Conquer Club

Large Printable Maps

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Large Printable Maps

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Concise description:

Grant ability to print large versions of the Conquer Club maps so you can play them in rl.

Specifics/Details:

Have an area of the site (downloads) where you could go and print large versions of the maps(3 pages sounds about right?) so you could play them in rl with your friends. You could even laminate them! :shock:

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

-Good advertising for cc (conquerclub.com could be strategically placed on these printable larger versions)
-We would be supporting conquerclub instead of HasbroĀ® when we played a risk-like game in rl
Colonel Funkyterrance

Re: Large Printable Maps

Postby agentcom on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:03 pm

Wasn't CC working on getting some permissions from some mapmakers to make their maps into actual board games? Someone has done this before.

Why can't you just use the image that is posted in the first page of the Foundry and do this yourself?
Colonel agentcom

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:10 pm

agentcom wrote:Wasn't CC working on getting some permissions from some mapmakers to make their maps into actual board games? Someone has done this before.

Why can't you just use the image that is posted in the first page of the Foundry and do this yourself?

I have no idea about buying cc board games but that sounds expensive having to buy each map...
As far as the foundry do you mean the viewing gallery? Those are way too small!!!
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:20 am

agentcom wrote:Wasn't CC working on getting some permissions from some mapmakers to make their maps into actual board games? Someone has done this before.

I think you are thinking of this.
RB0 wanted to hand them out for prizes at a tournament. But the problem is that we make the maps so small, the large images you would get after printing them up would be very bad. I believe only World 2.1 has a large printable version somewhere in the thread.

Just remember guys, if you do do this. ask for permission from the map makers. We own the map images. :mrgreen:
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:16 pm

koontz1973 wrote:

I think you are thinking of this.
RB0 wanted to hand them out for prizes at a tournament. But the problem is that we make the maps so small, the large images you would get after printing them up would be very bad. I believe only World 2.1 has a large printable version somewhere in the thread.

Just remember guys, if you do do this. ask for permission from the map makers. We own the map images. :mrgreen:

I was under the impression that CC owned the maps so this is good to know.
I hope this goes through though as I think it would be really cool to play these maps in rl. Sometimes you just get sick of the classic map.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby agentcom on Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:19 pm

The mapmakers retain the ownership of the rights, EXCEPT by going through the Foundry and publishing on this site they agree to let CC use the maps for the purposes of playing the games.

My bad Koontz for missing that very obvious and valid point. Be sure to ask the mapmakers for permission if you plan on using their maps in some way they were not intended.
Colonel agentcom

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:39 am

It would be nice if these sorts of things were available, but I am not sure it is something CC would ever want to officially get into for a whole host of reasons!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:26 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:It would be nice if these sorts of things were available, but I am not sure it is something CC would ever want to officially get into for a whole host of reasons!

--Andy

:cry:

Why not? As long as the mapmaker gave the o.k. what harm would it be? I would even be willing to pay for the download. A portion of the fee could go to the mapmaker. Everyone's happy?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:39 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:It would be nice if these sorts of things were available, but I am not sure it is something CC would ever want to officially get into for a whole host of reasons!

--Andy

Actually, it already has. The CC store has coffee cups and T-shirts with map images on them. At rough count about 47 map images total have been used.

So, somehow this got worked out, and if it was worked out once it can be worked out again. Maybe, since zazzle was given print-quality images, they can be asked if they would also feature laminated 32" X 48" (thats about 80cm X 120cm) game boards?

Or better yet, it could be done in-house. I hear zazzle takes a rapacious percentage and there are other operations out there that do the same thing cheaper? Maybe this is something that should be reviewed?
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby greenoaks on Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:01 pm

i would like a large version i can print and play with my kids with real dice.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:16 pm

greenoaks wrote:i would like a large version i can print and play with my kids with real dice.

Right, and it has to be big enough to fit the pieces as well.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:50 am

What would be the sites objections to map makers selling their work to the players through the site?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby greenoaks on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:42 am

koontz1973 wrote:What would be the sites objections to map makers selling their work to the players through the site?

especially if they are prepared to give Zazzle a cut of the proceeds from mugs and shirts
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby agentcom on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:48 am

koontz1973 wrote:What would be the sites objections to map makers selling their work to the players through the site?

It sounds like a win-win to me. I can think of only one objection: The folks at Hasbro obviously had some influence on the direction of this site. This site can claim to be unique in many ways, which is why it is still up and running. Part of that reason is the unique maps ... no problem there. But when you take this off of the computer and replace the power squares (or whatever we call them) with dice and you replace the "spoils" with color-coded cards, and you remove the fog of war, and you start putting little counters on the board ... well this starts to look a lot more like the R-word.

Whether they have a winning claim or not, I can assure you that if we started to sell a bunch of these, someone would quickly receive a cease and desist order. Then we would have to decide whether or not to comply or risk going to court.

It's an unfortunate state of affairs, but even though that's the only reason I can think of that the site wouldn't go this direction, it is a pretty weighty reason.
Colonel agentcom

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:55 am

agentcom wrote:

It sounds like a win-win to me. I can think of only one objection: The folks at Hasbro obviously had some influence on the direction of this site. This site can claim to be unique in many ways, which is why it is still up and running. Part of that reason is the unique maps ... no problem there. But when you take this off of the computer and replace the power squares (or whatever we call them) with dice and you replace the "spoils" with color-coded cards, and you remove the fog of war, and you start putting little counters on the board ... well this starts to look a lot more like the R-word.

