Conquer Club

Computer Programming

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Computer Programming

Postby jak111 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Right now I am in a Computer Programming class at school (~Ish loving it~) and it's using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Express and I'm working on a few programs at home with the things I'm learning in class for myself. Now as you may know I have a story based mafia coming up toward the beginning of 2013 and will be creating a few programs to help keep track of certain things within the game.

Basically, I wish to know if anyone would be interested in the executable file for it to use for their own games in the future. If you have even a slight sense of programming and have the free Visual Studio 2010 Express downloaded and wish to add to it, feel free to ask for the full file, but I plan on adding to it myself once I get it programmed ^^
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Re: Computer Programming

Postby pancakemix on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:47 pm

I believe shield had a vote counting program that was somewhat popular. He's not around, so I'd ask someone who actually uses it to chime in.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby jak111 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:19 pm

I believe he did but I'm not quite sure how to implement his into Visual Studio, nor would I be fond of looking through the coding and deciphering what does what before taking it apart and reassembling it to fulfill the tasks I want it to complete.

Don't get me wrong viewtopic.php?f=609&t=144946 it's a really good program, but I want to try to expand it a bit and perhaps add a bit of flavour to the design of it along with action compatibility to reduce the workload for moderators. Mind you the action compatibility would be limited as it'd require EVERY role that it tracks to be programmed in what it does. Since a lot of us make up unique roles, that just wouldn't be possible.

I'm going to be looking at a mess by the time I'm done with a presentable copy of the program but I'll do my best to keep the code nice and tidy for anyone who wishes access to it later on and I'll also try to include comments in the code itself for those who cannot figure out what a line of code is doing to the program.

But there is a problem that I will be running into if I do not get some assistance with (wont be needing help now, but before it's released I'll need some help) is to be able to open and save data onto the computer so that way when someone uses the program it will not restart from scratch every single time it is opened up. That will be the biggest challenge of the entire thing from my point of view at the moment.

Updates on the program I'll try to provide every week with what's going on and asking for help if I am stuck with something. For those who haven't used it but are aware of programming languages it mostly uses C and C++ coding, although others are able if you download an add-on to upgrade it.

Although I do not want to sound rude when I say this, but if statements like:

"Dim Counter As Integer"

"If Counter > Total Then
MsgBox("Player " & Player & " has been lynched.")
End If"

^ If those two functions look completely alien to you and you have no clue what it means, then I ask that you do not waste my time when I ask for help with programming this. I do not mind helping other beginners out with learning to program, but don't waste my time with do this or do that if you can't grasp how hard it is to program very simplistic programs. I'll be putting my time into this and making sure it runes smoothly with very few bugs and/or crash errors. So if your message to me starts off with "Add x amount of roles to your program" I am literally going to close the message and ignore it. With the time frame I'm setting for myself at this moment, I'll be lucky to have what I want in it by the time I need it to be operational.

Sorry if the above offends anyone, I don't mean to sound like an ass, but I have myself under a pretty strict timeline to get a functional version of this out and it's less than 6 weeks away.
Highest Rank:

Private 1st Class jak111

Postby new guy1 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:08 pm

I understand what the line of code you gave basically does, and if you would like when I get some more experience in the field, I can help you out with the coding of it. Just hit me up with a PM if you're interested.
Sergeant new guy1

Postby blakebowling on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:48 am

IMO learn something other than visual basic, it's terrible.

That being said, I'm all for another scum-hunting programmer on CC.
Private blakebowling

Postby jak111 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:10 pm

blakebowling wrote:IMO learn something other than visual basic, it's terrible.

Hmm, what would you suggest for a beginner-ish to use? I know Visual Basic is limited but it's pretty easy to use as it is.
Highest Rank:

Private 1st Class jak111

Postby blakebowling on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:28 am

jak111 wrote:
blakebowling wrote:IMO learn something other than visual basic, it's terrible.

Hmm, what would you suggest for a beginner-ish to use? I know Visual Basic is limited but it's pretty easy to use as it is.

I started learning Java, however it also has its limitations (though possibly fewer as it isn't a Microsoft product). Python is also a great language to learn, it's online documentation is beautiful.
Private blakebowling

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:38 am

blakebowling wrote: Python is also a great language to learn, it's online documentation is beautiful.

+1000

Learn python. Very easy, very intuitive, very useful, amazing libraries.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby jak111 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:31 pm

Hmm, Python eh? We're supposed to be learning Python for a competition coming up around February with Python. I'll give it a shot and see if I can't up people when the competition comes ;)
Highest Rank:

Private 1st Class jak111

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Hey, trying to make a voting program? Nice!

I agree, despite the excellent convenience that my program provides, it does need some improvements and is so old that it is due for an update. However, being busy with other programming projects, I have not had much time to upgrade it. I am entirely willing to help you on this quest for a voting program.

That is, if you're still up for the task. I see this has been here since November, so I hope you're still interested all the way into March. Perhaps you've already got a bit done on it. Well in that case, I'm interested in seeing what you've done so far!

-SG7 ( 8-) )
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby jak111 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:25 pm

I have had it on stand-by for a while, will try to get what I have so far out sometime during March Break, might be a while before I even finish a good working version but it's nice to have pet projects on the go :)
Highest Rank:

Private 1st Class jak111

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:22 am

jak111 wrote:I have had it on stand-by for a while, will try to get what I have so far out sometime during March Break, might be a while before I even finish a good working version but it's nice to have pet projects on the go :)

Cool! So who did you get to help you with it? I can I see a working version before you release it?

-SG7 ( 8-) )
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.

Postby jak111 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:33 am

No one, it's just been me, myself, and I so far, and sure. Let me whip up the files and upload them. Give me till this coming Saturday to get them all set up, got a busy schedule this week with school work.
Highest Rank:

Private 1st Class jak111

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:07 pm

jak111 wrote:No one, it's just been me, myself, and I so far, and sure. Let me whip up the files and upload them. Give me till this coming Saturday to get them all set up, got a busy schedule this week with school work.

Sounds good! Looking forward to see what approach you took

-SG7 ( :ugeek: )

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:16 am

Wait, so are you using Visual BASIC or C/C++? You sort of sound like you contradicted yourself:
I know Visual Basic

Updates on the program I'll try to provide every week with what's going on and asking for help if I am stuck with something. For those who haven't used it but are aware of programming languages it mostly uses C and C++ coding

I guess I don't know enough (or anything, really) about Visual Basic but I know C++ and Java well (relatively well, that is).
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby blakebowling on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:45 am

Army of GOD wrote:Wait, so are you using Visual BASIC or C/C++? You sort of sound like you contradicted yourself:
I know Visual Basic

Updates on the program I'll try to provide every week with what's going on and asking for help if I am stuck with something. For those who haven't used it but are aware of programming languages it mostly uses C and C++ coding

I guess I don't know enough (or anything, really) about Visual Basic but I know C++ and Java well (relatively well, that is).

Visual Basic is also the Microsoft IDE for C/C++ now. It's still terrible though.
Private blakebowling

Postby jak111 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:03 am

^ What he said.

It's basically a Microsoft program that to me personally is better on the eyes and I have this issue with spacing and shit that unless it's exactly like I want it I get pissed and frustrated. Microsoft Visual Studios pretty much has the perfect set-up for stress free programming. Though I will have to switch over to another program later on in life, but until that day comes I am going to push Visual Studios to its bare limits and make it feel like a used toy coming out of prison.

Revenge of the Nerds... :ugeek:
Highest Rank:

Private 1st Class jak111

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:40 am

Sounds like it's going to look real nice you finish it!

Return to Mafia Discussions