Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Should NASA turn Voyager I around and bring it back to Earth?

YES
9
33%
NO
18
67%
 
Total votes : 27

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:49 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Wtf? The military is a completely different subject and doesn't affect the fact that NASA is a waste. The advances gained through NASA are paltry compared to the amount of money dumped into the program.


Are they? For $18 billion dollars per year, what exactly do you expect out of them?


Meaning advances that can be useful to purposes other than NASA, to clarify. If anyone argues cell phones I'm going to laugh, btw.


So you don't have a problem with funding NASA, you have a problem with funding space science.

THIS is why we invest in science. This.
User avatar
Lieutenant Metsfanmax
 
Posts: 4253
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:01 pm
Location: NY
Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (7)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:19 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Wtf? The military is a completely different subject and doesn't affect the fact that NASA is a waste. The advances gained through NASA are paltry compared to the amount of money dumped into the program.


Are they? For $18 billion dollars per year, what exactly do you expect out of them?


Meaning advances that can be useful to purposes other than NASA, to clarify. If anyone argues cell phones I'm going to laugh, btw.


So you don't have a problem with funding NASA, you have a problem with funding space science.

THIS is why we invest in science. This.


Yeah, more or less. But I don't see why we have to fund the, for the most part, useless stuff along with the obviously beneficial.

NASA wrote: We will be at the forefront of exploration and science. We will develop and transfer to industry cutting-edge technologies in aeronautics and space to fulfill our national needs. We will establish a permanent human presence in space, expanding and sustaining human exploration, use, and development of space in our solar system and providing benefits in science, technology, and commerce that will contribute to a better life on the Earth for this and future generations. As we pursue our mission, we will enrich our Nation's society and economy. We will communicate widely the content, relevancy, and excitement of NASA's missions and discoveries to inspire and to increase understanding and the broad application of science and technology.


Half of this shit is rainbows and daydreams. Cut out the bs and get real.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby 2dimes on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:23 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Half of this shit is rainbows and daydreams. Cut out the bs and get real.

Now you've upset my unicorn.
User avatar
Private 1st Class 2dimes
 
Posts: 3988
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Just out for a rip!
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:57 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:Half of this shit is rainbows and daydreams. Cut out the bs and get real.


If by BS you mean anything that doesn't have an immediate practical utility, then the BS is probably more important than the practical applications.

The BS is one of the few things in today's world that reminds us of what's important. It's one of the few things most people are aware of that reminds us of the real relevance of all the current hot issues. Every time the space program gives us a glimpse of earth as the speck of dust it is, we are reminded, at least on some level, that 50 years from now all the pressing issues of the day will be completely meaningless, that no one will give a shit what Obama said last week or which party won majority in the last elections.

The BS not only reminds us of the insignificance of all the things we hold so dear, it also gives us a glimpse of humanity's potential, with every new insight about the universe it makes us wonder what we, humans, might be able to achieve if we could work just a tiny bit harder at putting our petty issues behind us.

Culture doesn't form in void. If we teach our kids to only think about the next 10 years, then that's the culture we will have and we'll probably end up killing each other before long. Science keeps marching ever ahead, culture has to follow it if we have any hope of avoiding anihilation/dystopia. Investment in stuff like NASA is one of the best ways I know of encouraging cultural growth.

Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
User avatar
Major Haggis_McMutton
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:32 am
Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:24 am

sending voyager was a do or die thing at the time i think. just had a small window to send it where it would pass all the planets. next possible time was like a hundred years or maybe a thousand.... anyway. a long time.

so it was more of a recon mission. at least we now have a pretty good idea there's not an alien race on neptune plannning an invasion on earth. probably saved us a bunch of money in the long run. ( plasma defense rockets, death ray gun force fields, tractor beams...etc. ) now we can just look at faint wobbles from distant stars and guess that there are planets that may carry life 800 million times farther away than where voyager is right now. maybe when we become extinct earth will create it's own super race that can put voyager to use as a satellite on a distant galaxy.
the options are really endless if you consider anything is possible.

i will say though, i'm a bit freaked out that we sent so much information about us out with voyager. i would have never have pulled the trigger on that one.

it creeps me out just listening to this.
Image
User avatar
Major WILLIAMS5232
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: houston texas
Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (30)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:03 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Half of this shit is rainbows and daydreams. Cut out the bs and get real.


If by BS you mean anything that doesn't have an immediate practical utility, then the BS is probably more important than the practical applications.

The BS is one of the few things in today's world that reminds us of what's important. It's one of the few things most people are aware of that reminds us of the real relevance of all the current hot issues. Every time the space program gives us a glimpse of earth as the speck of dust it is, we are reminded, at least on some level, that 50 years from now all the pressing issues of the day will be completely meaningless, that no one will give a shit what Obama said last week or which party won majority in the last elections.

