Conquer Club

Dead locked games

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Dead locked games

Postby generalhead on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:38 pm

Does any one have any good strategy on how to keep a game from becoming deadlocked or once it is deadlocked how to move it out of deadlock?
I was just curious if anyone had a hint or a clue.
Sergeant generalhead

Re: Dead locked games

Postby JustCallMeStupid on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:16 pm

Most of us upper ranked players play a tie breaker game on any map but usually the same map or classical map. Escalating cards is important as it most likely ensures a winner. Winner of tiebreaker map gets to win the original map. U have to have everyone agree to this in the original game though and most people are fair and will play by the rules after a winner is determined. Also, its really fun to auto attack ur 500 stack into that other guys 550 attack and see what happens for laughs.

If you wish to avoid stalemates in general there are some general rules never play on the below map rules to minimize stalemates:
Sunny - No cards, 4 or more single players
Sunny - Flat cards, 4 or more single players

If you like those settings I suggest team games. If you like sunny, escalating is best for single player games (it also involves more skill to win)
If you like those card styles its best to do so on foggy settings also, terminator or other non standard settings help too.

Hope this helps.
Major JustCallMeStupid

Postby generalhead on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:08 am

Thank you for the info JCMS.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby AyeTrain on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:24 am

Patience. That's all there is to it. Eventually, someone will make a mistake, and you need to position yourself to take advantage. A tie-breaker game like JCMS mentioned is a good idea, but not an option if any player is freemium. I've heard of games where everyone agreed to just go all-out and let the dice gods decide, but I haven't been part of one of those. Seems like it'd be hard to make it fair.

Stalemate can be kinda fun if everyone is a good player. I guess it depends on whether everyone is at near-parity (in which case nobody will move), or if it's a stalemate where everyone is allied against the big player but no one can risk taking him down altogether.
Lieutenant AyeTrain

Postby JediJoe on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:25 pm

Sometimes it helps to use a little diplomacy. It depends on how the other players approach the game.

If someone has a hot head, try to instigate a fight between them and someone else. Once one big fight breaks out in a stalemated game, it usually doesn't take long for someone else to take advantage of the situation. Also watch for any non-members in the game, since they only have a 4 game limit they're not likely to want to stick around in a stalemated game. You might be able to nudge them into starting a war with someone (other than you!).

I've got an existing game (Game 10123176), that just went past the 1 year mark this month. Its an 8 player World 2.1, foggy, no spoils game. Its down to 3 of us with no end in sight. I've been the game leader for a while, but our troop levels are so high I doubt I have much of an advantage. To be honest, I'm not sure where to go with this one... There have been a few times (once just a couple turns ago), where 2 of us have come close to going total war - just hasn't happened yet.

Most stalemated games that I've played, we've either decided to play another escalating tie-breaker game, or someone ends up suiciding, setting off chaos. Best bet is try to stay on people's friendly sides so they don't suicide on you.
Major JediJoe

Postby generalhead on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:39 pm

All good info. JediJoe I am in a game that has been going on about that long Game 8852052. A second game is a neat idea. I had never thought of that. It is a great idea. So when some one wins the second game you just give them the first game?
Sergeant generalhead

Postby Catarah on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:37 pm

another option, which needs hardly any help from your enemies:

say 3 of you are at 1000 troops. attack one person with a stack of 200. now, likely, two of you will be at 800 troops, and one at 1000 troops. with a clear leader, you'll both attack the game-leader, bringing the 3 of you down to about 700 troops. make clear in the gamechat that this is what you're trying to do, do it a few more times, and at around 100 troops left per player(or more/less depending on the map and settings) take some risks, or see if someone else wants to take some risks. if you're lucky, it'll end. if it becomes a building game again, try again.

basically, so long as neither of you is stronger then the other two together, there's no real danger to losing yet, so feel free to waste some troops that way. also: teaming up against the 3rd guy might work, but be carefull they don't join up against you.
Captain Catarah

Postby generalhead on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:37 pm

good call catarah. Some maps seem to always deadlock, ex the baseball map. your option is a way out without creating a second game. I am not a fan of teaming up against one player in a three player game. I like the option of lowing the troops though. Thanks for that option.
Sergeant generalhead

Return to Conquer Club Discussion