Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - CONQUERSHIP (1v1 map)

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: CONQUERSHIP (1v1 map) v.9 - updated 10/14

Postby lostatlimbo on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Version 9
Per ian canton's suggestion, I've set the cell bonus to +1 per 10 cells over 30 (legend says sea cells, will change that with next update)
I changed the grids to 0-9
I've also clarified some things in the legend (no region bonus, ship cells cannot assault each other)

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by lostatlimbo on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:14 pm

[Moved] to main foundry again. ;)
And back we go to the main foundry. But one thing though, who is doing the xml now that Sully has done another Houdini act?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby iancanton on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:53 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:Per ian canton's suggestion, I've set the sea cell bonus to +1 per 10 sea cells over 30.

not my suggestion! my idea was to set the bonus to +1 per 10 cells over 30, not sea cells over 30, the reason being that the number of cells (regions on standard maps) is displayed each turn, while players have to count the number of sea cells to know the exact number, which becomes boring and repetitive when the number of sea cells is large.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby lostatlimbo on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:42 am

Ah, right... will fix

Postby lostatlimbo on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:44 am

koontz1973 wrote:[Moved] to main foundry again. ;)
And back we go to the main foundry. But one thing though, who is doing the xml now that Sully has done another Houdini act?

Thanks. Others have offered assistance if Sully no longer desires to do the XML for this project.

Re: CONQUERSHIP (1v1 map) v.9 - updated 10/21

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:12 pm

Glad to see this moving again, I like the look.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby nolefan5311 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Is there an update coming soon for this lostatlimbo?
Captain nolefan5311

Postby nolefan5311 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:22 pm

As it appears development on this map has stalled (no update since the update that took it off vacation over 30 days ago), this map is being Moved to the Recycling Bin for the time being. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. :)
Captain nolefan5311

Re: [Vacation - Valid until May 2013] - CONQUERSHIP (1v1 map

Postby lostatlimbo on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:55 pm

Hey, not so fast. I just commented on the 21st of October - it hasn't been that long - give me a break.

The only edit I have received has been a fix in the legend. If that's all that needs to happen to move this along, then I'll go do it, but I've been waiting for other changes and suggestions.

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:47 am

Update - 14th October. :D
Moved to main foundry - 15th October. :D
iancanton suggestion - 20th October. 8-)
lostalimbo reply to suggestion - 21st October - "Ah, right... will fix" O:)
nolefan asks for an update - 5th November - No reply :?
nolefan moves to bin - 17th November - 1 month 3 days after last update made. :mrgreen:
lostalimbo says wait a moment. ;)

How long is a moment? :roll:

:P
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby lostatlimbo on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:56 am

I was traveling in Mexico with little to no internet access for the better part of November.

I get that mapmakers disappear sometimes and there is a desire to keep things moving, but does it really need to be exactly 30 days? Especially when the mapmaker has commented in between updates? There should be some leniency here - especially when it can be months in between actually getting some feedback.

It does the map and mapmaker no good to keep shuffling the damn thing back and forth. I do get busy sometimes and can't update every week like some in the foundry, but when I find enough time to work on the map, I like to make a list of all the changes and knock them out at once. That's how I work. It really isn't hurting anyone to let a map sit for a bit as long as you know the mapmaker hasn't completely abandoned it. I really think it does more damage than good to keep trashing it.

So, yes, please move the map back and wait a MOMENT while I catch up on work and wrap up a film shoot and then I'll fix the legend and any other issues that WOULD HAVE COME UP if the map was allowed to hang around in the WORKSHOP for more than 30 days (especially during the summer and holidays!!!)

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:14 am

lostatlimbo wrote:I was traveling in Mexico with little to no internet access for the better part of November.

Nice, how was it? :D
I get that mapmakers disappear sometimes and there is a desire to keep things moving, but does it really need to be exactly 30 days?

No and some map makers go over the 30 days like your did. :o
Especially when the mapmaker has commented in between updates? There should be some leniency here - especially when it can be months in between actually getting some feedback.

