Conquer Club

[GO] Risky Spoils

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[GO] Risky Spoils

Postby Little Witt on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:00 pm

Concise description:
  • Risky Spoils

Specifics/Details:
  • This will be a checkable option in the game creation chooses. When a player turns in a set of cards, the two bonus troops are automatically deployed on the locations named on the card, it won't matter if the player owns it or not. But one(or more) extra troop(s) is deployed on the territories that are listed on the card as owned by the player turning in the cards. After thought... for team games we can discuss whether to give your teammates the normal two troops or give them the two troops and the bonus troops

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • This will add another style of play, and give players different ways of playing the game. We can create a bronze, silver, and gold medal for this style of play. And I also think this will add a bit more strategy to this great game of risk.

show: My other two suggestions
Last edited by Little Witt on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Little Witt

Re: New style of spoils bonuses - Risky Spoils - Little Witt

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Suggested b4.
â–‘â–’â–’â–“â–“â–“â–’â–’â–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby greenoaks on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:48 am

why should this be called Risky Spoils - Little Witt ?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Little Witt on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:05 pm

greenoaks wrote:why should this be called Risky Spoils - Little Witt ?

I don't know,... maybe it could be because you are taking a risk when turning in cards? We could change the name easy, that isn't much of a problem. We just need to know what people think about the idea, and whether or not to do something with it. We can modify the idea to fit certain things obviously. But as of right now, I am just looking for suggestions and people's general likes and dislikes about it. The name won't be a problem to change.

Little Witt

Postby Fewnix on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:35 pm

I think we should explore different options for "risky spoils", different "risks," or rewards, to calculate in deciding when to cash in a set, just as there are different " risks" when you roll the dice on an attack. Something to get CC'ers thinking, or hoping or calculating . ;)

One example that might be fun

!) if you cash in a set when you have only three spoils (the odds are 1 in a 3 you will have a set then) one time out of every 3 you will get the troops specified, one in 3 you will get 0 troops and one in 3 you will lose the number of troops specified..

2) if you cash in a set when you have four spoils (the odds are 2 out of 3 you will have a set then) , there is a 50% chance you will get the troops specified, AND a 50% chance you will get 0 troops. .

3) When you have five spoils, you are 100% certain to have a set , you must cash it in and , you will get the troops specified.

The obvious "smart move" most times might be to wait until you have five spoils but there will be times the "smart move" is to take a risk/ Maybe you are on the verge of being eliminated OR you have the chance of winning, in a Standard or Terminator or Assassin game, IF you get the extra troops now . Then there are odds to calculate in eliminating a player and cashing the spoils taken or other factors at play.

For illustration purposes using flat rate where sets are worth 4 for red, 6 for green, 8 for blue and 10 for mixed, say you have 3 spoils all green,. You might want to take a risk and cash in then, one chance in 3 of getting 6 troops, one chance in 3 of 0 troops, one chance in 3 of losing 6. You make the "smart" move and decide to wait. Your fourth spoils is also green, (one chance in 3 if you started with 3 green) . Now you calculate it does not matter what your fifth spoils will be, you will have to cash in a green set, now or your next turn. if you wait a turn you are guaranteed 6 troops. If you cash now you have a 50% chance of getting 6, 50% chance of getting 0. Some times it might be worth the risk May the spoils gods be with you.

What could be even more interesting is in escalating spoils say variants of the SoC Classic Terminator.

Say you are in the early to mid stages of a game where a set is worth in the double digits, 10 or more troops, and you have 3 spoils including a set. You could be a target for elimination as anybody who takes you out will get the points for eliminating you AND a set they can cash in for the double digits of troops. However, if you cash in your set now and you get the extra troops, 1/3 chance of that, you might be able to eliminate someone yourself, get the points and go on to victory. If you get 0 troops, a 1/3 chance, at least you are less deseirable a target. Of course if you lose the double digit amount of troops, 1/3 chance of that, if might be game over.

Say, i you wait another turn, take a tert for a spoils. Now you have 4 spoils and still have a set, worth troops in the double digits, Now do you cash, 50% chance of getting the troops, which may enable you to eliminate someone, for points and possibly their spoils and you winning big time? There is a 50% chance you get 0 troops but at least you will be a less desireable target. Decisions Decisions.

