In an effort to direct most US political discussion to one thread, I am creating this thread to further discussion about the president and his policies. I will be occasionally posting items related to the president. However, the items I post will only be with respect to laws he's signed, orders he's given, or policies he's enacted. I will not be posting anything about his college transcripts, birth certificates, class warfare rhetoric, or any other crap.
I hope to show that Barack Obama is and will be a good [deleted] conservative, 1990s Republican president.
Let's have a recap of the first three years and change:
Economic Laws and Policies
- Signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act - revised the statute of limitations for filing pay discrimination lawsuits.
- Signed the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act - the first bailout, which was a combination of tax breaks, infrastructure projects, welfare extensions, and education. Cost - $787 billion and $1.2 trillion with debt service included.
- Proposed new regulations on power plants, factories and oil refineries to limit greenhouse gas emissions.
- Signed the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act, which ends the process of government giving subsidies to banks to give out federally insured loans; increased the Pell Grant scholarship awards.
- Introduced the Public-Private Investment Program for Legacy Assets, which contains provisions for buying up to $2 trillion in depreciated real estate assets.
- Renewed loans for GM and Chrysler to continue operations.
- Signed the Car Allowance Rebate System (cash for clunkers).
- Signed the Budget Control Act of 2011, which limits distrectionary spending until 2021, establishes procedures to increase the debt limit, creates a congressional committee on debt reduction.
- Signed the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010, which included a temporary extension of the Bush tax cuts, a payroll tax reduction, continuation of unemployment benefits, and a new estate tax rate and exemption amount.
- Signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act which expands Medicaid eligibility, susidizes insurance premiums, provides incentives for companies to provide healthcare benefits, prohibits denial of coverage and claims on pre-existing conditions, establishes health insurance exchanges, prohibits annual coverage caps, and supports medical research; includes taxes, fees, and cost-saving measures including Medicare taxes, taxes on indoor tanning, cuts to the Medicare Advantage program, the medical device excise tax, and penalties for those who do not obtain health insurance. Immediately and continuously obtained waivers for certain companies.
Social Laws and Policies
- Lifted restrictions on embryonic stem cell research.
- Signed the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Hate Crimes Prevention Act which expands hate crimes to include crimes motivated by actual or perceived gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
- Signed the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell
- Suspended the Gitmo Military Commission and ordered the detention facility to be shut down (Congressional inaction resulted in the facility not being closed).
- Banned torture in the interrogation of terror suspects.
- Signed the New START treaty on reducing the number of long-range nuclear weapons.
- Ordered the exit of the last U.S. combat brigade in Iraq on August 19, 2010
- Increased troops in Afghanistan.
- Increased military cooperation with Israel, including military aid, the reestablishment of the US-Israeli Joint Political Military Group, and the Defense Policy Advisory Group; vetoed a UN Security Council resolution condemning Israeli settlements.
- Ordered air strikes in Libya.
- Ordered the killing of Osama bin Laden.
Other Laws and Policies
- Announced stricter guidelines for lobbyists in the White House. Immediately requested a waiver for certain appointments.
- Appointed two Supreme Court justices.
Last edited by thegreekdog
on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.