django Unchained becomes an almost sadistically literal example of exploitation at its most unironic. C-
Major Phatscotty

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:58 pm

I thought Argo was a tremendous movie.

Cloud Atlas was remarkably innovative.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:10 am

The Hobbit's Metascore is only 58. It probably won't have lasting appeal. Even the fist trilogy is dated. That's the problem with special effects, after a couple years they look cheesy.

I think Hunger Games will be movie of the year in the history books, the series has great potential. Also, cabin in the woods is destined to be a cult classic.

Battleship was most underrated of the year.

Avengers will probably keep appeal for a decade.

John carter will be the biggest flop ever for years to come.
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:12 am

DoomYoshi wrote:The Hobbit's Metascore is only 58. It probably won't have lasting appeal. Even the fist trilogy is dated. That's the problem with special effects, after a couple years they look cheesy.

I think Hunger Games will be movie of the year in the history books, the series has great potential. Also, cabin in the woods is destined to be a cult classic.

Did you see TDKR?
Major Phatscotty

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:14 am

Phatscotty wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:The Hobbit's Metascore is only 58. It probably won't have lasting appeal. Even the fist trilogy is dated. That's the problem with special effects, after a couple years they look cheesy.

Did you see TDKR?

I saw the entire trilogy opening night.

It was a good movie, but not nearly as good as Batman Begins.
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:22 am

No opinion on the Hobbit yet. But good effects look good years later, even when you know they could do better now. I'm kinda hoping the Hobbit isn't really all about effects.
Hunger Games, saw the beginning half hour, yawned, left.
Battleship, can't comment except it is the silliest premise for a movie ever. Could be wrong, but I wasn't even remotely tempted to see it.
Avengers - far better than I expected, I was impressed.
John Carter - a flop yes, but not because it was crap. I loved it (some nerdy JC fanboy reservations, but overall very impressed).
Did I mention "Best Exotic Marigold hotel" yet?
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:49 am

jonesthecurl wrote: Did I mention "Best Exotic Marigold hotel" yet?

That was good.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby muy_thaiguy on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:05 am

Battleship only had one good scene, and that was when the USS Missouri opened fire on the enemy ship.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:06 am

Dukasaur wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote: Did I mention "Best Exotic Marigold hotel" yet?

That was good.

Yeah. Not a great film, not a classic. But it contained the best acting I saw this year, and for me at the end of the day that's what's important.

I'm finindg it really frustrating that I can't find anyone showing Quartet, also an action-free movie starring a ton of old Brits (including this time Billy Connolly, a comedy hero of mine). It's particularly intruiging to me, 'cos I saw this on stage a long while ago and hated it. I'd assumed it was the play that was crap but on reflection maybe it was just the actors. Google it, and take a look at the stellar cast. All old (very old) fogies, but each of 'em with more talent that a bevy of most "star" names.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Bill Murray as FDR. He needs to redeem himself from some of the dulllllll crap he's done in recent years.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby Symmetry on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:40 am

I'm not sure if I saw many movies that really stood out this year, but Safety Not Guaranteed was probably the best of the ones that I did see. Avengers was lots of fun, and the Dark Knight Rises was well made, but comes 2nd or 3rd in the Nolan trilogy.

Did anyone see Lincoln? I've heard good things.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:54 am

DJANGO UNCHAINED
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby whitestazn88 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:13 pm

Army of GOD wrote:DJANGO UNCHAINED, N****

FTFY
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby strike wolf on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:28 pm

Either Dark Knight Rises or The Hobbit. I would hope for The Dark Knight but any Tolkien related movie seems to have a big impact. of course I have not seen Les Miserables, so I can't say anything about it.,
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby pimpdave on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:10 pm

I have a long post about this in the McGill SUPER SECRET PRIVILEGED FORUM broken down by best of every sub-genre, because I saw a lot of movies in the theater this year.

Django Unchained had one of my favorite performances of the year (Samuel L. Jackson), but Daniel Day-Lewis is by far still the best working actor out there. I'll be fondly remembering (and citing) his scene in Lincoln when he interrupts the war room for a long time to come.

Which of course leads me to say, God Bless liberals like Abraham Lincoln, if only the Republicans didn't turn evil and had stayed liberal. Instead, they betrayed such a great man. WHY HOW DARE THEY!
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:44 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:DJANGO UNCHAINED, N****

FTFY

TWO GUNS, N*GGA

One of the only movies I saw this year was Django but it was everything I could hope for in a Tarantino movie: awesome acting by Sammy Jack, Christophe Waltz (who is now one of my favorite actors despite him only being in Django and Ingloroius), Foxx and others, awesome music, awesome action and horrific acting by Tarantino (seriously, what was the point of his Australian accent?).

I also saw the Dark Knight Rises but didn't think that was nearly as good as the Dark Knight. I bet I would very much enjoy the Hobbit whenever I see it (I loved the LOTR series) but Django was just awesome.

In the middle of it I was hoping for someone to come out with a slave rebellion movie (like, chronicle the life of Nat Turner) instead of just a single slave getting revenge.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby ManBungalow on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Films from 2012 which I've seen:

The Dark Knight Rises
Avengers
Prometheus
Hunger Games
The Hobbit
Skyfall

Prometheus and the Hunger Games were forgettable, and the Avengers isn't really my thing.

Aggregate Bungalow score:

1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. The Hobbit
3. Skyfall
Not really bothered: Hunger Games/Avengers/Prometheus
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby pimpdave on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:31 pm

Avengers was a little overrated.

I'm not seeing enough love for Dredd in this thread. You'd think Phatscotty especially would be all into a violent fascist autocrat.
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,