The BS not only reminds us of the insignificance of all the things we hold so dear, it also gives us a glimpse of humanity's potential, with every new insight about the universe it makes us wonder what we, humans, might be able to achieve if we could work just a tiny bit harder at putting our petty issues behind us.

Culture doesn't form in void. If we teach our kids to only think about the next 10 years, then that's the culture we will have and we'll probably end up killing each other before long. Science keeps marching ever ahead, culture has to follow it if we have any hope of avoiding anihilation/dystopia. Investment in stuff like NASA is one of the best ways I know of encouraging cultural growth.


Ok, aside from what your teacher told you in the 4th grade, do you have any real defense for space exploration besides you think it's "neat"? Your above statement is a prime example of an extremely sheltered point of view. I don't mean to be overly harsh but this is the exact mentality that causes crises in terms of resources. Do you think the droves of people out there pleasure driving their cars are enriching the world with their personal "endeavors"? No, they are masturbating, just like NASA does with it's rockets. We know that the earth is a speck in the grand scheme of things, we don't need billions of dollars spent to remind us.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:39 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Half of this shit is rainbows and daydreams. Cut out the bs and get real.


If by BS you mean anything that doesn't have an immediate practical utility, then the BS is probably more important than the practical applications.

The BS is one of the few things in today's world that reminds us of what's important. It's one of the few things most people are aware of that reminds us of the real relevance of all the current hot issues. Every time the space program gives us a glimpse of earth as the speck of dust it is, we are reminded, at least on some level, that 50 years from now all the pressing issues of the day will be completely meaningless, that no one will give a shit what Obama said last week or which party won majority in the last elections.

The BS not only reminds us of the insignificance of all the things we hold so dear, it also gives us a glimpse of humanity's potential, with every new insight about the universe it makes us wonder what we, humans, might be able to achieve if we could work just a tiny bit harder at putting our petty issues behind us.

Culture doesn't form in void. If we teach our kids to only think about the next 10 years, then that's the culture we will have and we'll probably end up killing each other before long. Science keeps marching ever ahead, culture has to follow it if we have any hope of avoiding anihilation/dystopia. Investment in stuff like NASA is one of the best ways I know of encouraging cultural growth.


Ok, aside from what your teacher told you in the 4th grade, do you have any real defense for space exploration besides you think it's "neat"? Your above statement is a prime example of an extremely sheltered point of view. I don't mean to be overly harsh but this is the exact mentality that causes crises in terms of resources. Do you think the droves of people out there pleasure driving their cars are enriching the world with their personal "endeavors"? No, they are masturbating, just like NASA does with it's rockets. We know that the earth is a speck in the grand scheme of things, we don't need billions of dollars spent to remind us.


Not really much of the entrepreneurial or imaginative type, are ya?

-TG
ImageEight-year olds, Dude.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:52 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby AAFitz on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 am

dyrtydog wrote:not if they were made of Twinkies


Wheres the damn like button?
john9blue wrote:"honestly i think martin might be better off dead"

sekretar: "i go to russia and then, without comp, i hoppe, i forgot this shit who kill my nerves long time!"

http://i.imgur.com/zU8yLiU.gif
User avatar
Lieutenant AAFitz
 
Posts: 7238
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:47 am
Location: On top of the World 2.1
Medals: 84
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby x-raider on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:30 pm

Words say stuff.
So does a video:

I actually found this animator by stalking victor sullivan.

;)
-x
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class x-raider
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:32 am
Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:42 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Half of this shit is rainbows and daydreams. Cut out the bs and get real.


If by BS you mean anything that doesn't have an immediate practical utility, then the BS is probably more important than the practical applications.

The BS is one of the few things in today's world that reminds us of what's important. It's one of the few things most people are aware of that reminds us of the real relevance of all the current hot issues. Every time the space program gives us a glimpse of earth as the speck of dust it is, we are reminded, at least on some level, that 50 years from now all the pressing issues of the day will be completely meaningless, that no one will give a shit what Obama said last week or which party won majority in the last elections.

The BS not only reminds us of the insignificance of all the things we hold so dear, it also gives us a glimpse of humanity's potential, with every new insight about the universe it makes us wonder what we, humans, might be able to achieve if we could work just a tiny bit harder at putting our petty issues behind us.

Culture doesn't form in void. If we teach our kids to only think about the next 10 years, then that's the culture we will have and we'll probably end up killing each other before long. Science keeps marching ever ahead, culture has to follow it if we have any hope of avoiding anihilation/dystopia. Investment in stuff like NASA is one of the best ways I know of encouraging cultural growth.


Ok, aside from what your teacher told you in the 4th grade, do you have any real defense for space exploration besides you think it's "neat"? Your above statement is a prime example of an extremely sheltered point of view. I don't mean to be overly harsh but this is the exact mentality that causes crises in terms of resources. Do you think the droves of people out there pleasure driving their cars are enriching the world with their personal "endeavors"? No, they are masturbating, just like NASA does with it's rockets. We know that the earth is a speck in the grand scheme of things, we don't need billions of dollars spent to remind us.


Not really much of the entrepreneurial or imaginative type, are ya?

-TG


Caveat - I have no problem with NASA or my tax dollars going to scientific exploration.

Someone who wants to defund NASA does not necessarily lack in entrepreneurial traits or imagination. NASA is a goverment agency, which seems to be more of the problem than what it actually does. For example, I would prefer not to give money to welfare recipients. Does this mean that I'm not charitable? Of course not. It means I don't want the government to do it.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:23 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Half of this shit is rainbows and daydreams. Cut out the bs and get real.


If by BS you mean anything that doesn't have an immediate practical utility, then the BS is probably more important than the practical applications.

The BS is one of the few things in today's world that reminds us of what's important. It's one of the few things most people are aware of that reminds us of the real relevance of all the current hot issues. Every time the space program gives us a glimpse of earth as the speck of dust it is, we are reminded, at least on some level, that 50 years from now all the pressing issues of the day will be completely meaningless, that no one will give a shit what Obama said last week or which party won majority in the last elections.

The BS not only reminds us of the insignificance of all the things we hold so dear, it also gives us a glimpse of humanity's potential, with every new insight about the universe it makes us wonder what we, humans, might be able to achieve if we could work just a tiny bit harder at putting our petty issues behind us.

Culture doesn't form in void. If we teach our kids to only think about the next 10 years, then that's the culture we will have and we'll probably end up killing each other before long. Science keeps marching ever ahead, culture has to follow it if we have any hope of avoiding anihilation/dystopia. Investment in stuff like NASA is one of the best ways I know of encouraging cultural growth.


Ok, aside from what your teacher told you in the 4th grade, do you have any real defense for space exploration besides you think it's "neat"? Your above statement is a prime example of an extremely sheltered point of view. I don't mean to be overly harsh but this is the exact mentality that causes crises in terms of resources. Do you think the droves of people out there pleasure driving their cars are enriching the world with their personal "endeavors"? No, they are masturbating, just like NASA does with it's rockets. We know that the earth is a speck in the grand scheme of things, we don't need billions of dollars spent to remind us.


Not really much of the entrepreneurial or imaginative type, are ya?

-TG


Caveat - I have no problem with NASA or my tax dollars going to scientific exploration.

Someone who wants to defund NASA does not necessarily lack in entrepreneurial traits or imagination. NASA is a goverment agency, which seems to be more of the problem than what it actually does. For example, I would prefer not to give money to welfare recipients. Does this mean that I'm not charitable? Of course not. It means I don't want the government to do it.


He replied to Mets that he doesn't have a problem with funding to NASA, just the space exploration. I can only question why somebody would be opposed to defunding NASA's primary objective, which could very well prove to be the greatest advent of mankind through the acquisition of more resources and knowledge and consequently better standards of living, but approves of funding for immediate gains. Therefore, if the shoe fits and all that...

Don't get me wrong, I am opposed to coercion in all its forms, including the tax schemes of the gov't. However, such as it is, to decry funding to NASA because of its perceived lessened benefits when NASA receives less than one percent of the budget while not saying anything about the much more wasteful avenues of the federal gov't (military, social security, etc.) is silly. The pursuit of knowledge almost always pays off. To use your example, welfare often doesn't.

-TG
ImageEight-year olds, Dude.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:52 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:29 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Half of this shit is rainbows and daydreams. Cut out the bs and get real.


If by BS you mean anything that doesn't have an immediate practical utility, then the BS is probably more important than the practical applications.

The BS is one of the few things in today's world that reminds us of what's important. It's one of the few things most people are aware of that reminds us of the real relevance of all the current hot issues. Every time the space program gives us a glimpse of earth as the speck of dust it is, we are reminded, at least on some level, that 50 years from now all the pressing issues of the day will be completely meaningless, that no one will give a shit what Obama said last week or which party won majority in the last elections.

The BS not only reminds us of the insignificance of all the things we hold so dear, it also gives us a glimpse of humanity's potential, with every new insight about the universe it makes us wonder what we, humans, might be able to achieve if we could work just a tiny bit harder at putting our petty issues behind us.

Culture doesn't form in void. If we teach our kids to only think about the next 10 years, then that's the culture we will have and we'll probably end up killing each other before long. Science keeps marching ever ahead, culture has to follow it if we have any hope of avoiding anihilation/dystopia. Investment in stuff like NASA is one of the best ways I know of encouraging cultural growth.


