Conquer Club

Is the old guard dead?

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Is the old guard dead?

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:05 am

everywhere116 wrote:Era 1, who was from era 1? Me, Fircoal, Aimless, Xenhu, Coolalone, PCM, Tellvania, The1exile, VGMaster, spiesr, mandalorian, AK Iceman, gosh, so many.

If this is era 1, then there might be an Era Zero...

From my old records:

Proven Players:

dagreatbroomhead
AK_Iceman
Fireside Poet
Haydena
Machiavelli
Moz976
Phobia
Reverend_kyle
Sully800
Wicked
Marvaddin
Bogusbet
Freetymes
Houssamthegreat
Master Bush
Supercram
Autoload
Trestain
Incandenza
Spiesr

Players that were on their way:

Dussle
jaydog
Telvannia
Mightyal
Spring1
XenHu
Backglass

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby pmchugh on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:25 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
everywhere116 wrote:Era 1, who was from era 1? Me, Fircoal, Aimless, Xenhu, Coolalone, PCM, Tellvania, The1exile, VGMaster, spiesr, mandalorian, AK Iceman, gosh, so many.

If this is era 1, then there might be an Era Zero...

From my old records:

Proven Players:

dagreatbroomhead
AK_Iceman
Fireside Poet
Haydena
Machiavelli
Moz976
Phobia
Reverend_kyle
Sully800
Wicked
Marvaddin
Bogusbet
Freetymes
Houssamthegreat
Master Bush
Supercram
Autoload
Trestain
Incandenza
Spiesr

Players that were on their way:

Dussle
jaydog
Telvannia
Mightyal
Spring1
XenHu
Backglass

--Andy

Yeah this is what I mean, I think wicked, sully800 and speisr are the only ones I ever played with there.

The list everywhere gives has more people in it, but still isn't the crowd I remember.

iliad, ga7, talapus, nag, anarkistdream, skoff, skittles, lord voldemort has to be another era.

Then there are players like william18, thezzarus, stroop and me. Honestly there is too many different groups, I would have to say the best way to categorise would be by forum posted in:

Era 1: Off topics
Era 2: Forum games
Era 3: Mafia games
Era 4: Mafia forum
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby Iron Butterfly on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:06 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
Iron Butterfly wrote:
strike wolf wrote:there's more than two eras of mafia really. these are the time lines that I kind of distinguish.

Era 1: Players like Mandy, Wicked, AK_Iceman, AndyDufresne, Nagerous, LSU Tiger Josh, Nark, Got Tonkaed etc. (about the time I had my first games)

Era 2: I think this is more when players like Safari and Edocsil came into play.

Era 2.5: I think would be around the time I started to become more of a regular in the mafia forums as well as when players like Commander9, Vio, Tails and a couple others started playing.

Era 3: would be around now. We're getting a lot of new players signing up for games right now.

Someone who's been more regular mafia player over the years could probably come up with a more accurate list...there's a lot of people i could consider from Era 1 but it would be too long of a list to get into right now.

Could someone please explain why it is so important compartmentalize? So 10 years from now I can look back with pride on the fact that I belonged to era 3 because some noob player in era 10 was an annoying pain in the ass?

There are 2 main purposes. Purpose 1 is to show who has been around the longest.
The second would be to help understand the history of the mafia forum. Games here are quite different than the games on mafiascum. So, if you wanted to test a hypothesis to see if there was divergent evolution or they started differently, you could ask players from the different eras and test your hypothesis. When I started, busdriver seemed like the most common role, now they are slowly being faded out it seems. Also, games started as generally unthemed and have worked to where even games with no theme (Rated M or Hectic Eclectic for instance) are still themed.

Yes History is good. I also agree that watching how things evolve over time as far as game play is also interesting.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby Master Bush on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:09 pm

Andy pretty much nailed it. That core of players were the original mafia crew. What makes the game fun is playing with a group of people you know, and building reads on them over time. Playing a new game with 8-12 that I don't even know is not fun.
"You know what they say about Love and War...."
"Yeah, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's War."
Sergeant Master Bush

Postby dazza2008 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Master Bush wrote:Andy pretty much nailed it. That core of players were the original mafia crew. What makes the game fun is playing with a group of people you know, and building reads on them over time. Playing a new game with 8-12 that I don't even know is not fun.