Whether they have a winning claim or not, I can assure you that if we started to sell a bunch of these, someone would quickly receive a cease and desist order. Then we would have to decide whether or not to comply or risk going to court.

It's an unfortunate state of affairs, but even though that's the only reason I can think of that the site wouldn't go this direction, it is a pretty weighty reason.

Their are a lot of (R) game variants out there. We have enough differences with rules to get away with this. One of the great things about the site is the different ways to play the game. A booklet that explains chained, adj, esc spoils etc etc would shift this far enough away.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby greenoaks on Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:32 am

agentcom wrote:

all we need to do is buy a t-shirt and place that on the dining table
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:03 am

greenoaks wrote:
agentcom wrote:

To damn small unless you buy the baby elephant sized ones.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:02 am

koontz1973 wrote:
greenoaks wrote:
agentcom wrote:

Buy one for each player. The game begins with everybody taking their shirt off and placing it on the table in front of them...

:lol:
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:30 am

Dukasaur wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:
greenoaks wrote:
agentcom wrote:

Buy one for each player. The game begins with everybody taking their shirt off and placing it on the table in front of them...

:lol:

Strip risk. ;)

Back to topic though. I am going to take one of my 1982 map to the printers Monday to see how large they will go without the image becoming too bad. After cropping of the legend that is.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:54 am

agentcom wrote:

I agree that you couldn't go and try to sell the whole shebang (cards, dice, men, etc.) without possible difficulties but if you left all the pieces up to the players and just sold the map itself I can't see much legal ground to stand on as far as cease and desist orders are concerned.

koontz1973 wrote:
Back to topic though. I am going to take one of my 1982 map to the printers Monday to see how large they will go without the image becoming too bad. After cropping of the legend that is.

Please keep us posted on this, koontz!
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby chapcrap on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:04 pm

This would be a win-win for everyone involved. Let me give you money for a map!!
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby agentcom on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:57 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
I agree that you couldn't go and try to sell the whole shebang (cards, dice, men, etc.) without possible difficulties but if you left all the pieces up to the players and just sold the map itself I can't see much legal ground to stand on as far as cease and desist orders are concerned.

I'm not a lawyer (yet) but that's a good point. I'd think it would be a hardimpossible case to win if you CC was just helping artists sell their art. As for the pieces, I would suggest two things.

First, sell the pieces separately. This is actually better because who needs new pieces with every map. Plus you're kind of divorcing the one thing (the map) from the other (all the pieces). And I'm sure we could get some people to come up with some cool ideas for different types of pieces you could buy. And I want a set of CC dice with the little star logos on them (and the ace is a big CC logo taking up a whole side of the die). :D

The other way to go, I think, would be to do what koontz said and write down all the modified rules so that the work has truly been transformative (making it into a new/different game).

And/or do both.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:48 am

agentcom wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

First, sell the pieces separately. This is actually better because who needs new pieces with every map. Plus you're kind of divorcing the one thing (the map) from the other (all the pieces). And I'm sure we could get some people to come up with some cool ideas for different types of pieces you could buy.

Totally good point, selling separately would solve the dilemma perfectly.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:58 pm

Well, I promised to keep you all apprised of this one. Right now though it does not work for all maps.

Here are the reasons why.
Text even one the large map will become almost unreadable when the image is made large enough to play.
When printed on to an A3 paper, the territs are not quite big enough. A2 is a must for this to work.
Here is a photo for Jakarta (one of my maps) done at A3 using my original R**K pieces with the map underneath so you can compare the size.
The image quality printed at this size is not of a great quality.
Click image to enlarge.

What would needed to be done for this to work.
Maps without text (legend text that is).
Maps made far larger than we have now. Double would be ideal.
Less detail placed onto the maps.
Maps redrawn so small territs become bigger.
And then we get into the trouble of cards, rules and what not.

But right now, I am going to have fun, beating my son in 1v1 games. :mrgreen:

Right now I cannot see how this work without a lot of work on the map makers side. So CC, make me an offer. :D
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:00 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Well, I promised to keep you all apprised of this one. Right now though it does not work for all maps.

Here are the reasons why.
Text even one the large map will become almost unreadable when the image is made large enough to play.
When printed on to an A3 paper, the territs are not quite big enough. A2 is a must for this to work.
Here is a photo for Jakarta (one of my maps) done at A3 using my original R**K pieces with the map underneath so you can compare the size.
The image quality printed at this size is not of a great quality.
Click image to enlarge.

What would needed to be done for this to work.
Maps without text (legend text that is).
Maps made far larger than we have now. Double would be ideal.
Less detail placed onto the maps.
Maps redrawn so small territs become bigger.
And then we get into the trouble of cards, rules and what not.

But right now, I am going to have fun, beating my son in 1v1 games. :mrgreen:

Right now I cannot see how this work without a lot of work on the map makers side. So CC, make me an offer. :D

Thanks for the update, koontz. :)
To me it seems that anyone who stood to get a little compensation for their map being printed might put in the time to make the changes needed to their map in order to make it viable for large printing?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Next

Return to Suggestions