Ok, aside from what your teacher told you in the 4th grade, do you have any real defense for space exploration besides you think it's "neat"? Your above statement is a prime example of an extremely sheltered point of view. I don't mean to be overly harsh but this is the exact mentality that causes crises in terms of resources. Do you think the droves of people out there pleasure driving their cars are enriching the world with their personal "endeavors"? No, they are masturbating, just like NASA does with it's rockets. We know that the earth is a speck in the grand scheme of things, we don't need billions of dollars spent to remind us.


Not really much of the entrepreneurial or imaginative type, are ya?

-TG


Caveat - I have no problem with NASA or my tax dollars going to scientific exploration.

Someone who wants to defund NASA does not necessarily lack in entrepreneurial traits or imagination. NASA is a goverment agency, which seems to be more of the problem than what it actually does. For example, I would prefer not to give money to welfare recipients. Does this mean that I'm not charitable? Of course not. It means I don't want the government to do it.


He replied to Mets that he doesn't have a problem with funding to NASA, just the space exploration. I can only question why somebody would be opposed to defunding NASA's primary objective, which could very well prove to be the greatest advent of mankind through the acquisition of more resources and knowledge and consequently better standards of living, but approves of funding for immediate gains. Therefore, if the shoe fits and all that...

Don't get me wrong, I am opposed to coercion in all its forms, including the tax schemes of the gov't. However, such as it is, to decry funding to NASA because of its perceived lessened benefits when NASA receives less than one percent of the budget while not saying anything about the much more wasteful avenues of the federal gov't (military, social security, etc.) is silly. The pursuit of knowledge almost always pays off. To use your example, welfare often doesn't.

-TG


That's fair. I'm just not sure Terrance was being as, I don't know, against knowledge, as you were making him out to be.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby tzor on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:32 am

Funkyterrance wrote:So essentially the satellite is the dead car to our galactic front yard.


Not exactly. The scale is wrong, a dead car takes up a visible percentage of the front yard. Think more of a lost, dead iPod shuffle in your front yard. You get close but you still don't get how vast space is and how small Voyager is.

It's modern art at its finest! (I realize that is not saying much!)
Image
User avatar
Corporal tzor
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:43 pm
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:23 am

Every time we get an update from Voyager 1, it's history in the making:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/06/voyager-unexpected-region/
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby tzor on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:18 am

Fascinating.
Image
User avatar
Corporal tzor
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:43 pm
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby patches70 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:26 am

It's not worth bothering with Voyager. A few quick calculations on the blue book value. It's 36 years old, in no where near mint condition and with a whopping 18,650,000,000,000 km of mileage on it, the blue book value on Voyager comes to (negative) -$18,000,000,000.

I don't think Voyager is worth salvaging....
Corporal patches70
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:44 pm
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:34 am

User avatar
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite
 
Posts: 11494
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 136
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (19)
General Achievement (15) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (31)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Woodruff wrote:Every time we get an update from Voyager 1, it's history in the making:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/06/voyager-unexpected-region/


how odd. I thought the scientists had all banded together in a god-hating conspiracy to keep us ignorant. Don't tell me they're admitting they don't know something.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:51 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Every time we get an update from Voyager 1, it's history in the making:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/06/voyager-unexpected-region/


how odd. I thought the scientists had all banded together in a god-hating conspiracy to keep us ignorant. Don't tell me they're admitting they don't know something.


This is just a blip, Jonsey. Don't worry, the Secret Society of Scientists with Unknowable and Clandestine Knowledge (SSSUCK) will step in to correct things soon.


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25586
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:45 pm

Ok, if this thread gets a bump then I'm bumping Bedknobs and Broomsticks again.
Image
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:Ok, if this thread gets a bump then I'm bumping Bedknobs and Broomsticks again.


You don't think the bump was relevant?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:21 pm

Yeah I suppose it is in a once-removed sort of way...
I saw an ad for the Bedknobs and Broomsticks 40th anniversary special edition Blu-Ray too today though.
Image
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby tzor on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:00 pm

patches70 wrote:It's not worth bothering with Voyager. A few quick calculations on the blue book value.


It's an almost unique item. You would be surprised what it would fetch at the antiques road show.
Image
User avatar
Corporal tzor
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:43 pm
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:34 pm

tzor wrote:
patches70 wrote:It's not worth bothering with Voyager. A few quick calculations on the blue book value.


It's an almost unique item. You would be surprised what it would fetch at the antiques road show.



the gold record alone could be worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars
Image
User avatar
Major WILLIAMS5232
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: houston texas
Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (30)

Re: Should NASA turn Voyager I back around?

Postby john9blue on Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:06 am

the awesome thing about satellites is that they keep going when they run out of gas

also i can't believe i missed out on saxi's bellsprout/BITBBH gifs

you know the way to my heart, uncle sack see
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dario2099, mrswdk

Login