Conquer Club

CC Dispatch [Issue 83: 15-11-2012] Crowning Glory

All issues of the newsletter.

Moderator: Community Team

CC Dispatch [Issue 83: 15-11-2012] Crowning Glory

Postby thehippo8 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:50 pm

Welcome Comrades to the 83rd edition of the Dispatch :)

It's been a shakeup here in the Dispatch. It's goodby to Victor Sullivan ... and so many thanks from all of us at CC! You brought us so much, and now you've gone. We wish you all the best on your next big project in life.

For my sins I receive the reins as your new Chief. So any problems are now my fault and any praise please direct to the diligent team. As to the Team, Leehar has taken over Clans - a true expert in that Forum, kiintz1973 takes his rightful place as Exec in the Foundry while I am looking after Strategy for now. I am also pleased to announce a return of the INTERVIEWS!! :D This issue we have TheCrown telling it like it is. A man of depth and intrigue!

We also have TWO competitions. Another episode from Foundry and a chance to stamp your mark in Clans!!

I reconsider the Mentoring Project and Scorba's brilliant exposition on how to play escalating spoils. A veritable smorgasbord of information from the Tournament, Foundry and Clan teams. So much to read, too much to review here. Delve in everyone ... boots and all! And please give us your feedback in the thread.

In the words of Smauel Butler:

Life is like music, it must be composed by ear, feeling and instinct, not by rule.

Enjoy the fruit of our labouring fingers!

thehippo8
Chief Executive

If you would like to apply to join the news team, please visit the thread below for more details! :) But a special callout for those Tournament experts to make yourself known now to Dukasaur. Your talent is required!

Click here for Recruitment Details...

Welcome back readers. My apologies for not being able to get out an interrogation the last couple of issues. We've got TheCrown up for this issue, and he talks about his name, maps, and medals.
You Stay Classy, CC.

safariguy5
Freestyle Executive

The Scum Insider by safariguy5
show

show: Interrogation of TheCrown

Welcome one and all to my second helping of bringing you the Strategy Division.

This is the stuff that's important, so listen up!!

I have a look at the Mentoring Pilot Project. After sending out some PMs I received some interesting feedback. Have a read for yourself and do please post your own comments or thoughts.

I also have a look at Scorba's Tacticus Escalatus in the second article in the Collected Wisdon series. One very clever man that Scorba. And, I have to add, not only did I learn something but by jingos what he says works! So whether your serious or whether you are here just for fun, there's something for everyone here!

Stay clever!

thehippo8
Temporary Strategy Executive

Mentoring Pilot Project by thehippo8

show

Collective Wisdom Series: Scorba's Tacticus Escalatus by Scorba with commentary from thehippo8
show

Hello again my friends, and welcome to your favorite part of the Newsletter, "War Games", where you can find information about CC Tournaments!

I'm very pleased to announce that there is now a contest where You Can Design the Season 3 TPA Cup! Just click that link and have a look!

In this issue:
  • I present an interview with long-time Tournaments afficionado musteriuz.
  • Generalhead, actually a new reporter recruited by the Foundry section, gives us a guest article about his experiences hosting a tournament and advice for first-timers.
  • DaveH presents the twenty-seventh (!!!) installment in his Tournament Tips.
  • ... and his regular look at the TPA.
Enjoy!

Dukasaur
Tournament Executive

Meet the Tournament Winners: Musteriuz by Dukasaur
show

Down the Rabbit Hole; Hosting a tournament by generalhead
show

Tournament Tips by DaveH
show: Automating a Round Robin Tournament.

TPA Wrap by DaveH
show

We are all so used to seeing thehippo8 name associated as Newsletter Foundry Executive that it seems just plain weird to see anything else. Anything else other than his promotion to King of the river that is!Image Congrats hippo on the promotion! So now it is my fifteen minutes of fame.Image