There is little risk and some good odds of reward in considering variants of "risky" spoils. Lets take a chance. ;)

DoomYoshi wrote:Suggested b4.
Rule 1
show
Private Fewnix

Postby Little Witt on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:10 pm

Fewnix wrote:I think we should explore different options for "risky spoils", different "risks," or rewards, to calculate in deciding when to cash in a set, just as there are different " risks" when you roll the dice on an attack. Something to get CC'ers thinking, or hoping or calculating . ;)

I read your idea, it sounds interesting. One problem is the minus troops, where and how would you take away troops. Otherwise, it sounds doable. My idea obviously needs a little bit of work, but there is no harm in changing it up a bit so that we can enjoy another gaming style.
Always be open for changes, and don't shut the new and unique ones out because they are to different.

Postby Extreme Ways on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:38 pm

Fewnix wrote:
show

No. Let's have a scenario here. You cash, get the troops and eliminate someone (esc). Now you have 6 cards. You cash and eliminate someone else. You have 7 cards now. You decide to double cash and only get... about 50 troops because of the 50% chance? Not enough to eliminate someone, you're out. People hate it already when a sweep gets denied because of luck, it's only getting worse then.

What about the 'randomness'. I myself don't often complain about dice, but what about bad cash streaks and such? I like the luck factor in the game, but don't massively increase it. Not everyone wants to wait for 5 cards.

EW
TOFU, ex-REP, ex-VDLL, ex-KoRT.
General Extreme Ways

Postby Little Witt on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Let's not get off topic please. If Fewnix has an idea please can he post it elsewhere. This thread is for my idea, and we seem to be getting off topic.

Postby greenoaks on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:15 pm

Little Witt wrote:

I don't know,... maybe it could be because you are taking a risk when turning in cards?

but why should it be called

"Risky Spoils - Little Witt"

?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:55 pm

greenoaks wrote:
Little Witt wrote:

I don't know,... maybe it could be because you are taking a risk when turning in cards?

but why should it be called

"Risky Spoils - Little Witt"

?

Drop it.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Little Witt on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:20 pm

Bump!

If anyone else reading this has any suggestions or questions of importance (not about the name Risky spoils if you please, we can easily pick a new one) I would be glad to hear them! So please post!

Little Witt

Postby chapcrap on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:11 pm

I would not play a type of spoils that I could not predict what was going to happen when I trade cards in.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby agentcom on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:24 pm

I'm thinking that the other similar ones were actually a bit different, including the other one that is called something like risky spoils.

Agree it needs a name change
Colonel agentcom

Postby chapcrap on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:54 pm

agentcom wrote:

Agree it needs a name change

While I wouldn't actually call them Risky Spoils myself, I think that oaks was chastising for the OP using their name in the subject.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Little Witt on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:47 am

Oh, :) that's from old habbits :P I would do that A lot on a different game because they didn't show who posted the thread, just the thread name, that's all.... anyone got any suggestions on the idea yet? we have 14 posts with none of them really about my idea. I been thinking about it and I might post a possible change if people don't like the current one.

Postby chapcrap on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:01 am

Little Witt wrote:Oh, :) that's from old habbits :P I would do that A lot on a different game because they didn't show who posted the thread, just the thread name, that's all.... anyone got any suggestions on the idea yet? we have 14 posts with none of them really about my idea. I been thinking about it and I might post a possible change if people don't like the current one.

I don't think the name is the real issue with the suggestion. I don't think it's something that I would want to play. That's my issue.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Re: New style of spoils bonuses - Risky Spoils

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:20 pm

If enough people would enjoy this option I would support it but I myself like to guesstimate odds and depend on these guesses in my gameplay. The other player getting spoils would severely throw off my game I think. An alternative name could be the "underdog" option since this change could give someone a chance when all but little hope was lost. ;)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Little Witt on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:19 am

Idk if this is allowed :lol:

BUMP!

Postby agentcom on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:33 pm

Little Witt wrote:Idk if this is allowed :lol:

BUMP!

Bumping is perfectly fine in this forum (other CC fora may have different rules), as long as it's not excessive. Of course, it's always better to add something substantive to the discussion like making an argument for or against or posing a question, but that's not always an option.
Colonel agentcom

Return to Suggestions