Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Alamo

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Alamo map [11/17/12] Pg9

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:16 am

Use the same glow in the legend for now.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby generalhead on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:45 am

That font is a weird thing. It is the Sans which is the default font also. Sorry I posted It like that. It is hard to tell how good or bad some thing looks until it is posted. The font is not too bad to change because I have it in a folder all by itself. I will change the font and add the colored hue to the legend.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby generalhead on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:04 am

Koontz I went with the last font that you had posted
Moved the cannon from Alvarez to Ceza
Added colored highlights to the legend
Tried a shadow highlight on king, winchester and crawford. Can you tell me if this is too much.
Moved the one orange target to perez due to it was too far away from the cannons line of fire
Click image to enlarge.

I think the highlights on the names are a little too much, it makes it seem too busy.
If the cannons and officers are going to start as neutrals is Duque, Ortega going to be a problem?
Sergeant generalhead

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:41 am

Names highlight is too much. Try toning the opacity down to see if you get something you like.

not a problem but you will probably get the suggestion to move the cannon. Swap the cannon with one of the targets next door. Why are the cannons starting neutral? They have no bonus with them so they can start normal.

When you do you glow, select your text, increase by one pixel and feather by 5. Or any variation thereof, then paintbrush in the colour you want. This will give a uniform look to the whole map.

Todd canon, move away from the wall as both are nearly the same grey. Why does Santa Anna look like one pork roast away from a heart attack?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby generalhead on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:53 am

koontz wrote:not a problem but you will probably get the suggestion to move the cannon. Swap the cannon with one of the targets next door. Why are the cannons starting neutral? They have no bonus with them so they can start normal.

good point, ty
koontz wrote:When you do you glow, select your text, increase by one pixel and feather by 5. Or any variation thereof, then paintbrush in the colour you want. This will give a uniform look to the whole map.

Ty
koontz wrote:Todd canon, move away from the wall as both are nearly the same grey. Why does Santa Anna look like one pork roast away from a heart attack?

:lol: I didn't notice that until you said that. I will make him go on a diet.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:55 am

Definitely good point about the cannons. No reason for them to start neutral. I don't think it would give a huge advantage either, just look at the Waterloo map how all the artillery is randomly dropped.

Haha, ol' Santa Anna does look a bit on the fat side.

I like the way the glow looks on Hospital, Convent Yard and Chapel in the legend. It may need work later on, but for now, that works perfectly to show where they are on the map.
Major tkr4lf

Postby generalhead on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:38 pm

swapped the cyan hue with the purple hue due to the cyan and green were too close in color
highlighted all of the names
ran Santa Anna on the tread mill
cleaned up the colored hues in the legend a bit
I think that is it
Click image to enlarge.

Do you like the name highlights I will leave it up to your professional opinion.
If you don't like them all I have to do is delete it or hide them

It is funny to open up all of the map spoilers on the first page and run through them all.
You guys have helped me progress this map so much. You guys are awesome. Image
Sergeant generalhead

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:56 pm

Glow still need sorting. But more over, there is one thing that really sticks out now. Can you guess what?

That is right. The men. Compared to the rest of the map, they look really bad. Now that you have shown what you can do without jpegs for the walls and cannon, lets see what you can do with the men. I am not suggesting you get rid of these ones, but something does need to be done to them to get them to blend in more with the map.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby generalhead on Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:30 pm

whew 8-[ , I am glad you said the men. I was hoping you weren't going to make me redo the walls or the cannons again. :D
Sergeant generalhead

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:24 pm

GH, get me the glows around the names sorted today and I will send this up.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:04 am

Easier way for glows. Click on the text layer you want the glow for and go up to script fu. Find outer glow and put in the color you want the glow to be. Then decrease the sizes down to 2 pixels for both, or play around with them. Then just adjust the opacity to where you want it and there you have it. Just lower that layer to under your text layer. I start around 75% opacity and see how it looks.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby generalhead on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:08 am

I was studying for an algebra test yesterday and will be in class tonight. After class tonight or tomorrow I should have time to work on the glows and work on the officers more. I am trying to take my time with the officers like I did with the walls and the cannons. Thank you for your understanding. GH
Sergeant generalhead

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:14 am

generalhead wrote:I was studying for an algebra test yesterday and will be in class tonight. After class tonight or tomorrow I should have time to work on the glows and work on the officers more. I am trying to take my time with the officers like I did with the walls and the cannons. Thank you for your understanding. GH

This is great news all round. Being busy is one thing but to try and rush the graphics is a bad thing. Glad to hear you are taking your time.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby generalhead on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:01 pm

cleaned up the officers
changed highlights on all names
worked on the rivers
Click image to enlarge.

next i'll work on Remember the Alamo to try and bring it out more
Cos Duque Romero and Morales officers shoulder's are too rounded
need to darken the river in the legend
Does the bottom legend look ok, does any one have any suggestions
do the officers look better
Sergeant generalhead

Re: Alamo map [11/22/12] Pg10

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:28 pm

generalhead, you have worked long and hard on this map. About time you got some encouragement in the main foundry. Remember, this is not the end, it is not even the beginning, but it is the end of the beginning. Good luck with the others, but do not worry, I will be keeping an eye on you as well. ;)

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby generalhead on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:51 pm

Yay! Thank you so much. I hope the people in the next room are as nice and helpful as you have been. I think I have said this before but this map wouldn't be what it is without you.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:01 pm

Hey! Welcome to the Big Boys Club. Here is where we get really picky.

