Fighting cooks.

Information on tactics, scenarios, and all that you'll need to be successful in-game!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Fighting cooks.

Postby 72o on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:29 am

puppydog85 wrote:
72o wrote:no forting until round 4? what kind of rule is that?

Well, when I was learning to play esc. the best place to learn was stringybeany's thread. I exaggerated slightly but the general idea was to not stack so early on in the game.
Here is the link. http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=28523

Yes, this is a rankist thread. The problem with racism is extrapolating data from totally irrelevant data (color of skin). We are talking about the quality of play here and your ranking is most certainly relevant to the discussion.

"DO NOT GATHER YOUR TROOPS INTO PILES"?!

WTF? That's what you're supposed to do. Maybe stringy should leave the strategy guides to the strategerists.
Sergeant 72o

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (5)

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:50 am

agentcom wrote:
Chewie1 wrote:

We were all cooks once :-$

Not true

This is true, you could win enough of your "?" games to go boom straight over cook rank.
I was a cook once though. ;)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby skychaser on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Viceroy63 wrote:Skychaser; you made a type-o. You are "born" or come into CC with 1,000 points not 100. So if you win your first few games you enter CC with a rank of Corporal but no higher I think.

also I agree with your cooks assessment and strategy. I personally do not Foe people for not knowing how to play, just their attitude. I also try to use their unexpected plays and just stay out of their way and try to be in a position where I can benefit from their recklessness. It comes down to knowing your opponents. That is the first step in strategy.
Know thy enemy and know yourself and in a hundred battles you will never be in peril - Sun Tzu.
If The Greatest Strategist(aside from Zhuge Liang from the Romance) says so I can't say otherwise, that's it.

Skychaser; I see that you are relatively new to the site just like I am but you have a deep understanding of principles of strategy. Have you ever thought of a clan? AQoH, (A Question Of Honour), is also a relatively new clan looking for players just like you. You can do well in a clan that is looking to be at the top of the food chain by turning good players into top players.

Check us out and let us know.

I shall check it out.
Colonel skychaser

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby skychaser on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:02 pm

I think my first rank was corporal. Don't remember too well for I didn't understand ranking at that time.
Colonel skychaser

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby spiesr on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:12 am

skychaser wrote:I think my first rank was corporal. Don't remember too well for I didn't understand ranking at that time.
Not possible. To be of Corporal rank or higher you must have 10 completed games. Once a New Recruit has finished 5 games they become one of the following depending on points: Cook, Cadet, Private, Private 1st Class.
Lieutenant spiesr
Suggestions Moderator
Suggestions Moderator

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (5) General Contribution (2)

Postby Viceroy63 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:59 pm

I left my comments in that other thread as pertaining to that strategy. Here is the link below...

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=28523&p=3923486#p3923486

But that guy, the OP, (Original Poster) did not know the best strategy to escalating spoils game. And since others called him on that then I felt no need to join in the pouncing. =)
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (1) Training Achievement (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby puppydog85 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Viceroy63 wrote:I left my comments in that other thread as pertaining to that strategy. Here is the link below...

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=28523&p=3923486#p3923486

You do realize that the last post on that thread was made in 2008? I doubt anybody reads it anymore.
Major puppydog85

Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (7) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (6)

Postby Viceroy63 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:19 pm

LOL. Oops; Did not see that part. :D

But as I understand it, when ever a comment is made, even on an old thread, it is surfaced to the top of the thread!? I could be wrong. But anyways' it was mentioned in this thread so I figured, why not address it in that one?

It is interesting to note that the SoC was in formation about that time and so the strategy that people had were not yet evolved to perfection. That explains the erroneous strategy that the OP had at the time. His rank now suggest that he learned his lesson well. =)
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (1) Training Achievement (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby skychaser on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:19 pm

When was this site launched?
Colonel skychaser

Postby agentcom on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:31 pm

ca. 2006, I believe
Colonel agentcom

Medals: 69
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (2)

Postby skychaser on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:15 am

Hahah. I didn't even know risk existed by the time. I was introduced to the shitty version called WAR at 2009 I guess. Never played at the table.
Colonel skychaser

Postby JediJoe on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:17 am

LOL, this is a hilarious thread OP. I was cracking up while reading your opening post. I've tended to focus more on 2000+ games lately (tons of games come through weekly to join), but sometimes I'll dip into public 8 player World 2.1 or Europe WW2 map for shits and giggles.

Cook's unpredictability can be a boon or a bane, considering how you handle them. I tend to use a lot of diplomacy in games, being pretty vocal. A lot of times this doesn't work well with cooks - it gives them a big target to focus on. I've learned to try to keep my mouth shut in games with lots of low level players (unless they piss me off - I just can't help it then), and stay under the radar. This is where my preference to fog games helps.

If you do need to communicate a common strategy with a cook to take out a larger threat - kill'em with kindness. Offer them some hope if they pull it off - makes a huge difference. Lay out a rational plan, and see if they take the bait. Works on higher ranked players too sometimes :). A little talk can go a long way.
Brigadier JediJoe

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2)

Postby puppydog85 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Actually, I sometimes lay out irrational plans for them (to my advantage of course). Sometimes they go for it. At the very least it is entertaining.
Major puppydog85

Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (7) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (6)

Postby skychaser on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:43 am

I think a lot of people lay out irrational plans lol.
Count me in.

I play mostly 8 players games with random people so many times I have to deal with weak players. Most recently I engaged at a championship whith lots of them and I think keeping my fingers shut really works out.
Colonel skychaser

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:19 am

skychaser wrote:I think a lot of people lay out irrational plans lol.

In real life, too.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 125
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18)
General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (31)

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy