Conquer Club

[GO] Speed Games Don't Start Until Both Players Acknowledge

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[GO] Speed Games Don't Start Until Both Players Acknowledge

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:14 pm

Concise description:

When waiting for a speed game to start, the game does not start automatically when two players join. Both players have to accept the beginning of the game for it to begin.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

Considering how long it takes these days for a speed game to start it seems like there should be more of a failsafe for leaving a waiting speeder to go to the bathroom or something. If there was one more stage of accepting before the game actually started you would have more freedom to start speed games and not be handcuffed to the computer while waiting. If you join a game and the other player seems to have left you just drop it and go to another. No harm done.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Re: Speed Games Don't Start Until Both Players Acknowledge

Postby agentcom on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:24 pm

Seems like it would make 8-player speeders really hard to start. How many times do you see at least one player miss their first turn, even if they come back to play later. If every time this acknowledgment period was not met by a player, the game got kicked back out to sign-ups, I think it cause annoyance.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:33 pm

agentcom wrote:Seems like it would make 8-player speeders really hard to start. How many times do you see at least one player miss their first turn, even if they come back to play later. If every time this acknowledgment period was not met by a player, the game got kicked back out to sign-ups, I think it cause annoyance.

True, but at least it would keep the flow going. It would be annoying but you would get your game eventually and would most likely forget the annoyance as soon as the game started. :D
I am a player who generally hops on and off and doesn't stay at the actual computer for more than a few minutes at a time. This eliminates me from most speed games these days as I don't have time to wait for them to start. I have to admit I didn't used to have this problem.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:23 pm

agentcom wrote:Seems like it would make 8-player speeders really hard to start. How many times do you see at least one player miss their first turn, even if they come back to play later. If every time this acknowledgment period was not met by a player, the game got kicked back out to sign-ups, I think it cause annoyance.

This is pretty much the death knell for this suggestion. If you're going to go away from your computer for a period of time such that you could potentially miss your first turn, drop the game if it is important to you not to do so.

If I join a 1v1 and my opponent misses the first turn because he hasn't seen the game yet, I'm not going to complain. That increases my chances of winning substantially.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby IcePack on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:46 pm

Yeah, -1 for reasons already mentioned

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Arama86n on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:51 pm

:idea:

When the last player joined a message is sent to your inbox (like it is now, or used to be anyway), and a countdown timer begins, nothing big, somewhere in the ballpark of 30-120 seconds (I like 60-90ish),that gives your average joe who's gone to take a whizz time to get his pants buttoned up, and it is't a huge inconvenience for the person waiting.
Major Arama86n

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:00 pm

Arama86n wrote::idea:

When the last player joined a message is sent to your inbox (like it is now, or used to be anyway), and a countdown timer begins, nothing big, somewhere in the ballpark of 30-120 seconds (I like 60-90ish),that gives your average joe who's gone to take a whizz time to get his pants buttoned up, and it is't a huge inconvenience for the person waiting.

I could get behind this. Even if you're at your computer, it does take a finite amount of time for whoever is going first to realize the game is up and study the initial drop before playing. This time then takes away from the time it takes to actually make your moves, which can be significant for 1 or 2 minute speed games. Anyone who goes after that doesn't have this problem because they can use player one's time to do the same thing. So I would fully support any functionality that delays the start of the game by, say, one or two minutes.

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:

This is pretty much the death knell for this suggestion. If you're going to go away from your computer for a period of time such that you could potentially miss your first turn, drop the game if it is important to you not to do so.

If I join a 1v1 and my opponent misses the first turn because he hasn't seen the game yet, I'm not going to complain. That increases my chances of winning substantially.

Could it be optional then? This way the people who don't mind sitting at their comp waiting for a game to start could do so and those who would like to have to accept the game didn't have to be glued to theirs.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:30 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

Could it be optional then? This way the people who don't mind sitting at their comp waiting for a game to start could do so and those who would like to have to accept the game didn't have to be glued to theirs.