First: The objective is pointless. For you to control all 8 officers, you would need to hold pretty much the entire map. All this means is that there are some tournaments which reward players for winning by objective. The other players will be held hostage.

Bowie is far too powerful. Here is how I am calculating power: Number of non-bombardable territories. Bowie gets 5. If Ceza bombed Cuthbert instead of Elder and Ortega bombed Ward instead of Winchester AND/OR Price instead of King, it would be better.

Now approaching this problem from the other way I think there are too many bombardable territories. I say this as an avid trench player. For example, I can't get from Cos to Davis without first being bombed by Davis. Also, as it stands now, Cos is the worst general.

I realize that Romero also has 4 non-bombardables and may be my new favourite. I am going to keep running scenarios through my mind and get back to you.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby tkr4lf on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:12 pm

Congrats on the stamp, generalhead! You definitely deserve it.

DoomYoshi wrote:Hey! Welcome to the Big Boys Club. Here is where we get really picky.

First: The objective is pointless. For you to control all 8 officers, you would need to hold pretty much the entire map. All this means is that there are some tournaments which reward players for winning by objective. The other players will be held hostage.

Bowie is far too powerful. Here is how I am calculating power: Number of non-bombardable territories. Bowie gets 5. If Ceza bombed Cuthbert instead of Elder and Ortega bombed Ward instead of Winchester AND/OR Price instead of King, it would be better.

Now approaching this problem from the other way I think there are too many bombardable territories. I say this as an avid trench player. For example, I can't get from Cos to Davis without first being bombed by Davis. Also, as it stands now, Cos is the worst general.

I realize that Romero also has 4 non-bombardables and may be my new favourite. I am going to keep running scenarios through my mind and get back to you.

Haha, I told you gameplay would probably change later on.

One thing I also notice now that I didn't before...In Duque's area, having the cannon at Ortega means nobody can pass from Duque to Gonzales or Barro without going around through the Alamo. There are two ways to fix this...the first, simply move the cannon to Gonzales or Barro, and move the target to Ortega...the second, change the terit borders so that Gonzales and Duque connect (this would make Ortega a pretty small terit, but as long as you can fit the name, the cannon and the army numbers, then it shouldn't be an issue).

Other than that, it looks good. I like the glow you have around the cannons, although Patch is a bit hard to see, maybe because the glow color is so similar to the background color. I think the officers look much better, but as you have said, the shoulders on some of them are too rounded.

All in all though, great work!
Major tkr4lf

Postby generalhead on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Moved cox target to cuthbert
moved winchester target to ward
eliminated one target at cos
fixed shoulders on duque, cos, romero, morales
fixed territories in duque
changed win objective to 5 officers
Click image to enlarge.

Is holding 5 officers for the game objective ok or should it be six or something else
I removed one target from cos, but with the ladders being one way attacks and the canons being bombards only does that leave cos as desolate
or is it ok
Sergeant generalhead

Postby MagnusGreeol on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:19 pm

Wow Guys,,I started on page 1 and went through them all up to here,,What a transformation, The cannons look great, Love the glow look,,very sharp,,names on the territs instead of Letter codes,,perfect,, One Question--- Are the ramp bridges going to be considered as a standing territs also- or could they be? Like a last stand of defense b4 entering Alamo? Even if not it still looks Great--- For General- and all who took part in assisting on this-- Salute-------)
Sincerely-->>>>-----MAG-OUT------->
Colonel MagnusGreeol

Re: Alamo map [11/23/12] Pg10

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:37 am

OK generalhead, here is a new list of things for you to do. :mrgreen:
    Glows around the names are too large. Make the smaller.
    Opacity of the glows is also too high. Reduce some.
    Shadows of the ladders in the Alamo, erase.
    Shadows for men and cannons do not align. Add to the list of things to do.
    Black territ has a black spot, remove.
    Bottom left legend needs another look at it. The left side is black and cannot read the text. Bottom of story text is cut of by the rope.
Have fun. ;)

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:20 am

Also, just noticed that the same cannon problem is present at Castilla. I like how you just adjusted the borders with Gonzales/Ortega/Duque, so you could probably do that again with Pena/Castilla/Rivera.

I thought I had spotted all of those, but pretty sure that's all of them now. Looking good.

Oh, I do have to say that it seems weird only having one target in Cos' area when there are 2 for every other cannon. Seems like you should either make each cannon have either 1 target, or make them have 2 targets, not a mix like it is now. I guess with there being so few terits in some of the bonus areas, it does go a little overboard having 2 targets for each cannon, so maybe just 1 is needed. That's a shame, I liked having more targets, it made the cannons that much more valuable, but such is life. Compromises and all that jazz.

Keep it up, gh!
Major tkr4lf

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:12 am

Why can't some cannons have one target and some cannons have 2?
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:46 am

DoomYoshi wrote:Why can't some cannons have one target and some cannons have 2?

They can. As long as one does not become too powerful over the others, they can all have different abilities.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:07 pm

koontz1973 wrote:

They can. As long as one does not become too powerful over the others, they can all have different abilities.

Yes, they certainly can. I was just giving my opinion that it seemed weird to me. But it's not that big of a deal, I will still play the map either way.
Major tkr4lf

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box