Now, down to business, this issue I would like you all to welcome generalhead who has come on board to help us flesh out what can only be described as the best part of the dispatch. ;) He has gotten of to a flying start with a look at his map in the foundry now. We have another competition for all you eager beavers. And after lasts issue calamity, we will be stricter on the medals. :lol: Classic Cities comes to Conquer Club for the first time with a look at Jakarta and Sydney in New beta maps. Another run down of Maps in Development. Lots of movement over the last two weeks, so make sure you see where your favourite map is this week. Be honest, how many of you spotted the mistake on the Classic map? Well the bishop spotted it. :roll:
    Q. What do John Wayne and a map key have in common?
    A. Both are legends. :mrgreen:

koontz1973 -- Foundry Executive

Maps in Development. koontz1973
show

My Attempt at Map Making generalhead
show

New Beta Maps by koontz1973
show

A Classic Mistake
show

Foundry Dispatch Competition by koontz1973
show

This fortnight in Clans has seen the conclusion of the majority of Clan League 4 with only Division 1's final left on the agenda.
CC3 also reaches boiling point as the battles in the Quarter-finals heat up!
I'm excited to document Random League 2 results, and I'll admit to some bias in my narrative on the 1v1 challenge :)

My name has also been praised and lamented in equal measure (ok, perhaps more disdain) in the AoC vs Emp & Otp vs Myth threads, so with my exams complete, I am free to cast my lightning bolts on those who try to blemish my perfect visage 8-)

Leehar
Clan Executive

Clan League 4
show

Conquer Cup Quarterfinals
show

Random League 2
show

1v1 Challenge Semi-finals
show

How Much War is Enough? by Swifte
show

Stay Tuned for the next issue of the ConquerClub Dispatch for an interrogation of El_Jefe. Post any questions you may have for them here --> Interrogation with El_Jefe

Submitting Your Own Articles

If you have a story you think the ConquerClub Community would find interesting, you can submit your articles to thehippo8 and you may just see your article published in the Newsletter!

Subscription

Did you enjoy this Issue? Have you subscribed to the Newsletter yet?

If you want each and every issue of the ConquerClub Dispatch delivered right into your Inbox, then Subscribe Here!

ConquerClub Dispatch Team

ImageImageImage
show
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Re: CC Dispatch [Issue 83: 15-11-2012] Crowning Glory

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:04 am

Operation Drug War
Bamboo Jack
American Civil War
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Swifte on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 am

Map 1: Operation Drug War
Map 2: Bamboo Jack
Map 3: American Civil War
Colonel Swifte

Postby Swifte on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 am

awww nuts
Colonel Swifte

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:21 am

Swifte wrote:awww nuts

:)
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:30 am

Two things, who is kiintz1973?

Secondly, well done Dukasaur. Shiny medal coming your way.

Next issue is going to be a lot harder.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thehippo8 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:21 am

koontz1973 wrote:Two things, who is kiintz1973?

Secondly, well done Dukasaur. Shiny medal coming your way.

Next issue is going to be a lot harder.

Ah ... my editing skills are not so good when I'm on the fly ... lol.

Also, I should have said that Safariguy of course continues to head Freestyle and Dukasaur valiantly runs the Tournament division ... hippos ... huh ... can't live with them .. can't shoot them ...
ImageImageImage
show

Postby ckyrias on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:06 am

ck was asleep again!! you need to adjust the time of posting guys!! well done duke

and yes kiintz1853.. it was very easy this time!

Sergeant ckyrias

Postby smegal69 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:45 am

Dukasaur wrote:Operation Drug War
Bamboo Jack
American Civil War

yea what he said, but a couple hours to late......but did he have inside information? :-s
Lieutenant smegal69

Location: Doing Hard Time on "The ROCK", in the southern ocean

Postby thehippo8 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:21 am

Here's a suggestion ... maybe we can have a 24 hour delay between posting the issue and when people are allowed to answer the comp (a bit like manual deployment)?
ImageImageImage
show

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:47 am

smegal69 wrote:
Bamboo Jack
American Civil War

yea what he said, but a couple hours to late......but did he have inside information? :-s

Let me ask but you might be onto something.
thehippo8 wrote:Here's a suggestion ... maybe we can have a 24 hour delay between posting the issue and when people are allowed to answer the comp (a bit like manual deployment)?

No, just making it a lot harder.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby BGtheBrain on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:21 am

Nice job
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:55 am

smegal69 wrote:
Bamboo Jack
American Civil War

No, we deliberately changed it so that the contest isn't posted in the newsletter office ahead of time. Only koontz and hippo know what the contest will be before the moment it hits the Announcements. I saw it here first, just like you did.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Bones2484 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:29 pm

TheCrown wrote:Q. What's gonna happen if G1 wins our war?
Unforetunately I think G1 is going to win... we've had a rough couple of weeks as a clan as a lot of people are going on or have gone on vacation. Plus, one of our strongest silent members got banned somehow and got booted from all his games. I had put him in a lot in the 1st 2 rounds, so I think that is going to be the decider and why we lose. G1 is playing tough though, and I don't understand why we can't dominate them. Also, I think it will suck when we lose because that will give Gilligan another medal and he will be the medal-god sometime soon or it will pad his lead.