I'm not keen on this idea. The reason is that it can be used for nefarious purposes. That is, a player could start a public game and then refuse to accept it when they don't like the ranks of the players that joined.

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:44 pm

I think anything to add MORE variety to speed games will only limit even more how many people play, some people won't join other games if they have the option between the two and this seperates players even more I think. Just my 2cents
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby chapcrap on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:41 pm

The direction the suggestion is heading has been suggested before, by HighlanderAttack. He advocated a 30 time limit. His reasoning was for everyone to have a chance in those freestyle ass doodles.

No matter the reason, I would much rather have a small countdown of sorts than Funky's original proposal here.

As far as what swimmer says, I believe that is true. However, I don't think this would be an option, but a change to the current system, correct?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:04 pm

swimmerdude99 wrote:I think anything to add MORE variety to speed games will only limit even more how many people play, some people won't join other games if they have the option between the two and this seperates players even more I think. Just my 2cents

Ok, if having more speeders is the goal then more options may in fact produce more games, instead of the opposite. I personally do not play speeders because I can't hang around for them to start. If this is true in my case then is it not possible that there are others who do not play them for this very same reason? I don't think it's safe to assume that more options would necessarily produce less active speed games. Besides, there could be a "don't care" option that meant that you just want to get in a game. In fact, this would most likely be the most popular option imho.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby MoB Deadly on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:14 pm

chapcrap wrote:The direction the suggestion is heading has been suggested before, by HighlanderAttack. He advocated a 30 time limit. His reasoning was for everyone to have a chance in those freestyle ass doodles.

No matter the reason, I would much rather have a small countdown of sorts than Funky's original proposal here.

As far as what swimmer says, I believe that is true. However, I don't think this would be an option, but a change to the current system, correct?

A 30-60 second time period sounds like a perfect solution to me. Everyone has a chance to analyze the board and make a strategy, but no one can start their turn until the period is over.
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal 1st Class MoB Deadly

Postby Kaskavel on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:21 pm

I agree with suggestion, especialy in the way chapcrap and MoB defines it
Colonel Kaskavel

Postby chapcrap on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
swimmerdude99 wrote:I think anything to add MORE variety to speed games will only limit even more how many people play, some people won't join other games if they have the option between the two and this seperates players even more I think. Just my 2cents

Ok, if having more speeders is the goal then more options may in fact produce more games, instead of the opposite. I personally do not play speeders because I can't hang around for them to start. If this is true in my case then is it not possible that there are others who do not play them for this very same reason? I don't think it's safe to assume that more options would necessarily produce less active speed games. Besides, there could be a "don't care" option that meant that you just want to get in a game. In fact, this would most likely be the most popular option imho.

What he is saying is that a lot of people specialize in certain settings for speed games. Giving more options means more specialties and less games would start because people will ONLY play their specialties.

I tend to agree with swimmer about that.
MoB Deadly wrote:
chapcrap wrote:The direction the suggestion is heading has been suggested before, by HighlanderAttack. He advocated a 30 time limit. His reasoning was for everyone to have a chance in those freestyle ass doodles.

A 30-60 second time period sounds like a perfect solution to me. Everyone has a chance to analyze the board and make a strategy, but no one can start their turn until the period is over.

Kaskavel wrote:I agree with suggestion, especialy in the way chapcrap and MoB defines it

Here is HA's suggestion post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=160744#p3534718
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby waltero on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:54 pm

Once a game starts, It does not always notify a person that the game has Started.

What if everybody press Start game button...then those who do not press (in the allotted time limit) the start button get kicked from the game.
Game would continue to wait for players.

@ the players who do not care if an opponent knows that the game has started. Maybe you should post a note on his wall. Who wants to score a win that way!

I for one wish to have the best game possible. I often tell my opponent what he might be doing wrong (while in game) in an attempt to have a great game.
Cook waltero

Return to Suggestions