I kind of agree with this. We play in our clan forum all the time and it is pretty fun knowing them all quite well.
Corporal dazza2008

Postby chapcrap on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:34 pm

I'm fairly new and still do not know all of the ins and outs of every role and game, which is why I have refrained from being a mod so far, although it is probably in my future.

I will say that I think that getting some new players into games is important and a good thing, but I agree with Andy that a list a ratio could be established as to how many noobs to let in a game. And noob teaching games would be great as well.

I thank those of you who have helped me grow as a mafia player. I hope we can all return the favor and teach noobs as they come in.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:45 pm

yeah it's weird playing with a whole bunch of new players. I feel like a veteran and I haven't even learned how to properly accuse someone yet

Also, who was your favorite mod from era 1 & 2? and why? ( more than one answer is acceptable)

-SG7 ( :) )
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby freezie on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm

shieldgenerator7 wrote:Also, who was your favorite mod from era 1 & 2? and why? ( more than one answer is acceptable)

Pancakemix, who first got me in here with his newbie game.

Which i also was the only one activly going after aimless when everyone beleived him to be on the good side..And I ended up beeing right..
Corporal 1st Class freezie

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:47 am

shieldgenerator7 wrote:yeah it's weird playing with a whole bunch of new players. I feel like a veteran and I haven't even learned how to properly accuse someone yet

Also, who was your favorite mod from era 1 & 2? and why? ( more than one answer is acceptable)

I'll go with Mr. Squirrel. His games were always fun to play.
Captain safariguy5

Postby strike wolf on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:47 am

Mr. Squirrel for Era 2. This era I think safari has come out with the most successful games overall. Era 1. I didn't play enough games from back than to be honest but I always heard really good things about Andy's games.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby safariguy5 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:05 pm

strike wolf wrote:Mr. Squirrel for Era 2. This era I think safari has come out with the most successful games overall. Era 1. I didn't play enough games from back than to be honest but I always heard really good things about Andy's games.

Now I'm blushing. :oops:
Captain safariguy5

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:09 pm

strike wolf wrote:Mr. Squirrel for Era 2. This era I think safari has come out with the most successful games overall. Era 1. I didn't play enough games from back than to be honest but I always heard really good things about Andy's games.

Part of me says I should never mod another game, so then my legend grows and grow.

Kind of like Wilt Chamberlain's 100 point game with no TV footage and a few minutes of audio at the end recorded by a random person. Haha.

Shrouds of mystery and legend.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:12 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:

Part of me says I should never mod another game, so then my legend grows and grow.

Kind of like Wilt Chamberlain's 100 point game with no TV footage and a few minutes of audio at the end recorded by a random person. Haha.

Shrouds of mystery and legend.

--Andy

Fixed

--Not Andy
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:57 pm

nice fix there doom
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.

Postby pmchugh on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:34 pm

There was no best mod. All the good mods eventually screw up. They all abandon games and they all make unbalanced setups. I believe the players make the game not the mod, but I am probs biased as I am a player not a mod.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:41 pm

pmchugh wrote:There was no best mod. All the good mods eventually screw up. They all abandon games and they all make unbalanced setups. I believe the players make the game not the mod, but I am probs biased as I am a player not a mod.

yeah I agree it takes a great mod to set up a great game, but it takes players for the game to actually happen

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:16 am

I miss some of the silly chu games with ridiculous roles. I don't remember the last time we had a lyncher; hell, even discussion of possible lynchers doesn't exist anymore.

-Tails
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:31 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:I miss some of the silly chu games with ridiculous roles. I don't remember the last time we had a lyncher; hell, even discussion of possible lynchers doesn't exist anymore.

-Tails

i know! where did fircoal go?