A lot of this seems rather short-sighted. Your "strongest silent member" who was banned was only banned from two active games in the challenge, and those two games were all but wrapped up. You won one game, we won the other. So saying that is the decider is rather insulting since it didn't affect the challenge one bit.

Anyways - the challenge is not over and either side could still take it. Anyone who thinks they can "dominate" us better come prepared to play. We might take things easy and encourage participation from all our members, but don't forget that we've beat (or tied) some of the best clans on the site and we've been together for nearly 5 years.
Major Bones2484

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:26 pm

There should be an alert of when the newsletter is about to come out. People can set their alarm clocks etc.
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:52 am

DoomYoshi wrote:There should be an alert of when the newsletter is about to come out. People can set their alarm clocks etc.

It should come out on the 1st and 16th of every month. No idea on how the hippo decides to publish it and a certain time but he is away and Leehar is going to publish the next one. That should give us a different time.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:30 am

DoomYoshi wrote:People can set their alarm clocks etc.

A quick way to do that:

viewtopic.php?f=429&t=117941#p2605120
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby IcePack on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:40 am

We also have TWO competitions. Another episode from Foundry and a chance to stamp your mark in Clans!!

I dont see any clan competition?

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Leehar on Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:17 am

IcePack wrote:

I was curious about that as well.
Since he'll be away for the next fortnight, we may not get an answer anytime soon, but I assume he meant Tourneys, and their TPA design contest underway
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby TheCrown on Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:23 am

Bones2484 wrote:
TheCrown wrote:Q. What's gonna happen if G1 wins our war?
Unforetunately I think G1 is going to win... we've had a rough couple of weeks as a clan as a lot of people are going on or have gone on vacation. Plus, one of our strongest silent members got banned somehow and got booted from all his games. I had put him in a lot in the 1st 2 rounds, so I think that is going to be the decider and why we lose. G1 is playing tough though, and I don't understand why we can't dominate them. Also, I think it will suck when we lose because that will give Gilligan another medal and he will be the medal-god sometime soon or it will pad his lead.

A lot of this seems rather short-sighted. Your "strongest silent member" who was banned was only banned from two active games in the challenge, and those two games were all but wrapped up. You won one game, we won the other. So saying that is the decider is rather insulting since it didn't affect the challenge one bit.

Anyways - the challenge is not over and either side could still take it. Anyone who thinks they can "dominate" us better come prepared to play. We might take things easy and encourage participation from all our members, but don't forget that we've beat (or tied) some of the best clans on the site and we've been together for nearly 5 years.

Not meant to be insulting... I only saw he was in 10 games and just figured him being banned was a big part of the war. :mrgreen:
Colonel TheCrown

Postby Swifte on Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:10 pm

Leehar wrote:
IcePack wrote:

I was curious about that as well.
Since he'll be away for the next fortnight, we may not get an answer anytime soon, but I assume he meant Tourneys, and their TPA design contest underway

Agreed - the second competition is about designing the TPA cup. Not clans.
Colonel Swifte

Postby thehippo8 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Yes, stupid hippo ... I meant the Clan Cup comp ... sorry for the confusion!
ImageImageImage
show

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:56 pm

thehippo8 wrote:Yes, stupid hippo ... I meant the Clan Cup comp ... sorry for the confusion!

Lol!

Dammit, you senile artiodactyl!

It is the:

TPA 3 Cup Design Contest

No Clans!
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ender516 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Why is this issue only accessible from the Announcements? I remembered seeing the headline on the home page, but since I was already on the forum index, I decided to click in through the Conquer Club Newsletter forum, then the Newsletter Issues subforum, and.... nothing.

Another good issue, anyway.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Swifte on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:21 pm

ender516 wrote:Why is this issue only accessible from the Announcements? I remembered seeing the headline on the home page, but since I was already on the forum index, I decided to click in through the Conquer Club Newsletter forum, then the Newsletter Issues subforum, and.... nothing.

Another good issue, anyway.

This may not give you the 'why' you're looking for, but it does seem to be intentional, according to this post from Sully in the Newsletter Issues forum:

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=430&t=177805
Colonel Swifte

Next

Return to Newsletter Issues