Conquer Club

Comics

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Comics

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:58 am

x-raider wrote::lol: BBS

This reminds me of an Asimov short story about a genius who theorizes that the planets are like petri dishes and we are just test subjects being observed by higher life-forms. One of his reasons is that logically, us humans don't have much going for us in the way of evolution and we only are where we are because we've been selected for experimentation.

Some thoughts:
Survival of the fittest is determined mostly by physical features such as strength, speed, agility etc...
What puts us above other animals is (excluding our brains) we're bipedal and we have thumbs (letting us use advanced tools), just like many primates. Our advantage I suppose is that we have developed advanced communication.

We've all got great endurance too.

http://edge.org/conversation/-brains-plus-brawn

Awesome article. I dern't knew many bout evolutionary biology, but it's fun pickings.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:09 am

^^^ Yeah, I'm pretty sure humans are one of the best adapted animals for long distance running. Didn't have time to read the article, but I think it's something about how most animals can't cool themselves sufficiently.

x-raider wrote:Our advantage I suppose is that we have developed advanced communication.

Yeah, I think that's one of the biggest ones.
Think about raising a human and a chimp in the same way. Exactly the same outside interaction and so on. Will the human be more succesfull ? Possibly, but not by much.
What makes us different is that we can inherit this vast knowledge accumulated by our ancestors.

Ofcourse nothing is for free. Specifically this vast bank of knowledge means that for someone to be able to actually contribute to the sum of human knowledge nowadays, he needs at least 20 years of training to even figure out what we know so far.
This is why I think the next step in knowledge acquisition and dissemination, which I imagine as something similar to being able to access wikipedia with a thought, may change a lot of things about our lives.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:25 am

Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby 2dimes on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:29 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:This is why I think the next step in knowledge acquisition and dissemination, which I imagine as something similar to being able to access wikipedia with a thought, may change a lot of things about our lives.

How could a system like that exist. Wouldn't someone constantly be crashing it with thoughts of pron, feelings of inadequacy, cheese burgers or disturbing images? Look at the junk ratio of the internet allready and it's significantly held back by people having to physically imput everything.
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby nietzsche on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:43 am

2dimes wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:This is why I think the next step in knowledge acquisition and dissemination, which I imagine as something similar to being able to access wikipedia with a thought, may change a lot of things about our lives.

How could a system like that exist. Wouldn't someone constantly be crashing it with thoughts of pron, feelings of inadequacy, cheese burgers or disturbing images? Look at the junk ratio of the internet allready and it's significantly held back by people having to physically imput everything.

I suppose it would work by doing some kind of thinking, something specific, a pattern that the interface would recognize. This will exist sooner than we imagine, maybe 10-20 years?

Not everything you think would be sent to the interface, i don't imagine that is possible, yet, but when they find a way to do that we'll get one installed at birth so the groups of power know what we are thinking 24/7. It's incredibly stupid for us to think that possible but for those generations it would feel somewhat normal to pass and accept that patriot act.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Re: Re:

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:09 am

nietzsche wrote:Not everything you think would be sent to the interface, i don't imagine that is possible, yet, but when they find a way to do that we'll get one installed at birth so the groups of power know what we are thinking 24/7. It's incredibly stupid for us to think that possible but for those generations it would feel somewhat normal to pass and accept that patriot act.

This is a valid concern.
There are also similar concerns for a lot of the transhumanist stuff. Frankly, my biggest fear about the future is that the technological progress will happen way faster than the cultural one can.
I mean the technological one also helps speed up the cultural one, but if someone just gave us the technology for immortality, designer babies and so on tommorrow I don't think it would end very well for us.

Also:

I think I may have posted this one already, but f*ck it:
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby 2dimes on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Frankly, my biggest fear about the future is that the technological progress will happen way faster than the cultural one can.

Like people being on the internet or staring into a phone screen all the time instead of interacting with physical people in the same room?
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:01 am

2dimes wrote:
Frankly, my biggest fear about the future is that the technological progress will happen way faster than the cultural one can.

Like people being on the internet or staring into a phone screen all the time instead of interacting with physical people in the same room?

Real people are overrated anyway. Posting on CC is much more fulfilling.

Also:
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:26 pm

New xkcd:

8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby x-raider on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:49 am

...And I actually got the joke :D
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:44 am

x-raider wrote:...And I actually got the joke :D

Yeah, I think that's pretty much the only reason I liked it too.
I don't know if there really is such a thing as a frequentist statistician anymore.

Though, Bayes rule does have counterintuitive implications all over the place. Doctors and judges should at the very least be aware of bayesian thinking.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:00 pm

I think this one may be too abstruse, but what the hell I'm kinda running low here (untill I start seriously scouring the pbf archives anyway)

Click image to enlarge.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby ender516 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:40 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
x-raider wrote:...And I actually got the joke :D

Yeah, I think that's pretty much the only reason I liked it too.
I don't know if there really is such a thing as a frequentist statistician anymore.

Though, Bayes rule does have counterintuitive implications all over the place. Doctors and judges should at the very least be aware of bayesian thinking.

Well, just about every poll I see gives its margin error like "+/- 3%, 19 times out of 20", so some people are still working on the idea that 5% ~= 0%.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby ender516 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:52 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:I think this one may be too abstruse, but what the hell I'm kinda running low here (untill I start seriously scouring the pbf archives anyway)

Click image to enlarge.

That whole site, http://www.stonemakerargument.com , is worth a look (and there are only a few pages so far, making it an easy task).

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:59 am

ender516 wrote:That whole site, http://www.stonemakerargument.com , is worth a look (and there are only a few pages so far, making it an easy task).

+1

for the ultra lazy at least check this one out: http://www.stonemakerargument.com/4.html
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:00 am

new xkcd.

8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 am

Click image to enlarge.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby ender516 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:27 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Click image to enlarge.

I laughed, I cried...

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:14 pm

It's becoming harder to remember which of these I've posted before. I think I'll have to compile a list of all of these.

Anywho:

8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:33 pm

8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:55 am

8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Symmetry on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Can we just sticky http://www.smbc-comics.com/ at the top of this forum? It's great and all, but I think we have most of their stuff here now.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:33 pm

Symmetry wrote:Can we just sticky http://www.smbc-comics.com/ at the top of this forum? It's great and all, but I think we have most of their stuff here now.

Well, if more people would post their preferences it wouldn't just be a big SMBC archive book. *hint hint* *nudge nudge* and all that.

I have been meaning to post more pbf though.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Symmetry on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Can we just sticky http://www.smbc-comics.com/ at the top of this forum? It's great and all, but I think we have most of their stuff here now.

Well, if more people would post their preferences it wouldn't just be a big SMBC archive book. *hint hint* *nudge nudge* and all that.

I have been meaning to post more pbf though.

Pbf doesn't update much anymore, Penny Arcade is always a good read, but I really like "Hark, A Vagrant!". But then I'm a literature nerd.

the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby ender516 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:56 pm

:lol: Penny Arcade.

I don't post much here in the way of content, just an occasional comment, because, apart from XKCD and User Friendly (which I suspect is all reruns lately), I only follow the rather tame stuff on gocomics.com.

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,