You commented twice during the time when in the main foundry. Once to say thanks for the move and the other time was to say you will fix something. :-s
It does the map and mapmaker no good to keep shuffling the damn thing back and forth. I do get busy sometimes and can't update every week like some in the foundry, but when I find enough time to work on the map, I like to make a list of all the changes and knock them out at once. That's how I work. It really isn't hurting anyone to let a map sit for a bit as long as you know the mapmaker hasn't completely abandoned it. I really think it does more damage than good to keep trashing it.

You are right to say that in the bin, you will get less feedback than in the main foundry. And it does the map damage to keep moving it backwards and forwards. But these are the things we live by. You say, does it hurt to keep it there for longer, yes it does. We have few members commenting on maps and if those comments are directed at maps that are sitting in there dead, then it is a wasted post. Keeping the main foundry clean helps all map makers get feedback and helps the mods to move the ones that are being updated.
So, yes, please move the map back and wait a MOMENT while I catch up on work and wrap up a film shoot and then I'll fix the legend and any other issues that WOULD HAVE COME UP if the map was allowed to hang around in the WORKSHOP for more than 30 days (especially during the summer and holidays!!!)

More than happy to move it back once an update has been made. ;) If you know you are going to be busy and away for some time, post in the thread that you are away and will make an update on so and so day. This way we know and can give some wiggle room. ;)

lost, you say you want feedback and you do get it, but when it comes, it sits there. nole did ask 12 days before the move if an update was coming. No reply came so he moved it. He is not a mind reader and cannot hold onto a map in the hope of something.

If you want more feedback, be more proactive. Get more updates made quicker, even if it is small things. The higher you are in the list, the better for players to see he map. Ask on your friends list for them to comment. PM 1v1 players to see if they have any ideas for you. But even if you do not get feedback, get an update done. I am sure you can think of a hundred things that can be done on this map now, so why not do them and post the result. :D
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:13 pm

The six months of vacation has expired, for this reason this topic is now labeled as [Abandoned]. An action, as stated in our Abandoned map policy has been taken. If the original mapmaker wants to continue this map project it's fine but a real update must provided. From this moment anyone else is free to continue this project without the original mapmaker permission, but it has to be started from the scratch.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: [Abandoned] - CONQUERSHIP (1v1 map)

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:26 am

I think this map is a fantastic idea and would love to see it picked up by someone. The work done thus far has been fantastic. I would consider jumping in and helping out.

Are the image files are in photoshop and could someone them to me or drop them in dropbox? ... If you just need xml I could do that as well.

How many stamps did it get/how far along was it before reaching this state?

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby lostatlimbo on Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:13 pm

This map was really close. There were a few minor things, but the real issue is that the 1v1 functionality wasn't available.

I would be glad to finish it if cc gave a shit about mapmaking, but the foundry looks in much worse shape than when I left. What is the point of me making little tweaks to the legend if the site can't handle the gameplay?

Postby iancanton on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:47 pm

welcome back, lostatlimbo!

we do have pure 1v1 functionality now. i'll be happy to put the thread back into the main foundry workshop, after u make a small update.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby lostatlimbo on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:20 am

I'm tempted to take this up again, but it doesn't seem like any of the foundry's issues have been resolved and there's still a bunch of map from several years ago that are stuck in purgatory.

I'm not even sure who is in charge at the moment. Who is signing off on maps?

(PS - kudos to you ian, for sticking with this so long. You have much more patience than most!)

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:30 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:I'm tempted to take this up again, but it doesn't seem like any of the foundry's issues have been resolved and there's still a bunch of map from several years ago that are stuck in purgatory.

I'm not even sure who is in charge at the moment. Who is signing off on maps?

(PS - kudos to you ian, for sticking with this so long. You have much more patience than most!)

BigWham and I believe RedBaron0 are the ones signing off on maps now a days, though ian could have taken over RB0's role now. It is hard to say considering there are no longer any announcements for any part of the site any more.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby iancanton on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:33 pm

i shall be quenching maps from now on.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Previous

Return to Recycling Box