Postby safariguy5 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:52 am

shieldgenerator7 wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:I miss some of the silly chu games with ridiculous roles. I don't remember the last time we had a lyncher; hell, even discussion of possible lynchers doesn't exist anymore.

-Tails

I believe college happened.
Captain safariguy5

Postby Fircoal on Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:14 pm

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? We're having a discussion about eras. WITHOUT ME. Guys you're doing it wrong. WRONG I SAYYYYYYY!

Anyway You know what would be good in a discussion like this. LOGS! LOTS AND LOTS OF LOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSS! SAdly my limited amount of logs are at my house back at not college so I can't really access them right now. At the very least I can put in my insight that the amount of eras are off. Also they seem a bit small to be eras too me. I can count a couple specific times.

1: Andy-period/ pre-takeoff
2: Intial takeoff/ noob flux (I came at the start of this)
3: The Mafia crew (Basically when mafia started to form a solid crew and the number of newbies were toning down)
4: The Esoog
5: The Fall of the Esoog
6: The Revival I
7: The Revival II
8: Whatever this is now.

Something like that. If I wasn't so lazy I'd be posting more.

Btw what is up with the lack of me being mentioned at the start of the therad. I LIEK BEING MENTIONED! >:U

(Also I find it quite funny how old gaurd I am while still being younger than most of this forum. (Btw I'm 19 now :D that's one more year! :D)
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby LSU Tiger Josh on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:26 am

This is not a temporary hick-up. Over time mafia comes and goes and players come and go. I started about a year after mafia had begun playing on conquer club back when it was played in the OT.

My personal favorite mod to play with was Aimless although they have had many over the years with some running more games than other.

It is definitely true that the players in the game are what makes for a good game because you can have a great set-up and have a bad group in the game blow the setup out of water.

In regards to the noobs that wanted to play, what I used to try to do was every so often host a NV(non-vanilla) game for shits and giggles that would be pretty much just for the noobs and let them play it out in the open forum where the rest of the mafia vets could see what was happening and who could handle their game or not. It would be amusing seeing how some might be a little trigger happy vigilantes while others would play more along the lines of how a vet at that time would've played it. After those games, some of us would help critique them privately or publicly. I used those games as my "testing grounds" for new players and when I did my big games if they had performed reasonably well, I would let them in although I sometimes(not all of the time) did not include them on the random role assignment. If I saw they had really struggled with a certain role in the past than I would try to make sure those new players were NOT given that role, but either a more vanilla role or one that I had seen them do decent with before. You can't do that every time though because players would eventually catch on.

As far as new players wanting to mod, what worked back then was that you usually had to "prove" yourself overtime in playing some of the games before you had earned enough "respect" to get people to join your games. Otherwise collectively those games were left mostly unfilled until we figured out how knowledgeable that person was about mafia.
LSU Tiger Josh
The man, the myth, the legend has returned.
Corporal LSU Tiger Josh

Postby Master Bush on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:06 am

I WANT LOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGS!
"You know what they say about Love and War...."
"Yeah, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's War."
Sergeant Master Bush

Postby Fircoal on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:11 pm

safariguy5 wrote:
shieldgenerator7 wrote:

-Tails

I believe college happened.

I TOOK A COLLEGE TO THE KNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ;A;

Fir has been playing some mafia like games irl. Makes Fir miss when Fir was modding. I want to mod but... I don't want to flank out. We'll see. Maybe, who knows. I'm never gone from here forever, that much should be clear. And really if anyone ever wants an rt game, just hit up my MSN or something. I'm often there. :D
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby Some7hingCLEVER on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Ha I remember my first mafia role in my very first game i was sooooo scummy but no one killed me for days cause of my noobish-ness (word?) haha I miss those days
Cadet Some7hingCLEVER

Postby jak111 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:22 pm

Some7hingCLEVER wrote:Ha I remember my first mafia role in my very first game i was sooooo scummy but no one killed me for days cause of my noobish-ness (word?) haha I miss those days

The one where you were the "doctor Dr.Jeckal/Mr.Hide"? If so.. I wanted you dead long before any of the others because I had a feeling it was a fib!
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia Discussions