Conquer Club

[Forum] Like Button for posts.

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Like Button for posts.

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:22 am

chapcrap wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
agentcom wrote:A thumbs up/thumbs down system would be great for me, but that's because I tend to stay here in Suggestions, where we don't run into the types of things that happen over in OT. I can see why you guys wouldn't like it. That said, what's wrong with a little thing that says "17 people like this post" or something like that? Just because it looks like facebook?

I suppose it would make sense for suggestions but not much esle.
Tbh I think it sounds a little corny and would probably end up being misused here. There are some on here who would think it was funny to just hop around and put thumbs downs on all the people's posts they didn't like. It's just a bad idea for cc for many reasons.

That doesn't really seem true to me. It's bad because it might be abused? Eh, I guess that it could be abused, but that doesn't make it inherently bad. A lot of things can be abused, that's human nature, not the fault of the system/object/whatever that is being abused.

And as far as less posting goes: We don't need people to post things like '+1' I don't think that this would cause me to post much less. I would use this to supplement the posting that I already do. If people posted less because of this, then their posts were probably unsubstantial anyway. Not only that, I don't really care that much if people post less.

This callous engineering approach doesn't make sense.

Take an example of the gas chambers at nazi camps. Are they neutral design elements that were just used poorly? Keep in mind, they were specifically designed to look like showers and so that gas could be dropped in. They were designed with dimensions that corresponded with how many bodies can fit in a furnace.

Design elements can be evil. A like button is inherently bad.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby chapcrap on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:31 am

Wow. The like button=the Holocaust. I had no idea.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:58 am

I never thought I would see Godwin's law proved in suggestions.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:17 am

I guess that it could be abused, but that doesn't make it inherently bad. A lot of things can be abused, that's human nature, not the fault of the system/object/whatever that is being abused.

I was just refuting this sentiment. One of the worst cliches by engineering-minded people.

Facebook is practically the apocalypse of the internet though, so I guess that the analogy sort of makes sense that way too.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby chapcrap on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:41 am

DoomYoshi wrote:
I guess that it could be abused, but that doesn't make it inherently bad. A lot of things can be abused, that's human nature, not the fault of the system/object/whatever that is being abused.

I was just refuting this sentiment. One of the worst cliches by engineering-minded people.

Facebook is practically the apocalypse of the internet though, so I guess that the analogy sort of makes sense that way too.

No, it was still an awful analogy. A gas chamber is in no way similar to a 'Like' button.

With the analogy you were trying to make, we basically should not have anything that can be abused and that's just silly.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:01 pm

We just need to distinguish between stuff that can be abused and stuff that is designed specifically for abuse. The like button falls into the second category.

Both cars and tanks can wreak havoc on unarmed civilians. Tanks are designed to do this, cars are not.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:25 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:We just need to distinguish between stuff that can be abused and stuff that is designed specifically for abuse. The like button falls into the second category.

I can't agree with this enough. I can totally imagine cc with a like/dislike button and the image is icky in too many ways. People would suddenly be able to bait on a whim with no way to really prove they were doing so. Basically a troll/hater paradise.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:16 am

macbone wrote:Here's something similar: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2112071

Now this suggestion from macbone is the best way to go. Sod the post likes/dislikes. Go for the users themselves. People will use it badly at first but like the ratings we have they average themselves out over time. So some idiots flaming someone will be bad for the start but after some time, they will count for very little. Also, it will show up who are the bad ones. :twisted:
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby greenoaks on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:41 am

i don't believe liking posts will add anything positive to the site.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:49 am

Add these to the smilies list.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:14 am

koontz1973 wrote:Add these to the smilies list.

If something like this must be done I believe this is the best option. ^
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:24 am

Funkyterrance wrote:

It works!
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby greenoaks on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:29 am

DoomYoshi wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

It works!

and is against forum guidelines
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:03 am

greenoaks wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

It works!

But if we are getting +1 posts already, then how would a smilie that does the job but with pretty graphics be any different? ;)

The one thing that this suggestion seems to have is that some players want it, some do not. But the ones that do cannot seem to agree on which is the best option. A like button, like/dislike buttons, rep points, etc. But all the while, we still get the +1 posts. A consensus needs to be found.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby greenoaks on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:40 am

there is no need to form a consensus on the best way to breach forum rules
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:42 am

greenoaks wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

It works!

I would argue this point. The rule is that spam is not permitted in any form. There is no particular rule against smilies. So, if +1 posts are allowed, +1 smilies are also allowed.

Now there is a specific rule that says you aren't allowed to quote something for support. It does say that QFT (+1) posts are not allowed, and it also says that a post with only smilies are not allowed. I don't think I have seen either of these rules enforced though. If you want to start reporting every post that says QFT or +1 be my guest, but I think that rule only exists if it becomes a problem.
Note that you in the same set of rules that doesn't allow QFT posts, it also doesn't allow you to post twice in a row. That only proves that these aren't rules as much as they are things to avoid. I have seen Andy post twice in a row in the Longest Thread, are you going to argue that he should be banned?
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:52 pm

DoomYoshi wrote: I have seen Andy post twice in a row in the Longest Thread, are you going to argue that he should be banned?

Forget double posts, I've seen members triple and even quadruple post without objection.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby chapcrap on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:06 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote: I have seen Andy post twice in a row in the Longest Thread, are you going to argue that he should be banned?

Forget double posts, I've seen members triple and even quadruple post without objection.

First offenses aren't worth getting banned for. ;)

Back on topic: why do you think that this is inherently bad?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:15 pm

It supports polarization.

It is much easier to click like on a post that you like and click dislike on a post you don't like than to write a moderate post detailing the strengths and weaknesses of both positions. It encourages laziness, not only in posting but most importantly in thought.

Now, I realize that almost everywhere on the internet, the point is to toot people's horns for no reason at all. But we have an opportunity here to be a bastion of moderate comment. We have all the right players - crazy liberals, conservatives, libertarians, anarchists, etc. and they all post regularly enough to make discussions viable, dynamic and interesting. A like button destroys that.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby chapcrap on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:35 pm

I disagree on how I would use a like button. If people are too lazy to have their voice heard by posting, then that is their own fault. I would not use a like button if I didn't agree with the post. I don't think you can presume to know that others would do what you have described.

I often see people browsing the forums without making any posts. If anything, I think this could give them more of a voice here since they actually are too lazy to post already.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby tj755 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:53 pm

‹Swifte› tj755 is, per the rules of the awesome-off, more awesome
Sergeant 1st Class tj755

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:09 pm

DoomYoshi wrote: It encourages laziness, not only in posting but most importantly in thought.

Bingo.
I like hearing the viewpoints of all players but I could care less who likes what because it requires close to zero independent thought and essentially adds nothing to a conversation. If anything it detracts since it artificially makes one side appear stronger/weaker without any actual further information.
"8 people like this post"? I can't think of a less informative contribution from a group of players.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby chapcrap on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:32 pm

One potential downside I see to this is people being able to edit posts that have been liked/disliked.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby agentcom on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:41 pm

That's true ... ever notice how FB doesn't let you edit posts?
Colonel agentcom

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:46 pm

chapcrap wrote:One potential downside I see to this is people being able to edit posts that have been liked/disliked.

Lolz, I hadn't thought of this...

I could write a post saying: "Chapcrap is an awesome guy and a pillar to the community!" Suddenly appears: "Chapcrap likes this post"
Ninja Edit: "Chapcrap is a doo-doo head". *audience laughs*

Very good point chapcrap. :D
Colonel Funkyterrance

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions